Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,447 members, 7,853,950 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 08:26 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (172) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4487502 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (3690) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:10am On Mar 16, 2016
I just saw this on Sahara reporters grin

There will be scape-goats but Lekki Gardens will not go down.. I'm sure more powerful men are behind it.

Another point of view is this.. Lekki Gardens or any other construction site should not allow workers sleep inside uncompleted structures. Provide temporary shelters for your workers.. In fact, people shouldn't sleep in any construction sites ideally. Anything can cause a failure at any time.

Now, Richard and the contractor may be tried for manslaughter due to negligence.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:48am On Mar 16, 2016
KolaShangOne:
I just saw this on Sahara reporters grin

There will be scape-goats but Lekki Gardens will not go down.. I'm sure more powerful men are behind it.

Another point of view is this.. Lekki Gardens or any other construction site should not allow workers sleep inside uncompleted structures. Provide temporary shelters for your workers.. In fact, people shouldn't sleep in any construction sites ideally. Anything can cause a failure at any time.

Now, Richard and the contractor may be tried for manslaughter due to negligence.

1) A certificate of occupancy is required here before any new structure can be occupied. It is strictly enforced and a city inspector has to visit, validate and personally affix his stamp and signature before the house can be occupied. In the case of mishap that city has now joined in the defendant pool of a lawsuit. In the event of a mishap and city hasn't certified the building as habitable they are still label for allowing it to be occupied - Welcome to America grin

2) I're been reading this rumor that Richard is just a front man and that big men are behind his finances. It will make sense though based on a few videos I have seen in the past.

++++++++++++++

"Certificate of occupancy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (August 2013)

A certificate of occupancy
A certificate of occupancy is a document issued by a local government agency or building department certifying a building's compliance with applicable building codes and other laws, and indicating it to be in a condition suitable for occupancy.[1]

The procedure and requirements for the certificate vary widely from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and on the type of structure. In the United States, obtaining a certificate is generally required whenever:

a new building is constructed
a building built for one use is to be used for another (e.g., an industrial building converted for residential use)
occupancy of a commercial or industrial building changes, or ownership of a commercial, industrial, or multiple-family residential building changes
The purpose of obtaining a certificate of occupancy is to prove that, according to the law, the house or building is in liveable condition. Generally, such a certificate is necessary to be able to occupy the structure for everyday use, as well as to be able to sign a contract to sell the space and close on a mortgage for the space.

A certificate of occupancy is evidence that the building complies substantially with the plans and specifications that have been submitted to, and approved by, the local authority. It complements a building permit—a document that must be filed by the applicant with the local authority before construction to indicate that the proposed construction will adhere to ordinances, codes, and laws."

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by esoorita: 3:20pm On Mar 16, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I agree with you Abuleshowo grin

I personally see no value in Lekki. I have a good family friend who has a very nice US spec home there. But lets be frank, the minute you step outside his face you are in a slum. Period. Why would I sink 50m of my hard earned Ijebu man money there?

Give me village life or give me death.

The lots I bought for N500k are now going for N750k within a year. To me this is a safe, sane, reasonable, prudent and sustainable growth.

One man's food is another man's poison. The cost of land in any medium/highbrow neighbourhood all over the world is always on the high side and as such Lekki, V.I, Ikoyi, Ikeja Gra, Magodo etc is not exceptional. I personally don't fancy living in a neighbourhood that has no proper layout where one individual will just decide to build on a space that is earmarked for a proposed road. I'm also allergic to dealing with Omo-onile so the only available option as far as I'm concerned is to build in a well managed estate and that is the route I chose. Living outside Nigeria makes the security of my house and it's contents non-negotiable. I'm contented with paying service charge to the Estate management for the provision of security, lighting of the roads in the estate whenever there's power failure from PCHN and cleaning of the estate.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 3:41pm On Mar 16, 2016
esoorita:

One man's food is another man's poison. The cost of land in any medium/highbrow neighbourhood all over the world is always on the high side and as such Lekki, V.I, Ikoyi, Ikeja Gra, Magodo etc is not exceptional. I personally don't fancy living in a neighbourhood that has no proper layout where one individual will just decide to build on a space that is earmarked for a proposed road. I'm also allergic to dealing with Omo-onile so the only available option as far as I'm concerned is to build in a well managed estate and that is the route I chose. Living outside Nigeria makes the security of my house and it's contents non-negotiable. I'm contented with paying service charge to the Estate management for the provision of security, lighting of the roads in the estate whenever there's power failure from PCHN and cleaning of the estate.
Correct!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 6:13pm On Mar 16, 2016
I have been hearing integrity test, integrity test. How is it carried out on building. Engineers in the house please explain to novice like us in the house. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:37pm On Mar 16, 2016
back2sender:
I have been hearing integrity test, integrity test. How is it carried out on building. Engineers in the house please explain to novice like us in the house. Thanks

