Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,370 members, 7,836,498 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1120) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4446196 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1117) (1118) (1119) (1120) (1121) (1122) (1123) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enzio(m): 1:30pm On Feb 24, 2019
hey guys,

Pls. i need a complete break down on what i will cost to build a 5 bedroom bungalow in 1 complete plot of land in the eastern part of Nigeria.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mubby4luv(m): 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2019
Hello house, Good afternoon. Please is there a solution that can be done to avoid wall dampness stain in the future before the plastering stage in a new building?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mubby4luv(m): 1:47pm On Feb 24, 2019
Also, I recently did my rafter and nogging. There are some white dust like particles falling off from some of the woods (2by2) my carpenter said it will stop after ceiling. How true is it? And is it too late to apply the termite pesticide?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:05pm On Feb 24, 2019
Mubby4luv:
Also, I recently did my rafter and nogging. There are some white dust like particles falling off from some of the woods (2by2) my carpenter said it will stop after ceiling. How true is it? And is it too late to apply the termite pesticide?

Your Carpenter is lying to you. It may only get worse. It may be sign of the onset of termite infestation. Investigate properly and if it is termite infestation, you MUST change the affected wood. You might be lied to again saying you can apply treatment over the affected wood. Na lie. Change affected wood and apply treatment is best practice.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 2:37pm On Feb 24, 2019
Mubby4luv:
Hello house, Good afternoon. Please is there a solution that can be done to avoid wall dampness stain in the future before the plastering stage in a new building?

Mixing waterproofing cement additive into the mix to plaster a feet or thereabout part that would be in contact with the soil may help prevent capillary action of water or using a denser mix for the same part.
If it's for an already plastered wall, that would definitely be application of undercoat before screeding but that would be may be more costly as the whole surface would have to be sealed lest it appears above where it ends.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 4:19pm On Feb 24, 2019
Mubby4luv:

Prevention against dampness in 100% is costly but achievable. The protection starts from the early stage of your foundation. I constructed a fence designed for a multinational by one of the leading consultancy firm and I was marveled by anti dampness solution provided in the specification. It is also applicable to building. Let me share it briefly: After excavation, we did a blinding with damproof admixture and DPM laid underneath, then we cast the main foundation of 9 inches ( multi national standard, ours does not Ned to be this thick) the excavations was wider than the width of our base and we used form work for the base. After that we laid foundation blocks, filled solid with lean concrete then close the fence foundation with beam. Before back filling we applied an anti dampness paint on the side of the base, top of the base and side of the foundation wall. This can be applied to building by laying a thick layer of DPM and applying anti dampness solution on the fdn walls, then internally you can treat the top of your fdn block specially as well (I have shared on a thread how we treated a bungalow built without German floor, that is about six years ago and there is no dampness in the house till date. I will try and upload some of the fence pics.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amastermovic(m): 4:30pm On Feb 24, 2019
Enzio:
hey guys,

Pls. i need a complete break down on what i will cost to build a 5 bedroom bungalow in 1 complete plot of land in the eastern part of Nigeria.

Forward the plan to my mail consultyomired@gmail.com

and I will Gve u a detailed analysis except for the roof and electrical works..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Royruky(m): 7:18pm On Feb 24, 2019
Good day everyone. Where can one buy cook wood in Warri, Benin or Lagos
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mubby4luv(m): 7:32pm On Feb 24, 2019
Aventures:
Prevention against dampness in 100% is costly but achievable. The protection starts from the early stage of your foundation. I constructed a fence designed for a multinational by one of the leading consultancy firm and I was marveled by anti dampness solution provided in the specification. It is also applicable to building. Let me share it briefly: After excavation, we did a blinding with damproof admixture and DPM laid underneath, then we cast the main foundation of 9 inches ( multi national standard, ours does not Ned to be this thick) the excavations was wider than the width of our base and we used form work for the base. After that we laid foundation blocks, filled solid with lean concrete then close the fence foundation with beam. Before back filling we applied an anti dampness paint on the side of the base, top of the base and side of the foundation wall. This can be applied to building by laying a thick layer of DPM and applying anti dampness solution on the fdn walls, then internally you can treat the top of your fdn block specially as well (I have shared on a thread how we treated a bungalow built without German floor, that is about six years ago and there is no dampness in the house till date. I will try and upload some of the fence pics.

