Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,598 members, 7,840,424 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1635) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4454981 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1632) (1633) (1634) (1635) (1636) (1637) (1638) ... (3682) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 5:40pm On Sep 20, 2020
BrabusNG:

When I see this, I always remind people of this “Abiola’s Presidential Lodge”

My dad shared this with me and I’d never forget “You can never impress anybody.”

Read more:
https://thenationonlineng.net/june-12-abiolas-unfinished-presidential-lodge/amp/
if we build big houses, we would die, if we build small houses we would still die, so let's build what makes us happy and fulfilled (big or small), because in the end, we would still die. besides big house equals big money for architect and builder, big money for building materials guys, big money for maintenance guys, it helps our ministry.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 5:46pm On Sep 20, 2020
vickzie:
if we build big houses, we would die, if we build small houses we would still die, so let's build what makes us happy and fulfilled (big or small), because in the end, we would still die. besides big house equals big money for architect and builder, big money for building materials guys, big money for maintenance guys, it helps our ministry.

Big house equals big problem for the family of the deceased. grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:49pm On Sep 20, 2020
BrabusNG:

Abiola is the June 12 Hero. I don’t know how to explain or quantify his networth but he was extremely wealthy during his lifetime.

The building is in Ibarra Estate, Abeokuta Ogun state.
yeah I know that part but for someone to build an edifice that can host a thousand people at once is totally insane
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:50pm On Sep 20, 2020
vickzie:
hehehehehehehe. I see your point about the benefits to the value chain and I like am
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:52pm On Sep 20, 2020
jiday4:

Pour sniper into the kitchen zinc and also the toilet drainage, those two places are your number 1 culprit for scorpions and millipede.
Had same issues, we did fumigate everywhere but scorpions keep coming into the house ,until we find out they are either coming through the zinc or the toilet hole
good advice
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 6:06pm On Sep 20, 2020
gbadexy:

There used to be a lagos builder's fair but I'm not sure if they still do it.
I saw one posted on my facebook contact's page done in abuja last year though.

I always attend 3invest Annual Summit hosted in Lagos.

It is about the largest gathering of real estate professionals and developers in West Africa.

Few among the exhibitors include:

1. World Trade Center, Abuja
2. Atlantic City
3. Gracefield Island (newly sand filled plots in Lekki, Lagos)
4. Haven Homes
5. UPDC
6. Miles and Hectares (FM Maryland Mall and Art Hotel, Oniru)
7. ARM (Developer of Lakowe Lakes, Fara Park and Adiva Plainfields)
8. Rivtaf
9. Gran Imperio (Developer of Inagbe Resort)

And so many others too numerous to mention

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 6:06pm On Sep 20, 2020
BrabusNG:

Big house equals big problem for the family of the deceased. grin
our industry don't tolerate kazeems that would delibrately leave something unfixed so that you can keep coming back. Once you use the right materials and professionals in the building stage, maintenance cost is almost zero. Just sweep and mop whenever you need to. Most of us that travel to the village for Christmas, all we do is sweep and mop and everything returns to factory standard cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Sufisunni: 6:06pm On Sep 20, 2020
Good evening!
I am trying to decide between longspan, steptile and metcopo for roofing my building. 0.55mm thickness is my desired. Which one among them gives better protection against leakage?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 6:11pm On Sep 20, 2020
vickzie:
our industry don't tolerate kazeems that would delibrately leave something unfixed so that you can keep coming back. Once you use the right materials and professionals in the building stage, maintenance cost is almost zero. Just sweep and mop whenever you need to. Most of us that travel to the village for Christmas, all we do is sweep and mop and everything returns to factory standard cool

I guess Abiola, Eze Ego, and the likes couldn’t afford professionals and were using substandard materials in their magnificent projects. grin
Hence the reason their families couldn’t maintain the properties after they’re gone.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 6:23pm On Sep 20, 2020
BrabusNG:

I guess Abiola, Eze Ego, and the likes couldn’t afford professionals and were using substandard materials in their magnificent projects. grin
Hence the reason their families couldn’t maintain the properties after they’re gone.
true sha, but like I said, the contractor and everyone involved in the build "chopped big". I want more Eze Egos and Abiolas as Clients.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 6:34pm On Sep 20, 2020
vickzie:
true sha, but like I said, the contractor and everyone involved in the build "chopped big". I want more Eze Egos and Abiolas as Clients.

grin

We all want them too.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amosblisz: 6:40pm On Sep 20, 2020
Sufisunni:
Good evening!
I am trying to decide between longspan, steptile and metcopo for roofing my building. 0.55mm thickness is my desired. Which one among them gives better protection against leakage?

