Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,392 members, 7,853,748 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 11:12 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (171) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4486878 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (3690) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 7:12pm On Mar 14, 2016
agarawu23:
you aren't the builder, therefore concluding 7.3m won't build such is unacceptable by me. Everybody has his way of building and I can boldly tell you that what you cant do, others will and you will both get same thing at the end.

I am not a builder or engineer and I don't build.
But I av been having building experience since I was 18. I have worked with a big construction company (Dori construction company owned by Italians).

The tilling contract of DAY WATERMAN COLLEGE in abeokuta was awarded to my Anty which I was working for her then.

IKOYi hotel tilling contract was award to my Anty too with same company [Dori) and I worked there too.

I presently work in a construction company (though not in the building department) but there is no magic they perform that I don't know.

My love for money without thinking about future advantage made me not to learn construction work.

who will ever blv such thing can happen to lekki house that collapsed? Ofcus ppl will blv such houses were built by professionals. Huh? No be so?

Nobody is perfect when it comes to building and that's the FACT

If nobody is above mistake, don't tell me one house will collapse in future and one won't cos they use brown stone instead of granite.

So ppl that can't afford granite won't build house again?.

VERY WRONG! ?And how would you know that...... though l get assist from junior who is a Certified Structural Engineer and it was designed by competent Architect/Engineer.

Now, dont get me wrong! I am not saying anyone cannot do what l cant do........ ofcourse that would be a great lie because l simply cant prove that. I never said so.

But l have given a rough "monetary estimate" to Brabus's breakdown (He is a Builder, and l agree with the steps he puts forward because l have also gone through those steps lately).
All you need do is refute those estimates (like tell me you used 1000 Blocks in your own case, to build the house or x-amount of Cement.)

Nobody is perfect when it comes to building (TRUE) but different people take different levels of unnecessary risk...... and outright "suicidal NEGLIGENCE".
Have you ever wondered why the 3rd Mainland bridge has not collapsed since it was constructed, despite the number of stagnant/mobile vehicles it caters for on a daily basis? In some things, "mistakes" are not allowed!

Do it as it is supposed to be done, especially for Multi-Storey structures..... and you would at least have removed the "human error" part while God will take care of the rest.

But l can tell you that when it comes to building, its like a Computer: Garbage-In..............Garbage-Out.
Its not just about the "Professionals", its also about the Materials used
. undecided undecided

Lastpage!

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:13pm On Mar 14, 2016
From 14th March, 2016
New Price for GRANITE

AJAH and Environs
For Just N250,000 Get 30tons Granite + 30tons Stone Dust
30tons Granite = N160,000(Single Order)
30tons Stone Dust = N100,000(Single Order)

MAINLAND
For Just N235,000 Get 30tons Granite + 30tons Stone Dust
30tons Granite = N150,000(Single Order)
30tons Stone Dust = N95,000(Single Order)

The new price as a result of increase from Quarry around Abeokuta
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 7:23pm On Mar 14, 2016
lastpage:

VERY WRONG! I am the Builder/Engineer/Supervisor...... though l get assist from junior who is a Certified Structural Engineer and it was designed by a competent Engineer.

Now, dont get me wrong! I am not saying anyone cannot do what l cant do........ ofcourse that would be a great lie because l simply cant prove that. I never said so.

But l have given a rough "monetary estimate" to Brabus's breakdown (He is a Builder, and l agree with the steps he puts forward because l have also gone through those steps lately).
All you need do is refute those estimates (like tell me you used 1000 Blocks in your own case, to build the house or x-amount of Cement.)

Nobody is perfect when it comes to building (TRUE) but different people take different levels of unnecessary risk...... and outright "suicidal NEGLIGENCE".
Have you ever wondered why the 3rd Mainland bridge has not collapsed since it was constructed, despite the number of stagnant/mobile vehicles it caters for on a daily basis? In some things, "mistakes" are not allowed!

Do it as it is supposed to be done, especially for Multi-Storey structures..... and you would at least have removed the "human error" part while God will take care of the rest.

But l can tell you that when it comes to building, its like a Computer: Garbage-In..............Garbage-Out.
Its not just about the "Professionals", its also about the Materials used
. undecided undecided

Lastpage!
I said you aren't the builder of that house therefore concluding 7.3m won't get to that level is what I am not accepting.

I am not talking about your own house okay?

