Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,197 members, 7,835,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1670) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4444036 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1667) (1668) (1669) (1670) (1671) (1672) (1673) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 12:34pm On Oct 04, 2020
QSFemi:
Wow. Thank you sir for acknowledging my little contributions.

I'll be most honoured to serve you in my professional capacity.

Happy Sunday boss.

I just dey watch you since!
I been think, if this man is this generous to those in need, then he deserves a good Karma.
The thing is when you are doing good/bad and no one says anything, you never know they are observing and storing it in 'memory'.
It is always good to encourage good people and that is the way l see life.

Cheers Sir.

Lastpage!

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 12:40pm On Oct 04, 2020
Good afternoon. Happy Sunday to everyone.
contact me for your roofing woods, woodwork and materials.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 12:45pm On Oct 04, 2020
lastpage:

I just dey watch you since!
I been think, if this man is this generous to those in need, then he deserves a good Karma.
The thing is when you are doing good/bad and no one says anything, you never know they are observing and storing it in 'memory'.
It is always good to encourage good people and that is the way l see life.

Cheers Sir.

Lastpage!
Talking about karma wink

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by aghaibiam(f): 12:53pm On Oct 04, 2020
Good afternoon nairalanders.I started building my house since 2016.I have now reached painting stage but funds are extremely limited.Is it advisable to paint the entire house with emulsion?
The painter suggested satin but I can't fund it.Is it a bad idea to use emulsion?
I want to use finecoat.
Ps: ceiling is pop and all walls are screeded except kitchen and toilets which were tiled.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sinorte: 12:57pm On Oct 04, 2020
lastpage:

Is your Property in a waterlogged environment or adequately dry land?
Is it a rental property or a private family Building?
I am asking because the solutions are different for each of these sotuations
Have you considered using a Bio-Digester type Solution?

Lastpage!

The property is on an adequately dry land and it's a private family buidling.

No, I haven't considered using a bio-digester.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 1:27pm On Oct 04, 2020
lastpage:

One the 11th Month, you should issue the Quit Notice, so that its expiry date coincides with the end-date of the Lease.
For an "Annual Rental", you should issue the Quit notice to end with such date too, six months earlier, as that is the requirement of the Law.

Yes, LEASE are inline with tenancy Laws in Nigeria. It is just a type of tenancy.
It can be fixed or even fixed Certain
. grin

Lastpage!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this ..

Not every lawyer that deals in real estate knows this.

So people be careful when consulting with a lawyer.

One thing to add tho, do you forsee trouble with some tenants or you just want to hit the reset button and be on the safe side?

You could void the current tenancy agreement. Be careful tho, and read your own agreement grin so you don't shoot your self in the foot.. see what terms you could void the agreement. Then draft up a memo something that sort of reconcile that , states the tenancy was voided with mutual consent bla bla bla.... This will be sort of like a letter from the tenant to you. Even though you drafted it, the tenant will write their names on top like they wrote it and sign, you sign plus a witness.

Then, have them sign a lease agreement... but please don't be greedy..make the new lease agreement free, don't go and charge them another 50k grin. Otherwise they will be hesitant, start asking questions etc... might derail your plan or make it tough for you to actualize.

Or easy enough, just change Management company and instruct the new company to use lease agreement that is favorable to both parties, you ( the landlord) especially grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Muyi002(m): 1:37pm On Oct 04, 2020
rotecch77:

Its very simple
Do all the inner plastering and just frame for the sliding windows for now.

Later external plastering and remaining part of the windows I.e glass and net will follow when pepper red again.

Thanks boss. It is actually casement aluminum window.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Muyi002(m): 1:37pm On Oct 04, 2020
soonest:

Pay deposit for window. By God's grace before they finish, money will come

Thanks man
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Muyi002(m): 1:38pm On Oct 04, 2020
megacontrol:
Either way you go is one milestone done and unto the next, however few notes:

- why do you need stone dust for plastering? keep it simple and use plaster sand as per normal and no effizzy sturvs if you're building on budget... that's 40k off.
- how big is the project? that will determine if you can still knock something off the plastering labor without compromising
- note that even if you go for windows options, you'll still need some sand + cement + labor to install and dress it unless you don't plan to install it yet.

If i were you, i'll go for plastering simply because you can squeeze out value from your materials to get the job done (e.g. you can plaster non-critical areas without guage whih will reduce your material consumption) whereas the rates for the windows are fixed since that's a procurement.