Metcopo for me is better
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 6:41pm On Sep 20, 2020
BrabusNG:

I always attend 3invest Annual Summit hosted in Lagos.

It is about the largest gathering of real estate professionals and developers in West Africa.

Few among the exhibitors include:

1. World Trade Center, Abuja
2. Atlantic City
3. Gracefield Island (newly sand filled plots in Lekki, Lagos)
4. Haven Homes
5. UPDC
6. Miles and Hectares (FM Maryland Mall and Art Hotel, Oniru)
7. ARM (Developer of Lakowe Lakes, Fara Park and Adiva Plainfields)
8. Rivtaf
9. Gran Imperio (Developer of Inagbe Resort)

And so many others too numerous to mention
That's great sir. Sounds like where I would want to be.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:53pm On Sep 20, 2020
Sufisunni:
Good evening!

Longspan. Leakage=Good Carpenter too.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megan1: 7:02pm On Sep 20, 2020
jiday4:

Pour sniper into the kitchen zinc and also the toilet drainage, those two places are your number 1 culprit for scorpions and millipede.
Had same issues, we did fumigate everywhere but scorpions keep coming into the house ,until we find out they are either coming through the zinc or the toilet hole
Ok Thank you.
I would do that too
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Sufisunni: 7:09pm On Sep 20, 2020
mufutau55:

Longspan. Leakage=Good Carpenter too.

Hajji M.
ok
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Sufisunni: 7:09pm On Sep 20, 2020
amosblisz:

Metcopo for me is better
ok
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 7:15pm On Sep 20, 2020
gbadexy:

That's great sir. Sounds like where I would want to be.

It’s the place to be!

2 Days / Thousand + Visitors/50+ Exhibitors / N20b+ worth of deals!

There are more than 2,500 guaranteed ready-to-invest visitors. It’s an event that offers large scope of sales, networking and branding opportunities.

I learnt a lot about precast concrete elements from the University of Lagos Team at the 2014 event

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 7:18pm On Sep 20, 2020
Dropping final note on VT.

If this project can survive without one, I believe any other builds can.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bebe2(f): 7:24pm On Sep 20, 2020
adanny01:

Madam, don't listen to what people say when you are doing the right thing.

Put yourself in a 2 bedroom flat, would you rather have a visitor in your bedroom to use your restroom or in your 1wc bathroom?

If the trend is having a visitors toilet, would you risk not having one.

My uncle has 2 properties, one has 6 units of 2bedroom flats and 2 units of 1bedroom flat while the other has 8units of 2bedroom flats. Out of the 14 2bedroom flats, only 3 have been occupied consecutively in the last 3 years. Of course all units have 1 wc and bathroom.

So even though they are 2 bedroom, the number of toilets is the main attraction. The mistake is considering his property a 2 bedroom with a 2 bedroom price tag that is same as the ones ensuite.

Trust me you don't wanna put your property at a disadvantage. 11 units of my uncle have been empty for over 2yrs now.

The trend is very clear.
wow, thats an eye opener.
its obviously a tenants market in nigeria.

80pc of 2 bedroom flats in the uk only have 1 toilet and bathroom.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 7:24pm On Sep 20, 2020
megan1:

They are few holes on the pop for chandeliers which we haven't put yet. Could they come from there?

I don't leave the doors and windows open. The environment isn't bushy but it's not floored yet.

Thank you I will try and fumigate the roof

they could be habitating in the hollow blocks n after plastering find their way up to the roof n drop from any possible hole or space.
that's just my personal opinion as their could be other ways like through your floor drains if not properly done n possibly with loads or items you moved in with like someone's also mentioned.

just do thorough check n fumigate both the roof n the house extensively again.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Moda1: 7:24pm On Sep 20, 2020
Pls does this metcopo hv bond . I hv been hearing about bond design but i dont know the classification of this roofing sheets
amosblisz:

Metcopo for me is better
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bebe2(f): 7:34pm On Sep 20, 2020
boay:

I can't see the dimensions on the drawings from the image, I would have given you a rough estimate.