Okay Sir. but my building has gone far beyond that.
Already looking forward to the wall plaster. Your post can help some sha.thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mubby4luv(m): 7:34pm On Feb 24, 2019
gbadexy:

Mixing waterproofing cement additive into the mix to plaster a feet or thereabout part that would be in contact with the soil may help prevent capillary action of water or using a denser mix for the same part.
If it's for an already plastered wall, that would definitely be application of undercoat before screeding but that would be may be more costly as the whole surface would have to be sealed lest it appears above where it ends.
Thank you Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Evaowokotomo(f): 8:39pm On Feb 24, 2019
Please do visit this thread on the journey of our new home a 4 bedroom duplex and a 2 bedroom flat we are about starting in Ibadan. Your criticism and help is needed as we are novice in construction.

https://www.nairaland.com/5044567/4-bedroom-duplex-2-bedroom#76083762
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 11:11pm On Feb 24, 2019
[quote author=Mubby4luv post=76070346]Also, I recently did my rafter and nogging. There are some white dust like particles falling off from some of the woods (2by2) my carpenter said it will stop after ceiling. How true is it? And is it too late to apply the termite pesticide? Sir or ma, the carpenter is not true, u have already used bad wood, so u need to change those wood before ceiling, orelse the ceiling will fall down ,thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by joysy4791: 12:33am On Feb 25, 2019
Good morning House, I need some clarifications regarding doors .
1. What is the current price of turkey and Chinese wooden doors
2. Is there any difference between the 2 doors?
3 How can I differentiate between them?
4. Can I used them in the bathroom or is there any other suggestions
5. Who makes the subframe. Carpenter or a furniture
maker?
6. I will appreciate contacts of trustworthy door suppliers

**Attention @Skimanski , @Haji M. et Al
Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ChijyWills(m): 10:46am On Feb 25, 2019

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by soulchuks: 12:40pm On Feb 25, 2019
shocked
mufutau55:
Off-Topic Thread - To Discuss Anything and Everything that doesn't fit into an individual thread.
Let's discuss everything pertaining to Building Constructions, Real estate and some more.

Note: Please no products or services advertisements... there are plenty of other threads for that already. No buying and selling on this thread.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by soulchuks: 12:42pm On Feb 25, 2019
hi
Enzio:
hey guys,

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OmilAguTutors: 12:48pm On Feb 25, 2019
nice
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OmilAguTutors: 2:56pm On Feb 25, 2019
FINE
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 10:54pm On Feb 25, 2019
How many tippers = 30 tons of granite?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 12:07am On Feb 26, 2019
gud morning house
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 6:38am On Feb 26, 2019
diordaves:

Your Carpenter is lying to you. It may only get worse. It may be sign of the onset of termite infestation. Investigate properly and if it is termite infestation, you MUST change the affected wood. You might be lied to again saying you can apply treatment over the affected wood. Na lie. Change affected wood and apply treatment is best practice.

This termite invasion of the treated nogging wood around my place is too much here in the East and that's why I have asked several questions on use of Melaina as nogging wood.

I have seen Skimanski and I think Spyder008 adopt a false nogging method using mostly hardwood tie beams and they said such is mainly for POP ceiling.

Can't that method be recommended for all roofing and nogging if POP ceiling will be eventually done and soft-hard wood like Melaina be reduced or eliminated?

Cc Adeward
Cc HsLBroker
Cc Aventures

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larwin(m): 8:02am On Feb 26, 2019
Badgers14:
How many tippers = 30 tons of granite?

6 tippers

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bumperua: 9:31am On Feb 26, 2019
smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by oalandAgents2: 10:58am On Feb 26, 2019
good morning my oges in the house
mufutau55:
Off-Topic Thread - To Discuss Anything and Everything that doesn't fit into an individual thread.
Let's discuss everything pertaining to Building Constructions, Real estate and some more.

Note: Please no products or services advertisements... there are plenty of other threads for that already. No buying and selling on this thread.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by oalandAgents2: 11:00am On Feb 26, 2019
what is it to talk about today
mufutau55:

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by verbena: 1:22pm On Feb 26, 2019
Please I need help on rod sizes for staircase. My engineer is trying to use a combination of 12mm and 10mm for the staircase and I have a site supervisor telling me staircase should be only 12mm rods. I’m not sure who’s advise I should follow .

(1) (2) (3) ... (1117) (1118) (1119) (1120) (1121) (1122) (1123) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.