Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! (958 Views)

Older Women Vs Younger Women. Guys, Which Do You Prefer? / I Think Life Is Unfair To Women & Guys Need To Be Realistic! / What Qualities Do Guys Expect From Their Partners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by topup: 2:44am On Mar 23, 2009
Hi everyone

I was thinking about the double standards I see all around me, when I came across an article in a Nigerian magazine;
It states 'the truth is, men know about 1000 less things about finding true love than women do'.

And that women should look out for certain signs, once we see these signs we can figure out how to adjust accordingly so that we don't lose the men in our lives.

What do you think about this??

The article was addressing the very common issue with men becoming distant 'after the honeymoon phase'. It involves the idea that as soon as emotions start being involved they tend to feel very threatened.

Is this response genuine? - or were they never really serious about the woman in the relationship in the first place, so that when she starts to want more emotion, they see it as a sign to run away before things get too deep.

Is it completely genuine that it's only now, that all these revelations occur; "We're not compatible.", "We are more like friends.", "The fact that I'm scared of getting deep means she's not the one."

Do guys really expect women to read them, or is it just a cut-off point that, only mature and experienced men are able to rise above??

The magazine said a lot of the 'running away' was due to immaturity and being scared to open up on a deeper level, it claimed that the most relationship-successful women knew how to talk to their men on the particular man's emotional level.

'You can't expect the man to feel how you feel, you have to explain things to him, as if he knows nothing about the situation, as if he is a third person, that way he can analyse and see the situation for what it truly is' - loosely quoted.

Opinions anyone??
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by Pataki: 3:33am On Mar 23, 2009
A relationship entails both party being able to read one another. It is not only the man who is expected to read her woman, and it is also vice-versa for the woman.

A woman who cannot read her husband's mind emotionally even without the man talking, should clearly note that is the first signal, her relationship cannot work. It is an underlining statement to understanding your man.

In respect to a man feeling threatened, it is relative. Some men are comfortable with their women understanding and reading them easily as it makes room for less quarrel and hassles, while some men feel a woman reading them/their mind, is a clear interpretation that, they (the man) are weak emotionally. Therefore, they tend to back-out and become emotionally distant from the woman. Should such a man be blamed and accused of being immature? NO, I don't think so. However, there is the role a woman should play, once she observes such. As it beholds on her to use utmost discretion, when dancing around the terrains of a man's emotion who feels unsecured at such.
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by topup: 3:49am On Mar 23, 2009
Pataki:

In respect to a man feeling threatened, it is relative. Some men are comfortable with their women understanding and reading them easily as it makes room for less quarrel and hassles, while [b]some men feel a woman reading them/their mind, is a clear interpretation that, they (the man) are weak emotionally. [/b]Therefore, they tend to back-out and become emotionally distant from the woman. [b]Should such a man be blamed and accused of being immature? NO, I don't think so. [/b]However, there is the role a woman should play, once she observes such. As it beholds on her to use utmost discretion, when dancing around the terrains of a man's emotion who feels unsecured at such.

I would like to know the role a woman should play, if a man starts to back away because he seems to have an ego complex and feels weak because she 'understands him too well' ??

Should she play dumb, or naive??
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by johnnygan(m): 3:53am On Mar 23, 2009
no opinion & no comment even if this looks like one undecided
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by Pataki: 4:03am On Mar 23, 2009
topup:

I would like to know the role a woman should play, if a man starts to back away because he seems to have an ego complex and feels weak because she 'understands him too well' ??

Should she play dumb, or naive??

No, she is not expected to play dumb or neither being naive. Every man, has his ego. To some, it is an 'emotional ego', for some others, it is 'financial responsibility ego' which must not be crossed by the woman. A woman has to learn what her man wants when it comes to his emotion and adjust herself within negotiable and reachable limits.

There are men who prefer that, even though you can read my emotions, give me 'SPACE' to sort myself out emotionally. Do not come rubbing it in my face, simply because I give out my emotions easily.