By the way, will you execute it through direct labour?

not sure if i have that, but does this help??

it will be direct labour

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 7:44pm On Sep 20, 2020
Horlardorjah:

they could be habitating in the hollow blocks n after plastering find their way up to the roof n drop from any possible hole or space.
that's just my personal opinion as their could be other ways like through your floor drains if not properly done n possibly with loads or items you moved in with like someone's also mentioned.

just do thorough check n fumigate both the roof n the house extensively again.

I agree this could be the problem.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:47pm On Sep 20, 2020
bebe2:

am not happy with the 3WC in my plan, i think its an overkill. how can you be renting a 2 bedroom flat
for 300k and be looking for masters ensuite and separate toilet for visitor?

I don't think having that is an over kill. It's all dependent on the owner of the property and a willing occupant.I know lots of tenants who would feel comfortable with separate toilet. Rates also are dependent on location also.
In Bayelsa there are 1 bedroom flats that are at #300K and still have an extra toilet.

I did a design and built same units of 1 bedroom flat on 2 plots of land having a visitors' toilet and the rate will go for same #300K.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:56pm On Sep 20, 2020
rotecch77:

They have fantastic doors, here are some of there products.

Tomb up bro for bringing this here

Almost same as those guys I mentioned earlier

Are these doors really bullet proof?
How does one actually know that a door is bullet proof apart from trying to test it with a gun?

I once had a discussion some years back with a foreigner who told me if a bullet proof door does not come with a certificate backing it's proof(yness) then it's not bullet proof but just a grade of armoured door.

Is there any contrary view?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 8:10pm On Sep 20, 2020
bebe2:

not sure if i have that, but does this help??

it will be direct labour
this part of the drawing is likely to be copy and paste, might be wrong though. available floor space and usage rate would determine.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 8:14pm On Sep 20, 2020
I have a 5 bedroom bungalow that's is already at roofing stage, recently i decided to do small big, changes to the initial design, my contract with the builder has ended already, and i just want to do direct labour for the adjustment before moving on to roofing.

First image: the original plan.
Second image: what i intend doing.
Will this in anyway affect the overall safety of the house?
Do i need to do additional colum anywhere in the house?

Brabus I'll like to speak with you about roofs, i really like that type of roof that you posted recently, can i send you a mail?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bebe2(f): 8:20pm On Sep 20, 2020
BrabusNG:

My 2 bed was converted to a crèche. I told my agent “I’d rather use the flat for a school than have someone occupy my flats for 365 days and pay me meagre 300k (less than N1,000 per day.”

That’s just me by the way and the decision was based on the value attracted at the location where the project was done.

On the flip side, I did a multi-dwell mini flats project for a client in 2014. He has recouped all his investment as at today.
It’s 2 unit of 2 bed and 2 unit of 1 bed. 1 bed goes for 500k and 2 bed was 750k. It has all the features and conveniences.

thats my biggest dilemma in this project. the location is not very populated and i fear i might not be able to recoup my money in a long time hence i need an estimate before i embark on this project.

i also have a 600sqm land in Abraham adesanya, i rather concentrate on building that for better returns.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bebe2(f): 8:24pm On Sep 20, 2020
vickzie:
this part of the drawing is likely to be copy and paste, might be wrong though. available floor space and usage rate would determine.

honestly i dont understand that page, am hoping some here can explain.
i have message the architect and waiting for a reply.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by valencia2012(m): 8:25pm On Sep 20, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by valencia2012(m): 8:26pm On Sep 20, 2020
mufutau55:

My last project was a 7 bedrooms duplex and they are all ensuite plus a Visitor's toilet downstairs. It's all based on choice. No Architect can convince me otherwise because that is what I want. May be overkill but not for me, that is what is called personal choice. But in my rented houses, of course not.

Hajji M.

In fact, my ongoing retirement home, a six bedroom duplex has two visitors's toilets, one downstairs and on the upper floor. The main living room is without a void. I wouldn't want my visitors using my toilet, my wife or children's upstairs or the stress of juttling downstairs and up again.
Again, maybe an over over over kill with eight toilets, but you need all the comfort, privacy, luxury in your retirement!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (1632) (1633) (1634) (1635) (1636) (1637) (1638) ... (3682) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.