Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,198 members, 7,835,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (170) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4444043 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 12:11am On Mar 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Yea, seems that you miscalculated, personally, no neeed to generalize though grin

I'm not only building a 3,500 but just added another 1,400 square feet building.

Seems people are not planning well and doing copy copy grin

Baba EgunMogaji, the Chateau has lived it's purpose. I wanted a place close to my work (Lagos), my hometown (Abeokuta), my wife (Ijebu) and my oldies (Ibadan). So I choose Sagamu and I built what worked for me as an heir.

I didn't leave the Chateau because it was too big or felt very uncomfortable but I need to be close to my business and I can't afford raising my kids away from me. So I sacrificed the Chateau.

When I was in the house last December, I really don't feel like coming back to Lagos. It was really a house that was well planned but I think it's a project that came ahead of its time. It's a community that I built from the scratch (built as in built the road, electrification, drainage, landscaping, acquatic life, and layout) and I left it when everything is coming out. I even went as far as chosing my neighbors cos I ensured my friends bought next to me. So that's planning and not like I bought 2 plots in a place and put a gate. No o!

It may serve its true purpose at a later time but definitely not now.

But to say I'm doing this for my kids and grandkids. Baba, make we leave that one o!
I have someone who did the same and he's asking me how we will convert the house to an hotel. The project is on Nairaland here.

That's the reason why I said I wish we update different projects years after.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:17am On Mar 14, 2016
brabus:

Baba EgunMogaji, the Chateau has lived it's purpose. I wanted a place close to my work (Lagos), my hometown (Abeokuta), my wife (Ijebu) and my oldies (Ibadan). So I choose Sagamu and I built what worked for me as an heir.

I didn't live the Chateau because it was too big or felt very uncomfortable but I need to be close to my business and I can't afford raising my kids away from me. So I sacrificed the Chateau.

When I was in the house last December, I really don't feel like coming back to Lagos. It was really a house that was well planned but I think it's a project that came ahead of its time. It's a community that I built from the scratch (built as in built the road, electrification, drainage, landscaping, acquiring life, and layout) and I left it when everything is coming out. I even went as far as chosen my neighbors cos I ensure my friends bought next to me. So that's planning and not like I bought 2 plots in a place and put a gate. No o!

It may serve its true purpose at a later time but definitely not now.

But to say I'm doing this for my kids and grandkids. Baba, make we leave that one o!
I have someone who did the same and he's asking me how we will convert the house to an hotel. The project is on Nairaland here.

That's the reason why I said I wish we update different projects years after.

You're missing the point.

The issue is your unsound generalization that big houses are not fitting to senior citizens.

That is all.

I know many people over build and are what we call "too much money, not enough brains" here but you shouldn't generalize.

That some one wants to convert to a hotel means nothing to anyone in my inner circle. We build what is necessary.

Do you know that my original build was 7,500 square feet and I cut it down to 3,500?

I am doing my compound for my kids and grandkids.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 12:28am On Mar 14, 2016
I concurr. Already bookmarked this page for future reference.

I'll be shocked if you surprise me baba. grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:49am On Mar 14, 2016
Second mistake, not at all on her to impress or shock any entity grin

Live and let live.

Stop generalizing wildly Sir. You don't actually know it all wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 1:02am On Mar 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Second mistake, not at all on her to impress or shock any entity grin

Live and let live.

Stop generalizing wildly Sir. You don't actually know it all wink

My apologies for over generalization sir.

Meanwhile I'll patiently wait for the next 5 years to say hello to your wonderful kids and grandkids in your vineyard.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:19am On Mar 14, 2016
brabus:

My apologies for over generalization sir.

Meanwhile I'll patiently wait for the next 5 years to say hello to your wonderful kids and grandkids in your vineyard.

Like I said before you won't, that's my private life grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:21am On Mar 14, 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/2982545/5bedroom-duplex-bungalow-twin-2bedrm#43701509

This must have cost a pretty penny back then. I like this.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:13am On Mar 14, 2016
Good morning all.

Brabus
U try with your analysis.
But since the owner has refused to show up here, case don close cos he is only the one that can give us the accurate analysis. And No matter how small it may look, I still prefer my money to show up that way.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 5:30am On Mar 14, 2016
agarawu23:
Good morning all.

Brabus
U try with your analysis.
But since the owner has refused to show up here, case don close cos he is only the one that can give us the accurate analysis. And No matter how small it may look, I still prefer my money to show up that way.

