Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,837 members, 7,838,002 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1633) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4449677 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1630) (1631) (1632) (1633) (1634) (1635) (1636) ... (3680) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 10:58am On Sep 20, 2020
BrabusNG:

The most expensive part of any build are the kitchen, toilets and bath.

I did en-suite back in the days. I use my sense these days.

There are 2 toilets we’ve not really used in my house for almost a decade.

The configuration is 5 bed (4 ensuite) and 5 WC.
Maybe the extra features will be used some day but I’m not really sure when that gonna be. It was built when the kids were babies. In few years, they’d be in high school. In decade, they’ll be starting their own life.

Just think aloud, who does en-suite houses really benefit apart from a very large family.

You may not use them often, the cost of setting them up could have gone to something more useful.
Agreed, children (teenagers and little adults) deserve some privacy too but they are also notorious for being careless and thoughtless in usage and respect for properties, there is need as parent to monitor and point thing out in those regards, only through community bathroom/toilet(visitors toilet could serve as spare) that's possible, else that culture may be a habit.
Making all rooms ensuite is all about client wild dreams than convenience/privacy, for me 1 bathroom (with separate bathtub and shower) and 2 toilets is more than enough.
I think it's time Nigeria start organising building fairs. There are enough creative ideas for big family out there than wasting interior spaces.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mjolnir: 10:59am On Sep 20, 2020
mssiah:

I have read through all the comment about the design of the 2 bedroom apartment. Where the building is being built the rent for a 2 bedroom goes for 800k above. Presently the building is on decking stage. I believe tenants also deserve privacy. I considered a lot before I started building.

Opinions are like anuses, everyone has one, carefully weigh ypour options and the kind of tenants you are targetting, as far back as 2008, i rented a 2br with visitor toilet and both rooms ensuite, thus 3 WC FOR 350k, in woji axis, and it was gr8. everything depends on location and target tenants.

my dads old house in the village, his rm isnt ensuite, and we hv told him severally, for us to make it ensuite for him, he has vehemently refused. grin grin, guess he doesnt understand the concept of toilet being in the same space as the room. for an 800k rent 2br house in present day nigeria. they sure deserve and will like the 3 WC arrangment, for a sub 250k a year rent, its a no brainer putting 3wc based on cost/clientel

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 10:59am On Sep 20, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I agree that VT is necessary.

My assumption is that people are thinking one of the two bedrooms be en-suite and the other bedroom be configured to be shareable by the bedroom and guest. A door in the lobby that still gives privacy to the bedroom occupants to enter without being seen from the living room.

With a visitors toilet, we’re talking about just a hand basin and toilet.

I’m envisioning my flats occupied by working professionals who may have a roommate situation. So I built privacy into it from the design stage.

I’m most uncomfortable with the ideology that renters are swine that doesn’t deserve good residences.

I’m not ruling out VT but I’m saying people will pay for good location over lack of features.

In my former estate, I once lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with just one bath.

Guess what I was paying in 2014? N1.0m
I saw 250k builds with 3 toilets but I want a better location.

I chose the estate because of security and good facilities. I decided to live with the other stuffs.

I don’t take unnecessary guests. You can always meet me in the estate guest house or sports center.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 11:12am On Sep 20, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I agree that VT is necessary.

My assumption is that people are thinking one of the two bedrooms be en-suite and the other bedroom be configured to be shareable by the bedroom and guest. A door in the lobby that still gives privacy to the bedroom occupants to enter without being seen from the living room.

With a visitors toilet, we’re talking about just a hand basin and toilet.

I’m envisioning my flats occupied by working professionals who may have a roommate situation. So I built privacy into it from the design stage.

