Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,454 members, 7,830,259 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1247) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4431389 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1244) (1245) (1246) (1247) (1248) (1249) (1250) ... (3675) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 6:53pm On Oct 24, 2019
Chekitaut:
Hmmmm human?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:09pm On Oct 24, 2019
Tammynator:
Builders and professionals. Small 3 bedroom flat that I want to build. See the quotation that was given to me. Are the prices okay? Though, I will have to now explore other builders. I have been dealing solely with this particular guy because, he helped me in acquiring the land.

It will be better if you can post the pix of this small 3 bedroom flat to enable anyone to comment and effectively critic the quotation given to you. Also the site location/state(city/township/village) will help as to various rates.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Tammynator(m): 7:26pm On Oct 24, 2019
bixton:

It will be better if you can post the pix of this small 3 bedroom flat to enable anyone to comment and effectively critic the quotation given to you. Also the site location/state(city/township/village) will help as to various rates.
Thanks.
See it here. Location is Uyo.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by boay(m): 8:33pm On Oct 24, 2019
Tammynator:
Builders and professionals. Small 3 bedroom flat that I want to build. See the quotation that was given to me. Are the prices okay? Though, I will have to now explore other builders. I have been dealing solely with this particular guy because, he helped me in acquiring the land.

You should have concealed the name of the company in the picture
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Tammynator(m): 8:51pm On Oct 24, 2019
boay:

You should have concealed the name of the company in the picture
Ooh. Okay. Let me try if I can edit am.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 9:18pm On Oct 24, 2019
quote author=mimini post=83419487]

It is the latter. Funny enough, the inner walls that divide the house into various rooms are not affected. If so, why are the interior walls not affected?
An engineer once told me that the type of soil in a location could cause it. I also noticed that some people actually go to far south to bring in white sharp sand to build in Abuja. I also noticed that very few buildings that do not have this problem have very high foundation. but I have also seen buildings with very high foundation having this problem. its so common in Abuja.
I still need more advice and solution to this problem.
[/quote] Plastered wall can also cause dampneas on the wall. If the soil around the wall on the lower part is very loose your plaster sand can get soaked and the dampness can rise up. Secondly, we often build our Chambers too closed to our build wall, this is wrong and can also cause dampneas since water flows thru the Chambers regularly and part of our building wall is used for the Chambers then you will often see the wall around that chamber dampened.

Solution: Apply 15-20mm tick layer of Gravitex painting above the height of the dampness you have noticed. This is the simplest and fastest solution. Other solution are cumbersome.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mimini: 12:24am On Oct 25, 2019
Aventures:

It is the latter. Funny enough, the inner walls that divide the house into various rooms are not affected. If so, why are the interior walls not affected?
An engineer once told me that the type of soil in a location could cause it. I also noticed that some people actually go to far south to bring in white sharp sand to build in Abuja. I also noticed that very few buildings that do not have this problem have very high foundation. but I have also seen buildings with very high foundation having this problem. its sot common in Abuja.
I still need more advice and solution to this problem.
Plastered wall can also cause dampneas on the wall. If the soil around the wall on the lower part is very loose your plaster sand can get soaked and the dampness can rise up. Secondly, we often build our Chambers too closed to our build wall, this is wrong and can also cause dampneas since water flows thru the Chambers regularly and part of our building wall is used for the Chambers then you will often see the wall around that chamber dampened.

Solution: Apply 15-20mm tick layer of Gravitex painting above the height of the dampness you have noticed. This is the simplest and fastest solution. Other solution are cumbersome.

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mimini: 12:28am On Oct 25, 2019
beamNIGERIA:

Amongst many reasons that cause dampness on walls, will like you to note that high proportion of damp problems in buildings are as a result of rain penetration (non dpc related) and capillary action/rising damp (dpc related).

Preferring solutions, I advise physical inspection by an expert (depending on extent of defects), you don't want to create more mess or waste resources while defects persist.

Rain penetration/water seeping from the outer surface; due to drive rain most times(after hours of down pour) you have external walls socked and depending on type of soft sand used for plastering (usually of high salt content) the wall surface absorbs the water, gradually increase in size, travel through the brick and form dampness on the internal surface.
Water proof the surface with bituminous coatings and plaster (mixture of sharp and soft sand) with very good sealant e.g penetron or sikalatex and provide for effective slope to drain off rainwater.
As well, Plaster with coarse and fine sand.

