Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,454 members, 7,836,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4446791 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1115) (1116) (1117) (1118) (1119) (1120) (1121) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by IBEJULEKIREALTO(m): 4:29pm On Feb 19, 2019
Find out where the people are going and buy the land before they get there.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uyijiano4u(m): 5:59pm On Feb 19, 2019
thanks sir, that means my engineer wasn't wrong when he wrote stone dust and sand(without adding granite) am so grateful for this information
bixton:

Depending on your location, there are various types and its size varies.
To those who know, its commonly called 3/8" which is the size but its referred to as Coarse Sand. It's an aggregate material and does the same work as granite. It can be used for german flooring and lintel casting.
Not to be used for casting of decking slabs.

You can use it mixed with sharp sand or just it alone with cement. Ensure you use a good mix ratio.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by roaaluminium: 10:04pm On Feb 19, 2019
For your own taste ALUMINIUM ROOF OR ALUMINIUM WINDOW, SLIDING WINDOW or CASEMENT WINDOW, please visit us@www. roaaluminium. Com,or Email Rockofages@gmail.com...call 08069609983
Your own taste is our duity
Thanks

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by blackboy(m): 12:44am On Feb 20, 2019
Pls what is the cost of building a 2 bedroom bq in Abuja
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seyifunmi005(m): 5:53am On Feb 20, 2019
You can join our whatsapp group for estate surveyors and valuers in Lagos island...advertise your for sale/to let properties today.
message +2347059908894 to join via the link below

https:///L9U2IbAASdLFh1vIzitYb7

Thanks�
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 7:12am On Feb 20, 2019
roaaluminium:
For your own taste ALUMINIUM ROOF OR ALUMINIUM WINDOW, SLIDING WINDOW or CASEMENT WINDOW, please visit us@www. roaaluminium. Com,or Email Rockofages@gmail.com...call 08069609983
Your own taste is our duity
Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rachaelNO: 10:09am On Feb 20, 2019
smiley
mufutau55:
Off-Topic Thread - To Discuss Anything and Everything that doesn't fit into an individual thread.
Let's discuss everything pertaining to Building Constructions, Real estate and some more.

Note: Please no products or services advertisements... there are plenty of other threads for that already. No buying and selling on this thread.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PYSHomesUK3: 11:18am On Feb 20, 2019
good day my ogas i will like to know more on land measurement thanks
mufutau55:
Off-Topic Thread - To Discuss Anything and Everything that doesn't fit into an individual thread.
Let's discuss everything pertaining to Building Constructions, Real estate and some more.

Note: Please no products or services advertisements... there are plenty of other threads for that already. No buying and selling on this thread.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by keepingmum: 1:34pm On Feb 20, 2019
Please can someone give me an idea on the costs for the following

Complete bath set - Bath tub, WC, wash hand basin for 3 toilets and bathrooms

Complete Kitchen Cabinet -

Kitchen Sink - i want quotes for a ceramic and then for stainless steel

Sturdy high gate and a separate quote for a gate with a side door/entrance

Please dont ask me to email you, i just want to get ideas to prep my self as my project is almost at that stage.

Location is Airport side axis, Abuja
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 9:28pm On Feb 20, 2019
keepingmum:
Please can someone give me an idea on the costs for the following

Complete bath set - Bath tub, WC, wash hand basin for 3 toilets and bathrooms

Complete Kitchen Cabinet -

Kitchen Sink - i want quotes for a ceramic and then for stainless steel

Sturdy high gate and a separate quote for a gate with a side door/entrance

Please dont ask me to email you, i just want to get ideas to prep my self as my project is almost at that stage.

Location is Airport side axis, Abuja

Greetings sir
On the WC,bathtub,kitchen sink
It all depends on the quality and class of your choice .
However there WC of 24k,32k,45k etc(full set with basin)
Bathtub of 23k,55k, etc (without mixer)
Kitchen sink of 7k,32k,58k, etc(stainless/aluminum) 75k(ceramic)

There also tiles of good prices cool

2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 10:17pm On Feb 20, 2019
Quick question :

Is there any reason why New homeowners are not embracing installing central air condition in their houses?

Lots of times, we see a fine duplex with air condition boxes littered all over the walls.

Is there any structural/architectural argument as why homeowners shouldn't embrace using central air in their homes?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:27pm On Feb 20, 2019
Badgers14:
Quick question :

Is there any reason why New homeowners are not embracing installing central air condition in their houses?

Lots of times, we see a fine duplex with air condition boxes littered all over the walls.

Is there any structural/architectural argument as why homeowners shouldn't embrace using central air in their homes?

In the Nigerian context, the installation cost would be prohibitive for domestic use and recurrent maintenance cost and expertise would be afurther problem.