Either way you go, that's one checked off.
All the best.

Much love brother.

Will take this to heart.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 04, 2020
And who would believe in this part of the world where heads turn at the entrance of a lady that same could happen to a guy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DankemzI(m): 1:57pm On Oct 04, 2020
I'm about doing a renovation, building shares boundary with canal! I'll need a Structural engineer and someone that specializes in soil test. please send your quotes and contact info to kesudastructures@gmail.com ASAP
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 2:15pm On Oct 04, 2020
aghaibiam:
Good afternoon nairalanders.I started building my house since 2016.I have now reached painting stage but funds are extremely limited.Is it advisable to paint the entire house with emulsion?
The painter suggested satin but I can't fund it.Is it a bad idea to use emulsion?
I want to use finecoat.
Ps: ceiling is pop and all walls are screeded except kitchen and toilets which were tiled.
Emulsion is not ideal on a screeded wall as the coat film is not as light and flat as satin.
It would have also been a waste of money to screed using emulsion because you don't need to screed the wall with emulsion.
You may tell your painter to use the paint like a primer on the screeding by thinning it with water and applying multiple light coat to reduce roller marks and then use matte or satin much later when funds is available.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by micgray100(m): 4:07pm On Oct 04, 2020
DankemzI:
I'm about doing a renovation, building shares boundary with canal! I'll need a Structural engineer and someone that specializes in soil test. please send your quotes and contact info to kesudastructures@gmail.com ASAP
Your location please, and location of the land... I am a certified Structural Engineer...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 04, 2020
Urgent Sale
1000sqm fenced with borehole, excellent location by Nasarawa State University Keffi, suitable for student Hostel investment. call or WhatsApp 08034707706
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abudu2000(m): 6:27pm On Oct 04, 2020
DankemzI:
if you are in lagos you can call my number on my profile. I work in a consultant firm and we are coren certified. Soil test, structural engineering, underpinnings, jacketing, general modeling etc. we are the best for the job sir and we do everything by the book.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 04, 2020
BUYERS BEWARE OF SCAMMER WITH USER NAME - DFAMEGUY11S
Just a general warning to fellow nairalanders to be careful in dealing with OBAJI OSINACHI SAMUEL,STERLING BANK ACCOUNT 0067072221,PHONE NUMBER +2347087953771,got his contact here and paid him to supply 1 water closet,standing shower faucet and sink cabinet,he shipped broken water closet.the sink and cabinet was not what i ordered and his word was i should go glue the broken toilet ,the shower faucet was leaking,he totally ripped me off,i am just here to warn others not to fall for same scam,he knew the water closet was broken because we saw glue around the broken area,not intrested in getting the money back but i would not want another person here to have such bitter experience.

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Oodua25: 6:41pm On Oct 04, 2020
Please can anyone tell me how much bamboo scaffolders usually charge for setting up the bamboo scaffolds round the house. This is in prearation for installation of parapets, roofs, etc.
Also, if there is any bamboo scaffolder in Ibadan area, please drop your contact.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shogbenga: 7:04pm On Oct 04, 2020
lastpage:

For you Sir and some Elders here, anything is "done", on request.

Thanks Sir, to everyone who took their time to read such boring epistle, l myself will hate to be given something that lenghty to read. angry
So, l applaud you for your patience.

I have the hard copy with me but am looking for the Digital copy l kept on a USB stick, so l can edit it by removing personal information like my address and other personal stuffs. I cant make it public without such edit.
Please bear with me, for some time.

Lastpage!
thanks brother

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by multikolour(m): 7:13pm On Oct 04, 2020
boyestic:
Just a general warning to fellow nairalanders to be careful in dealing with OBAJI OSINACHI SAMUEL,STERLING BANK ACCOUNT 0067072221,PHONE NUMBER +2347087953771,got his contact here and paid him to supply 1 water closet,standing shower faucet and sink cabinet,he shipped broken water closet.the sink and cabinet was not what i ordered and his word was i should go glue the broken toilet ,the shower faucet was leaking,he totally ripped me off,i am just here to warn others not to fall for same scam,he knew the water closet was broken because we saw glue around the broken area,not intrested in getting the money back but i would not want another person here to have such bitter experience.
It is sad and we await picture of the broken equipment for the benefit doubt

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shogbenga: 7:15pm On Oct 04, 2020
lastpage:

Rent/Lease Agreements are generally unique to the environment, building or the parties involved but l will in due course, edit my own to remove speicifc, persoanl details, to make it suitable for general usage and share.

