Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,478 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:59 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1460) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4376278 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1457) (1458) (1459) (1460) (1461) (1462) (1463) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:58pm On Jul 09, 2020
princemiah:
called him and we will be meeting tonight
Any update?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:23am On Jul 10, 2020
folmus:
Land inside an estate or outside of estate. Which would you recommend ?

I don't have any regards for gated private developments (Estate) as executed in Nigeria. But the choice to buy or not to buy in a gated development is a personal choice in its entirety. It depends on how you want to live, the variables you want to control living your life and the complete freedom and ownership over your estate (building). I may buy into a government gated development but not a private one for the following reasons:

Viability
Gated development needs serious capital and top-notch legal documentation and title documents. But in Nigeria, this is done haphazardly without proper title document, proper funding, estate layout and building of supportive infrastructure. It is all too common for estate vendors to take your money and don't allocate you immediately. The allocation may take years if at all. The allocation depends all too often on the uptake and subscription. If the subscription is poor, there is the real chance that you will never be allocated and because the project was poorly funded from inception (just hoping on subscription), the whole project may collapse with subscribers losing their deposits and payments. This is all too common.

Risk/Agitation of ethnic nationalities
Apart from governmental approval by way of excision and global Certificate of Occupancy which can be cumbersome and long winding, there is also the risk of the agitation of ethnic nationalities laying claims to the project and family squabbles. The problem is subscribers will not be aware of these underlining problems until they make payment and then these problems rear their ugly heads especially if the venture is successful. It should be noted that subscribers need government excision and approval of the Global Certificate of Occupancy to have complete legal ownership of the title document and the built property.

Lack of control
Even if the venture is successful, all too often the vendors will place so many restrictive covenants on the estate. For example, subscribers can only build a certain type of property. This to me is monotonous and boring. The vendors legislate what you can use your building for and how you can use it. So if your circumstances change, you will need to seek permission for a change of use of your property and possibly heavy payment therefrom. The freedom and advantage of converting your property in future for example to profitable shops is out. I don't like this loss of freedom and dominion over my property. Tomorrow is pregnant; nobody knows what it will bear. If that tomorrow comes, I want the freedom to decide not some estate management firm.

The burden of unadopted
Most estates in Nigeria are unadopted by the government. This means the roads and the supply of amenities like electricity are at the expense of the subscribers. Estate security, service charge and refuse discharge are managed by the vendors. There are even cases where electricity is supplied by vendors. Under normal circumstances, this can be a good thing. But in Nigeria, we have witnessed vendor charging extortionist rate for these services making a peaceful living in some estate impossible. And because such payments are communal, you have a situation where some estate subscribers will be paying diligently, others will not be paying as at when due thereby leeching on others. Because not all are paying, the money raised is never enough to carry out the needed maintenance of the estate, so that money goes into a black hole and the estate is left derelict which devalues the properties in the estate.

I may buy into a government scheme but will hesitate to subscribe to a private scheme. There is a huge advantage of a gated community like security but I don't like loss of personal control that may come with a gated scheme. I would rather buy a large expanse of land, but a personal residence and a couple of bungalows for rentals and gate it. So I have control and security.

11 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wyloutproperty: 4:20am On Jul 10, 2020
diordaves:

I don't have any regards for gated private developments (Estate) as executed in Nigeria. But the choice to buy or not to buy in a gated development is a personal choice in its entirety. It depends on how you want to live, the variables you want to control living your life and the complete freedom and ownership over your estate (building). I may buy into a government gated development but not a private one for the following reasons:

Viability
Gated development needs serious capital and top-notch legal documentation and title documents. But in Nigeria, this is done haphazardly without proper title document, proper funding, estate layout and building of supportive infrastructure. It is all too common for estate vendors to take your money and don't allocate you immediately. The allocation may take years if at all. The allocation depends all too often on the uptake and subscription. If the subscription is poor, there is the real chance that you will never be allocated and because the project was poorly funded from inception (just hoping on subscription), the whole project may collapse with subscribers losing their deposits and payments. This is all too common.

Apart from governmental approval by way of excision and global Certificate of Occupancy which can be cumbersome and long winding, there is also the risk of the agitation of ethnic nationalities laying claims to the project and family squabbles. The problem is subscribers will not be aware of these underlining problems until they make payment and then these problems rear their ugly heads especially if the venture is successful. It should be noted that subscribers need government excision and approval of the Global Certificate of Occupancy to have complete legal ownership of the title document and the built property.

Lack of control
Even if the venture is successful, all too often the vendors will place so many restrictive covenants on the estate. For example, subscribers can only build a certain type of property. This to me is monotonous and boring. The vendors legislate what you can use your building for and how you can use it. So if your circumstances change, you will need to seek permission for a change of use of your property and possibly heavy payment therefrom. The freedom and advantage of converting your property in future for example to profitable shops is out. I don't like this loss of freedom and dominion over my property. Tomorrow is pregnant; nobody knows what it will bear. If that tomorrow comes, I want the freedom to decide not some estate management firm.