On the other hand, there are men, wherein their ego lies in making their women not being able to read them emotionally. It gives them utmost joy and satisfaction. Should the woman in that case play dumb or naive to the man??

I hope you get my picture more clearer now. smiley
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by topup: 4:35am On Mar 23, 2009
Pataki:

No, she is not expected to play dumb or neither being naive. Every man, has his ego. To some, it is an 'emotional ego', for some others, it is 'financial responsibility ego' which must not be crossed by the woman. A woman has to learn what her man wants when it comes to his emotion and adjust herself within negotiable and reachable limits.

There are men who prefer that, even though you can read my emotions, give me 'SPACE' to sort myself out emotionally. Do not come rubbing it in my face, simply because I give out my emotions easily.

On the other hand, there are men, wherein their ego lies in making their women not being able to read them emotionally. It gives them utmost joy and satisfaction. Should the woman in that case play dumb or naive to the man??

I hope you get my picture more clearer now. smiley

I think I do. I am most familiar with the second example, when two can play that game, it becomes quite scary for them maybe?? Maybe the man has always had pride knowing that he was mysterious (in fact I heard someone describe themself that way) - saying "I'm the mysterious one." (Even though he was so see-through.)

You can blame me all you want but he was trying to play games with me, and maybe he thought at my age I would be naive. . I've seen most of it all before, so I wasn't phased, and I am very spontaneous, so maybe the ego thing applied there. Also, insisting on paying 50:50, can irritate some men, whilst others appreciate a woman who does her bit. Every man is different, and I don't think it's completely our job to try and understand them, I think it is equally their job to try and help us understand them (unless you come across the type who doesn't want to be understood tongue)
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by C2H5OH(f): 5:24am On Mar 23, 2009
You can't read me. I am not a book.
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by Nobody: 7:45am On Mar 23, 2009
I'm grossly unpredictable,when a woman begins to act like she knows too much about me,i feel she has crossed her boundaries already,n such a woman can kill me.Most things i do are not repeated twice,n my countenance is not a function of my emotion.Most times when i feel hysterical,it cant be noticed by any woman except myself,n i never let women know what my emotions truely are.The little she knows about me,d better.But one trait they have survived in understandin when i'm so so so angry,i smile. I'm talkin about myself,dont know of other men
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by Isuata: 7:17pm On Mar 23, 2009
n a place wia everytin was perfect, it beholds dat both parties should be able to read each other. it should be one of the core assignments of both parties to read one anoda to knw wats wat at evry point in time. becos it wld make dem understand each oda well and dey wld hav a smooth relationship. but most women feel its the job of the man to read to read em and dem nnot to read the man, for wateva rison. for i me i take pride in been able to read my woman from miles afar-wen i cant read a woman den dias bound to be a problem and ofcourse i av not found a like mind like me yet in a woman wu is able to read me. and most times i feel bad and funny wen a gal tells me "ah, we re meant to be togeda" just becos i took time to study her to knw her moods dat wen she speaks on fone -i knw wats goin thru her mind-wen she says some tins i knw shes lieing even if i cant prove it yet-and they'll be like"how did yu knw-we re meant for each oda" and sudddenly i feel like a geek,

i think women must make it a point of duty to knw dia men for so many risons-infact one of the foremost will be becos of security-yu re able to knw wats wat before it hits.

and as for women with men wu feel insecure about dia women readin dem-it all falls into place becos wen yu finally knw yu re abl to be wise with yur findings and knw wen not to cross yur boundaries
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by Nobody: 1:58am On Mar 24, 2009
tiniyata:

I'm grossly unpredictable,when a woman begins to act like she knows too much about me,i feel she has crossed her boundaries already,n such a woman can kill me.Most things i do are not repeated twice,n my countenance is not a function of my emotion.Most times when i feel hysterical,it cant be noticed by any woman except myself,n i never let women know what my emotions truely are.The little she knows about me,d better.But one trait they have survived in understandin when i'm so so so angry,i smile. I'm talkin about myself,dont know of other men

What's the discretion all about? Are you James Bond? cheesy Such attitude is not good at all. It's more like you're playing games, and shouldn't be taken seriously when it comes to relationships.
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by topup: 4:10am On Mar 24, 2009
stillwater:

What's the discretion all about? Are you James Bond? cheesy Such attitude is not good at all. It's more like you're playing games, and shouldn't be taken seriously when it comes to relationships.

