Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,930 members, 7,817,720 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1358) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4391458 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1355) (1356) (1357) (1358) (1359) (1360) (1361) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 10:07am On Apr 06, 2020
To clear all doubts, I've attached 3 pictures where the floor was raised plainly for Aesthetics purpose... It's also common with houses built by millionaires and our fore fathers...

Other building in this category are Ecobank Head Quarters VI, GTB Ozumba amongst other.

DON'T YOU LOVE THE STAIR LIGHT IN THE FIRST PICS - WHAT AN AESTHETICS... I love it.

Njoy.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wespur: 10:14am On Apr 06, 2020
The I too know syndrome has way overwhelmed this thread, plus y'all "engineer" (contractors) acts like y'all all are in carcus or something sort of

Truth to what hargbo said, you find some persons confidently dishing out head knowledge advise in place of structural functionality of each particular problem....

And when u sneeze they come out in their droves to attack!

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by taibat61(m): 10:53am On Apr 06, 2020
It's well
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 11:17am On Apr 06, 2020
I actually read that as a prayer with the "not" inserted in my head/mind.

Some things are not as deep as people interpret it.

segzy14:

I’m not sure he meant any harm, I think he forgot to put the “not” in the sentence.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 1:03pm On Apr 06, 2020
[quote author=Hargbo post=88145653][/quote]

Post edited now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 1:11pm On Apr 06, 2020
megacontrol:
I actually read that as a prayer with the "not" inserted in my head/mind.

Some things are not as deep as people interpret it.

If you check all my post I do reason deeply before I make a comment here, at time i even keep muted in some post which I supposed to say one or two thing about, at time I overlook some comments.
But on this the OP has edited the post which he said the comment is typo error.
So we all move on.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 2:37pm On Apr 06, 2020
ceelog:

Please which grade of tap is the first pic? Does it come with its shower or thats just for tap alone?

l[sup][/sup]

nonsense
I paid $ 300 material and labor to install = N112K
that is $24 for the head
full set $136

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 2:54pm On Apr 06, 2020
it look like I have to buy my stuff from here

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:19pm On Apr 06, 2020
Hargbo:
I just discovered that Most folks here don't use structural design for there Construction, Head knowledge about construction can't serve you 100%,...

It's dangerous, when you allow Bricklayers and Iron bender to tell you the amount of reinforcement you need in your Structure without a detailed structural design to guide you...

I saw a post where someone is asking whether 12mm rod can carry a roof Water tank stand... It's not about the reinforcement size, spacing matters a lot, also the sizes of your column, your foundation depth for that portion even your Beam,

2000litres is equal 2000kg of Water, that's pretty heavy for a normal concrete roof to carry conveniently, even though it carries it, can it stand the test of time...

You need to start paying for Drawings, convince your client how important drawings are...

I just finished casting a First Floor Slab on Friday in one of the project I am working on, I had to seal my ear to the grunts and complaints of my Iron Bender and we followed the Structural drawings to the letter, even though it consumed more reinforcement

Your Building will not Collapse in Jesus name...

You are shooting urself in the foot here, how do you know most folks here do not follow the structural drawings on their plans? have you or did you see the full plan with its structural drawing inclusive?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:21pm On Apr 06, 2020
taskcompleteng:
Dear All,

Please if anyone need Empty Containers For building ,Office , Toilet or site house etc

Kindly contact us

Emmanuel Udoh
and U 4got to add the most important information/ part of your post
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by taskcompleteng: 6:48pm On Apr 06, 2020
erico2k2:

and U 4got to add the most important information/ part of your post

Please remind me sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:04pm On Apr 06, 2020
GoodFaith:

l[sup][/sup]

nonsense
I paid $ 300 material and labor to install = N112K
that is $24 for the head
full set $136

beautiful
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:07pm On Apr 06, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mank1234(m): 9:42pm On Apr 06, 2020
Wespur:
The I too know syndrome has way overwhelmed this thread, plus y'all "engineer" (contractors) acts like y'all all are in carcus or something sort of

Truth to what hargbo said, you find some persons confidently dishing out head knowledge advise in place of structural functionality of each particular problem....

