Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,121 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:25 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (173) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4501160 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) ... (3694) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:09am On Mar 18, 2016
lastpage:

Economics makes us understand that "goods are bought ONLY when there is an Equilibrum".

There is Demand1
There is Supply!!
There is also PRICE!!!

Deman is considered "effective" when you have the MONEY to by what you want.

I am sure if those houses you said are "lying empty for Months", are given out at One Million Naira, over One million people will try to get one! grin grin

So, its not a question of "There is NO DEMAND" ..... its a matter of AFFORDABILITY!

The houses are empty because a lot of people cant afford them...... and it will remain so until someone with the cash, who also likes it, come along.

Its always like that for certain goods which fall under the category of "choice/ostentatious" goods.
Ofcourse, there are "face-me, l-face-you" all over the place that cater to other classes of people who are not after such ostentation.

Its not by force that someone must buy or build an expensive building.... or even build at all!
Just rent, if you cannot build or...
....Just build "small", if your money isn't enough for a storey building.

Lastpage!

Just means that those expensive buildings are built with stolen money. No businessperson will invest heavily in an asset and then watch it start to depreciate without generating income.

It is a complete and uniquely Nigerian abberation

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:15am On Mar 18, 2016
esoorita:

This is the problem with Nigeria. Nigerian governments i.e Federal and States believes they are at liberty to bombard their citizens with astronomical charges on everything required from government agencies but the same governments are less interested in carrying out their responsibilities of providing infrastructures that are necessary to make life easy for the people they govern. This is the reason why an average Nigerian believes that paying all the necessary taxes is not a sacred duty but optional. The officials of EKDC tried to swindle me by charging me 40,000 Naira for two months electricity supply in a country where you couldn't enjoy uninterrupted supply of electricity for a day. They deliberately refused to install my meter so that they could continue to rip me off with their estimated bills which defies logic but provides a good undeserved revenue source for them.

You may be able to resolve your issue with ekdc by calling the customer service numbers on their webpage.

I live in festac and had a variant of this same issue. They were giving me the usual story, not in Stock etc etc. Once I called customer service, the same festac storytellers came to install the 'stocked out' meterso.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 12:19am On Mar 18, 2016
FastShipping:
CC: Brabus, Mufutau55, laspage, Spyder880, abdulwastecx, gabbytabby

How una dey my people?

I want to be fair to the guy in charge of my house.

The quote he gave for the work on my house changed four days into the construction after we agreed on set amount. To be fair to him he was right that the work was a little bit higher than he thought. I knew this because people testified that more materials needed for the fence. From my recollection, he went to the site between 4-5 times before he gave the quotation but he claimed he only went twice.

Since we have agreed on set amount, I did not expect to start negotiating with him again in just four days into the work proper after I paid 1 million naira to mobilize workers to the site. So I asked him to continue his work that he should impress me and base on that, I am willing to give him extra bonus on performance basis.

In fairness, we bought extra materials that cost more than 1.5 Million Naira for the project. From your judgment, how much do you think is appropriate to give to this guy on a project that we bought extra materials of over 1.5 Million Naira? The only place we had extra work was on the fence only.

He also claimed the dollar exchange rate affected the cost of materials he bought to do the M&E. I am also willing to work with him on the exchange rate. I lost money several times on this exchange rate but I never went back to my clients to give me more money. I never even thought about saying such things to my own clients.

I want to be fair to the guy because I don't want him to feel cheated. I have set amount to pay him as bonus but I don't want to overpay him or under pay him for the extra effort on materials of 1.5 Million+ bought for the fence alone.

So ladies and gentlemen of property section, how much do you think is good enough to compensate this guy base on 1.5 Million extra materials bought for the fence only.

I look forward to your inputs.

Regards.

If he IMPRESSED you as set out earlier, pay him whatever you had in mind back then

PLUS...
10% is ALWAYS a good measure of LABOUR on Materials.
pay him 150K for the extra work you said he did.

So, my suggestion.... and that is what it is, is that you pay him "150K + K"
"K" being what you had in mind earlier.

I like people who like to be fair to others while at the same time, they dont want to be wasteful.
Shows you have the fear of God in you.