Building Disasters can happen to any building even if you 3ripple your materials cos excess materials doesn't guarantee your structure.

Bridges and houses aren't the same.
Our discussion is on building.

I won't talk much since the owner of that house has refused to give us analysis.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Onuokwu: 7:46pm On Mar 14, 2016
back2sender:
How long can i keep cement in a store without it getting spoilt or caked assuming it does not come in contact with water or moisture.

My reason for asking is that am looking at buying 200bags for storage before the commencement of rains in fullness because the roads to my site will be marshy (potopoto) when the rains kick off and the truck might have challenges passing through.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks all in advance

I think its safer to buy when you are ready. Maybe in smaller quantities if your road will be really bad.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 8:26pm On Mar 14, 2016
bugmenot:

Oga FastShipping

Demand and supply are really what drive property prices. I actually think that properties are more expensive in choice locations in Nigeria (Lagos especially) than they are in the US. One thing that helps drive demand, I believe is the fact that Nigerian properties come with almost zero liability unlike US properties that come with lifetime tax obligations. Also, there is little accountability in Nigeria - you can spend as recklessly as you like without being questioned. People with questionable sources of wealth often take advantage of this sad fact and acquire numerous properties.

I don't agree with the notion that demand and supply is the reason for high cost of properties in most part of Lagos. There are tens of thousand properties laying bare for months and years without anyone buying them. So where is the demand for these properties? Greed is the only reason why properties are being listed for unreasonable amount of money in Lagos.

Sometime last year, there was a thread where a guy listed a semi-detached home for 60M Naira without front or backyard and the guy listed 3M Naira or so as service charge. This particular house shouldn't cost more than 20 Million Naira to build. There are thousands of such properties in Lagos and Abuja sitting without anyone to buy them. The cost of properties in Lagos and Abuja are artificial. They don't reflect the true value of those properties.

There was another property posted by a lady at Abule Egba with asking price of 70M. Abule Egba for that matter o grin grin

The property was a two plots of land with an eyesore three bedroom bungalow on it. I took it upon myself to lambast the lady on that particular thread. I look at other posts of this lady and I found that she was begging for someone to help her fix her phone she bough for 8,000 Naira. In fact, the lady was saying in the thread that her daughter asked her to throw away the phone and buy another one but she can't afford to pay for a new phone.

The problem with our people is GREED and nothing else. Everyone is not ready to suffer again after the first deal. We all want to be super rich from our first deal. You don't need to go far. Take a look at the cost of numerous properties listed in nairaland property section.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bugmenot: 9:16pm On Mar 14, 2016

No doubt, greed plays a role and more so when agents are involved. Nevertheless, similar properties in the same general location often sell for similar prices. Exceptions exist when the seller or buyer is ill-informed, seller is desperate to sell, or sometimes greedy. Unfortunately, we don't have the kind of data that zillow exposes, so you can list your property for any amount you wish. Only demand will tell you if it is priced appropriately.

FastShipping:

I don't agree with the notion that demand and supply is the reason for high cost of properties in most part of Lagos. There are tens of thousand properties laying bare for months and years without anyone buying them. So where is the demand for these properties? Greed is the only reason why properties are being listed for unreasonable amount of money in Lagos.

Sometime last year, there was a thread where a guy listed a semi-detached home for 60M Naira without front or backyard and the guy listed 3M Naira or so as service charge. This particular house shouldn't cost more than 20 Million Naira to build. There are thousands of such properties in Lagos and Abuja sitting without anyone to buy them. The cost of properties in Lagos and Abuja are artificial. They don't reflect the true value of those properties.

There was another property posted by a lady at Abule Egba with asking price of 70M. Abule Egba for that matter o grin grin

The property was a two plots of land with an eyesore three bedroom bungalow on it. I took it upon myself to lambast the lady on that particular thread. I look at other posts of this lady and I found that she was begging for someone to help her fix her phone she bough for 8,000 Naira. In fact, the lady was saying in the thread that her daughter asked her to throw away the phone and buy another one but she can't afford to pay for a new phone.