I’m most uncomfortable with the ideology that renters are swine that doesn’t deserve good residences.
why share baths when you can have one privately, most people with ensuite rooms remove clothes right in the bedroom, stroll to the bath still naked, finish their business and come into the room still naked before deciding to dress up or still remain like that, you don't have that luxury in a shared bath. and everybody deserves that privilege, whether master and madam, or kids, even servants. the additional cost in construction is mostly insignificant. when possible I usually attached a toilet to the generator/security post so that not everyone would have to ogas house to pee. whether it's used or not is not really necessary, I can always use it to store harmful chemicals away from the reach of kids.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:15am On Sep 20, 2020
vickzie:
why share baths when you can have one privately, most of us with ensuite rooms walk remove clothes right in the bedroom, stroll to the bath still naked, finish our business and come into the room still naked before deciding to dress up or still remain like that, you don't have that luxury in a shared bath. and everybody deserves that privilege, whether master and madam, or kids, even servants. the additional cost in construction is mostly insignificant.

I agree with you and I’m walking the talk.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:19am On Sep 20, 2020
BrabusNG:

I’m not ruling out VT but I’m saying people will pay for good location over lack of features.

In my former estate, I once lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with just one bath.

Guess what I was paying in 2014? N1.0m
I saw 250k builds with 3 toilets but I want a better location.

I chose the estate because of security and good facilities. I decided to live with the other stuffs.

I don’t take unnecessary guests. You can always meet me in the estate guest house or sports center.

Baba, of course now. In real estate it’s location, location, location.

That’s why there’s a difference between East LA and West LA in terms of pricing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 11:37am On Sep 20, 2020
adanny01:

I still can't see the over kill.

I have seen tenants moving out of a 2 bedroom flat just because the could not manage with 1WC and bathroom.

In many of the houses with visitors toilet, this toilet ends up being the most used toilet especially because of its proximity to family living area.

I have seen tenants pay more just to have more toilets. Tenants pay more to have POP rather than PVC.

Is it that a person living in a 2 bedroom flat is not entitled to a comfortable home or what exactly?

So, I can't see your point please state it clearly.
I know you may not see the overkill.... it's only a critical, concious and focus person will see that.
Every apartment are designed to specifically target a group of people/family, so a 2 bedroom apartment with 1toilet and bathroom for a family of 7 person won't work well without patience unless he well to do to upgrade to a bigger one, but they may not need anything more than 1 bathroom and 2 toilets (family & visitors toilets), you don't use the bathroom(shower) much than toilet daily.

Having sweet wild dreams is any persons right though, but being complacent is entirely different from being comfortable. While your hard earned money can make you believe being inherently deserving of privilege or special treatment the question is is that REALLY necessary?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 11:39am On Sep 20, 2020
omanzo02:

You may not use them often, the cost of setting them up could have gone to something more useful.
Agreed, children (teenagers and little adults) deserve some privacy too but they are also notorious for being careless and thoughtless in usage and respect for properties, there is need as parent to monitor and point thing out in those regards, only through community bathroom/toilet(visitors toilet could serve as spare) that's possible, else that culture may be a habit.
Making all rooms ensuite is all about client wild dreams than convenience/privacy, for me 1 bathroom (with separate bathtub and shower) and 2 toilets is more than enough.
I think it's time Nigeria start organising building fairs. There are enough creative ideas for big family out there than wasting interior spaces.

I propose Nairaland Properties’ Housing Fair

An annual summit that provides an important platform for Nairaland real estate leaders/investors/actors to discuss most pertinent opportunities and issues in the Nigeria’s real estate market yearly.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 11:45am On Sep 20, 2020
vickzie:
why share baths when you can have one privately, most people with ensuite rooms remove clothes right in the bedroom, stroll to the bath still naked, finish their business and come into the room still naked before deciding to dress up or still remain like that, you don't have that luxury in a shared bath. and everybody deserves that privilege, whether master and madam, or kids, even servants. the additional cost in construction is mostly insignificant. when possible I usually attached a toilet to the generator/security post so that not everyone would have to ogas house to pee. whether it's used or not is not really necessary, I can always use it to store harmful chemicals away from the reach of kids.
I did this for a client with a large land area and his build 60m from the gate, convinced him to have a toilet serving the public and a patio close to his gate so he or friends don't have to walk almost 50m to his build just to pee while drinking. the more the toilets, the better value the property has in the property market, as far as there is space for it, I don't see why it should be an issue. The additional cost is not even upto the cost of 1 or 2 appliances that would be installed in the build.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mjolnir: 11:54am On Sep 20, 2020
diordaves:

The sonic ones are highly effective. The estate maintenance guys use same in my work place for pest control. I use the sonic ones in Nigeria mostly as mosquitoes repellent. They work like magic. The solar sonic will be very ideal for Nigeria but I've not used this before but I know solar garden lights can last more than 5 years without maintenance. So I trust the solar sonic system will last just as much.

