Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,290 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1642) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4445411 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1639) (1640) (1641) (1642) (1643) (1644) (1645) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:10pm On Sep 23, 2020
amanikondo:

You better check the building is not sinking. IF this was built by the Old Brabus that I know.

This one I'm seeing here is standing well!

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Muyi002(m): 12:10pm On Sep 23, 2020
jabolo:

No offense intended Chief. Your build, your choice.

I actually raised a thread here about potential utility of roof space so I'm always on the lookout for ideas.
https://www.nairaland.com/3750414/quick-question-roof-space-utility

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Haba Brother,

That is the beauty of this forum. I will not take any offence against you. It is very possible that I may be wrong and vice versa. It is good opinions are shared for all to learn.

You have done well. Bravo!!!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:15pm On Sep 23, 2020
jabolo:

No offense intended Chief. Your build, your choice.

I actually raised a thread here about potential utility of roof space so I'm always on the lookout for ideas.
https://www.nairaland.com/3750414/quick-question-roof-space-utility

Good luck with the rest of the build.

That was and is still an excellent thread.

In my courtyard bungalow, the safe room has a concrete deck on top and I fitted that as added storage area.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:17pm On Sep 23, 2020
Muyi002:

Haba Brother,

That is the beauty of this forum. I will not take any offence against you. It is very possible that I may be wrong and vice versa. It is good opinions are shared for all to learn.

You have done well. Bravo!!!

This was a Boss response.

Both of you handled it like esteemed gentlemen.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 12:19pm On Sep 23, 2020
Zino89:
pix and prices of doors please

What type of door do you need sir

Chatt me so that I can send you their samples and price as well

https:///2347087953771
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 12:22pm On Sep 23, 2020
Zino89:

Chatt me with this https:///2347087953771
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Person2person(m): 12:34pm On Sep 23, 2020
Zino89:

if you are interested in locally fabricated wooden doors......check https://www.nairaland.com/5898703/choosing-appropriate-board-furniture-works/3

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 2:57pm On Sep 23, 2020
lastpage:

It all depends on WHERE in Lekki, Lekki get grade!

There are parts of Lekki that are dry land, though Sandy and you will still need a raft to build a Story building
There are other parts of Lekki that are water-logged and still Sandy, your raft will cost more and it may even be a Drill
There is the third part of Lekki, the worst of them all, it is water, looged but not Sandy. IT IS A WATER-LOGGED SWAMP. angry angry
With this last one, l can ssure you that #10M for Foundation is not an exageration. I have one of it and l still dey regret how l got tricked into committing funds into it. The cost could have erected Two building in other places
... but it is a 'Sea Front', so tha compensates.

The importance of sub soil investigations especially in Lekki environs cannot be over emphasized. It might seems like an additional cost but it helps you to make good decision on the type of structure to build that will give good return on your investment.
We had a project at Ikoyi awhile back . The subsoil was poor from the result of the subsoil test. The client wanted three floors but a raft was not sufficient to support the structural loads so we had to pile. The cost of piling the structure was much so we advise the client to increase the number of floors to four to accommodate the cost of the foundation. He agreed and the structure was redesigned and it was worth it.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 3:16pm On Sep 23, 2020
Aforxzy:

The importance of sub soil investigations especially in Lekki environs cannot be over emphasized. It might seems like an additional cost but it helps you to make good decision on the type of structure to build that will give good return on your investment.
We had a project at Ikoyi awhile back . The subsoil was poor from the result of the subsoil test. The client wanted three floors but a raft was not sufficient to support the structural loads so we had to pile. The cost of piling the structure was much so we advise the client to increase the number of floors to four to accommodate the cost of the foundation. He agreed and the structure was redesigned and it was worth it.

But some client will still go ahead and build on the land without considering the huge cost. That was the case with the project we carried out in Akoka.
The client dropped close to 20 tons of rebar (various sizes) just for the foundation of a 4 bed duplex and 2 bedroom flats.

If one carry out physical assessment of this land, one can assume that it’s safe to support even 8 floors but the subsoil investigation report proved otherwise.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 3:27pm On Sep 23, 2020
money121:
Men @ Work.. Another Roofing Project Going @ Ilorin Kwara State

Are you Done with your woodwork and in Need of Quality Aluminium Roofing Sheet? Please Call/WhatsApp 08085310359
Customers Satisfaction is our Watch Word..