Nice. Good morning from Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 5:35am On Mar 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:
https://www.nairaland.com/2982545/5bedroom-duplex-bungalow-twin-2bedrm#43701509

This must have cost a pretty penny back then. I like this.

This is so cool. This one na eja nla. Big fish.

I do see a lot of this everyday inside Cooperative Villas, Badore - Lagos inhabited by GMs.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 11:45am On Mar 14, 2016
Please, I need a detailed reply.
Now, if you were to design a plan, elevations and 3D for a client, what details of the land & any other info would you require to accurately get the design done?

cc: Abdulwastecx, skimanski, Podosci, ihebrooke, lafolabi et others
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by meyeh: 12:16pm On Mar 14, 2016
good morning my people. please i attached a plan i drew for my proposed double 2bedroom appartments on a 60x75 land. please I would appreciate help with improving on it especially because am finding it difficult to get a proper ventilation pattern mostly for the sitting room.
thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:16pm On Mar 14, 2016
brabus:

This is so cool. This one na eja nla. Big fish.

I do see a lot of this everyday inside Cooperative Villas, Badore - Lagos inhabited by GMs.

Just look at the detailing in the roof and the external ceilings.

Roof fascia should be treated and painted wood when exposed and not of the same "pan" material. I can't really tell the roofing material. It looks like cement based.

"Mogbedi fun roofer yi".
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:19pm On Mar 14, 2016
meyeh:
good morning my people. please i attached a plan i drew for my proposed double 2bedroom appartments on a 60x75 land. please I would appreciate help with improving on it especially because am finding it difficult to get a proper ventilation pattern mostly for the sitting room.
thanks in advance

Put the bedrooms at the corners and place the toilets side by side on the inside.

10X12 for a toilet in a 2 bedroom apartment? Na for inside there dey go dey sleep? grin

Go here for inspirations, ignore the garages (I know yah all have an allergy to garages in Nigeria, but just look at the floorpans to get modern inspirations).

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/search?page=1&search_type=1&footage_min=&footage_max=&beds%5B%5D=2&baths%5B%5D=2&floors%5B%5D=1&n=&footage_min_exp=&footage_max_exp=&width_min=&width_max=60&depth_min=&depth_max=75&plantypes%5B%5D=multiple&floors%5B%5D=1&beds%5B%5D=2&baths%5B%5D=2

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by meyeh: 12:49pm On Mar 14, 2016
thank you Sir. this is very helpful. thanks
EgunMogaji:

Put the bedrooms at the corners and place the toilets side by side on the inside.

10X12 for a toilet in a 2 bedroom apartment? Na for inside there dey go dey sleep? grin

Go here for inspirations, ignore the garages (I know yah all have an allergy to garages in Nigeria, but just look at the floorpans to get modern inspirations).

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/search?page=1&search_type=1&footage_min=&footage_max=&beds%5B%5D=2&baths%5B%5D=2&floors%5B%5D=1&n=&footage_min_exp=&footage_max_exp=&width_min=&width_max=60&depth_min=&depth_max=75&plantypes%5B%5D=multiple&floors%5B%5D=1&beds%5B%5D=2&baths%5B%5D=2

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 2:17pm On Mar 14, 2016
agarawu23:
Brabus,
I just hope the bro will give us break down of the cost cos I want to know where the magic is. Though floor plans may/might be different but the physical structure and the level of both buildings as seen won't make me build that of spyder for 7.3m IF the builder of the second building his the real owner (which I blv he won't manage materials to make profit).

I have built houses (personal, so l wont be unkind to myself) over time and l can tell you 7.3M cannot build that house.

Unless sha, if they cut corners like using poor mix-rations, not using enough standard iron Rods, using those brown stones instead of Granite, using white wood for roofing, which will collapse in future, using cheap roofing material in terms of "gauge", using 50 mould per Bag Blocks grin e.t.c

Other people like Gabbytabby can wade in because l am sure this is someone who has built houses herself.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 14, 2016
meyeh:
thank you Sir. this is very helpful. thanks

You're welcome Sir.