The main reason central air-conditioning system is not prevalent in Nigeria is the air duct system (see photos) and the way we build in Nigeria. In the USA, ceiling decking system is all wood so the air duct, water piping and electrical wiring can be passed through the void and space of the wood frames.

But in Nigeria we deck with concrete, so for a duplex how would you install the air duct system if not to think out some other ways to pass the duct through the concrete which could be very costly or unsightly.

Again the poor state of power supply is another problem. You will need a heavy duty generating set to power a central A/C which most homes seldom use. Most homes for cost cutting reasons use 1KVA GenSets which can power a single unit A/C.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 11:41pm On Feb 20, 2019
Badgers14:
Quick question :

To expatiate what diordaves said, imagine powering a 20HP central AC connected to all rooms when only one person is at the home. It will waste energy. Besides, only a room needs the cooling but the power required is higher if you install a 1 or 2 hp ac single unit per room. It is clumsy but more efficient.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 3:12am On Feb 21, 2019
diordaves:

In the Nigerian context, the installation cost would be prohibitive for domestic use and recurrent maintenance cost and expertise would be afurther problem.

The main reason central air-conditioning system is not prevalent in Nigeria is the air duct system (see photos) and the way we build in Nigeria. In the USA, ceiling decking system is all wood so the air duct, water piping and electrical wiring can be passed through the void and space of the wood frames.

But in Nigeria we deck with concrete, so for a duplex how would you install the air duct system if not to think out some other ways to pass the duct through the concrete which could be very costly or unsightly.

Again the poor state of power supply is another problem. You will need a heavy duty generating set to power a central A/C which most homes seldom use. Most homes for cost cutting reasons use 1KVA GenSets which can power a single unit A/C.

Thanks for taking time to explain this. It makes sense.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ademolaadeyemi: 4:59am On Feb 21, 2019
Good day Nairalander. Please, i need your contribution on how much i can pay a supervising engineer to supervise block settings on a first floor from setting out to the roof level in Lagos. The structure is about 400sqm. Your quick responce will be appreciated because the decision has to be taken this morning.
Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:45am On Feb 21, 2019
diordaves:

Nice one boss well explained
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by desiji: 8:41am On Feb 21, 2019
diordaves:

But to me that is just saying we should continue with the same status co, there are various VRAF system that dosen't need the heavy ones with 20HP. i Have a multisplit system that i will be installing soon with very low current usage and absolutely no surge because it is an inverter system.
Hope to shopcase that when installed. it is so efficient that when only one unit is used the split outside system reacts only to that and dosen't take the whole current as to if the three are used at once
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by desiji: 8:43am On Feb 21, 2019
It is always an eyesore for me when a house is elegantly built but it will be littered with split A/C

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 8:56am On Feb 21, 2019
diordaves:

Good explanation, but these days we have multi split unit system that can cater for 3 bedroom flat i.e one outdoor to 3 to for indoor rather than having outdoor for each indoor. Most of the commercial buildings and some residential building inside Banana island are using VRF system. They have low power consumption that's the advantage.

See how this house is flooded with outdoor

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by desiji: 9:19am On Feb 21, 2019
This multisplit systems are inverter system with WIFI that means the possibilities are endless with what you can do with it

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeyboy2o15(m): 9:52am On Feb 21, 2019
Please, like how much is it going to cost to fence an half plot of land, especially if someone is going to mould the blocks manually.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 11:24am On Feb 21, 2019
topsy23:

Good explanation, but these days we have multi split unit system that can cater for a bedroom flat i.e one outdoor to 3 to for indoor rather than having outdoor for each indoor. Most of the commercial buildings and some residential building inside Banana island are using VRF system. They have low power consumption that's the advantage.

By my estimation a 3 bedroom flat would require 1hp per room plus dining and a 2 hp for the living room. This brings the total to 6hp in comparison to the same powered central cooling.

Before i continue, it is a fact that a window AC unit is more efficient to a split AC system. Reasons being that power waste by longer piping and distance between evaporator and compressor. These leads to losses in cooling capacity and pumping capacity. Longer piping also leads to increased costs.

The same effect is multiplied in the central AC where the refrigerant pipes are far longer leading to greater loss of efficiency. This does not even account for more insulation, more electrical connections/control gadgets and more installation cost.

In other words, a 6hp window unit required by a 3 bedroom may be equivalent to 8hp slit ac and equivalent to 10hp central ac. Secondly, all costs are increased while more cooling capacity is required leading to more cost.

The VRF is a technology which means more cost too. In the end, when you talk about cost, central ac is quite expensive.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:32am On Feb 21, 2019
abbeyboy2o15:
Please, like how much is it going to cost to fence an half plot of land, especially if someone is going to mould the blocks manually.