Steptiles Design

Traffic black

0.55mm

This is nice!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 3:37pm On Sep 23, 2020
jabolo:

Is this "I better pass my neighbor" roof?

Why is the roof so gigantic, compared to the building size?

It looks ugly but that's only my opinion.

Good luck.

It’s called “send down the rain.” You’d definitely like it if you see it physically.

Roof play an important role in the aesthetic of a building (especially a bungalow) as it represents about 40% of the visual exterior of the building. The higher it is, the better the protection from all weather conditions.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 3:49pm On Sep 23, 2020
[quote author=BrabusNG post=94225822]

But some client will still go ahead and build on the land without considering the huge cost. That was the case with the project we carried out in Akoka.
The client dropped close to 20 tons of rebar (various sizes) just for the foundation of a 4 bed duplex and 2 bedroom flats.

If one carry out physical assessment of this land, one can assume that it’s safe to support even 8 floors but the subsoil investigation report proved otherwise. [/quote

20tonnes for foundation , that's huge.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 3:57pm On Sep 23, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

This was a Boss response.

Both of you handled it like esteemed gentlemen.

Noteworthy!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 4:11pm On Sep 23, 2020
Aforxzy:
20tonnes for foundation , that's huge.

The man just ordered “Obinna, bring 20 tonnes of iron rod.”

If you’ve worked with such clients before, you’ll be able to relate.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Pascal2016: 4:19pm On Sep 23, 2020
abdulwastecx:

The foundation type is good and if properly designed it will carry the building without problem.

This type of foundation is called Isolated pad footings with plinth/ground beams.

Instead of the pad and strip, the strip footings is ommited and the pad is designed to carry the ground floor block walls. In India, China and some western countries this type of foundation is popular.

In most of our building the strip footings that is associated with the isolated or combined pad base only carry the ground floor partitions walls while the upper floors (be it, one, two or multiple floors) are carried by the reinforced pad base but in this type of foundation, the isolated pad base carries all the load from ground floor to roof level.

This type of foundation is better for me since it gives better restructuring rigidity but it lends to more reinforcement, firework and requires more precision.

Finally, I think you have nothing to worry about if the engineers knows his job well.
Thank you somuch
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Pascal2016: 4:29pm On Sep 23, 2020
Badgers14:

This is very unusual for someone to recommend pile foundation around this area..

Did the engineer explain in detail the reason why he chose this type of foundation?

Sometimes some engineers could be overambitious.
According to him, he said instead of doing normal foundation and still chain it at DPC level, that it will be cheaper to dig only the column base 4feet deep and chaining all the connecting beams with 12mm steel reinforcement and then do DPC afterwards.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 4:35pm On Sep 23, 2020
Pascal2016:

According to him, he said instead of doing normal foundation and still chain it at DPC level, that it will be cheaper to dig only the column base 4feet deep and chaining all the connecting beams with 12mm steel reinforcement and then do DPC afterwards.

This is what @abdulwastecx is talking about some few pages back.

abdulwastecx:

Never build a raft foundation like the last two pictures below.

People fail to realise that the slab in a raft is the main component that transfers the load to the soil below.

abdulwastecx:

You see my friend, that type of foundation is called downstand beam-raft foundation but a special kind where the raft is built on stabilized soil.

For that reason, the action of the foundation work where the slab must have a direct contact with the sand fill (which must be compacted properly and CBR test carried out to make sure that the bearing capacity of the soil can safely carry the foundation.

When the void inside the foundation is left unfilled and decked like he did above, then you are not going to have any action and the foundation will fail by settlement.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 4:45pm On Sep 23, 2020
Pascal2016:
I need advice from expert in the house pls.
I want to build a two deck (2 storey) and my Engr said we are going to use the this foundation type I uploaded in this picture.
Pls should I tell him to go on?
I have not seen where people dug foundation for pillars only, chained it and casted DPC and followed up the block formation.
Is this really going to carry the the two storey building?

1. IF THE ONLY REASON HE GAVE YOU IS COST; THIS IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE CONVENTIONAL (Pad and Strip).

2. If you decide to use this, then the building is better made as a FRAMED STRUCTURE... ie you complete the concrete structure (columns, slab and roofing) then come back to block-works and lintels.