Nigeria snakes no go stubborn pass rattlesnake for USA na when it comes to sonic sound. Here we use sonic sound to keep troublesome youths away from town center, shopping centers and bus/train stations.

the sonic mosquito and rat repellant, i bought dont appear to be effective. would you mind sharing the link/source of yours
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:55am On Sep 20, 2020
vickzie:
I did this for a client with a large land area and his build 60m from the gate, convinced him to have a toilet serving the public and a patio close to his gate so he or friends don't have to walk almost 50m to his build just to pee while drinking. the more the toilets, the better value the property has in the property market, as far as there is space for it, I don't see why it should be an issue. The additional cost is not even upto the cost of 1 or 2 appliances that would be installed in the build.

I really like this design. I couldn’t find any fault. Live the dedicated battery space.

What’s upstairs? Entertaining deck?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 11:59am On Sep 20, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I really like this design. I couldn’t find any fault. Live the dedicated battery space.

What’s upstairs? Entertaining deck?
2 rooms for ogas boys. oga na Godfather with plenty Godsons

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 12:01pm On Sep 20, 2020
BrabusNG:

I propose Nairaland Properties’ Housing Fair

An annual summit that provides an important platform for Nairaland real estate leaders/investors/actors to discuss most pertinent opportunities and issues in the Nigeria’s real estate market yearly.

It's very necessary, Nigeria's property development and businesses are growing fast, in building fairs you get to see simple, cheaper and creative architectural methods and interior decoration for homes. I don't know if trade fair still exist, property fair is just too big to merge with trade fair.
Rotating from region to region annually.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 12:07pm On Sep 20, 2020
I want to say I'm learning a whole lot from this talk about building for a family.

Here in Nnewi, you will see these billionaires having more than five structures in same compound and you can't help but wonder what will happen after few years when they are old.

The popular one that manufacture cars, if you see his compound and the number of structures in it eh. Funny thing is that he's still building more inside same compound. I don't know his plans though.

Thanks for the insights

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 12:14pm On Sep 20, 2020
omanzo02:

It's very necessary, Nigeria's property development and businesses are growing fast, in building fairs you get to see simple, cheaper and creative architectural methods and interior decoration for homes. I don't know if trade fair still exist, property fair is just too big to merge with trade fair.
Rotating from region to region annually.

cc: Egunmogaji2, Mufutau55, Diordavies, ericko2k2, lastpage, rotecch77, spyder880, money121, mrsteel, vickzie, saydfact, dennis3d, gbadexy1 and all other bosses that there are names are too big for me to mention.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 12:18pm On Sep 20, 2020
omanzo02:

A client may a have a request but it's the duty of the architect to let the client know the usefulness, cost, maintenance, functionality and flexibility. An experienced architect once told me never design a bedroom or garage that you cannot convert to an office or a house you can not sell in the future.
3WC and 2 bathrooms in 2 bedroom is an overkill.

so an en-suite bedroom is an overkill or what exactly is your point here. what makes a good office space, ain't an en-suite room even better than one without a toilet?
seems u don't understand what your EXPERIENCED ARCHITECT meant: he simply means your design should take care of the future so it stays updated n for easy conversion to desired space in years to come. if he advised you not to have an en-suite room, it may be that you were complaining of your purse or budget so he decided to give u what he deemed is within your budget or finance. so u don't go around saying it's an Overkill to have such in other people's design or property
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 12:26pm On Sep 20, 2020
megan1:
Pls house I just moved into my place. My concern is i have killed 4 scorpions in about 2 weeks. 3 baby ones and an average size one.
I am concerned how it could be getting in.
DPC was done. Floors r tiled (except 2 toilets i ll do later)
I usually see it in the parlor and it is tiled.