Nothing is "automatic" in tenancy matters. It is all about process and procedures, based on the Law.
Afer the 30days/One Month "Quit Notice" has expired (You dont need this One Month 'Quit Notice' in a Lease, except like me, you deliberately put it there because you are a very considerate person), the Lessor/Landlord serves a Seven-Days "Notice of Intention to Retrieve Property".
At the expiration of this Seven days Notice, that is when the Lessor/Landlord applies to the Court, for an Order to Evict Tenant.
Only the Court can grant that Order!
But it is kind of fast-tracked, with a 'Lease', compared to, with a 'Rent'.

Note: You can no longer evict Tenants with the brute use of Force (except ofcourse with correct Juuju grin), as was the case in the pre-Y2000 and the law is actually mor eprotective of the tenant, than the House Owner and a House owner needs to be smart and one step ahead, if you dont want Tenants to make a mockery of you (and most will, if they have the opportunity).

BTW, l am expecting the House Agents, Property Managers and the likes, to contribute to this discussion, since they are regularly and currently dealing with such issues, being their line of Work! Wetin dey happen naa? shocked

The Court will consider first and foremost, your Lease/Rent Agreement between the Tenant and the House Owner.
Reason is that the Court will enforce the terms of such Agreements, because it is a 'valid' Contract.
But where such Agreement does not exists, the Court will apply the Tenancy Laws of the State where the building is.

If all the t's and i's have been crossed and dotted, the Court will issue an Order, asking the Tenant to move out immediately, having exhausted all Legal Notices (30days, 7days) to Quit.
(That is the Law. This is not "Mediation", which is like trying to find an amicable settlement, usually on Rent Increase issues, as the bone of contention).
If the Tenant is owing Rent at this point where an Ejection order has been issued, the Court, on the "aplication and proof" by the Landlord, the will award such amount, termed Mesne Profit, to the Landlord, to cover the period used in the house while prosecuting the Ejection Matter (while the tenant was not paying further rent)
Some tenant errorneously still think that once you issue them a Quit Notice, they dont have to pay Rent and House has become free!
Well, unless the Landlord does not know how to go about it, Tenant is only saving the money for the Landlord and hpefully, tenant will have the Money when the Court orders payment otherwise, the Court Baillif will have to sieze tenant's property and Auction it to recover such amount

"Notice to Quit" Period, if delivered VALIDLY (this is where the trouble usually lies) is ADEQUATE TIME required and adjudged by Law, for the Occupier to look for alternative accomodation.
That is why it is called a "Notice" but if a tenant decides to ignore it, they do so at their own peril.

Also, in a LEASE (not the usual 'Rent' that appears subsisting in tenancy), the occupier already knows, from the signing of the Lease as he moves in, the terms of surrendering the Keys, as per the Lease agreement. That is more than enough time to plan and decide to get alternative accomodation, if that were the real issue.
Thus, such plea for "adequate time to look for alternative accomodation", in the eyes of the Law, "after the facts".
No time is ever adequate for a tenant who does not want to leave and l have seen the Court Bailiff, based on a Court order, throw tenants belongings out on the Street, for this. In the past (Pre- Tenancy laws), tenants are often using this to buy more time and frsutrate the house owner, but not anymore! (People still use it in "Debt" issues and that is understandable, "you cant pay money you dont have". undecided )

Also, "Agreements" is general, when freely entered into, are bound to be enforced at Law, as long as that agreement is not in conflict with general law.
Now, one of the advantages of a Lease comes into play here! Let me illustrate with an example.
A Lease Agreement is svery specific (Just as you can lease a Vehicle from a Company but when the time to return it lapse (as per the Agreement you signed with the Leasing Company) and you dont return it, if the Compnay catches you along Abuja-Kaduna highway, with your family inside that Vehicle, they would be right and within the Law to take possession of their Vehicle............. irrespective of the "sentiments" of leaving you stranded on the highway.
The Law is the Law, an Ass, but blind to emotions and sentiments.

