Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,894 members, 7,956,371 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:46 AM

People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) (68515 Views)

Delta Women Protest Over Shops In An Unusual Manner (Photo) / Ayriri Emami Storms The Streets Of Lagos In A 1965 Customized Bentley.Pics/Video / Man Selling Doughnut On The Streets Of Akwa Ibom (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by SmartMugu: 6:19pm On Aug 20, 2015
TheDauraMallam:

The Queen is a hierarchial thing. We still have the Obas here in Nigeria.

So your analogy is faulty.

What you're supposed to ask yourself is this: this is 2015, and why are Nigerians still stuck in medieval fetishism and willful ignorance?

Why?

The average Nigerian was a traditionalist in the 1800s, and the foreigners came here with a more packaged idea of the afterlife and we swallowed their hook, like and sinker.

Now the destitue country is filled with 98% of religious fanatics.

Why can't an average black man think for himself?
I agree with the fact that the foreigners' coming to Africa may have held us back; they introduced several beliefs we all worship today, when they themselves don't leverage them as much as we carry am for head. We could have been fine with what we believed in before their intervention.

However, my concern is that something is always constant - change. Even the foreigners know when to change to other alternatives after considering the pros and cons of the current state. In our traditional case, there is no such word. Things still have to be done like it was in the days of Orunmila, Opobo, Obatala, Sango, Oduduwa etc - that's what the traditionalists believe, and if we all grew up thinking like that without the foreigners coming in the first place, we would have ended up as savages like our forefathers were to them.
I'd admit many of us gained wisdom from what we have learnt so far from foreigners and some of us now even know certain things more than them.

It's just an issue knowing some of us simply would not change anything about what we believe in because it worked for our ancestors hundreds of years ago.
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 20, 2015
people in white?
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by TheDauraMallam: 6:30pm On Aug 20, 2015
SmartMugu:

I agree with the fact that the foreigners' coming to Africa may have held us back; they introduced several beliefs we all worship today, when they themselves don't leverage them as much as we carry am for head. We could have been fine with what we believed in before their intervention.

However, my concern is that something is always constant - change. Even the foreigners know when to change to other alternatives after considering the pros and cons of the current state. In our traditional case, there is no such word. Things still have to be done like it was in the days of Orunmila, Opobo, Obatala, Sango, Oduduwa etc - that's what the traditionalists believe, and if we all grew up thinking like that without the foreigners coming in the first place, we would have ended up as savages like our forefathers were to them.
I'd admit many of us gained wisdom from what we have learnt so far from foreigners and some of us now even know certain things more than them.

It's just an issue knowing some of us simply would not change anything about what we believe in because it worked for our ancestors hundreds of years ago.

Thank you for your most responsible analysis.

Let's go back to history a bit (even though it had been disallowed as a subject by the Ministry of Education under Jonathan's regime...)

Whites value their tradition, there is a clause.

Worldwide, mature religionists and non religionists enjoy heritage. They enjoy festivals. I am not a moslem and I enjoy Ileya celebrations like crazy, even though I don't believe in what they are celebrating.

Same goes to alot of other religious festivities. Non believers and all.

But there is a clause. We enjoy these things because they are heritage, and not because they do us any good.
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by ufelove(m): 6:33pm On Aug 20, 2015
IsiCaterpillar:
r
Regenerate?, rooster?, rover?, rubbish?..Rooney?.. Which one?
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by phonesNgadgets: 6:41pm On Aug 20, 2015
Isese lagba. cool Believe in what you believe in, and follow it with faith.

Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by Femoooo(m): 6:56pm On Aug 20, 2015
NIGERIA....
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by 9jatatafo(m): 7:00pm On Aug 20, 2015
White garment things.
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by arabaribiti(m): 7:01pm On Aug 20, 2015
Today all over the yoruba land we celebrate isese day, all the deities are worship ogun,ifa,esu,egun,sango,oya,obatala and many more this happen every 20th august

2 Likes

Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by neocortex: 7:13pm On Aug 20, 2015
LadyBoss1:
pwts cultural about this
Pls elaborate smiley
So dats what u go tell GOD on judgement day abi , its culture .. embarassed

What is wrong about appreciating ones culture ?
You don't have to live under the perpetual fear of
"judgement day" , live your life!

2 Likes

Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 20, 2015
neocortex:

What is wrong about appreciating ones culture ?
You don't have to live under the perpetual fear of
"judgement day" , live your life!
Sorry i fear GOd , u wont u derstand smiley
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by ajebuter(f): 7:20pm On Aug 20, 2015
Those are ogboni brotherhood having their annual ISESE celebration.

They are everywhere in Lagos and they are harmless as long as u avoid them during their street procession.

Its their religion and believe and they are harmless

1 Like

Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 20, 2015
I just asked a brother of mine that does business at computer village, he said every 20th of August, this usually take place and people don't open shops because it goes with human rituals. sad
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by sinola(m): 7:24pm On Aug 20, 2015
Youbas and their diabolic and fettish tradition....mtchewww

...and na them go go white garment church,redeem church,mountain on fire,deeper life,winners pass any other tribe#wolves in sheep's clothing.

whatever they do,they'll never intimidate us,ummunna.