Water rising from ground by capillary action despite having DPC; There is possibility that DPC is faulty or bad installation.
I advise you pave the surface abutting the building to prevent rain water seeping into the wall.
Or if considering interlock paving, make sure the floor has a damp proof course (DPC) which arrests the rising water.

If I haven't been able to mention any likely cause relative to your building, please sort for physical inspection by a water proofing contractor.

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mimini: 12:29am On Oct 25, 2019
diordaves:

If you're very sure the DPC was done properly, as only the external walls are affected, the solution is simple. Drain rain water away from your foundation. What I think may have happened, is you have breached your DPC; that is, the final level of your compound is higher than the DPC level. If you've laid interlocking, this may be higher than the DPC. Interlocking, final concreting or back-filling of the compound should be below the German floor. This is a common mistake by majority builders.

If your compound is higher than the DPC, capillary action will result in damp external walls. So drain water away from the outside walls of the foundation by bevelling the compound.

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mimini: 12:30am On Oct 25, 2019
olayinka1234:
There are damp proof creams that can be effectively used. First hack off all paints and plastered levels revealing the masonry works at about 3-6inches above the floor. After this is done, drill holes at about 6 inches interval all across the affected walls and begin to inject the cream into the holes. The cream later spreads and form like a water resistant sheet that prevent future dampness. Afterwards, replaster with "our" not so effective water proof cement and paint. While this has good success rates, it is not 100% effective as some cases are usually more terrible.

You can buy Dryzone Damp Proof Injection Cream on Ebay or Amazon. They are about the best in the market.

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:55am On Oct 25, 2019
Aventures:

But you can't just apply protective paint if no effort is made to keep water away from the walls. The Gravitex over time will react with water and the problem will not go away. The solution is to keep water away from the foundation whatever method. Water and foundations are not good friends.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:20am On Oct 25, 2019
diordaves:

But you can't just apply protective paint if no effort is made to keep water away from the walls. The Gravitex over time will react with water and the problem will not go away. The solution is to keep water away from the foundation whatever method. Water and foundations are not good friends.
The solution proffered may be possible even though it seemingly defy logic to just cover up the place with waterproof materials.
Unlike tiles and undercoat that totally seals off the surface, graffitex would still allow water vapor to escape since the binder is emulsion based.
what may happen is controlled gradual escape of the ground water.
Like you rightly stated sir, the best option is not to have the water there to cause other damages.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olaitoro(m): 10:35am On Oct 25, 2019
lukkens:
Please house, what's the best PLANK for residential DOOR?
Thanks

My dear if you have the money go for iron doors, wooden doors will always fail you.
Well seasoned plank is hard to find in Nigeria market
I had to change all my wooden doors to iron doors, talking about double spending on removal and installation.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tytanicng: 10:47am On Oct 25, 2019
Good day Sir/Ma,
INTRODUCTION OF KEIM SILICATE PAINT
We, Tytanic Engineering Limited, the official partner of KEIM silicate paints in Nigeria, products of German technology wish to request for an opportunity to present KEIM Silicate Paint to you for your establishment or home.
We would want to show you the benefits of using our products with a no cost, no obligation twenty (20) minutes presentation. Considering it would be of great advantage to you especially in terms of beautiful aesthetics, sustainability Eco-friendliness and long-term cost.
KEIM silicate paints are of natural ingredients and has been in existence for over 140 years. It ensures maximum weathering resistance, unsurpassed durability.
Our Senate building and Federal Secretriat both at Abuja, were both painted in 1999 using KEIM and there have been no need for them to repaint since then. 
All KEIM products are;
- color stable, 
- weather proof,
- vapor permeable,
- maintains high moisture balance. 
Coatings of KEIM has been proven to last for tens of decades while retaining its original color and quality. With KEIM, no flaking, biannual repainting, water retention issues, algae or fungal growths on walls. Just aesthetics and preservation of walls.
We are available at short notice for further discussions, live demonstration and video presentation.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Do have a lovely day.