The problem with our people is GREED and nothing else. Everyone is not ready to suffer again after the first deal. We all want to be super rich from our first deal. You don't need to go far. Take a look at the cost of numerous properties listed in nairaland property section.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 9:26pm On Mar 14, 2016
back2sender:
How long can i keep cement in a store without it getting spoilt or caked assuming it does not come in contact with water or moisture.
My reason for asking is that am looking at buying 200bags for storage before the commencement of rains in fullness because the roads to my site will be marshy (potopoto) when the rains kick off and the truck might have challenges passing through.
Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks all in advance
Onuokwu:

I think its safer to buy when you are ready. Maybe in smaller quantities if your road will be really bad.
If for nothing else, to prevent ur workers from getting greedy and stealing ur cement.

BTW cement bags can do 3 months if stored in non aerated areas. They can actually do 6 months or more when stored on raised wooden planks covered with tarpaulin to raise the bags above the floor, with the bags stacked tightly together and not touching any of the walls, and the whole package either tightly covered with nylon or the doors and windows of the shed tightly shut and kept close throughout the storage duration. When using, start with the bags on the bottom cause they will cake first.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 9:30pm On Mar 14, 2016
FastShipping:

Very correct on this, simply greed and nothing else.
On the cost of properties been advertised on nairaland, naa laugh i just dey laugh when i see it . naija People i hail thee
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 9:32pm On Mar 14, 2016
44chux:

If for nothing else, to prevent ur workers from getting greedy and stealing ur cement.

BTW cement bags can do 3 months if stored in non aerated areas. When using, start with the bags on the bottom cause they will cake first.
Thanks Chuxx n Onu for your inputs, i have learnt something from you guys post. Thanks alot
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:32am On Mar 15, 2016
FastShipping:

I do tell people that no responsible man or woman will work and sweat with their balls and later take the money to buy useless properties for 60m ,100m, 150m just because they want to live with high class people.

Those people buying such properties are thieves and fraudsters who have no choice than to tie the money down with such properties.

Who are high class, middle class, low class etc? Are we not human? Yes! I blv those places meant for high class people have their advantage but its all crap cos when u die, they will bury u with the low class ppl you don't want to live with.

I just smh when I see houses with the price tagged on them. Okay! The house is in lekki that's why I will buy a 4 bedroom duplex for 150m? And these expensive houses don't have big compound where u can later build in future and make profit.

I hate crap statement "enjoy your money"
Why should a sane person spend his/her money foolishly?

You have to do calculations before buying properties.
Properties like the one you used for example might not cost up to 20m including land if you build it yourself.

Those developed areas didn't develop over night.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:03am On Mar 15, 2016
agarawu23:
I do tell people that no responsible man or woman will work and sweat with their balls and later take the money to buy useless properties for 60m ,100m, 150m just because they want to live with high class people.

Those people buying such properties are thieves and fraudsters who have no choice than to tie the money down with such properties.

Who are high class, middle class, low class etc? Are we not human? Yes! I blv those places meant for high class people have their advantage but its all crap cos when u die, they will bury u with the low class ppl you don't want to live with.

I just smh when I see houses with the price tagged on them. Okay! The house is in lekki that's why I will buy a 4 bedroom duplex for 150m? And these expensive houses don't have big compound where u can later build in future and make profit.

I hate crap statement "enjoy your money"
Why should a sane person spend his/her money foolishly?

Properties like the one you used for example might not cost up to 20m including land if you build it yourself.

I agree with you Abuleshowo grin

I personally see no value in Lekki. I have a good family friend who has a very nice US spec home there. But lets be frank, the minute you step outside his face you are in a slum. Period. Why would I sink 50m of my hard earned Ijebu man money there?

Give me village life or give me death.

The lots I bought for N500k are now going for N750k within a year. To me this is a safe, sane, reasonable, prudent and sustainable growth.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 6:27am On Mar 15, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I agree with you Abuleshowo grin

I personally see no value in Lekki. I have a good family friend who has a very nice US spec home there. But lets be frank, the minute you step outside his face you are in a slum. Period. Why would I sink 50m of my hard earned Ijebu man money there?

The lots I bought for N500k are now going for N750k within a year. To me this is a safe, sane, reasonable, prudent and sustainable growth.
baba

That's just it.
When I am not drunk, I will use such money to buy houses in Areas where rain can't fall.

I be Ijebu man and I was thought not to spend foolishly. Not even with the money I earn in cold and hot weather.

Call me a broke dude or church mouse it won't change anything grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 6:48am On Mar 15, 2016
brabus:

Baba EgunMogaji, the Chateau has lived it's purpose. I wanted a place close to my work (Lagos), my hometown (Abeokuta), my wife (Ijebu) and my oldies (Ibadan). So I choose Sagamu and I built what worked for me as an heir.