The lease Agreement you both entered into (being voluntary, clear to understanding and acceptable to both parties through their accent of signatures) has SPECIFIED the conditions for surrender of the property, initiated by either the Lessor (House Owner) or the Lessee (Tenant).
All the Court is doing is enforcing such Private Agreement, between two contracting parties, the Court is not in the business of looking at the emotional or sentimental sides of the defaulting Party, sheddng (crocodile) tears and asking for time.
Same way, if a Landlord for example, breaches the law by removing the Roof to the tenant's apartment, the Law will not say he is an aged Pensioner and therefore overlook the punishment he deserves! Jail time straight, if he cannot cough out the fine. grin

I have gone to all these length to illustrate that a Lease is a structured Agreement between the Lessor and the Lessee and once done properly, the Courts will enforce it to the letter.
But l must caution, there are hoops and traps (legal technicalities) in agreements, Notices and the Law in general, a small infraction of the law (for example, if the agreement is not properly signed, not witnessed, not stamped dutied (since June 2020), notice period shorter than specified/allowed, date-mismatch, etc) can invalidate an effort to get rid of the erring occupier, despite following all other procedures, the Curt will throw-away your application, so caution is the word.

I hope this clarifies that aspect.
l also hope our Professional Agents, Property Managers, Estate Lawyers/Managers will share their own experiences here.

Lastpage!
thank you. I appreciate

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by loffers(m): 7:46pm On Oct 04, 2020
boyestic:

Sorry about your experience.
That’s one of the risk associated with this type of online transactions .

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 04, 2020
boyestic:

(Quote) (Report) (Like) (Share)

Thank you bro,Yes i know ,but i sourced for everything on nairaland from the Architech to roofer and Aluminium windows and they all delivered beyond my expectation,the little saving grace for me was i ordered just 1 piece of everything form this scammer to test water ,imagine if i have ordered of 5 toilets seats,5 cabinets and shower and all turned out to be junks.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 8:24pm On Oct 04, 2020
Oodua25:
Please can anyone tell me how much bamboo scaffolders usually charge for setting up the bamboo scaffolds round the house. This is in prearation for installation of parapets, roofs, etc.
Also, if there is any bamboo scaffolder in Ibadan area, please drop your contact.

contact me for both roofing woods, woodwork and it's materials.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:29pm On Oct 04, 2020
multikolour:

It is sad and we await picture of the broken equipment for the benefit doubt

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 8:31pm On Oct 04, 2020
boyestic:

Sorry for the disappointment, the user name sound familiar, we need to hear the second side of the story.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:01pm On Oct 04, 2020
boyestic:
boyestic:

Thank you bro,Yes i know ,but i sourced for everything on nairaland from the Architech to roofer and Aluminium windows and they all delivered beyond my expectation,the little saving grace for me was i ordered just 1 piece of everything form this scammer to test water ,imagine if i have ordered of 5 toilets seats,5 cabinets and shower and all turned out to be junks.

Speechless
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 9:11pm On Oct 04, 2020
[quote author=boyestic post=94610576][/quote] This is too bad o. what some people don't know is that alubarika loju. o le taja erupe ko ma gbowo okuta.
so sorry for the bad experience sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by multikolour(m): 9:12pm On Oct 04, 2020
[quote author=boyestic post=94610576][/quote]this is very unfortunate, just because of little money he will tarnish his image and reputation
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:19pm On Oct 04, 2020
boyestic:

sad stuff but is it possible for the water closet to get broken in transit?

and by the way he should have taken care of this offline...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by loffers(m): 9:20pm On Oct 04, 2020
boyestic:
boyestic:

what was his excuse for sending items that were different in specifications from what you ordered for?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:22pm On Oct 04, 2020
Sorry about what happened. Breakage must be as a result of transportation, this can be settled amicably. We should pls be mindful with use of words. You still hv the privilege to return...

Those items are fragile goods, combine with the distance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 04, 2020
Chekitaut:
Sorry about what happened. Breakage must be as a result of transportation, this can be settled amicably. We should pls be mindful with use of words. You still hv the privilege to return...

Those items are fragile goods, combine with the distance.

It was not as a result of transportation, evidence of glue is on it ,they have tried to glued it and it broke again at the same place it was patched,you can see our chat i pasted,he stated i should go and glue it and never said anything about returns and next time dont tell me how to use words,i am not your child.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1667) (1668) (1669) (1670) (1671) (1672) (1673) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Iriruaga100(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.