The burden of unadopted
Most estates in Nigeria are unadopted by the government. This means the roads and the supply of amenities like electricity are at the expense of the subscribers. Estate security, service charge and refuse discharge are managed by the vendors. There are even cases where electricity is supplied by vendors. Under normal circumstances, this can be a good thing. But in Nigeria, we have witnessed vendor charging extortionist rate for these services making a peaceful living in some estate impossible. And because such payments are communal, you have a situation where some estate subscribers will be paying diligently, others will not be paying as at when due thereby leeching on others. Because not all are paying, the money raised is never enough to carry out the needed maintenance of the estate, so that money goes into a black hole and the estate is left derelict which devalues the properties in the estate.

I may buy into a government scheme but will hesitate to subscribe to a private scheme. There is a huge advantage of a gated community like security but I don't like loss of personal control that may come with a gated scheme. I would rather buy a large expanse of land, but a personal residence and a couple of bungalows for rentals and gate it. So I have control and security.

I concur with the above.

contact me for privately owned property(bare land) outside estate along orchid hotel road opposite Victoria Crest Estate, Lekki 2nd toll gate Lagos state. ZERO AGENT FEES and ZERO AGREEMENT FEES. Just processing fee of 1.5% to allow for bank charges, tax and stamp duties.

email: alexcharles007@yahoo.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 5:25am On Jul 10, 2020
You have said it all! That lack of freedom is my major concern
diordaves:

Viability

Lack of control

The burden of unadopted

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 7:42am On Jul 10, 2020
yinkaoke:
Good day my wonderful ogas.
Please see both sands attached, those r d two plaster sand pictures l could get.

Please which of them is best. I am very concerned about d Outlook of my project as l would not paint for a long time.

Please help me get the best of plaster sand colour to show the supplier as my demand

I need my project player finishing to be white and smooth without breaks.

I will really be grateful. Project at lkorodu

Thanks for the quick response

Ma, The first one will do the job if it isn't a sharp sand.
just inform the supplier that you need a good plastering sand Which will not be brown.
The second is a no go area, it isn't a normal sand used with cement, most times we use its type to sand fill.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Poguspecial: 8:22am On Jul 10, 2020
Are you in need of different types of building sand and building blocks....? And you reside in Benin city...

Contact us today at QUICK SERVICE VENTURE for prompt delivery of quality building sand and building blocks...

Contact/WhatsApp-08067500739
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 11:14am On Jul 10, 2020
ArcToyin:

Both are good.
Outside estate challenge is omo onile wahala, if you are able to scale through that, nothing else. The land cost of outside estate is very cheap compared to those of Estates even in the same region. In Estates, you are able to enjoy infrastructural facilities, security is guaranteed too. Outside Estate, you pay less on annual due( developmental dues, maintainace, security etc).

Dont mind the way i arranged it.

Thanks. The problem is, they (estates) can be dubious in their dealings.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 11:37am On Jul 10, 2020
diordaves:

Viability

Lack of control

The burden of unadopted

I have a been a victim of B. A seemed to be ok but eventually,it was a lost of huge amount of money. The company has closed shop. The land transfered to families and we have no one to talk to; MD ran out of Nigeria. Properties worth millions of Naira on it from many subscribers. That's why I put it up to really learn from it. All reservations made above are spot on.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 11:43am On Jul 10, 2020
Wyloutproperty:

I concur with the above.

contact me for privately owned property(bare land) outside estate along orchid hotel road opposite Victoria Crest Estate. ZERO AGENT FEES and ZERO AGREEMENT FEES. Just processing fee of 1.5% to allow for bank charges, tax and stamp duties.

email: alexcharles007@yahoo.com

In what state?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wyloutproperty: 12:32pm On Jul 10, 2020
folmus:

In what state?

Lekki 2nd toll gate, Lagos state.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 10, 2020
Pompoms:
Very true. I've scoured the pages of Houzz and the likes. I just hope I get it right.
By the way , is it granite for the worktops or marble?