One more thing, one of the toilets must be accessible by guests without going through a bedroom.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 2:43pm On Mar 14, 2016
Let me add flesh to it a bit since l am doing something along that line at the moment

brabus:
@ StevLegend,

Hope this will help. Let me see how much resources was allocated to the following:

1. Foundation - Merged into Materials, less Labour; See Bottom
2. Sand filling - depending on Topography: average 30 x 20tons Laterite/Sand > #900K
3. DPC - Materials included in below except Planks> #450K, Nails> #30K, binding wire> 20K
4. Ground Floor Block Work - 2500; Upper Floor Block Work - 3000 Blocks, Fence + Breakages - 500: Total 6000 Blocks.> #900K
5. Columns, Lintels and Slab (Ground and Upper Floor) - Iron> #1.5 Million, Granite> #800K, Stone Dust> #400K, Cement> #800K
6. Upper Floor Block Work - 3000 Blocks (see above)
7. Parapet - #200K
8. Roofing Woodwork - #250K
9. Roofing Sheet - #900K
10. M & E - Plumbing (#500K); Electricals (#600K)
11. Plastering - #500K
12. Aluminum Windows - #800K
13. Iron Rails - #300K
14. Chambers - #350K
15. Fence - #500K

Total to-date = #10,400,000 ........less Labour!

Leave out labour cost, I'll take it as 10% of the figure you get from the above.

Labour is a major cost for me and l will put it at that 10% estimate = #1,4000,000.

Estimated Total = #11,8000,000.
If we add unforseen/Miscellaneous to it (believe me, l have, and you will spend un-budgeted money) 200K.

TOTAL = 12Million.

This is my conservative estimate. A difference of #4.7 Million, that is over 50% of build cost!

I am doing one that is exactly at this stage at the minute and l am giving you figures from my spend.
Its a personal house so, l did not cheat myself neither did l endanger would-be occupant's life by doing poor-quality build (pipe-borne water, Stone Dust and Granite all through, e.t.c)

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 2:56pm On Mar 14, 2016
FastShipping:

Your mouth sweet die grin grin

I won't mind a small luxury duplex of around 120-140 sq mt as my next project. My spread-out bungalow is being defamed by the same people I'm trying to impress (kids). I never knew kids love 2-storey buildings. I don't care how small it is.

Holla at your boy if you see a piece of land that is not more than a plot and won't cost a fortune. Remember I once said here no land worth 2 Million Naira, whether Banana Island, Maitama, Ikoyi or V.I. If an acre of land cost between $7000- $40,000 in a good U.S suburb with all amenities available, I don't see why any piece of land should cost more than 2 Million naira anywhere in Lagos where there is a slum two miles away from so called luxury areas of the state.

I have learnt never to put these children as "first priority" when l am doing a building!
They have not worked for money and yet want all the best things of life.... and they are selfish too! angry
I told mine, "you'll soon Graduate, make your Money and build what you like"!

But storey buildings are sweet sha....... especially if surrounded by Bungalows! You kind of "look down" into your neighbours compound and can see all they are doing, without even peeping! Not to mention the breeze!

"We'" have a full plot at Alpha beach area, sharing fence with Ocean View and some other estates there! #25Million, not a penny less! We have refused 23Million this January but in no hurry to sell. its fenced round for almost 15 years now. undecided

I have Full plots in Ikorodu (Bayeku area) as well. 3Million each, fenced as well. undecided

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 3:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
brabus:

I live close to my business now in a rented apartment which my baby boy calls "a community" grin grin

The guest chalet of the chateau is inhabited by my kids home lesson teacher and his family who takes care of the massive compound. undecided

Just imagine, the amount of money tied down...... unproductively!
Have you ever considered selling it now...... using the money to build a similar Pad around your "community" where you work and reside most?

brabus:

Now, I see every kobo spent on property as an investment which must bring quick returns.

Time-value of money, you know! undecided undecided

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 3:06pm On Mar 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress OPPRESS people we don’t like." – Edward Norton

So I, EgunMogaji oko Afusat Olobe Iyo, makes sure that what I'm buying is for my own benefit and not for bling bling grin

YMMV.

Fixed.... very true though! grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by podosci(m): 3:58pm On Mar 14, 2016
-A survey drawing (showing the size of the plot, orientation of the land, access roads and other site details) done by a surveyor, would give you all the details you need to properly place your Building in the plot.
-The comprehensive client brief detailing the type of Building, number of rooms, sizes of rooms and other person preference.
-Soil test result ( for the structural engineer) to know the type of foundation
-You need to know the road level and also the water table to accurately specify the level of your DPC( damp proof course)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 4:11pm On Mar 14, 2016
Me see the house and wonder which prof pella magic is at play 7.3milla breakdown please. About 6m is about decking level give or take.

But then we live and learn so me want to learn.

lastpage:

I have built houses (personal, so l wont be unkind to myself) over time and l can tell you 7.3M cannot build that house.