How can i eradicate it?
How do i even know where they are hiding. I have swept everywhere and didn't see it.

I fumigated in August before moving in.

Thanks

check for holes/spaces on n around your ceilings, edges of your windows sills n door side. also try to fumigate your roof again. how often do u leave your doors n windows open n is your environment bushy?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 12:30pm On Sep 20, 2020
Horlardorjah:

so an en-suite bedroom is an overkill or what exactly is your point here. what makes a good office space, ain't an en-suite room even better than one without a toilet?
seems u don't understand what your EXPERIENCED ARCHITECT meant: he simply means your design should take care of the future so it stays updated n for easy conversion to desired space in years to come. if he advised you not to have an en-suite room, it may be that you were complaining of your purse or budget so he decided to give u what he deemed is within your budget or finance. so u don't go around saying it's an Overkill to have such in other people's design or property
I have observed that most visitors especially guys would rather hold their pee and wait till they get outside than pee in a shared bathroom. but with a visitors toilet, everyone is comfortable. I for one won't step into a bathroom in a lady's apartment if it's not a separate v.wc. unless na my babe sha. I've seen so many pros of v.wc but I'm yet to see one con of it. although I have seen some poorly placed v.wc, where the toilet is facing you directly when you are in the sitting room.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seedorfbiggy(m): 12:49pm On Sep 20, 2020
For the best quality 304 stainless steel pipe and accessories for Railings installation please don't hesitate to call us or whatsapp 08183636054.... Cheap and affordable Handrail for home.. We available 24/7

[/size]08183636054[size=8pt]
[/font]08183636054[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]
[/sub]08183636054[sub]

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seedorfbiggy(m): 12:53pm On Sep 20, 2020
Quality handrail installation for home... Stainless steel Turkey pipe... For ever lasting guarantee Railings.. Don't hesitate to call us or whatsapp 08183636054

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 12:55pm On Sep 20, 2020
Horlardorjah:

Seem you came in halfway into the discussion, I have no problem with ensuite masters bedroom (toilet/bathroom) because it something you will put to use for a very long time, my critical and concious point is that a 2 bedroom apartment ensuite with toilets and bath and with visitors toilet is an overkill design and waste of useful interior space.
My experience architect pointed out making all room ensuite is not necessary and resources wastage because I may not need them when the children moved out and conversion will cost extra resources and extreme makeover in case, that I don't need more than 2 toilets and one bathroom in any house to guarantee comfort.
It's not about affordability but necessity, functionality and usefulness.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:07pm On Sep 20, 2020
BrabusNG:

cc: Egunmogaji2, Mufutau55, Diordavies, ericko2k2, lastpage, rotecch77, spyder880, money121, mrsteel, vickzie, saydfact, dennis3d, gbadexy1 and all other bosses that there are names are too big for me to mention.

They already do one here. I sent my partner to one a few years back that was held at UI. I'll try to find some more information on it.

Not to sound pompous but I personally don't think I'll learn from it. I have a clear opinion of what I want to do and what is good based on my sojourn.

I think the combination of the foreign experience that I bring to the table and my partners knowledge of Nigeria as well as listening to our various artisans gives me all I need.

If there's anything I am passionate about, it's getting modern tools into the hands of these guys and training them. I cannot get my masons to use basic hand tools for any length of time.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to create reusable metal work for setting out. The wood is wastefulness.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 1:08pm On Sep 20, 2020
vickzie:
I have observed that most visitors especially guys would rather hold their pee and wait till they get outside than pee in a shared bathroom. but with a visitors toilet, everyone is comfortable. I for one won't step into a bathroom in a lady's apartment if it's not a separate v.wc. unless na my babe sha. I've seen so many pros of v.wc but I'm yet to see one con of it. although I have seen some poorly placed v.wc, where the toilet is facing you directly when you are in the sitting room.
Visitors WC is necessary in my opinion, my point was a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 toilets and 2 bathroom is an overkill design or request, I know the client/owner is entitled to spend his money as he feel, I am only critical of the necessity.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:12pm On Sep 20, 2020
michlins:
I want to say I'm learning a whole lot from this talk about building for a family.