GOODLUCK
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 5:11pm On Sep 23, 2020
BrabusNG:

I once shared the story of a client who spent N1m + to conduct geotechnical survey on the land he hadn’t bought.

When the result came out, he said “Thanks. We can’t build here.” I was like you spent that much just to verify a land.

He said “It’s better to be safe than sorry.”#1million naira gone is better than tens of million gone.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 5:20pm On Sep 23, 2020
Aventures:
#1million naira gone is better than tens of million gone.

This is one of the biggest lessons I learnt last decade.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 6:10pm On Sep 23, 2020
abdulwastecx:

This one I'm seeing here is standing well!

I won't blame you. You know you are new here. Just keep quiet.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 6:36pm On Sep 23, 2020
We started these on Monday and finished them today. We experienced some delay because of the rain sha. Follow my thread and see what we can do. Thanks

https://www.nairaland.com/4088969/classy-iron-works/1

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 6:42pm On Sep 23, 2020
freezyprinzy:
yes sir,this quote is after the wood work just roofing sheets and workmanship.

Do you have your floor plan? Ans do you know the height of the king post? That is, height of the roof?

If yes, I should be able to calculate the area for you.

Secondly, you said its aluminium 0.55? Are you using Tower? If its imported aluminium, it is not up to 3,800 psm.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olaleye2real(m): 6:45pm On Sep 23, 2020
Good evening house... We here to serve you better .. For your professional plumbing work ...

Contact number and WhatsApp... 08162811003
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 6:49pm On Sep 23, 2020
michlins:
We started these on Monday and finished them today. We experienced some delay because of the rain sha. Follow my thread and see what we can do. Thanks

https://www.nairaland.com/4088969/classy-iron-works/1

Issokay!

So we still bought the same door 41k in Ibadan 2 days ago.

The guy was like “He’s doing us a huge favour.”
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:02pm On Sep 23, 2020
BrabusNG:

Issokay!

grin grin angry

At 41,000, can his work look this good. Why not take a picture let's compare
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 7:11pm On Sep 23, 2020
michlins:
grin grin angry

At 41,000, can his work look this good. Why not take a picture let's compare

I don’t use usually use that type of door so I don’t keep it in my collection.

If you check thousands of images that I have shared online on various platform (Nairaland, Facebook, Houzz, Nigerian Property Centre, Construction Journal, Skyscrapercity, NextHome websites...), you won’t find one.
So I can’t really tell which is good or bad.

When I use the word “we” it doesn’t really mean I did it anyway. The client picked his order.

Modified

______
If I’d be fair, I think there’s really nothing to justify the huge price difference.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:45pm On Sep 23, 2020
BrabusNG:

I don’t use usually use that type of door so I don’t keep it in my collection.

If you check thousands of images that I have shared online on various platform (Nairaland, Facebook, Houzz, Nigerian Property Centre, Construction Journal, Skyscrapercity, NextHome websites...), you won’t find one.
So I can’t really tell which is good or bad.

When I use the word “we” it doesn’t really mean I did it anyway. The client picked his order.

Modified

______
If I’d be fair, I think there’s really nothing to justify the huge price difference.
actually there's. The cost of living and the processes involved in making the doors. Just because I'm able to start and finish seven in two days (this is without extra hands) doesn't mean everyone else can. Those things are what really happen. Another thing is that the cost of production here is quite very competitive. You told me people are paid on a daily basis instead of what they could do. That attitude doesn't help in increasing competition and fine tuning the skills.

Let's say I asked you to work and you don't do a good job, consider yourself done with. It's that simple. You must be fast and still do good job. Those things are negligible but very much affect the prices

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:35pm On Sep 23, 2020
BrabusNG:

Issokay!

Interesting.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 9:05pm On Sep 23, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Interesting.

Yes! That was the lowest price we got from scores of welder along the Apata - Omi Adio road.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:30pm On Sep 23, 2020
amanikondo:

I won't blame you. You know you are new here. Just keep quiet.

Maybe you are mistaken bro!

Check my profile, I have been here long enough to know.

If you have personal scores to settle with Brabus that is your own problem. Please don't drag me into it.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1639) (1640) (1641) (1642) (1643) (1644) (1645) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.