I didn't leave the Chateau because it was too big or felt very uncomfortable but I need to be close to my business and I can't afford raising my kids away from me. So I sacrificed the Chateau.

When I was in the house last December, I really don't feel like coming back to Lagos. It was really a house that was well planned but I think it's a project that came ahead of its time. It's a community that I built from the scratch (built as in built the road, electrification, drainage, landscaping, acquatic life, and layout) and I left it when everything is coming out. I even went as far as chosing my neighbors cos I ensured my friends bought next to me. So that's planning and not like I bought 2 plots in a place and put a gate. No o!

It may serve its true purpose at a later time but definitely not now.

But to say I'm doing this for my kids and grandkids. Baba, make we leave that one o!
I have someone who did the same and he's asking me how we will convert the house to an hotel. The project is on Nairaland here.

That's the reason why I said I wish we update different projects years after.
I wish to hear frm u.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 8:01am On Mar 15, 2016
agarawu23:

Properties like the one you used for example might not cost up to 20m including land if you build it yourself

EgunMogaji:

l cannot but agree with all you guys posted above, those where some of the reasons l sold the unit l had in lekki axis and re-distributed my investment to other parts of lagos, l didnt like the set-up in that lekki axis again, l am glad l listened to my inner voice despite opposition from my family members to leave my lekki property, few of my friends who also have properties there have all put them in the market for sell.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olabamijie(m): 9:07am On Mar 15, 2016
Good morning nairalanders,

I made a post sometimes back, on the need to alter the Interior features of a proposed 3 Bedroom Flat to accommodate a Two Bedroom apartment and a One bedroom apartment without altering all Exterior Features. via this thread;

https://www.nairaland.com/2550211/off-topic-thread-discuss-anything-everything/116#42354903

Am glad to inform you that the redesigning had been done and approved, to the admiration of our client. in the same vain, AJIB SHELTER Constructions has been saddled with the responsibility of constructing/supervising/delivery of the project. Subsequently, I’ll post pictures/expenses and detailed information on the project at each stages via this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/2989582/design-construction-2-bedroom-1#43781891

Kindly follow Olabamijie; feel free to ask questions and make concise comments and recommendations.

Thanks.

Cc. Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 10:38am On Mar 15, 2016
4nobody4every1:
l cannot but agree with all you guys posted above, those where some of the reasons l sold the unit l had in lekki axis and re-distributed my investment to other parts of lagos, l didnt like the set-up in that lekki axis again, l am glad l listened to my inner voice despite opposition from my family members to leave my lekki property, few of my friends who also have properties there have all put them in the market for sell.

You know most of us like flashy things without knowing the real worth. When u see a fine building, it will attract u without knowing the ingredients that cooked it. So you will end up buying 1# item for 10#.

Few months ago when I went home, I visited one of my friend property in satellite town (abule ado Lagos). There was one woman I was told to take keys from her cos the woman's house is beside his house.

I entered the woman's compound and I can hear the woman's voice instructing her craftman to add more sand to the mixed cement used in setting blocks. (She was building additional 10units of room and parlour self contained in her compound.

The bricklayer was telling her in Yoruba (Alhaja cement o dun block yi. (Alhaja was replying him e fi iyepe si plaster ma gbe duro) "Alhaja cement isn't enough in these blocks and Alhaja was telling him to put more sand in the mixture since plastering will hold the blocks"

I am not exaggerating, if you put on an original Air force shoe and kick the block settings, they will fall to the ground cos I can see traces of sand in the block work (already set blocks).

In future, the woman will die (I pray she live long) and her children will put hundreds of million tag on the house.

You will buy such house to make profit but u will end up calling bricklayers every month to come and do patching cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 10:44am On Mar 15, 2016
agarawu23:

You know most of us like flashy things without knowing the real worth. When u see a fine building, it will attract u without knowing the ingredients that cooked it. So you will end up buying 1# item for 10#.

Few months ago when I went home, I visited one of my friend property in satellite town (abule ado Lagos). There was one woman I was told to take keys from her cos the woman's house is beside his house.

I entered the woman's compound and I can hear the woman's voice instructing her craftman to add more sand to the mixed cement used in setting blocks. (She was building additional 10units of room and parlour self contained in her compound.