I think some men think that being able to be read shows 'vulnerability'. They think, if a woman can read their mind, then the woman has the advantage and power to manipulate it and alter their behaviour and they are

Okay, let me give you guys an example;

A man pours his heart and soul to a woman, crying over the phone, and soon starts to speed things up in the relationship, claiming to be moving to a deeper level and falling in love. However, as soon as she starts to show signs that she too is moving in the same direction, he becomes dramatically distant to her.

I was phased with this scenario, I can't quite figure out what advice to give this woman, in terms of what the guy's actions are saying or what they really mean. I'm very confused.
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by iice(f): 12:55pm On Mar 24, 2009
Pataki:

A woman who cannot read her husband's mind emotionally even without the man talking, should clearly note that is the first signal, her relationship cannot work. It is an underlining statement to understanding your man.

Thank you jare.
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by vanderjo(m): 4:50pm On Mar 24, 2009
topup,
When a man gets scared when her woman reads him,then it shows immaturity and lack of self belief,For God's sake are we not talking about your wife here?a man that does that, i think doesn't truely love you,when a man loves a woman truely,he will open up to the woman and he has no fear and also it shows there is no trust on the part of the man too.
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by Nobody: 6:21pm On Mar 24, 2009
@stillwater,everybody aint same,some ladies capitalizes on ur weaknesses,n use is as a medium to take advantage of u.Imagine,a lady telling his fiance that even if i cheat on you again,what would u do,u'll only avoid me for sometime and come back beggin me after a week,Imagine!!! Or another lady tellin the husband that 'if u like frown ur face from now till eternity,u cant do anything,cos u have never done anything,u weak man' just because the man always frowns when his wife comes home late from work,when she is supposed to have been back hours earlier,or didn't cook the husbands meal,cos she feels she's too much for her husband and d husband cant talk to her.She fails to realize that the man is just been a gentleman,n wouldn't want to do any nasty thing,but to her,the man is just a weaklin,just because she has so read d mans mind n she knows d man cant hurt a fly.So u see,i'm not so succeptible
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by viperman: 6:59pm On Mar 24, 2009
tiniyata:

@stillwater,everybody aint same,some ladies capitalizes on ur weaknesses,n use is as a medium to take advantage of u.Imagine,a lady telling his fiance that even if i cheat on you again,what would u do,u'll only avoid me for sometime and come back beggin me after a week,Imagine!!! Or another lady tellin the husband that 'if u like frown ur face from now till eternity,u cant do anything,cos u have never done anything,u weak man' just because the man always frowns when his wife comes home late from work,when she is supposed to have been back hours earlier,or didn't cook the husbands meal,cos she feels she's too much for her husband and d husband cant talk to her.She fails to realize that the man is just been a gentleman,n wouldn't want to do any nasty thing,but to her,the man is just a weaklin,just because she has so read d mans mind n she knows d man cant hurt a fly.So u see,i'm not so succeptible

That is the problem there. The mn has made her believe he can't hurt a fly nor do anything even if she hurts him multiple times.
In that case, the man is actually weak because, she's virtually told him she wants soemone that will treat her like a little girl, scold and knock her whenever she misbehaves, but he's not livign up to expectation.
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by viperman: 7:02pm On Mar 24, 2009
@Topup

We don't expect you to read our minds, that is scary. Is the woman a witch? grin
What we expect from the woman is Patience, Understanding and Love, in that order. Simple.
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by Nobody: 7:39pm On Mar 24, 2009
@viperman,if a man should touch that kind of a girl,n comes here to say it,all d women/ladies here will crucify him,insult him,frustrate him with their comments,n before my guy explain why he did it,na so so slap dem go take reply am.
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by topup: 4:59am On Mar 25, 2009
tiniyata:

@stillwater,everybody aint same,some ladies capitalizes on ur weaknesses,n use is as a medium to take advantage of u. Imagine,a lady telling his fiance that even if i cheat on you again,what would u do,u'll only avoid me for sometime and come back beggin me after a week,Imagine!!! [b]Or another lady tellin the husband that 'if u like frown ur face from now till eternity,u cant do anything,cos u have never done anything,u weak man' just because the man always frowns when his wife comes home late from work,when she is supposed to have been back hours earlier,or didn't cook the husbands meal,cos she feels she's too much for her husband and d husband cant talk to her.She fails to realize that the man is just been a gentleman,n wouldn't want to do any nasty thing,but to her,the man is just a weaklin,just because she has so read d mans mind n she knows d man cant hurt a fly.[/b]So u see,i'm not so succeptible

My response to this reply is that the problem is with the type of woman the man ended up with. Are we advising that the man should become a harsh person because he is with a meaner kind of woman? Or is it that he should have picked a nicer woman. Ok, ok, that's all obviously information and advice from hindsight (after the marriage), but really, if you know the type of person you're dealing with, you can understand how to communicate with them.

Some people don't need words to understand, whilst others do.

In the example above, the woman understands and acknowledges that the man is unhappy (maybe she does not understand why he is frowning at her) - but she acknowledges the fact that he is unhappy. But understanding the reason why he is unhappy is what will make the difference. She may as well believe that he is frowning at her because he does not agree with the idea of having an independent wife which could make her angry as she believes she should have equal rights, equally, the man could believe that she understands that he is unhappy about certain things; like the dinner not being cooked or her coming home late from work, and maybe he believes she is ignoring his subtle warnings, despite knowing the exact cause of his unhappiness. All of these are assumptions which can be cleared with communication and knowing the type of person you are dealing with.

Why should a man feel like he can't speak to his wife because she is being rude? Was this an arranged marriage??

Responding to the individual scenario; I have often seen this before; my mother through desperation to please my father rushes home from work (when he is on holiday) to drop her bags and make food for my dad who has been free at home all day and napping. Of course if she felt too tired to cook and came home to rest and found that her husband had been sat down waiting for her, she may be angry (luckily - my mother has been no less than the perfect housewife AND careerwoman AND mother - with my hand on my heart I say this), and so I believe she has all the right to get mad if my dad was angry at her for coming home from work and keeping him waiting.

Luckily for me, my dad understands this language and he compensates for her, afterall they are in this together, he gets up and makes a meal which they both can enjoy, because he is free and understands that she would do the same for him. That is rare.
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by oluwafemi113(m): 6:20am On Mar 25, 2009
sorry join you later grin grin grin
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 25, 2009
@topup,in your own case,its clear ur parents understood themselves so well,but from my own story,it meant the woman understood d husband so well,n his weakness was now used as an avenue to frustrate him.But if d woman never read d husband so well,i do not think his ego would have been so let down or even compromised.The woman misbehaves because she's a bad wife *
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 25, 2009
* n maybe such traits were not visible before they got married,so thats y d man didn't notice,so d man made his mind so clear for the woman to read,hence d "see finish" in their marriage.So u see,as a man,it aint so ideal,considering some women's ill-mannered attitude
Re: It's Not Just Women - Guys Expect Us To Be Able To Read Them Too ! by C2H5OH(f): 7:46am On Mar 27, 2009
If somebody truly loves you, that person priorities your happiness. That doesn't mean one lover must selfishly demand his/her way while ignoring the other's feelings. What it does mean is that your lover should work with you to achieve mutual satisfaction in times of trouble.

It's a bit immature and unfair to automatically expect your lover/partner to read their mind or to figure out why you are unhappy without you saying a word.

(1) (Reply)

I Love Her, But She Smokes Too Much Green / ... / How To Make Yourself The Man Every Lady Wants To Go Out With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.