And when u sneeze they come out in their droves to attack!

Have you ever answer question here before?
The issue is that when question is asked on this thread, non of your type answer because you're not sure if the theory you learn in school is same in practice.

That explains why those with practical experience come forward with answers.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wespur: 10:51pm On Apr 06, 2020
mank1234:

Have you ever answer question here before?
The issue is that when question is asked on this thread, non of your type answer because you're not sure if the theory you learn in school is same in practice.

That explains why those with practical kissexperience come forward with answers.
Well I won't come here to throw tantrums or banter...
However in engineering, experience is good but you shouldn't ever ever throw away the science or theory (in your words now)
Because no two cases are the same in engineering, each case should be treated individually..for instance in geotechnics one can have 5 different results within a plot...so it will be wrong to just come out and tell someone use y96 use y63....

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 10:57pm On Apr 06, 2020
Wespur:

However in engineering, experience is good but you shouldn't ever ever throw away the science or theory (in your words now)
Because no two cases are the same in engineering, each case should be treated individually..for instance in geotechnics one can have 5 different results within a plot...so it will be wrong to just come out and tell someone use y96 use y63....

have you ever heard of "rule of thumb" in engineering practice?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Newmercies: 11:06pm On Apr 06, 2020
pls i need your advice, we are building a duplex and wanted staircase to be in the sitting room as seen in some houses but the Engineer said it's outdated. pls your advice will be appreciated.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ArcToyin(m): 11:27pm On Apr 06, 2020
Where is he suggesting to locate it?
You are the client, you have major say on your project so far your decision won't mar the house structurally.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:14am On Apr 07, 2020
Newmercies:
pls i need your advice, we are building a duplex and wanted staircase to be in the sitting room as seen in some houses but the Engineer said it's outdated. pls your advice will be appreciated.

When you say "we are building a duplex" how do you mean? Do you mean you are already building like you have done foundation and all but now want to implement the staircase? Or you are in the pre-planning stage like putting together the architectural and structural drawings?

If you are already building, where did your architectural drawing situate the staircase? Or are you building without architectural/structural drawings? If you are only at the pre-planning stage and about to commission the architectural drawing, it is what YOU want that counts when it comes to the floor plan of the duplex. It is not the remit of your engineer to advice what is "outdated" as this is a matter of personal choice. Architecture is not like clothing fashion that could be outdated. Architecture could belong to a particular era but not outdated. I'm currently looking back to build those old Ikoyi colonial houses (architecture) as a retirement home. Now tell me that is outdated.

Now if the staircase is not within the remit of the sitting room, where is the "modern" position your engineer is proposing? Is your engineer an architect? Decide what you want and how you want it and instruct your engineer to implement it.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 5:27am On Apr 07, 2020
What are the sizes and sale prices?
Also, include transportation cost to Chevron toll gate Lekki axis.

Thanks

taskcompleteng:
Dear All,

Please if anyone need Empty Containers For building ,Office , Toilet or site house etc

Kindly contact us

Emmanuel Udoh

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:47am On Apr 07, 2020
taskcompleteng:

Please remind me sir
PRICE !!!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mank1234(m): 8:50am On Apr 07, 2020
Wespur:

Welcome on board.

Most of us are DIY enthusiast; again we don't have the capital to get services of ALL professionals in building just a bungalow and platform to place water storage tank. We converge here to be sure what the ones we consider as professional are telling us is true. We will be expecting your contributions.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 9:19am On Apr 07, 2020
Dear All,

A friend of mine has some rubbles as a give away at Ojodu axis, if you are interested just contact me I will look you up.
It is free, just come with your trucks and loaders.

Check.my signature for.my contact.

Cheers. Stay blessed, stay safe.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 9:40am On Apr 07, 2020
Newmercies:

Who or what made it outdated?

In design, client brief is as important as principles of design.

So if a client says, I want my stairs in my living room, you make it work.