BTW: My wife always say "it seems you have a soft-spot for this your welder" ...... when l randomly dash him money and any "excess materials l dont need! shocked shocked

but in truth, he is an embodiment of all l want from "an artisan" (honest, hard-working, never complains and intelligent); why wont l have a soft-spot for him?
undecided undecided

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 12:23am On Mar 18, 2016
oyb:

Just means that those expensive buildings are built with stolen money. No businessperson will invest heavily in an asset and then watch it start to depreciate without generating income.

It is a complete and uniquely Nigerian abberation

You may be right though but at times, you just have the hunch that you dont need to be in a "hurry to sell" ..... if you want to sell at the right price! undecided grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 12:25am On Mar 18, 2016
KolaShangOne:
I just saw this on Sahara reporters grin

There will be scape-goats but Lekki Gardens will not go down.. I'm sure more powerful men are behind it.

Another point of view is this.. Lekki Gardens or any other construction site should not allow workers sleep inside uncompleted structures. Provide temporary shelters for your workers.. In fact, people shouldn't sleep in any construction sites ideally. Anything can cause a failure at any time.

Now, Richard and the contractor may be tried for manslaughter due to negligence.

Very correct Sir!

Finish and Go, Lock up the place and take the key away or give it to a site Security man.
Open again at 8am the next day.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 12:44am On Mar 18, 2016
jossy26:
Hello house can the gurus help review/analyse this quotation by my engineer for a raft foundation plus German floor for a 5bedroom duplex. Thanks

There are few "excesses there" that seems obvious.
But the floor plan will help us to be even more accurate. It will help us know the size of the foot-print since all the bedrooms are not going to be on the ground floor (which is the only info you gave)

1.) Wood: You dont need 400 planks: Let us assume it is going to be 4ft raft (assumption), estimate for 300 @900 each
1 x 12, buy 200 pieces @250 each

2.) Instead of Sand, buy Stone Dust at 30tons x 2.5 (75Tons) @90 each = 225K

3.) Cement 350 Units, quoted price is okay

4.) Filling Sand depends on how high your raft will be. if not more than four planks, but 20Trips of 20tons (Laterite is about 27K/20Tons)

5.) Full Binding wire and Nail is #5,000 each ...(x 4) = #20,000

6.) Tanks and Water costs 98,000 in your quote.
Add 40,000 to it and get them to dig you a bore hole on site
. You will thank me later!

(BTW: He will still come back to tell you to bring more money for water as the building goes up!)

7.) Labour should be around 10% - 12% (at most), of materials in use

If it is "me", the above is what l will do/be paying but you are your own man. undecided

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:30am On Mar 18, 2016
lastpage:

But the floor plan will help us to be even more accurate. It will help us know the size of the foot-print since all the bedrooms are not going to be on the ground floor (which is the only info you gave)

1.) Wood: You dont need 400 planks: Let us assume it is going to be 4ft raft (assumption), estimate for 300 @900 each

4.) Filling Sand depends on how high your raft will be. if not more than four planks, but 20Trips of 20tons (Laterite is about 27K/20Tons)

(BTW: He will still come back to tell you to bring more money for water as the building goes up!)

If it is "me", the above is what l will do/be paying but you are your own man. undecided

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:34am On Mar 18, 2016
lastpage:

1.) Wood: You don't need 400 planks: Let us assume it is going to be 4ft raft (assumption), estimate for 300 @900 each

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jossy26: 8:10am On Mar 18, 2016
Sir, thanks for your comments I really do appreciate, still can't get the structural but I have a floor plan attached maybe it will give more idea. Mr Abdul says the labour looks ok considering that German floor is included; cost of material is a liitle above 2m, 10% of 2m for labour in this case doesn't look ok or am I getting something wrong

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SuleimanRabiu(m): 9:48am On Mar 18, 2016
jossy26:
Sir, thanks for your comments I really do appreciate, still can't get the structural but I have a floor plan attached maybe it will give more idea. Mr Abdul says the labour looks ok considering that German floor is included; cost of material is a liitle above 2m, 10% of 2m for labour in this case doesn't look ok or am I getting something wrong

I was ban responding to laspage comment above
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SuleimanRabiu(m): 9:56am On Mar 18, 2016
[quote author=abdulwastecx post=43873036][/quote]

abdulwastecx ( me) was banned responding to tjis commen, using one of my employing nairaland account for the time been.

the quote above is unrealistic.
I will assume a ground floor perimeter of about 210m and a raft beam depth of 1200mm .
assuming a plank 1inch x 1foot x 12feet ( which normally comes in 25mm x 250mm x 3500mm)
for a depth of 1200mm/ 250mm = 4plank raft
beam perimeter of 210/3.5 = 60planks x 4 = 240planks for both side you will have 480planks.
assuming the plank used for the beam will be rebused for dpc.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jossy26: 10:03am On Mar 18, 2016
Really? Why the ban na shocked
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:25am On Mar 18, 2016
How you doing abdulwastecx and all our other engineers in the house.