Unless sha, if they cut corners like using poor mix-rations, not using enough standard iron Rods, using those brown stones instead of Granite, using white wood for roofing, which will collapse in future, using cheap roofing material in terms of "gauge", using 50 mould per Bag Blocks grin e.t.c

Other people like Gabbytabby cab wade in because l am sure this is someone who has built houses herself.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by meyeh: 4:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You're welcome Sir.

One more thing, one of the toilets must be accessible by guests without going through a bedroom.

OH! yes that's wise. thanks, let me swap the library then for a third toilet accessible to guests. thanks again for this assistance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:41pm On Mar 14, 2016
meyeh:

OH! yes that's wise. thanks, let me swap the library then for a third toilet accessible to guests. thanks again for this assistance.

You're welcome.

This is part of my build that I enjoyed the most.

Sure an architect will polish it later with structural and must haves but mostly it's interpreted from your idea.

I can walk through my build blindfolded.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:51pm On Mar 14, 2016
gabbytabby:
Me see the house and wonder which prof pella magic is at play 7.3milla breakdown please. About 6m is about decking level give or take.

But then we live and learn so me want to learn.

Confirm.

PS: by the way Madam, una warning don come pass, one kin useless agbarigo direba don collide with my fence.

But it gives me a chance to rework the whole front. Again. grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:58pm On Mar 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:

One of the toilets must be accessible by guests without going through a bedroom.

LOL! smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 5:01pm On Mar 14, 2016
How long can i keep cement in a store without it getting spoilt or caked assuming it does not come in contact with water or moisture.

My reason for asking is that am looking at buying 200bags for storage before the commencement of rains in fullness because the roads to my site will be marshy (potopoto) when the rains kick off and the truck might have challenges passing through.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks all in advance
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 14, 2016
back2sender:
How long can i keep cement in a store without it getting spoilt or caked assuming it does not come in contact with water or moisture.

My reason for asking is that am looking at buying 200bags for storage before the commencement of rains in fullness because the roads to my site will be marshy (potopoto) when the rains kick off and the truck might have challenges passing through.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks all in advance

Good logistical planner.

I'm loading my site with sharp sand and granite this week because of that.

Not sure of cement shelf life.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 6:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
lastpage:

Other people like Gabbytabby cab wade in because l am sure this is someone who has built houses herself.

Lastpage!
you aren't the builder, therefore concluding 7.3m won't build such is unacceptable by me. Everybody has his way of building and I can boldly tell you that what you cant do, others will and you will both get same thing at the end.

I am not a builder or engineer and I don't build.
But I av been having building experience since I was 18. I have worked with a big construction company (Dori construction company owned by Italians).

The tilling contract of DAY WATERMAN COLLEGE in abeokuta was awarded to my Anty which I was working for her then.

IKOYi hotel tilling contract was award to my Anty too with same company [Dori) and I worked there too.

I presently work in a construction company (though not in the building department) but there is no magic they perform that I don't know.

My love for money without thinking about future advantage made me not to learn construction work.

who will ever blv such thing can happen to lekki house that collapsed? Ofcus ppl will blv such houses were built by professionals. Huh? No be so?

Nobody is perfect when it comes to building and that's the FACT

If nobody is above mistake, don't tell me one house will collapse in future and one won't cos they use brown stone instead of granite.

So ppl that can't afford granite won't build house again?.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bugmenot: 7:00pm On Mar 14, 2016

Oga FastShipping

Demand and supply are really what drive property prices. I actually think that properties are more expensive in choice locations in Nigeria (Lagos especially) than they are in the US. One thing that helps drive demand, I believe is the fact that Nigerian properties come with almost zero liability unlike US properties that come with lifetime tax obligations. Also, there is little accountability in Nigeria - you can spend as recklessly as you like without being questioned. People with questionable sources of wealth often take advantage of this sad fact and acquire numerous properties.

FastShipping:

Your mouth sweet die grin grin

I won't mind a small luxury duplex of around 120-140 sq mt as my next project. My spread-out bungalow is being defamed by the same people I'm trying to impress (kids). I never knew kids love 2-storey buildings. I don't care how small it is.

Holla at your boy if you see a piece of land that is not more than a plot and won't cost a fortune. Remember I once said here no land worth 2 Million Naira, whether Banana Island, Maitama, Ikoyi or V.I. If an acre of land cost between $7000- $40,000 in a good U.S suburb with all amenities available, I don't see why any piece of land should cost more than 2 Million naira anywhere in Lagos where there is a slum two miles away from so called luxury areas of the state.

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Iriruaga100(m), AjiBussu(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.