Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,604 members, 7,851,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:48 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1667) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4478992 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1664) (1665) (1666) (1667) (1668) (1669) (1670) ... (3689) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:34pm On Oct 02, 2020
rotecch77:

Some are parading themselves everywhere as an engr, Builder, QS, architect ... building construction professionals meanwhile they are noting in building construction field. How can the so called barber answer engr purposely omitted dpm when he was asked by the client to introduce such.
It’s better at this stage to do your due diligence again about his professionalism.
who knows may be tomorrow he will will omitted KITCHEN in the building and tell you that some neighbors do have there kitchen at the back of the building separately constructed with bamboo.... I laugh in SWAHILI.
Actually there is way to re-do this (dpm), But the question is can he do it right ?

You wan kill persin with the outside kitchen thingy. smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:42pm On Oct 02, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I got mine from Costco.

I bought some from Walmart, plus many fire extinguishers.
I bought many extra of those things... including those that talks/yell... to avoid I don't hear.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:47pm On Oct 02, 2020
temi4fash:

Can we have the DPM laid and then do another flooring on it
While I get another engr

That is a very good option while you are still at that stage. It will just cost you extra money.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by newamericanhand(m): 4:55pm On Oct 02, 2020
Let's work on a project �

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:02pm On Oct 02, 2020
mufutau55:

I bought many extra of those things... including those that talks/yell... to avoid I don't hear.

Hajji M.

grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:07pm On Oct 02, 2020
mufutau55:

I was thinking same thing o. Naija where we like to drive on the sidewalk sef. smiley

Hajji M.

The Danfo drivers lol
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Swichnerd(m): 5:10pm On Oct 02, 2020
Phylife:

Thanks for your contribution.

The issue here is:
An estate agent came with a promo for plots of land near the proposed permanent site of the Federal University within Lokoja, Kogi State. The offers a mouth-watering to say the least. She said the place is a dry land.

I don't know much about Lokoja apart from what I hear, read and see when on transit.

My question now is, does anyone know that axis very well? How is the place like security-wise, and during rainy season?

The agent also told me that the realtor would be the one to design the plan [hand me a copy] and dig the foundation in order not to derail from the estate plan but I can alter the inner design to my spec. Is this how estates are built?

Your informed opinions please.

CC:
Beframia
Egunmogaji
Rotech77
N3xt
Muyi00
My advice for you is to get legal practitioner (lawyer) to help oversee the offer from the realtor, this would be a legal bond between yourself and the realtor. though most estate usually have its own standard, that is no. of storeys that can be built, set backs. some even go further by specifying the total height reachable.
My advice for you is to get a lawyer to prepare the documents, which will be signed by both parties. Try and make physical visitation to the site, so that you will be able to inspect the site, and the plot to be allocated to you. Also try and reason with the realtor on the plan, so that you will tell him/her what you intend to have in your building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 5:25pm On Oct 02, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Sorry that this happened.

If I were you I will look at other areas where he might have taken a shortcut.

My take is that it is my site, my project. I am only hiring you to lend your professional expertise in getting my dream realized and not to be a decision maker. I can't work with anyone that doesn't understand that.

My mum practically pursued him out of the site..

She was the one that spotted it self...

But we would make amends immediately..

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 5:27pm On Oct 02, 2020
Thank you very much for your advise

We would be adding the DPM and do another flooring on it.

God bless for the insights

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:16pm On Oct 02, 2020
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

I can’t wait to storm America after you guys clean up Covid.

I’ll walk aisle by aisle through the following stores

Harbor Freight
Pep Boys
Auto Zone
Walmart
Home Depot
Lowe’s

I’ll start from Seattle drive down 5 freeway to Los Angeles and stop in stores that are close to the freeway.

Insha Allah.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 6:28pm On Oct 02, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Harbor Freight
Pep Boys
Auto Zone
Walmart
Home Depot
Lowe’s

I’ll start from Seattle drive down 5 freeway to Los Angeles and store in stores that are close to the freeway.

Insha Allah.

I am cooked up in my house for 7 months working from home and gaining weight
I have stayed out of mall now for 7 months
I will not return to mall till January
I have no choice but to visit home Depot or lowe as needed
I try to stay away from people as much as possible
Do your shopping online bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:32pm On Oct 02, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Harbor Freight
Pep Boys
Auto Zone
Walmart
Home Depot
Lowe’s

I’ll start from Seattle drive down 5 freeway to Los Angeles and store in stores that are close to the freeway.

Insha Allah.

Now that "Our Boss" is infected, may be something will motivate him towards clearing COVID.
But those stores listed above are where I patronize too. I dont do Auto DIY anymore, too young for those things, so Auto Zone and PepBoys is only when my Auto mechanic demand for a part. And the household stuffs I buy is just to be shipped home, since I also live in Condominium now.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:37pm On Oct 02, 2020
GoodFaith:

My brother, I dont blame you o. I have been home since March barking orders from my couch. smiley
Most of my purchase are done thru mail-order now, no store shopping. Too young to catch COVID and my "underlying problems", I cannot risk it.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:56pm On Oct 02, 2020
temi4fash:
Thank you very much for your advise

We would be adding the DPM and do another flooring on it.