@Brabus BrabusNG did a post where he showed a chap that came from an agency to test one of his builds.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 7:43pm On Mar 16, 2016
EgunMogaji:

@Brabus BrabusNG did a post where he showed a chap that came from an agency to test one of his builds.
oga that one na Lagos state materials testing .They do carried out NDT or material testing on building generally

------
Up is referring to integrity test which is carried out on Pilling foundation
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 7:48pm On Mar 16, 2016
EgunMogaji:

oga that what Brabus does na Lagos state materials testing .They do carried out NDT or material testing on building generally

------

-That was NDT test on building and integrity test on Pilling respectively

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NairaBaba: 8:00pm On Mar 16, 2016
Good evening borehole experts in the house,
I will like to know how much it cost to rent out drilling pipes ( say 15 pieces ), tank and pump for manual borehole drilling around lagos mainland and Ogun state. Most borehole in these areas are between 150ft to 200ft usually take 2 to3 day to drill.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 16, 2016
segcymoor:

oga that one na Lagos state materials testing .They do carried out NDT or material testing on building generally

------

Duly noted.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:05am On Mar 17, 2016
FastShipping:
CC: Brabus, Mufutau55, laspage, Spyder880, abdulwastecx, gabbytabby

How una dey my people?

I want to be fair to the guy in charge of my house.

The quote he gave for the work on my house changed four days into the construction after we agreed on set amount. To be fair to him he was right that the work was a little bit higher than he thought. I knew this because people testified that more materials needed for the fence. From my recollection, he went to the site between 4-5 times before he gave the quotation but he claimed he only went twice.

Since we have agreed on set amount, I did not expect to start negotiating with him again in just four days into the work proper after I paid 1 million naira to mobilize workers to the site. So I asked him to continue his work that he should impress me and base on that, I am willing to give him extra bonus on performance basis.

In fairness, we bought extra materials that cost more than 1.5 Million Naira for the project. From your judgment, how much do you think is appropriate to give to this guy on a project that we bought extra materials of over 1.5 Million Naira? The only place we had extra work was on the fence only.

He also claimed the dollar exchange rate affected the cost of materials he bought to do the M&E. I am also willing to work with him on the exchange rate. I lost money several times on this exchange rate but I never went back to my clients to give me more money. I never even thought about saying such things to my own clients.

I want to be fair to the guy because I don't want him to feel cheated. I have set amount to pay him as bonus but I don't want to overpay him or under pay him for the extra effort on materials of 1.5 Million+ bought for the fence alone.

So ladies and gentlemen of property section, how much do you think is good enough to compensate this guy base on 1.5 Million extra materials bought for the fence only.

I look forward to your inputs.

Regards.

It has not been easy for us work men in the face of rising costs, especially for agreed contracts. A aviation of 20% maximum could be allowed if he seems honest about it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 2:13pm On Mar 17, 2016
spyder880:

It has not been easy for us work men in the face of rising costs, especially for agreed contracts. A aviation of 20% maximum could be allowed if he seems honest about it.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:29pm On Mar 17, 2016
@egunmogaji Most middle class and poor people, in fact almost everybody in Nigeria only process Cerificate of Occupancy when we're trying to borrow money from the bank. It's not our fault but it takes a lot of money to process it..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:34pm On Mar 17, 2016
KolaShangOne:
@egunmogaji Most middle class and poor people, in fact almost everybody in Nigeria only process Cerificate of Occupancy when we're trying to borrow money from the bank. It's not our fault but it takes a lot of money to process it..

Oh I'm not apportioning blame at all, it is what it is.

I don't have and might never have one on my personal residence but most certainly will have one for a commercial rented out residence because of liability.

The whole system needs to be revamped. One shouldn't "struggle grin " to build a house and then be sideswiped by government agency. Government should be there to assist citizens and not to waylay them and stifle them.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:30pm On Mar 17, 2016
I want to share this small security house with my oga here..
The challenge was to build a small security house that is decked and still have something befitting for entrance of house.
I want something beautiful and affordable at theaame time, so I came up with this.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:33pm On Mar 17, 2016
More

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jossy26: 6:34pm On Mar 17, 2016
Hello house can the gurus help review/analyse this quotation by my engineer for a raft foundation plus German floor for a 5bedroom duplex. Thanks

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 17, 2016
abdulwastecx:
I want to share this small security house with my oga here..
The challenge was to build a small security house that is decked and still have something befitting for entrance of house.
I want something beautiful and affordable at theaame time, so I came up with this.

Although I see you used the word affordable but I'm wondering why the window are so small for a security box. Are you aiming to use CCTV to see the compound and not line of sight?

Just out of curiosity. As a structure of course it's beautiful as is all your work.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 6:48pm On Mar 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I don't have and might never have one on my personal residence but most certainly will have one for a commercial rented out residence because of liability.