Regards
TYTANIC
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tytanicng: 10:49am On Oct 25, 2019
We guarantee you 50 years on all our paint products. Try us today. Call us on 08112491459

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tytanicng: 10:50am On Oct 25, 2019
For Fungi or algae growth on your walls, we bring to you HYDROPHOBIN 2000. It will kill the growth and also make the wall repel water.
Call us now, let's make your walls healthy and sustainable.
Visit our website https://tytanicng.com or click link in bio. Call us:08112491459

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lukkens: 11:43am On Oct 25, 2019
Thanks so much.
But wooden frame has been installed already.

quote author=olaitoro post=83446478]

My dear if you have the money go for iron doors, wooden doors will always fail you.
Well seasoned plank is hard to find in Nigeria market
I had to change all my wooden doors to iron doors, talking about double spending on removal and installation.

[/quote]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 12:13pm On Oct 25, 2019
Tammynator:
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 12:26pm On Oct 25, 2019
diordaves:

While this can be innovative with the unknown situation of the foundation, I will always discourage such wanton and radical innovation. Such wanton innovation often fail woefully unintended consequences and stress test.

See photos attached.

The first set of photos: Crayford in South East London suburb.

Just like your highlighted project, polystyrene was used to reduce weight and cost in the multi storey carpark. There was a water main burst and the whole carpark was flooded. As you know, polystyrene will float above water, thereby pushing upward the floor of the carpark crushing cars between two floors.

The second set of photos, Taiwan.

The contractor used cooking oil tins to save cost of properly casting columns for a hotel complex. He succeeded until there was a relative minor earthquake and the complex crumbled like a pack of cards.

Be encouraged to design and build structures that will stand the test of time. Cutting corners in the name of innovation often over time reveal what it was: cutting corners.

Sir... Permit me to jump on this, your reply to Teewhy2.

In your 1st example, the polystyrene wasn't the problem, the plumbing and drainage system is... You can't blame a collapsed structure due to poor concrete mix on the reinforcement bars used if it was adequate and well designed.

No2. You talked about earthquake and still fine a way to blame it on the design.. What do we blame if a conventional concrete structure Collapses? On cement and Rebar, type of wood..

Lastly, if a steel structure Collapses in Abeokuta how those that make steel as use for building bad?

FYI.. Polystyrene floors are MORE expensive than conventional concrete and iron floors... polystyrene isn't a cheaper alternative most times.

Thanks... I hope this clears your doubt.

A FAILED DESIGN ISN'T SAME AS A FAILED MATERIAL...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:38pm On Oct 25, 2019
lukkens:
Please house, what's the best PLANK for residential DOOR?
Thanks

I installed wooden internal doors and the doors were made over two years now with absolutely no problems. The doors remain straight, well laped with no warping.

I used IKPAYA wood. This is what we call it in Delta. It may be different in your area. It is also called Azobe, Ekki or red ironwood. The wood is sometimes used for electric pole and bridges as it's water resistant. The botanical name is Lophira alata.

The trick is to source for dried ones and after making the doors, don't hang immediately. Stand them to dry further. I allowed mine to stand and dry further for 30 days before hanging and vanishing. Also mind the door thickness which is 40mm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mimini: 1:44pm On Oct 25, 2019
diordaves:

Noted. Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by airex(m): 3:19pm On Oct 25, 2019
Chekitaut:
It has being taking to Granite delivery. i lost d sand to IKate Suppliers so never worry you get d delivery as promised.
You always have one silly excuse or the other. This is very bad of u and your business. To think that you're doing it to people on NL is far worse than you think. Pay them back their monies with immediate effect of you'll face the law.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by airex(m): 3:24pm On Oct 25, 2019
Chekitaut:
Good evening all, [s]i was informed of several post from a friend here about Segzy post[/s]. Yes i hv never d9 u paid me oof service wish is yet to be delivered. is a pity d urgly incident occurred anyway. We left Abeokuta with 2trucks of 30tons load going to Eng Samuel's site @Oko afon. we access tru Oshodi, because Atan terrible state of road, we encounter a gridlock at Toyota to Cele which made a experted nite delivery a day time delivery. Most of d truck like nite due to VIO, FRSC & LASMAN in lagos to aviod fall victims to law.
The 2trucks where not mine i lease it. D driver was not my staff, but they fall in d hands of FRSC corp each ticket was charge almost 90keach.no speed limit, no driver license, no fire..., no xtra tyres etc. what i dod waa to inform him. is a big challenge 2tricks. i hv disappointed no doubt but is never my making.
i was out of cash i told u on call that even N1k i dont hv thinking to deliver & get bal. Anyway i know Segzy14 very well, what you did is not of u, but...no wahala. Tell me what u want you said i shld refund. the running cost of d delivery is above N340k. i will refund if u insist, i will deliver if u want, wish ever way.
ROTFL.. U donminit
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 3:25pm On Oct 25, 2019
gbadexy:

The solution proffered may be possible even though it seemingly defy logic to just cover up the place with waterproof materials.
Unlike tiles and undercoat that totally seals off the surface, graffitex would still allow water vapor to escape since the binder is emulsion based.
what may happen is controlled gradual escape of the ground water.
Like you rightly stated sir, the best option is not to have the water there to cause other damages.
Good point noted. But the OP said during foundation all necessary action to prevent dampeness was employed. So I assumed that the dampness is majorly a result of the portion of the plaster wall that compound floor has covered. So applying a Gravitex is a sure bet as I have several places I have used it and it worked and years counting on. The most recent is Unilag Faculty of Law lecture theatre, the entire wall behind the podium from down to up about 4m high suffered serious dampness and just Gravitex sort it out. You probably know Gravitex with emulsion base but there are several ways of doing things. The rest is biz sense you don't give it out cheap LOL!!!cheers bro

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by luvablesam(m): 3:46pm On Oct 25, 2019
I need numerous suggestions on this please!!

I got a land recently in a swampy area(swamp caused by people diverting their flood water to my land because the land is on a lower land).

I would like to build a storey building on it.

My question now is that can I used 6-inch blocks with no holes(flats like they call them here) or use normal 9-inch hollow blocks.

Wont the walls be constantly wet if i use the 9-inch hollow blocks?

I need all the suggestions and help i can get.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 4:01pm On Oct 25, 2019
diordaves:

I installed wooden internal doors and the doors were made over two years now with absolutely no problems. The doors remain straight, well laped with no warping.

I used IKPAYA wood. This is what we call it in Delta. It may be different in your area. It is also called Azobe, Ekki or red ironwood. The wood is sometimes used for electric pole and bridges as it's water resistant. The biological name is Lophira alata.

The trick is to source for dried ones and after making the doors, don't hang immediately. Stand them to dry further. I allowed mine to stand and dry further for 30 days before hanging and vanishing. Also mind the door thickness which is 40mm.

How much does this internal wooden doors cost?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 4:23pm On Oct 25, 2019
diordaves:

I used IKPAYA wood. This is what we call it in Delta. It may be different in your area. It is also called Azobe, Ekki or red ironwood. The wood is sometimes used for electric pole and bridges as it's water resistant. The biological name is Lophira alata.

You are very correct
Type of wood and the finishing determined the durability.

I did this for a nairalander going to 2yrs and no defects on it till now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:48pm On Oct 25, 2019
Badgers14:

How much does this internal wooden doors cost?

So:
Frame
Skirting
Door
Lock
Vanishing
All round Labour

N40,000
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 4:49pm On Oct 25, 2019
diordaves:

So:
Frame
Skirting
Door
Lock
Vanishing
All round Labour

N40,000

40k each?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:53pm On Oct 25, 2019
rotecch77:

You are very correct
Type of wood and the finishing determined the durability.

I did this for a nairalander going to 2yrs and no defects on it till now

Sweet vanishing. You can't beat wooden doors when properly done. Wooden doors give homes character. No be me and internal iron doors. Give me wooden doors anytime, any day.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:54pm On Oct 25, 2019
Badgers14:

40k each?

Yes
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by beamNIGERIA: 6:11pm On Oct 25, 2019
diordaves:

So:
Frame
Skirting
Door
Lock
Vanishing
All round Labour

N40,000

Skirting? You mean architrave

(1) (2) (3) ... (1244) (1245) (1246) (1247) (1248) (1249) (1250) ... (3675) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: SurveyorGeo, gentlesoul83(m), Gharnew112(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.