Anyi ga na eje eje na abata abata makana oje mba enwe iro ka anyi bu....Igbo kwenu!!!!!!
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by Charly68: 7:34pm On Aug 20, 2015
From the pictures above,it seems this people are in Ogboni confraternity ..the women among them put on shaki their traditional dress
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by Alihkizito(m): 7:48pm On Aug 20, 2015
auntysimbiat:
A lot of shops in the Ikeja area of Lagos were locked today and many streets deserted as people in white were seen walking around the area. The reader who witnessed it and sent in the photos said it's 'Oro'. Don't know what that means.

See photo below :

http://nairanaijanews..com/2015/08/see-photos-people-wearing-white-take.html
i was beside your large back,u never knew...
Hope u heard how they maltreated another dude in akinremi.
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by Richy4(m): 7:52pm On Aug 20, 2015
And what are the Lagos state police doing about it.
Because I believe when a person or group of people's activity bring fear to it's citizens, that is when reasonable people should call the police to question their activities.

If it was a harmless one, they took it upon themselves to assure the citizens to continue their activities for the day. Not luck up shops.

Nigerians should learn how to make use of the police. Not only when neighbours are fighting.
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by nicolas247(m): 7:56pm On Aug 20, 2015
disumusa:
you don die b/4. Becauas your tribe lack culture,norms,value.
Do you remember what happened to the early twins in Nigeria which was norm, culture and possibly value then. Some one has to rise up and stop some things. Just saying
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by ndigbo: 8:09pm On Aug 20, 2015
If I hear say, I lock shop !!
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by sniper77(m): 8:13pm On Aug 20, 2015
Ogboni fraternity. High level cultists no be the moin moin cultism wey students dey do for higher institutions.
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 20, 2015
Jenny1010:
Backward people !

I disagree darling...
There is nothing backward about extolling culture...especially in the face of "foreign stuff" chasing our norms, beliefs and practices to oblivion

It makes me wanna throw things
So I find this to be totally cool...if it has to do with their Ifa
Cheers

1 Like

Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by steppin: 8:16pm On Aug 20, 2015
disumusa:
The height of backwardness!
Performing sensless rituals and fetish stuff are part of your culture.
No wonder why there's still brown roofs in Ibadan.
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by Gakwe123(m): 8:28pm On Aug 20, 2015
On the fast lane to hell in the name of culture.......tribe being fetish since 1720
Cutehector:
abeg make I hear word... Wat crappy culture is dat...
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 9:21pm On Aug 20, 2015
Pappyjim:
See gobe! Pls theres a 419 claiming to be a custom officer by the name: Balogun David, he claim to be in charge of auction cars at the SEME BORDER, he even says the warehouse is at 17 izua warehouse off badagry expressway, seme border. He gave his account details:access bank plc, Account numba:0689957015. Pls be warned!!!
I hope say you no pay sha grin grin grin this wan na old story
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by scully95: 9:30pm On Aug 20, 2015
AwesomelyMade:
Fetish practices everywhere.
Fetish right.. Just like reading the brainwash in Bible is Fetish right ?

1 Like

Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by scully95: 9:34pm On Aug 20, 2015
TheDauraMallam:

Thank you for your most responsible analysis.

Let's go back to history a bit (even though it had been disallowed as a subject by the Ministry of Education under Jonathan's regime...)

Whites value their tradition, there is a clause.

Worldwide, mature religionists and non religionists enjoy heritage. They enjoy festivals. I am not a moslem and I enjoy Ileya celebrations like crazy, even though I don't believe in what they are celebrating.

Same goes to alot of other religious festivities. Non believers and all.

But there is a clause. We enjoy these things because they are heritage, and not because they do us any good.
Tradition will always remain.. No matter what. It has existed for years and will continue to do so. Though a lot have changed like you said. So as the traditional religion is also updating itself but there are some things that can't be removed. Oro is one.. Mind you Oro is just punishment given to those who refuse to obey the order. No one has ever been killed due to Oro... (Oro gbe o)

1 Like

Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by 190theclown: 9:41pm On Aug 20, 2015
Nigeria sha!!

May God help that country

Very backward undecided

Such a shithole
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 20, 2015
disumusa:

That's crappy culture...

Any culture that limit freedom is trash!
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by Nobody: 11:10pm On Aug 20, 2015
Cutehector:
Lock my shop say Lucifer dey pass abi na wetin
I tire ooh cheesy

Nah for those wey get fear pass liver. Nor be to discharge them with hot water?
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by TolaniLuv: 11:34pm On Aug 20, 2015
Jenny1010:
Backward people !

How ? They shouldn't practice their culture again Cuz we deh 21century? U are d backward person here
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by Spybradd: 12:51am On Aug 21, 2015
Africa!
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by nametalkam: 4:38am On Aug 21, 2015
But exactly how did Africa survive before the word of God and Allah were introduced?
Honestly how...those before then..were they doomed? Cant be.. we descended from them..right LOL ...

Anyway..is this really culture or is it tradition? Coz people throwing the word "culture" around so loosely

Me I think this is tradition. It is rooted and will continue to be passed down to future generations...
Re: People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) by samsongbemisola(m): 7:29am On Aug 21, 2015
They re doing Isese day( Traditional worshipers day) it happens in all part of Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Cant Believe I Am Surviving With POS / Cameroonian Woman Mobbed For Stealing, Receives Items, Cash To Start A Business / Obi Cubana Shows Off His Elder Brothers (Video, Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.