The whole system needs to be revamped. One shouldn't "struggle grin " to build a house and then be sideswiped by government agency. Government should be there to assist citizens and not to waylay them and stifle them.
Spot on cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:50pm On Mar 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Although I see you used the word affordable but I'm wondering why the window are so small for a security box. Are you aiming to use CCTV to see the compound and not line of sight?

Just out of curiosity. As a structure of course it's beautiful as is all your work.

Thanks you sir. The Windows are big enough for the security house.
Main house Windows are 750mm x 1500mm.
Toilet window = 600mm x 1500mm.

The main room have two windows for cross ventilation and Windows need to be in alignment to the main house with Windows which are 750mm x 1500mm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:51pm On Mar 17, 2016
jossy26:
Hello house can the gurus help review/analyse this quotation by my engineer for a raft foundation plus German floor for a 5bedroom duplex. Thanks

Without the structural drawing we can't really tell from they are OK. But it looks reasonable to me considering it also includes the German Floor
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 17, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Thanks you sir. The Windows are big enough for the security house.
Main house Windows are 750mm x 1500mm.
Toilet window = 600mm x 900mm.

The main room have two windows for cross ventilation and Windows need to be in alignment to the main house with Windows which are 750mm x 1500mm

Okiedokie...maybe it's a Naija thing that I have to get used to.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jossy26: 7:01pm On Mar 17, 2016
^^ thanks so muchsir, I appreciate your response, will post the structural as soon as I get hold of it. How about the labour isn't that too much?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:03pm On Mar 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Okiedokie...maybe it's a Naija thing that I have to get used to.

Lol

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:10pm On Mar 17, 2016
jossy26:
^^ thanks so muchsir, I appreciate your response, will post the structural as soon as I get hold of it. How about the labour isn't that too much?

The labour which we include
1. Site clearance
2. Setting out
3. Formwork (carpentry)
4. Iron bending work
5.concreting work
6. Filling and compaction work
7.alot of logistics etc.

After I see the structural drawing sir but it seems OK
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:26pm On Mar 17, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Lol

I'm having to design something similar for my open courtyard.

It will totally ruin the view I am looking for though but na to prevent stories that touch grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jossy26: 7:28pm On Mar 17, 2016
Ok sir thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 7:45pm On Mar 17, 2016
jossy26:
Unless otherwise necessary or better still non economic use of space the sqm for 5 bedroom duplex should not be more than 200sqm
this terrace building is 4 unit and 4m plus was used for the foundation (300sqm

Think about that!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jossy26: 8:15pm On Mar 17, 2016
Thanks for your response sir, but the terrace building highlighted is it a raft foundation? Cos if 4m is used for this I expect a 5bedroom duplex to be lower
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by esoorita: 9:03pm On Mar 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

This is the problem with Nigeria. Nigerian governments i.e Federal and States believes they are at liberty to bombard their citizens with astronomical charges on everything required from government agencies but the same governments are less interested in carrying out their responsibilities of providing infrastructures that are necessary to make life easy for the people they govern. This is the reason why an average Nigerian believes that paying all the necessary taxes is not a sacred duty but optional. The officials of EKDC tried to swindle me by charging me 40,000 Naira for two months electricity supply in a country where you couldn't enjoy uninterrupted supply of electricity for a day. They deliberately refused to install my meter so that they could continue to rip me off with their estimated bills which defies logic but provides a good undeserved revenue source for them.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:31pm On Mar 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

yes sir grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 11:54pm On Mar 17, 2016
FastShipping:

I don't agree with the notion that demand and supply is the reason for high cost of properties in most part of Lagos. There are tens of thousand properties laying bare for months and years without anyone buying them. So where is the demand for these properties? Greed is the only reason why properties are being listed for unreasonable amount of money in Lagos..............

Economics makes us understand that "goods are bought ONLY when there is an Equilibrum".

There is Demand1
There is Supply!!
There is also PRICE!!!

Deman is considered "effective" when you have the MONEY to by what you want.

I am sure if those houses you said are "lying empty for Months", are given out at One Million Naira, over One million people will try to get one! grin grin

So, its not a question of "There is NO DEMAND" ..... its a matter of AFFORDABILITY!

The houses are empty because a lot of people cant afford them...... and it will remain so until someone with the cash, who also likes it, come along.

Its always like that for certain goods which fall under the category of "choice/ostentatious" goods.
Ofcourse, there are "face-me, l-face-you" all over the place that cater to other classes of people who are not after such ostentation.

Its not by force that someone must buy or build an expensive building.... or even build at all!
Just rent, if you cannot build or...
....Just build "small", if your money isn't enough for a storey building.

Lastpage!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (3690) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: PrimeQuay and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.