Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,899 members, 7,828,166 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ (1976 Views)

Patience Jonathan Explains How She Made $15m, Says “i Saved For 15 Years” / Stealing Is Not Corruption - Ekpo Nta, ICPC Boss / Legal Proof That Stealing Is Different From Corruption. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by pikin(m): 3:51pm On Aug 12, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday clarified what he meant by stealing is not corruption, saying he was quoted out of context.

Responding to questions during a presidential media chat on Wednesday, the President explained that the remark flowed from a discussion he had with a former chief justice of the federation, who told him of how he had to distinguish straight acts of stealing from other forms of corruption he acted upon.
“People who told you I said stealing is not corruption did not tell you I said stealing is good. That is why philosophers say that the primary reason people disagree is because people use one statement to explain two typical things or vice versa.
“I made that statement because I quoted the former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Mustapha, (when) I called a meeting then, with the anti-crime organisations and the judiciary.
“The CJN, Mustapha decided to take a look at the files that dealt with corruption and more than 80 per cent of them were just cases of stealing. But people use corruption to cover all. What I am saying is that let us go to the South-West and go to a typical community and they look at you and say this man is corrupt, people will be looking at you. But call that same man “ole”, that is thief, and see what will happen to him. Our people hate thieves more than corrupt people, yet most times, we use corruption to cover the lapses.
“A thief should be called a thief and treated as such. In my village, when an adult steals, they strip him unclad, humiliate him and his family, but if you say this man is corrupt, they won’t know what you are talking about. We are using corruption to cover it all up.
“So, let us communicate properly. It was not me that said it, I quoted Mustapha. He examined the corruption cases and he saw that they were just cases of stealing.
“We are identifying thieves; we can talk about what the agencies are doing. We have made more convictions in this period than before. But I always say that the answer is not convicting more people. We must make sure that they don’t steal. Do not put the money where they can steal it. That is what we are doing.”

http://www.informationng.com/2015/02/jonathan-explains-stealing-is-not-corruption.html
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by gabazin080(m): 3:57pm On Aug 12, 2015
Its too late to cry when the head is chopped off
Buhari won't hear this
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by BashMe1(m): 4:03pm On Aug 12, 2015
Mr lecturer, Thank u o! dis is y d students u taught r now findin' it difficult to secure jobs. Iranu

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by Icecomrade: 4:28pm On Aug 12, 2015
gabazin080:

Buhari won't hear this

This statement was made during presidential media chat on 11 February 2015.

So stupid of the educated illiterate Wole Soyinka not to have sought explanation before quoting GEJ out of context during the interview he granted to Zero Tolerance.

@Gbazin is also towing the same line without proper education

This country is full of hate. It be clouds reasoning and shuts our conscience.
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by socialmediaman: 4:33pm On Aug 12, 2015
Being a national figure, GEJ was very wrong to have tried to differentiate both stealing and corruption, because to a sane and educated mind, corruption is even more grevious or serious than stealing.

Corruption should be seen the same way rape or child molestion is seen, it was the elites and national figures that sowed that seed to sink into the minds of citizens.

Why is it that corruption carries death penalty in China? Because it's a very grevious crime. Why is it that Corruption carries up to 13 years and upwards in civilized countries while stealing could carry less? Because they take corruption very seriously...

So how could a president try to play down on the gravity of corruption? Stealing is grave, but corruption is more grevious in my opinion. stealing is like murder while corruption could be regarded as genocide depending on the degree of it

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by udemzyudex(m): 4:35pm On Aug 12, 2015
gabazin080:

Buhari won't hear this

Did you even bother to check the source? Cos if u did, you would have seen the date of the article...