Depends on what you want
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 1:28pm On Jul 10, 2020
babasewen:

Thanks a lot, I have a plan. I want the land in a location that is already opened. Anywhere along EKSU will be ideal. I'll check for your email and send you the plan

if you like adebayo area a plot there 3m WhatsApp me..also theres an old hostel for sale around eksu 10 rooms with 2 toilets and baths. 4.5m you can demolished and rebuild ur on taste structure or renovate the building to your taste also.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Beframia: 7:33pm On Jul 10, 2020
Hello Professionals in the house,
I have just commenced a 4-bedroom bungalow project, the blinding has just been done today (see attached pic), I don't intend to do a German floor because the land is not swampy and the builder advised that a thin water-proof membrane should just be laid on the foundation blocks after filling the hollows with concrete.
My concerns are:
1. Can pillars still be erected at some specific corners of the house considering the fact that blinding has already been done?
2. If the answer to 1 above is yes, what are the rod sizes/quantities and other materials needed for this (for five pillars) and what's the estimated labour costs?
Thanks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 8:19pm On Jul 10, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:58pm On Jul 10, 2020
Beframia:
I have just commenced a 4-bedroom bungalow project, the blinding has just been done today (see attached pic), I don't intend to do a German floor because the land is not swampy and the builder advised that a thin water-proof membrane should just be laid on the foundation blocks after filling the hollows with concrete.
My concerns are:
1. Can pillars still be erected at some specific corners of the house considering the fact that blinding has already been done?
2. If the answer to 1 above is yes, what are the rod sizes/quantities and other materials needed for this (for five pillars) and what's the estimated labour costs?
Thanks.
More safe post ur building plan to introduce the columns point, you will need more than 5, 1length of 16mm iron rod to a Pillar.most time i advice why not prepare the structure for the future, reason your children may decide to want to do decking to raise building up in future.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 10:05pm On Jul 10, 2020
We might discussed this before but I need my brain refreshed.

It is about land survey and C of O. I was discussing this with a lawyer and everything i heard was not that pleasant. We talked about c/o how difficult it is to obtain it. He told me many people dont get it. That when they purchase land they do Deed Of Assignment and Survey and stop right there. And that many who applied for o/c were denied and their money not refunded and it cost as much as 700 in this particular area (Ogun State). For this reason I simply wanna ignore c/o. I am sure they can not demolish all properties for that.

Then we talked about survey plan. I actually thought this was something simple. When i did my Deed Of Assignment they talked about survey and cutting the land et'al. Now they are talking about survey again that I should get it done bcus it confers ownership to me. But I am wondering what the use of Deed Of Assignment?. Is Nigeria playing games with people by means of different words or phrases or titles for the same documents?.

I feel so sad like common land is even hard to manage in the country. Lawyer told me it costs 550k per 2 plots for survey. How about those who purchased acres of lands and don't even have enough for survey. This amount is too much on top of other wahala. Why are Black nations making things difficult?. I was charged for survey in the Deeds Of Assignment for 70k. I don't want to be duped that's why i want to get informed. I dont believe there is hanky panky yet but after i heard survey is over 500k per 2 plots, I really don't feel like buying more lands.. It doesn't make sense to buy all these cheap acres but then survey and c of o are difficult to get. I thought i have heard enough of crap with c of o until i was told survey price plus there is possibility of losing 2 plots to the road after survey according to lawyer.

what do you think?

mufutau55 spyder880
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 11:17pm On Jul 10, 2020
Empiree:

It is about land survey and C of O. I was discussing this with a lawyer and everything i heard was not that pleasant. We talked about c/o how difficult it is to obtain it. He told me many people dont get it. That when they purchase land they do Deed Of Assignment and Survey and stop right there. And that many who applied for o/c were denied and their money not refunded and it cost as much as 700 in this particular area (Ogun State). For this reason I simply wanna ignore c/o. I am sure they can not demolish all properties for that.

Then we talked about survey plan. I actually thought this was something simple. When i did my Deed Of Assignment they talked about survey and cutting the land et'al. Now they are talking about survey again that I should get it done bcus it confers ownership to me. But I am wondering what the use of Deed Of Assignment?. Is Nigeria playing games with people by means of different words or phrases or titles for the same documents?.

I feel so sad like common land is even hard to manage in the country. Lawyer told me it costs 550k per 2 plots for survey. How about those who purchased acres of lands and don't even have enough for survey. This amount is too much on top of other wahala. Why are Black nations making things difficult?. I was charged for survey in the Deeds Of Assignment for 70k. I don't want to be duped that's why i want to get informed. I dont believe there is hanky panky yet but after i heard survey is over 500k per 2 plots, I really don't feel like buying more lands.. It doesn't make sense to buy all these cheap acres but then survey and c of o are difficult to get. I thought i have heard enough of crap with c of o until i was told survey price plus there is possibility of losing 2 plots to the road after survey according to lawyer.

what do you think?

mufutau55 spyder880

https://aolmanagementconsult.com.ng/difference-between-a-c-of-o-certificate-of-occupancy-and-governors-consent-registered-deed-of-assignment/

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 1:41am On Jul 11, 2020
I think pillars can still be done since it is a bungalow, although the best way is to dig beyond the blinding level for pillars.
God will strengthen you in the course of the project...
Beframia:
My concerns are:
Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 1:47am On Jul 11, 2020
I am interested in this, pls enlighten...
Empiree:

what do you think?

mufutau55 spyder880
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Matjekdar: 4:58am On Jul 11, 2020
Hi professional in the house , I need a good architect in osogbo for drawing and approval of simple 3bedrrom flat on a plot of land

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 6:34am On Jul 11, 2020
Hello all,

If I am selling a property in the region of 40-45m, what % is practical and reasonable to pay as agency fees and also legal fees?

