Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,437 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

Scientists Lit A Cave Of Natural Gas In 1971 And It Still Burns To This Day! - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Scientists Lit A Cave Of Natural Gas In 1971 And It Still Burns To This Day! (1550 Views)

Elon Musk Develop Mini Submarine To Rescue Thai Kids Stranded In Cave / Elon Musk is sending A Team Rescue Trapped Football Team Thailand Cave. / 5 Benefits Of Using Natural Gas Generators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Lit A Cave Of Natural Gas In 1971 And It Still Burns To This Day! by BraniacX(m): 10:43am On Aug 14, 2015
Near Darvaz, Uzbekistan, geologists were
drilling for gas. They ended up drilling into a
huge natural cavern that went super deep. The
cavern was filled with gas, so none of them
dared to explore the cavern and how deep it
really went. They decided to light the cavern on
fire, so that no poisonous gases would escape.
This all went down in 1971, and they expected
the fire to burn for a few days or so. Fast
forward to today and the cavern is still ablaze. It
hasn’t stopped burning in over 35 years. It’s
now known as “The Door to Hell”.
Nobody has been able to calculate just how
many tons of natural gas has burned
throughout the years at the cavern sight, but it
is a major loss of a natural resource and a total
waste. They definitely should have done a little
extra math or exploring before lighting a cavern
on fire wasting millions of dollars of natural
resources.

www.omgfacts.com/lists/10474/Scientists-lit-a-cave-of-natural-gas-in-1971-expecting-it-to-burn-out-in-a-few-days-but-it-still-burns-to-this-day-ab903-1?utm_source=OMGFacts&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=ClassicCards

Re: Scientists Lit A Cave Of Natural Gas In 1971 And It Still Burns To This Day! by princealexndre(m): 9:25am On Aug 16, 2015
Awon ÁPÀ
Re: Scientists Lit A Cave Of Natural Gas In 1971 And It Still Burns To This Day! by Blakjewelry(m): 10:49am On Aug 16, 2015
See money
Re: Scientists Lit A Cave Of Natural Gas In 1971 And It Still Burns To This Day! by sinaj(f): 1:33pm On Aug 16, 2015
shocked

itx buriful smiley
Re: Scientists Lit A Cave Of Natural Gas In 1971 And It Still Burns To This Day! by bqlekan(m): 10:09pm On Aug 16, 2015
I think its better..prevents the risk of methane getting into the atmosphere.. a deadly gas
Re: Scientists Lit A Cave Of Natural Gas In 1971 And It Still Burns To This Day! by Blakjewelry(m): 10:49pm On Aug 16, 2015
bqlekan:
I think its better..prevents the risk of methane getting into the atmosphere.. a deadly gas
I think burning it is worst. If it had been left alone maybe a proper way to make use of it today would have emerge.
Re: Scientists Lit A Cave Of Natural Gas In 1971 And It Still Burns To This Day! by bqlekan(m): 11:00pm On Aug 16, 2015
Blakjewelry:

I think burning it is worst. If it had been left alone maybe a proper way to make use of it today would have emerge.
no, it was an accidental discovery and the escaping gas can't be stopped. The risk of getting methane into the atmosphere was well avoided by burning the gas..
Re: Scientists Lit A Cave Of Natural Gas In 1971 And It Still Burns To This Day! by Blakjewelry(m): 12:16am On Aug 17, 2015
bqlekan:
no, it was an accidental discovery and the escaping gas can't be stopped. The risk of getting methane into the atmosphere was well avoided by burning the gas..
Well I nature has it own way of balancing itself, apart from volcano burning is process initiated by man thereby adding more carbon to the atmosphere thereby confusing nature's own design
Re: Scientists Lit A Cave Of Natural Gas In 1971 And It Still Burns To This Day! by bqlekan(m): 9:41pm On Aug 17, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Well I nature has it own way of balancing itself, apart from volcano burning is process initiated by man thereby adding more carbon to the atmosphere thereby confusing nature's own design
yeah. you are right, nature has its own... methane in the air is more potent a greenhouse gas than carbon, it has a high ability of absorbing heat which there by causing global warming. although it does not linger much on the atmosphere like CO2, but it is deadlier.. I think they did the right thing by setting the cave ablaze

(1) (Reply)

10 Technologies That Didn't Exist 10 Years Ago / Could Computers And Robots Become Conscious? If So, What Happens Then? / Is It Just Me Or Is Cobranet Like Mad Expensive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.