The bricklayer was telling her in Yoruba (Alhaja cement o dun block yi. (Alhaja was replying him e fi iyepe si plaster ma gbe duro) "Alhaja cement isn't enough in these blocks and Alhaja was telling him to put more sand in the mixture since plastering will hold the blocks"

I am not exaggerating, if you put on an original Air force shoe and kick the block settings, they will fall to the ground cos I can see traces of sand in the block work (already set blocks).

In future, the woman will die (I pray she live long) and her children will put hundreds of million tag on the house.

You will buy such house to make profit but u will end up calling bricklayers every month to come and do patching cheesy
Hahahah, you just made me remember one of my inlaws who also bought a property along that axis, it is around CBN housing estate at ijegun satelliete town, when l visited him, the house he bought was not in a good condition, water was sipping inside the walls , foundation and several rooms in the property and he spent a fortune to buy the building, he was planning to demolish it and rebuild it, l dont know if he has done it now, moral of my story is that they did a dodgy job for him and sold the junk to him for millions of Naira and the area is a freaking water logged area. grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 11:12am On Mar 15, 2016
4nobody4every1:
Hahahah, you just made me remember one of my inlaws who also bought a property along that axis, it is around CBN housing estate at ijegun satelliete town, when l visited him, the house he bought was not in a good condition, water was sipping inside the walls , foundation and several rooms in the property and he spent a fortune to buy the building, he was planning to demolish it and rebuild it, l dont know if he has done it now, moral of my story is that they did a dodgy job for him and sold the junk to him for millions of Naira and the area is a freaking water logged area. grin grin
thank God you know the area I am talking. Satellite town is for high class and middle class people cos houses are expensive there due to its closeness to trade fair and auto parts market.

Why will someone buy houses he won't enjoy with millions of naira when you can build x 4 of the same house in a deloveloped area?

Wise business men don't buy such houses, they build in developed areas where plot of land ranges from 1.5-3m. They will build mansions there and be the big man their neighbors will be worshipping. If you are good to people in your community, spending your cash to bring the community high, they might one day pick u for the post of a chancellor or chairman of your local govt ; Than taking your millions to areas where dey don't know u exist to buy semi collapse houses.

Baba, let's leave talk for another day jare....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 11:21am On Mar 15, 2016
[quote author=agarawu23 post=43787574]thank God you know the area I am talking. Satellite town is for high class and middle class people cos houses are expensive there due to its closeness to trade fair and auto parts market.
Why will someone buy houses he won't enjoy with millions of naira when you can build x 4 of the same house in a deloveloped area?

Wise business men don't buy such houses, they build in developed areas where plot of land ranges from 1.5-3m. They will build mansions there and be the big man their neighbors will be worshipping. If you are good to people in your community, spending your cash to bring the community high, they might one day pick u for the post of a chancellor or chairman of your local govt ; Than taking your millions to areas where dey don't know u exist to buy semi collapse houses.
Baba, let's leave talk for another day jare....[/quote[i]

l know the area very well like the palm of my hands, we have a family house around that area, although, we bought the land l think around late 80's and erected a big family house there before other people started trooping in to buy and build especially igbo guys selling at Aspamda, trade fair and Alaba..zonesgrin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 11:48am On Mar 15, 2016
[quote author=4nobody4every1 post=43787858][/quote]no doubt, you know that area well.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 12:21pm On Mar 15, 2016
agarawu23:
no doubt, you know that area well.
Yes now, my late uncle was living inside Navy town and he was among the senior naval officers who died in the Hercules C-130 plane crash during Babangida regime, we have Mr biggs close to Navy town when entering from Alakija bus stop, but if you are entering ijegun area from Abule Ado, we have tantalizer eateries along old Ojo road then you drive down towards Marwa road, Houses & properties in that vicinity are freaking expensive, they will become more expensive during / after the construction of the Ecowas road and the proposed train services that will connect it to Okoko axis towards Badagry cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 1:32pm On Mar 15, 2016
4nobody4every1:
Yes now, my late uncle was living inside Navy town and he was among the senior naval officers who died in the Hercules C-130 plane crash during Babangida regime, we have Mr biggs close to Navy town when entering from Alakija bus stop, but if you are entering ijegun area from Abule Ado, we have tantalizer eateries, then you drive down towards Marwa road, Houses & properties in that vicinity are freaking expensive, they will become more expensive during / after the construction of the Ecowas road and the proposed train services that will connect it to Okoko axis towards Badagry cool
baba na big man area be that side o

I grew up in that axis (Alaba international market) my step father's property in that area is now hot cake ever since the market was moved to the area. We don't have single tenant living there anymore due to high request of parking store/where house by Igbo guys selling there. My step father (RIP) bit his finger for not buying lots of plot then.