The op is a confuse human being trying to confuse others by posting outdated article...
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by olumidazz: 4:47pm On Aug 12, 2015
@ socialmediaman that was exactly what the morone Jonathan was trying to say but he could not articulate it well enough, he also did not understand that corruption is a compound name for all crimes if not he wouldn't have bothered stressing the difference between stealing and corruption just because one CJ said so.
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 12, 2015
jonapeace Nnamundi azwuke pelele
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by baralatie(m): 5:23pm On Aug 12, 2015
Icecomrade:

This statement was made during presidential media chat on 11 February 2015.

So stupid of the educated illiterate Wole Soyinka not to have sought explanation before quoting GEJ out of context during the interview he granted to Zero Tolerance.

@Gbazin is also towing the same line without proper education

This country is full of hate. It be clouds reasoning and shuts our conscience.
[/b]
spot on!
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 5:27pm On Aug 12, 2015
socialmediaman:
Being a national figure, GEJ was very wrong to have tried to differentiate both stealing and corruption, because to a sane and educated mind, corruption is even more grevious or serious than stealing.

Corruption should be seen the same way rape or child molestion is seen, it was the elites and national figures that sowed that seed to sink into the minds of citizens.

Why is it that corruption carries death penalty in China? Because it's a very grevious crime. Why is it that Corruption carries up to 13 years and upwards in civilized countries while stealing could carry less? Because they take corruption very seriously...

So how could a president try to play down on the gravity of corruption? Stealing is grave, but corruption is more grevious in my opinion. stealing is like murder while corruption could be regarded as genocide depending on the degree of it

Don't separate the comment from the context.

In my town, corruption as defined is just a moral depravity and almost everybody have his/her bad side hence social stigma is hardly attached while a thief has no honour and is generally ostracized that nobody accepts gift from such a one.

Jonathan and the chief Justice were just emphasizing on the need to criminalise looting as abomination instead of a mere sin and consequently give the perpetrators the same treatment given to thieves in our society.
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by socialmediaman: 5:57pm On Aug 12, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

Don't separate the comment from the context.

In my town, corruption as defined is just a moral depravity and almost everybody have his/her bad side hence social stigma is hardly attached while a thief has no honour and is generally ostracized that nobody accepts gift from such a one.

Jonathan and the chief Justice were just emphasizing on the need to criminalise looting as abomination instead of a mere sin and consequently give the perpetrators the same treatment given to thieves in our society.

This is wrong. Corruption should be seen as evil, much more than stealing, because it has to do with betrayal of trust. Can you associate with a known betrayer? A corrupt person is a betrayer. He has no honor and that's how corruption should be seen. It's like you give someone money traveling home from abroad to give to some sick couple in your village but he keeps the money for himself and the couple dies because they didn't get the money for treatment. Tell me, how will you feel about the person? You would even prefer that thieves stole the money than a trusted friend did such a horrible thing knowing that the couple desperately needed the money. That's how corruption should be preached, not try to call it stealing while hiding the fact that it's more grevious and serious than stealing

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by sammyj: 6:06pm On Aug 12, 2015
grin grin
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by sammyj: 6:06pm On Aug 12, 2015
This inventor of wailers and clueless man still have the mouth to talk after putting the country into economic and finance chaos!!! cool
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by oduastates: 6:24pm On Aug 12, 2015
All he was doing was giving cover to thieves.
He was muddling a settled issue and making a new localised version of the interpretation of corruption in Nigeria .
In other words ,Jonathan was saying that corrupt people are different from and are better than thieves .
In fact , it is cool to be corrupt since people do not have a clue.
When did the interpretation of national laws turn to village matter
After all, How much Nwobodo stole ?
Ordinary $4 million
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 8:38pm On Aug 12, 2015
socialmediaman:

This is wrong. Corruption should be seen as evil, much more than stealing, because it has to do with betrayal of trust. Can you associate with a known betrayer? A corrupt person is a betrayer. He has no honor and that's how corruption should be seen. It's like you give someone money traveling home from abroad to give to some sick couple in your village but he keeps the money for himself and the couple dies because they didn't get the money for treatment. Tell me, how will you feel about the person? You would even prefer that thieves stole the money than a trusted friend did such a horrible thing knowing that the couple desperately needed the money. That's how corruption should be preached, not try to call it stealing while hiding the fact that it's more grevious and serious than stealing

In my domain including in campuses, one can forgive you for calling or addressing him/her as corrupt but try calling them thief and see if you will live to tell the story - This is Nigeria context and we all should understand it that way.