Here in Nnewi, you will see these billionaires having more than five structures in same compound and you can't help but wonder what will happen after few years when they are old.

The popular one that manufacture cars, if you see his compound and the number of structures in it eh. Funny thing is that he's still building more inside same compound. I don't know his plans though.

Thanks for the insights

I recently rediscovered Eze Ego. #Sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08PoxDlKPE
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 1:12pm On Sep 20, 2020
omanzo02:

Visitors WC is necessary in my opinion, my point was a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 toilets and 2 bathroom is an overkill design or request, I know the client/owner is entitled to spend his money as he feel, I am only critical of the necessity.
even if it's a 1 bedroom flat, I would pick the one that has 2 baths to one with single bath.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 1:13pm On Sep 20, 2020
vickzie:

Baba, do you mean the additional cost of the following is insignificant?

1. The cost of building a 3 - 5sqm Room
2. +/- 16sqm wall tiles
3. Floor Tiles
4. Water Closet/Bathroom furnitures
5. Plumbing
6. Electricals
7. Door
8. Window
9. Burglar Proof
10. Ceiling

A simple small bath 1m x 3m (WC only, no shower/heater, cheap hand wash) will cost about 300k to put up translating to about 100k per sqm

A standard room of 3.6 x 3.6m with tiles and full pop ceiling will cost about 450k translating to about 45k per sqm.

Those bath looks so small. They’re not cheap at all.

I know we do it but I don’t think the excuse really worth it. In fact, it was your post that reminded me I have a toilet in my gate house. I’ve forgotten about that completely because we never have any reason to use it.
That makes it 3 underutilized spaces in the house.

______
I recently did a 4 bed duplex and attached flats. We ended up with 13 bathrooms and I told the client “This build will cost you some money.” No other reason but because of the toilets.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 1:18pm On Sep 20, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

They already do one here. I sent my partner to one a few years back that was held at UI. I'll try to find some more information on it.

Not to sound pompous but I personally don't think I'll learn from it. I have a clear opinion of what I want to do and what is good based on my sojourn.

I think the combination of the foreign experience that I bring to the table and my partners knowledge of Nigeria as well as listening to our various artisans gives me all I need.

If there's anything I am passionate about, it's getting modern tools into the hands of these guys and training them. I cannot get my masons to use basic hand tools for any length of time.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to create reusable metal work for setting out. The wood is wastefulness.

I’ve been attending a lot in Nigeria and I think it’s worthwhile.

All the big players do showcase their products and we get to see the new stuffs.

I didn’t know one was held here.

If I say something is worth it, believe me baba “It’s worth my 150k in the first year and 90k, the second year.”

I think we had about 3 governors, 2 ministers, ministry of housing from about 6 states, Dangote, Lafarge and lots of the big players in the industry attend the one I’m talking about.

______
I’ve had it enough with wood.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 1:19pm On Sep 20, 2020
michlins:

Thanks for the insights
people have choices, some like big things, some like them small grin I like dem portable sha. Some men are polygamous when it comes to women, some others are polygamous when it comes to houses cool

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 1:27pm On Sep 20, 2020
vickzie:
people have choices, some like big things, some like them small grin I like dem portable sha. Some men are polygamous when it comes to women, some others are polygamous when it comes to houses cool

When I see this, I always remind people of this “Abiola’s Presidential Lodge”

My dad shared this with me and I’d never forget “You can never impress anybody.”

Read more:
https://thenationonlineng.net/june-12-abiolas-unfinished-presidential-lodge/amp/

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amosblisz: 1:35pm On Sep 20, 2020
What is the difference between a mini flat, self contained and a one bedroom apartment?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 1:55pm On Sep 20, 2020
My Ibadan folks, how is the Ido suburb? Is it a good area to invest in landed property?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1630) (1631) (1632) (1633) (1634) (1635) (1636) ... (3680) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: michlins(m), Rany4all(m), ONPASSIVEAJ(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.