Goodluck

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by buzzy1(m): 10:38am On Apr 07, 2020
Tuase Technical Services
Delivering Excellence

We specialize in electrical building services for both industrial and domestic installations, we pride ourselves in speedy quality service delivery.

☎️: 08025787493
✉️: ttsexperts@gmail.com

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 12:22pm On Apr 07, 2020
saydfact:

Goodluck
You are very correct.
Client brief is very essential.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Newmercies: 4:45pm On Apr 07, 2020
diordaves:

When you say "we are building a duplex" how do you mean? Do you mean you are already building like you have done foundation and all but now want to implement the staircase? Or you are in the pre-planning stage like putting together the architectural and structural drawings?

If you are already building, where did your architectural drawing situate the staircase? Or are you building without architectural/structural drawings? If you are only at the pre-planning stage and about to commission the architectural drawing, it is what YOU want that counts when it comes to the floor plan of the duplex. It is not the remit of your engineer to advice what is "outdated" as this is a matter of personal choice. Architecture is not like clothing fashion that could be outdated. Architecture could belong to a particular era but not outdated. I'm currently looking back to build those old Ikoyi colonial houses (architecture) as a retirement home. Now tell me that is outdated.

Now if the staircase is not within the remit of the sitting room, where is the "modern" position your engineer is proposing? Is your engineer an architect? Decide what you want and how you want it and instruct your engineer to implement it.

Actually it's an Estate and they have their plan the initial plan wasn't in the sitting Room but we are allowed to change the interior but not the exterior. so from the foundation it was changed, now we are at German floor level .

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 6:26pm On Apr 07, 2020
Let's appreciate the entire NHS World Wide who are battling to keep us all safe. They are the hope we have of moving on with our normal activities. Our words of encouragement will inspire and keep them going...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 6:27pm On Apr 07, 2020
saydfact:

Goodluck

Correct

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 8:11pm On Apr 07, 2020
Newmercies:

Actually it's an Estate and they have their plan the initial plan wasn't in the sitting Room but we are allowed to change the interior but not the exterior. so from the foundation it was changed, now we are at German floor level .

Newmercies:

Now I get you. You bought into an estate with external convenant. You may change the interior but NOT external design in keeping with the character of the estate.

There are FOUR places you can situate the stairs and non are outdated. But the decision is yours to make. To help you decide, I have attached four different stairs designs:

Pic 1
Is the vaulted ceiling approach. The stairs are in the sitting room. The implication is visitors downstairs can see the household going about their business upstairs. And so much room space is lost to the vaulted ceiling.

Pic 2
This is the classical Nigeria design. The stairs are in the sitting room. The implication is you must go through the sitting room to access upstairs.

Pic 3
Here the stairs are in the kitchen. The implication is the kitchen must be very big (roomy). So you use the kitchen as kitchen-dinner. This is very popular in the USA.

Pic 4
The stairs are in the hallway not in the sitting room. From the pic, when you come through the main entrance door, the stairs are facing you and to your right there is a door to the sitting area and the kitchen. The implication is household members can access upstairs without going through the sitting area and you have a very nice hallway. Another advantage of this is visitors don't come through the main entrance door straight into the sitting area. They are received first by the hallway and ushered in to the sitting area. This is very popular in England.

The decision is yours.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Grace2Grace(m): 9:15pm On Apr 07, 2020
Professionals in the house, I greet o. Pls I need insight on how many blocks of 9 inches will take a 4 units of 2bedroom from foundation to DPC.

Also, how many blocks will be most suitable to mould from one bag of cement.....!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 10:30pm On Apr 07, 2020
Grace2Grace:
Professionals in the house, I greet o. Pls I need insight on how many blocks of 9 inches will take a 4 units of 2bedroom from foundation to DPC.

Also, how many blocks will be most suitable to mould from one bag of cement.....!!

Share the floor plan first if you need answers to the first question.

Second question - 1 Bag of Cement = 30 - 35 Blocks of 9 inches is relatively standard.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (1355) (1356) (1357) (1358) (1359) (1360) (1361) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: joetoocute, baaliyah(m), dareh85, TTnx

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.