Visit this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/4277674/process-materials-required-fencing-property
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeyboy2o15(m): 11:39am On Feb 21, 2019
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by desiji: 12:18pm On Feb 21, 2019
adanny01:

By my estimation a 3 bedroom flat would require 1hp per room plus dining and a 2 hp for the living room. This brings the total to 6hp in comparison to the same powered central cooling.

Before i continue, it is a fact that a window AC unit is more efficient to a split AC system. Reasons being that power waste by longer piping and distance between evaporator and compressor. These leads to losses in cooling capacity and pumping capacity. Longer piping also leads to increased costs.

The same effect is multiplied in the central AC where the refrigerant pipes are far longer leading to greater loss of efficiency. This does not even account for more insulation, more electrical connections/control gadgets and more installation cost.

In other words, a 6hp window unit required by a 3 bedroom may be equivalent to 8hp slit ac and equivalent to 10hp central ac. Secondly, all costs are increased while more cooling capacity is required leading to more cost.

The VRF is a technology which means more cost too. In the end, when you talk about cost, central ac is quite expensive.
That is not true with the new gas system which is more enviroment friendly and it density is also very light (R32) you hardly need a big HP and distance dosen't play a big role till 60metres and height till about 10metres

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:14pm On Feb 21, 2019
adanny01:

Power waste by longer piping and distance between evaporators and compressor. I disagree with this comment in regards to AC capacity, technology as taking care of that. Chillers are mostly used in heavy demand cooling in most commercial buildings, the can push as much far distance as needed.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 1:56pm On Feb 21, 2019
desiji:

But to me that is just saying we should continue with the same status co, there are various VRAF system that dosen't need the heavy ones with 20HP. i Have a multisplit system that i will be installing soon with very low current usage and absolutely no surge because it is an inverter system.
Hope to shopcase that when installed. it is so efficient that when only one unit is used the split outside system reacts only to that and dosen't take the whole current as to if the three are used at once

I am researching the multisplit options as I also abhor the clutter. Trouble is, the original building design ought to have considered it in the first place and hidden ducts can be provided for. It is difficult to retrofit into a completed building.

Having said that, we'll get there someday, so I would appreciate recommendations on the best vendors for multisplits in Nigeria.

Thanks in advance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by desiji: 2:04pm On Feb 21, 2019
jabolo:

I am researching the multisplit options as I also abhor the clutter. Trouble is, the original building design ought to have considered it in the first place and hidden ducts can be provided for. It is difficult to retrofit into a completed building.

Having said that, we'll get there someday, so I would appreciate recommendations on the best vendors for multisplits in Nigeria.

Thanks in advance.
Iam bringing mine done from Base i already did the consideration im my build so it was implemented in the building and so there was no visble pipes. 2ndly i found out that the cabling was different fro the one being sold in Nigeria thank God we already thought ahead. The one i am bringing down have WIFI which means you can program them when and how you want them to RUN and with the Solar software i am using you can use SONOFF gadgets tto do IOT however you want it

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 2:21pm On Feb 21, 2019
topsy23:

Good explanation, but these days we have multi split unit system that can cater for 3 bedroom flat i.e one outdoor to 3 to for indoor rather than having outdoor for each indoor. Most of the commercial buildings and some residential building inside Banana island are using VRF system. They have low power consumption that's the advantage.

what is the average cost of VRF system.?
"these days we have multi split unit system that can cater for 3 bedroom flat i.e one outdoor to 3 to for indoor"
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 3:17pm On Feb 21, 2019
desiji:

That is not true with the new gas system which is more enviroment friendly and it density is also very light (R32) you hardly need a big HP and distance dosen't play a big role till 60metres and height till about 10metres

Type of gas is a whole new dimension.

Assuming you have same brand technology of compressor and refrigerant, longer piping means more volume, more volume means more refrigerant more refrigerant means more power to deliver the same pressure of gas to the evaporator. Yes, the refrigerant type does matter, in most cases you cant simply change your refrigerant so the refrigerant issue is not the issue here.

Assuming its 1kw, a compressor at a distance of 20m cannot possibly deliver that 1kw exactly as it would 1m away from the evaporator.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 3:21pm On Feb 21, 2019
kopell:
Power waste by longer piping and distance between evaporators and compressor. I disagree with this comment in regards to AC capacity, technology as taking care of that. Chillers are mostly used in heavy demand cooling in most commercial buildings, the can push as much far distance as needed.

Why is the discharge pipe of ACs insulated? Why is the chiller duct always insulated?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1115) (1116) (1117) (1118) (1119) (1120) (1121) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.