You are not more intelligible than the Chief Justice.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by socialmediaman: 9:46pm On Aug 12, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

In my domain including in campuses, one can forgive you for calling or addressing him/her as corrupt but try calling them thief and see if you will live to tell the story - This is Nigeria context and we all should understand it that way.

You are not more intelligible than the Chief Justice.

You mean the same judges trying not to be seen as evil because they're corrupt? You need to know the truth, not what they tell you. They're trying to play down on it because they're corrupt people. But you know what? Try it abroad and see the difference

My point is, there's no "Nigerian context" when it comes to corruption and stealing. People like GEJ and the Chief judge should be the ones preaching "hate for corrupt people" into our minds. Many years before now, you would've said the same thing about rape because we didn't consider it so evil, it was the elites that educated us to see it as very despicable, just like we're launching a campaign against early child marriage now, many years from now, it will be seen as evil in our society, but we have to preach the message, not play down on its seriousness, That's my point.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 10:11pm On Aug 12, 2015
socialmediaman:

You mean the same judges trying not to be seen as evil because they're corrupt? You need to know the truth, not what they tell you. They're trying to play down on it because they're corrupt people. But you know what? Try it abroad and see the difference

My point is, there's no "Nigerian context" when it comes to corruption and stealing. People like GEJ and the Chief judge should be the ones preaching "hate for corrupt people" into our minds. Many years before now, you would've said the same thing about rape because we didn't consider it so evil, it was the elites that educated us to see it as very despicable, just like we're launching a campaign against early child marriage now, many years from now, it will be seen as evil in our society, but we have to preach the message, not play down on its seriousness, That's my point.

Stop being clever by half, they weren't in any way diminishing the absurdity of crimes associated with corruption rather they just said the same thing God told us in proverbs "There are six things God hate yet seven are abomination in his eyes" followed by the list which includes shedding innocent blood etc.

Now blame God for making such statement.

When hate beclouds someones sense of judgement, he/she begins to look for substance in innocuous comments to express his bitterness over nothing.
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by MrCounselor: 10:12pm On Aug 12, 2015
...adonkia
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by subterfuge: 10:55pm On Aug 12, 2015
BashMe1:
Mr lecturer, Thank u o! dis is yadvise youtudents u taught r now findin' it difficult to secure jobs. Iranu
MR PROFESSOR!! abi NA DOG-TOR of explanation?
That is why you spent so much time teaching PATIENCE wrong motor park grammar!!!
YOU WERE BUSY TEACHING HER YOUR OWN GRAMMER INSTEAD OF ENROLLING PATIENCE IN ADULT SCHOOL .
All your CSO'S ATEKE TOM. TOMPOLO and ASARE DOKUBO could not even advise you well!!!
Re: Jonathan Explains ‘stealing Is Not Corruption’ by subterfuge: 7:22pm On Aug 14, 2015
subterfuge post=WORD??7393:

MR PROFESSOR!! abi NA DOG-TOR of explanation?
That is why you spent so much time teaching PATIENCE wrong motor park grammar!!!
YOU WERE BUSY TEACHING HER YOUR OWN GRAMMER INSTEAD OF ENROLLING PATIENCE IN ADULT SCHOOL .
All your CSO'S ATEKE TOM. TOMPOLO and ASARE DOKUBO could not even advise you well!!!

HOW DRUNKEN FISHERMAN GO HEAR WORD

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Nigeria A Member Of Organization Of Islamic Corporation (OIC) ? / Nigerian History: 10 Notable Moments In The History Of Nigeria / How To Make More Than #5,000 Daily In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.