I know most times they request 5% or 10% each but people end up paying them much less depending on property value, so as a SELLER what % should i bargain for?

What is the realistic, reasonable and practical percentage to pay each of those professionals? What's obtainable out there?

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:02am On Jul 11, 2020
megacontrol:
Hello all,

If I am selling a property in the region of 40-45m, what % is practical and reasonable to pay as agency fees and also legal fees?

I know most times they request 5% or 10% each but people end up paying them much less depending on property value, so as a SELLER what % should i bargain for?

What is the realistic, reasonable and practical percentage to pay each of those professionals? What's obtainable out there?

Thanks
My opinion collect N1m frm both seller & buyer.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 7:10am On Jul 11, 2020
I am the SELLER (not agent)... asking how much percentage should be paid to agent that brings buyer and how much to pay to lawyer for sorting paperwork.

Chekitaut:
My opinion collect N1m frm both seller & buyer.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:35am On Jul 11, 2020
megacontrol:
I am the SELLER (not agent)... asking how much percentage should be paid to agent that brings buyer and how much to pay to lawyer for sorting paperwork.

Same apply
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tonididdy(m): 8:06am On Jul 11, 2020
yinkaoke:
Good day my wonderful ogas.
Please see both sands attached, those r d two plaster sand pictures l could get.

Please which of them is best. I am very concerned about d Outlook of my project as l would not paint for a long time.

Please help me get the best of plaster sand colour to show the supplier as my demand

I need my project player finishing to be white and smooth without breaks.

I will really be grateful. Project at lkorodu

Thanks for the quick response
I don't think you can get that whitish finish you are hoping for with the plaster sand you have. That whitish finish is dependent on the type of sand used.

Your best bet will be to use any sand and then screed.

PS: there are 2 types of screening. There is screening using screening paint and there is screeding with paintbrush and a cement-water mixture.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sam1919: 8:50am On Jul 11, 2020
Hello house! Good morning

1. Please can someone come go has experience tell me a rough estimate to do the filling of a 3 bedroom and 2 room self contain. How much per truck for a trip of sand for filling too.

2. Can I erect the pillars after my filling or before? Is it advisable to do it after the filing?
Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 9:31am On Jul 11, 2020
Matjekdar:
Hi professional in the house , I need a good architect in osogbo for drawing and approval of simple 3bedrrom flat on a plot of land
Good day. here's an architect that can do the drawings and deliver it to you. i reside in Ibadan.
Oak Group is the name of our organization, you can count on us for the project.
Here's my contact. 08108408732 call/whatsapp.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 10:27am On Jul 11, 2020
Please, can anyone that sells sanitary wares provide pictures, brand and prices of concealed (wall) WC that they have?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 10:28am On Jul 11, 2020
money121:
Roofing Thread Hit 290k+ Views today on Number 1 Forum ( https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types/89#down) in African and Pop up daily on Google Search Engine
Big thanks to all my potential Client's here in Nigeria & Abroad.. Have vow to stay Positive and maintain my Legit Way!!
No 1 Top Roofer In Nigeria
congrats. my bro. more wins.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 10:32am On Jul 11, 2020
Please can you give me the contact of the NL QS you mentioned in this post, i'll like him to fix a BOQ for me for a renovation and he'll be paid. Thanks

Enyinne:
He didnt request for money as he said in the forum to give my details so he can send me quote . I gave him d details and he sent for me freely . I just dashed him the 10k to encourage him as a young hussling guy. We still talk and he wants to visit my site to see how am doing it. I will recommend him to people that may need his services in future. Even if u want to start , just save up and start with ur little budget , cos if ur looking at quote ,u will get HBP even before the project kick start. The bill can be discouraging and prices difference is much now as compared to quote done.Note : my current builder charged me 15k for QS

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 10:40am On Jul 11, 2020
Empiree:

I feel so sad like common land is even hard to manage in the country. Lawyer told me it costs 550k per 2 plots for survey.
pardon me. I misread this from lawyer yesterday. I must be very angry at the time. I just took my time to read his comment again and it is 550k for the 2 acres not per 2 plots. That's why I freaked out.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 11:48am On Jul 11, 2020
Femi , u can call him
megacontrol:
Please can you give me the contact of the NL QS you mentioned in this post, i'll like him to fix a BOQ for me for a renovation and he'll be paid. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (1457) (1458) (1459) (1460) (1461) (1462) (1463) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: toyeoye(m), RockOfAgesAlumi(m), gbadexy(m), michaellek and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.