Who can ever think that route will now have 10lane plus train? From Okoko towards badagry is now selling fast due to the development (will u even see land in near places unless u want to buy from the owner who are reselling) and you will tell me the difference btw lekki where rain cant fall and that area in 5-10 years time cheesy.

Plots of land I and my mum bought in araromi area in 2010 for 280k is now millions of naira. Omo onile can't stop perambulating around the land cos the area is fully developed now and our house remained un roofed. Fear of omo onile from selling it made us roofed part of the building last year and put tenant there. This is a property we bought without knowing the future plan.

I know how it feels to live with high class ppl but if I see ilaje ppl and how dey manage to live comfortable in wood houses In Lagos, I do ask myself what makes me better than them.

What Taye likes, kehinde may not like it and that's why our mentality can't be the same.

As u see me so, there is no environment I can't cope with. What do u expect from a guy who wasn't born with a silver robber spoon grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 1:52pm On Mar 15, 2016
agarawu23:
baba na big man area be that side o

[b]I grew up in that axis (Alaba international market) my step father's property in that area is now hot cake ever since the market was moved to the area. We don't have single tenant living there anymore due to high request of parking store/where house by Igbo guys selling there. My step father (RIP) bit his finger for not buying lots of plot then.

Who can ever think that route will now have 10lane plus train? From Okoko towards badagry is now selling fast due to the development (will u even see land in near places unless u want to buy from the owner who are reselling) and you will tell me the difference btw lekki where rain cant fall and that area in 5-10 years time cheesy.

Plots of land I and my mum bought in araromi area in 2010 for 280k is now millions of naira. Omo onile can't stop perambulating around the land cos the area is fully developed now and our house remained un roofed. Fear of omo onile from selling it made us roofed part of the building last year and put tenant there. This is a property we bought without knowing the future plan[/b].

I know how it feels to live with high class ppl but if I see ilaje ppl and how dey manage to live comfortable in wood houses In Lagos, I do ask myself what makes me better than them.

What Taye likes, kehinde may not like it and that's why our mentality can't be the same.

As u see me so, there is no environment I can't cope with. What do u expect from a guy who wasn't born with a silver robber spoon grin
My friend, a retired custom officer bought a 6 plot, fence it round and built a small guest house in one section of the land to secure the property, according to him, he bought it for 100,000 Naira in 1990, as at 4 years ago when l was in Nigeria, l visited him and we drove to the guest house to have a drink he has expanded the guest house, added more rooms with new facilities , he told me so many guys are begging him to sell the same land for millions of Naira but he refused, the land is not too far from French Village Badagry, it is also close to Winners Chapel( Badagry) and close to the Badagry express way, he said a bush today is likely to be a city tomorrow..... cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 2:26pm On Mar 15, 2016
4nobody4every1:
My friend, a retired custom officer bought a 6 plot, fence it round and built a small guest house in one section of the land to secure the property, according to him, he bought it for 100,000 Naira in 1990, as at 4 years ago when l was in Nigeria, l visited him and we drove to the guest house to have a drink he has expanded the guest house, added more rooms with new facilities , he told me so many guys are begging him to sell the same land for millions of Naira but he refused, the land is not too far from French Village Badagry, it is also close to Winners Chapel( Badagry) and close to the Badagry express way, he said a bush today is likely to be a city tomorrow..... cool[/i]
that's the fact. Yoruba's will say "oro po ni iwe kobo" make we just dey observe make some ppl carry millions to one high class area to buy houses that dont worth it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by loomer: 2:29pm On Mar 15, 2016
agarawu23:
baba

That's just it.
When I am not drunk, I will use such money to buy houses in Areas where rain can't fall.

I be Ijebu man and I was thought not to spend foolishly. Not even with the money I earn in cold and hot weather.

Call me a broke dude or church mouse it won't change anything grin

Baba ijebu.

If you wan invest in houses, just get for university area and watch how ur money go dey grow like flower

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 2:38pm On Mar 15, 2016
loomer:

Baba ijebu.