God bless for the insights

It's quite unfortunate that your engineer did not keep to your instruction when you insisted.

Nevertheless I just want to know what's the height of your DPC to the natural ground or if possible you can post a pix of it........
Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:11pm On Oct 02, 2020
GoodFaith:

I’m a cheap person. I like rummaging thrugh the clearance sections, end caps, returns, etc grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:20pm On Oct 02, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I’m a cheap person. I like rummaging thrugh the clearance sections, end caps, returns, etc grin

I am very cheap too
You have to make smart choices

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:42pm On Oct 02, 2020
mufutau55:

You wan kill persin with the outside kitchen thingy. smiley

Hajji M.

Abii oo some dude with Stone Age advise to the client.
Imagine someone told clients at lekki phase 1 area to use asbestos ceiling or pvc for his house sittings room

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:48pm On Oct 02, 2020
rotecch77:

Imagine someone told clients at lekki phase 1 area to use asbestos ceiling or pvc for his house sittings room

Their meeting must be divine.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by micgray100(m): 7:58pm On Oct 02, 2020
Raheemzee:

Thanks for the advice sire.

So sir, would the ordinary cement be ok to use for plastering or one needs to use a special cement considering the water
wait till it dry season... let the mix be more or cement...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:14pm On Oct 02, 2020
GoodFaith:

I am very cheap too
You have to make smart choices

Exactly. Hence why I’m sitting my butt in safety in Nigeria.

The USA is unhealthy and unsafe currently grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:19pm On Oct 02, 2020
rotecch77:

If you can afford to build in Lekki Phase1, then what is the cost of POP to you... our ppl sef.
May be nah Spiritual advise from the Holy Devine.smiley

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrOkenwa(m): 8:23pm On Oct 02, 2020
lastpage:

Why Rent/Tenancy? Why not a Lease/Lessee? I only do Lease and it is for "certain" period, with option to offer to have another Lease in place, just as the current one expires. It has really served me very well because l have a few buildings that l manage and l dont use Agents, except for the initial process of giving out the Lease, where they bring prospective Lessees.

It is a bit involved and requires a bit of attention to details, a "Tight Agreement" that l drew myself, with a good knowledge of tenancy Laws.BTW, the Law allows you to go into exclusive agreements with a [erson taking your Lease, with regards to the duration, quit terms, etc and it is binding once you both agree to it.
Also, select your occupiers by yourself, dont allow one Agent who is just after his commission, to just "dump a problem occupier" on you, it will be your headache after that! Infact, this is the most important thing a House owner can do, to avoid trouble. It is not everyone that can pay he first payment, tha deserves to live in your house, beware!

I wish l can give you a detailed analysis but time is not on my hand right now.
Your Lease agreement will determine your Peace of mind with those who occupy your premises, so pay attention to it as to what you want to happen (within limits of the law) and get it properly signed and Stamp dutied.
Never do Rent, do a Lease, a Lease certain and be wary of "Agent Lawyers", they love to play both sides while making money off both sides.
I only use Lawyer if l have to go to Court but my Lease agreements are so detailed and legally tight enough to the point that l have never gone to Court to eject a Lessee (occupier) though l also play fair with my occupiers and l go etra mile to make sure they enjoy thier money, with a lavishly furnished Flat and good environment.

Lastpage!

PS: Sorry, l am in a hurry and you can see tha l dont even have time to do my usual color-colorings! shocked angry grin

Thank you for your detailed response Sir.
I am planning to use agent because I won't be on ground to personally manage those apartments myself and I may be having up to 7 apartments to give out before the end of the year. Another reason why I would not like to manage it myself is because of my experience with tenants and as a tenant grin.
I would look at the option of leasing them out as suggested, thank you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrOkenwa(m): 8:24pm On Oct 02, 2020
Badgers14:

Suggestion.

Ask the lawyer or the agent to give you the list of fees to be paid aside from your rent.
Atleast you know where they are coming from.

But typically, landlord takes the rent no doubt. But tenancy agreement - the agent or whoever is overseeing the property takes it ( although some landlords, depending on how big the pot is, ask for a cut).

Then you have caution fee, this is usually kept by the landlord and supposed to be refundable when certain conditions are met.

The agent that brought the tenant do give them a bill- agent fee and the agent keeps that.

2. Usually 10 percent but again you could insist on 5%, it depends.

3. Refer to my first sentence.. ask them upfront what the fees are, you could tell them to reduce it if you find it too high...

Again, these things depends on locations, and it varies.. some places even ask for money for landlords kola grin or another baptized name but the money goes to the landlord.

But I would highly recommend that you ask them for these fees upfront.. and then you see where they are coming from, whats on their mind.. then you can address it.

Good luck!

