Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,310 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

7 Places To Visit - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 7 Places To Visit (2930 Views)

Nigeria Ranked 5th Most Dangerous Place For Americans To Visit / Interesting Places And Tourist Attractions In Lagos / 5 Exciting Places To Visit In Warri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Places To Visit by Mutendiwashe(f): 11:16am On Aug 14, 2015
Re: 7 Places To Visit by Mutendiwashe(f): 11:23am On Aug 14, 2015
1. Victoria Falls

It was previously known as Mosi-oa-Tunya which means the Thunder that smokes, later renamed by David Livingstone to Victoria Falls after Queen Victoria.
It is located on the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia. In my opnion the best view of the falls is on the Zimbabwean side ( i hope there is no Zambian on the forum). It is one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World. The falls is 1,708m wide and 108m deep.

Word of advice, you will need to carry a raincoat if you wish to get a really good view of falls. If you are one of the crazy people you can take a swim in the devil's pool, which is natural pool located on the very edge of the sheer drop. This can only however be done on the Zambian side.

2. Harare

It is the capital city of Zimbabwe and it has a population of about 1,500,000 people. There is a whole lot to do in the capital. Go to game parks, visit the city centre, go to the malls, lakes, the list is endless.

The people are friendly and you shouldn't worry of you ever get lost. People are always willing to help.

3. Chinhoyi Caves

These are a group of limestone caves located in Mashonaland West Province. One of the mysteries that surrounds the Caves, and inspires their name, involves Chinhoyi, a Headman who defeated and killed the Nyamakwere outlaws. They used the Caves as their stronghold and murdered many victims by throwing them into the Silent Pool. Skip hundreds of years later, people now go diving into pool. grin

Re: 7 Places To Visit by Mutendiwashe(f): 11:24am On Aug 14, 2015
4. Kariba
It is one of the hottest places in the country, but the heat can never stop one from visiting the beautiful nature that surrounds the.

Like other places in Zimbabwe it has its own mysteries. One of them being the Nyami Nyami. The Nyami Nyami, otherwise known as the Zambezi River God or Zambezi Snake spirit, is one of the most important gods of the Tonga people. Nyami Nyami is believed to protect the Tonga people and give them sustenance in difficult times. The River God is usually portrayed as male.

Variously described as having the body of a snake and the head of a fish, a whirlpool or a river dragon, the Nyami Nyami is seen as the god of Zambezi Valley and the river before the creation of the Kariba Dam. The Nyami Nyami is regularly depicted as a snake-like being or dragon-like creature with a snake's torso and the head of a fish.

You can never get enough of the amazing views when the sun sets and when it rises. It will be the best and probably the most romantic place to have your honeymoon (for a landlocked country), if you do not mind the heat.

To all those who love fishing. You will fall in love with Kariba.

Re: 7 Places To Visit by Mutendiwashe(f): 11:24am On Aug 14, 2015
5. Hwange National Park

It is the largest Game Reserve in Zimbabwe. You can get the full wildlife experience in Hwange. There are a variety of species you can see including the "Big Five". It is the best place for camping and you can enjoy game drives around the park during the day.

If your family tags along, be assured that your kids would love some of the tree house accommodation available on the park.

This was were one of the most popular lions in the world ( Cecil the Lion) was before he was killed in July 2015 at 13years.

Re: 7 Places To Visit by Mutendiwashe(f): 11:25am On Aug 14, 2015
6. Great Zimbabwe

It is known as Dzimbadzamabwe and it means house of stone, which is where the name Zimbabwe came from. It is recognised as a World Heritage Site.

Great Zimbabwe is a ruined city in the southeastern hills of Zimbabwe near Lake Mutirikwe and the town of Masvingo. It was the capital of the Kingdom of Zimbabwe during the country's Late Iron Age.

Construction on the monument by ancestors of the Shona people began in the 11th century and continued until the 15th century,spanning an area of 722 hectares which, at its peak, could have housed up to 18,000 people.

Re: 7 Places To Visit by justwise(m): 11:34am On Aug 14, 2015
I have visited all apart from Kariba dam

1 Like

Re: 7 Places To Visit by Mutendiwashe(f): 11:45am On Aug 14, 2015
justwise:
I have visited all apart from Kariba dam
if you ever decide to visit, all you will need to pack is singlets, shorts and slippers. Its very hot
Re: 7 Places To Visit by justwise(m): 11:49am On Aug 14, 2015
Mutendiwashe:
if you ever decide to visit, all you will need to pack is singlets, shorts and slippers. Its very hot

The weather was friendly when we visited those places though by then i have lived in Zim for about a year and used to weather there
Re: 7 Places To Visit by Mutendiwashe(f): 12:00pm On Aug 14, 2015
justwise:

The weather was friendly when we visited those places though by then i have lived in Zim for about a year and used to weather there
Every other place in Zimbabwe has friendly weather but not Kariba trust me, na Sahara Desert be that.
How long where you in Zim for? Are you Nigerian?
Re: 7 Places To Visit by justwise(m): 12:03pm On Aug 14, 2015
Mutendiwashe:

Every other place in Zimbabwe has friendly weather but not Kariba trust me, na Sahara Desert be that.
How long where you in Zim for? Are you Nigerian?

Yes you are right Kariba from what i was told is pretty hot though i wouldn't mind that.

I was in Zim for about 4 yrs, yes i'm a Nigerian
Re: 7 Places To Visit by Mutendiwashe(f): 12:12pm On Aug 14, 2015
justwise:

Yes you are right Kariba from what i was told is pretty hot though i wouldn't mind that.

I was in Zim for about 4 yrs, yes i'm a Nigerian
That's nice. Hopefully you enjoyed the stay
Re: 7 Places To Visit by justwise(m): 12:17pm On Aug 14, 2015
Mutendiwashe:

I definitely enjoyed it...not forgetting half price Tuesday movie at Westgate, Tropicana afternoon club for students and many fun stuff
Re: 7 Places To Visit by justwise(m): 12:22pm On Aug 14, 2015
Mutendiwashe:

I'm guessing you are a Zimbabwean?
Re: 7 Places To Visit by Mutendiwashe(f): 12:42pm On Aug 14, 2015
justwise:

I'm guessing you are a Zimbabwean?
yes i am. I haven't been to Westgate in ages but i remember as a child we went there for Tues half price movies a lot during holidays.
Re: 7 Places To Visit by Mutendiwashe(f): 1:04pm On Aug 14, 2015
7. Mutarazi Waterfalls

It is 6th of the highest falls in the world and the second in Africa. It is 762metres high.
It is situated in Nyanga in the Eastern Highlands which has the most breathtaking mountain views in Zimbabwe. Nyanga is probably the most cold place in Zimbabwe during winter.

You can go on a short hike to the border of the slope and scenic view of Honde Valley and the waterfalls. It presents a captivating sight of 2 almost identical drops as the Mtarazi river flows over the face of the cliff.

(1) (Reply)

New Train Model For Abuja Light Rail On The Way / My Chat With A Chinese National On What Really Happened. / Should I Go To Norway Or South Korean For Greener Pasture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.