If you wan invest in houses, just get for university area and watch how ur money go dey grow like flower
its a good business but have it in mind that students don't pay much and you have to build it to their taste.

Dramas too much for hostels.
Do u know why I can't be a doctor?
That's because I too dey pity person and I might go bankrupt.

Student wey b say dem sabi beg die if they are yet to pay u. I once live In a hostel so I know their way grin

Its a good investment tho.....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 2:40pm On Mar 15, 2016
agarawu23:
its a good business but have it in mind that students don't pay much and you have to build it to their taste.

Student wey b say dem sabi beg die if they are yet to pay u. I once live In a hostel so I know their way grin

grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by loomer: 10:34pm On Mar 15, 2016
agarawu23:

Na u wan dey collect rent? You go give agency or law firm to dey do that work na. Na make alert just dey enter ur fone concern u

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 11:55pm On Mar 15, 2016
CC: Brabus, Mufutau55, laspage, Spyder880, abdulwastecx, gabbytabby

How una dey my people?

I want to be fair to the guy in charge of my house.

The quote he gave for the work on my house changed four days into the construction after we agreed on set amount. To be fair to him he was right that the work was a little bit higher than he thought. I knew this because people testified that more materials needed for the fence. From my recollection, he went to the site between 4-5 times before he gave the quotation but he claimed he only went twice.

Since we have agreed on set amount, I did not expect to start negotiating with him again in just four days into the work proper after I paid 1 million naira to mobilize workers to the site. So I asked him to continue his work that he should impress me and base on that, I am willing to give him extra bonus on performance basis.

In fairness, we bought extra materials that cost more than 1.5 Million Naira for the project. From your judgment, how much do you think is appropriate to give to this guy on a project that we bought extra materials of over 1.5 Million Naira? The only place we had extra work was on the fence only.

He also claimed the dollar exchange rate affected the cost of materials he bought to do the M&E. I am also willing to work with him on the exchange rate. I lost money several times on this exchange rate but I never went back to my clients to give me more money. I never even thought about saying such things to my own clients.

I want to be fair to the guy because I don't want him to feel cheated. I have set amount to pay him as bonus but I don't want to overpay him or under pay him for the extra effort on materials of 1.5 Million+ bought for the fence alone.

So ladies and gentlemen of property section, how much do you think is good enough to compensate this guy base on 1.5 Million extra materials bought for the fence only.

I look forward to your inputs.

Regards.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 10:13am On Mar 16, 2016
FastShipping:

How una dey my people?

The quote he gave for the work on my house changed four days into the construction after we agreed on set amount. To be fair to him he was right that the work was a little bit higher than he thought. I knew this because people testified that more materials needed for the fence. From my recollection, he went to the site between 4-5 times before he gave the quotation but he claimed he only went twice.

Since we have agreed on set amount, I did not expect to start negotiating with him again in just four days into the work proper after I paid 1 million naira to mobilize workers to the site. So I asked him to continue his work that he should impress me and base on that, I am willing to give him extra bonus on performance basis.

In fairness, we bought extra materials that cost more than 1.5 Million Naira for the project. From your judgment, how much do you think is appropriate to give to this guy on a project that we bought extra materials of over 1.5 Million Naira? The only place we had extra work was on the fence only.

He also claimed the dollar exchange rate affected the cost of materials he bought to do the M&E. I am also willing to work with him on the exchange rate. I lost money several times on this exchange rate but I never went back to my clients to give me more money. I never even thought about saying such things to my own clients.

I want to be fair to the guy because I don't want him to feel cheated. I have set amount to pay him as bonus but I don't want to overpay him or under pay him for the extra effort on materials of 1.5 Million+ bought for the fence alone.

So ladies and gentlemen of property section, how much do you think is good enough to compensate this guy base on 1.5 Million extra materials bought for the fence only.

Regards.

For such things for me, i normally tell the person to give me a figure and then i will see if i can afford that or if the effort is worth what he is saying.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:19am On Mar 16, 2016
FastShipping:

How una dey my people?

Regards.

You can ask him how much he want for the extra job... And if he did a good job u can give something reasonable.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 10:25am On Mar 16, 2016
A variation of about 10-15.percent of what was agreed could be allowed
FastShipping:

How una dey my people?

Regards.

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (3690) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: RockOfAgesAlumi(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.