Thank you for your response Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:54pm On Oct 02, 2020
mufutau55:

If you can afford to build in Lekki Phase1, then what is the cost of POP to you... our ppl sef.
May be nah Spiritual advise from the Holy devine.smiley

Hajji M.

grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:54pm On Oct 02, 2020
mufutau55:

May be nah Spiritual advise from the Holy devine.smiley

Hajji M.

They lack good orientation/exposure toward the work bcs it’s not there real field.
The client will just look at them and say do you think this place looks like ikorodu or mushin abi inside mowe ibafo.
Lolz
I’m not joking o hajii

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Unibenfucker(m): 9:17pm On Oct 02, 2020
newamericanhand:
Let's work on a project �

How much would this cost if I want to do
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:44pm On Oct 02, 2020
lastpage:

Why Rent/Tenancy? Why not a Lease/Lessee? I only do Lease and it is for "certain" period, with option to offer to have another Lease in place, just as the current one expires. It has really served me very well because l have a few buildings that l manage and l dont use Agents, except for the initial process of giving out the Lease, where they bring prospective Lessees.

It is a bit involved and requires a bit of attention to details, a "Tight Agreement" that l drew myself, with a good knowledge of tenancy Laws.BTW, the Law allows you to go into exclusive agreements with a [erson taking your Lease, with regards to the duration, quit terms, etc and it is binding once you both agree to it.
Also, select your occupiers by yourself, dont allow one Agent who is just after his commission, to just "dump a problem occupier" on you, it will be your headache after that! Infact, this is the most important thing a House owner can do, to avoid trouble. It is not everyone that can pay he first payment, tha deserves to live in your house, beware!

I wish l can give you a detailed analysis but time is not on my hand right now.
Your Lease agreement will determine your Peace of mind with those who occupy your premises, so pay attention to it as to what you want to happen (within limits of the law) and get it properly signed and Stamp dutied.
Never do Rent, do a Lease, a Lease certain and be wary of "Agent Lawyers", they love to play both sides while making money off both sides.
I only use Lawyer if l have to go to Court but my Lease agreements are so detailed and legally tight enough to the point that l have never gone to Court to eject a Lessee (occupier) though l also play fair with my occupiers and l go etra mile to make sure they enjoy thier money, with a lavishly furnished Flat and good environment.

Lastpage!

PS: Sorry, l am in a hurry and you can see tha l dont even have time to do my usual color-colorings! shocked angry grin

How did I miss this lecture?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 11:04pm On Oct 02, 2020
bixton:

It's quite unfortunate that your engineer did not keep to your instruction when you insisted.

Nevertheless I just want to know what's the height of your DPC to the natural ground or if possible you can post a pix of it........
Thanks.

OK.. It about 3 couches of blocks of the ground.

I would post the pictures tomorrow.

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rerin: 1:16am On Oct 03, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 4:34am On Oct 03, 2020
MrOkenwa:
Hello Sirs, happy Independence Day.
I have these enquiries regarding renting out a property through an agent/property lawyer.
1) On first rent, which other charge(s) is the landlord entitled to receive, aside from the basic rent? Add utility charges to it
2) On subsequent rents, what percentage would the agent deduct from the basic rent before paying the landlord? Should not be more that 10% at the maximum, usually 7%.
3) How can the landlord curb the agents from charging potential tenants exorbitantly? Let all payments pass through you and into bank account and then you remit what is due to the Agent to him
Can somebody please highlight important points that should be included in a tenancy agreement.

I am not anywhere near my buildings too, l cant even be in the ones in Abuja, let alone Lagos, at the same time but l understand your challenges right now.
But once the "structure and procedure" is properly laid down, you only need to visit the building once in awhile.
I have a building in Ikorodu that l have not visited for almost three years now because l feel stressed anytime l go to that area but the payment is all that matters and l do WhatsApp calls with Lessees, if there is something tha needs my attention.

You can lease the flats out about the same Month so that your activities on that building will occur about the same time (Rent collection, ejection, repairs, Pre-Surrender inspection, etc)
Happy House Ownership Sir.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 4:36am On Oct 03, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

How did I miss this lecture?

Chief, no be so o! I never reach to give lecture, where una dey grin
I just dey try hell the man from my own small experience, l got help from others too.
I come in Peace Sir.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrOkenwa(m): 5:14am On Oct 03, 2020
lastpage:

I am not anywhere near my buildings too, l cant even be in the ones in Abuja, let alone Lagos, at the same time but l understand your challenges right now.
But once the "structure and procedure" is properly laid down, you only need to visit the building once in awhile.
I have a building in Ikorodu that l have not visited for almost three years now because l feel stressed anytime l go to that area but the payment is all that matters and l do WhatsApp calls with Lessees, if there is something tha needs my attention.

You can lease the flats out about the same Month so that your activities on that building will occur about the same time (Rent collection, ejection, repairs, Pre-Surrender inspection, etc)
Happy House Ownership Sir.

Lastpage!
Thank you for honoring my enquiries with your helpful responses. God will continue to honor you Sir.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1664) (1665) (1666) (1667) (1668) (1669) (1670) ... (3689) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: PrinceLat(m), Philipok and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.