I have a question for you with regards to the security house, what is the min size where I want to also have a small toilet/wet room with a tap ?
Any concerns with having a generator/power house next door to a security house ?
Do you know much about the construction of a sliding/roller gate ?
Any precautions with the installation and construction of a sliding roller gate, I see them often derail after time and I want to avoid this.
Secondly, within the track I am guessing as long as rubber tyres are being used with enough depth, there is no need for the old style of puting grease there as that would not work with rubber tyres.

Lastly, what happens when the water from the compound is running down the slope/ramp by the gate, will it not carry sand/debris into the roller gate tracks ?

Thanks in advance.

abdulwastecx:
I want to share this small security house with my oga here..
The challenge was to build a small security house that is decked and still have something befitting for entrance of house.
I want something beautiful and affordable at theaame time, so I came up with this.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jossy26: 11:28am On Mar 18, 2016
Thanks for this comprehensive analysis Mr Abdul, he suggested borehole thought but I didn't ask him for the cost, I can always do that considering it's advantage on the longterm, he did showed me a raft job he just finished and I saw so many used Planck on ths site, he said he will still use same Planck for the beam/pillar and lintel work of the house.

Thanks again for the analysis, still await the conclusion
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 7:36pm On Mar 18, 2016
lastpage:

Very correct Sir!

Finish and Go, Lock up the place and take the key away or give it to a site Security man.
Open again at 8am the next day.

Lastpage!
if you are using local artisan then yes but often times they come from quite a distance and daily travel is out of the question.

Maybe to build a shed or container.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 8:12pm On Mar 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ku3h_QCl9Y

Listen to the Lady at 5:00
I thought Lekki was better than this?. smh.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 18, 2016
Empiree:
I thought Lekki was better than this?. smh.

It's a total shame all around.

I also thank you for noticing that this was not related to the current collapse nor was it an eye witness to the current event but was from a few years ago per the YouTube upload. Some on here don't process information normally.

This disaster was already in motion years ago. Anyone in any high rise at Lekki Gardens is tossing the dice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ola20ng(m): 10:45pm On Mar 18, 2016
hello house, I want to do a temporary soak-away which will serve only one toilet for a month or less. My house is being handled by my brother(because I am not available) and I am not totally satisfied with the outcome. So, I want to handle the finishing stage by myself when I come back. We will need this soakaway before the completion of the permanent ones because I am coming to settle in this house with my family.
I just want know the ideal size for this soakaway and also if I would need to do block works and plastering for it or just ordinary digging and covering.Do I need to evacuate it or just sand-fill when I want to close it. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:53pm On Mar 18, 2016
ola20ng:
hello house, I want to do a temporary soak-away which will serve only one toilet for a month or less. My house is being handled by my brother(because I am not available) and I am not totally satisfied with the outcome. So, I want to handle the finishing stage by myself when I come back. We will need this soakaway before the completion of the permanent ones because I am coming to settle in this house with my family.
I just want know the ideal size for this soakaway and also if I would need to do block works and plastering for it or just ordinary digging and covering.Do I need to evacuate it or just sand-fill when I want to close it. Thanks

Not a recommendation, for gods sakes as I don't want the forum queens to try to eat me alive, but I've heard that you can use a "shalanga" in this such a temporary situation.

As for finishing, in my opinion you're making the best decision to be there.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 3:18am On Mar 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Not a recommendation, for gods sakes as I don't want the forum queens to try to eat me alive, but I've heard that you can use a "shalanga" in this such a temporary situation.

sounds funny but the best option.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 5:45am On Mar 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Not a recommendation, for gods sakes as[b] I don't want the forum queens to try to eat me alive, but I've heard that you can use a "shalanga" in this such a temporary situation[/b].

grin grin cool

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:59am On Mar 19, 2016
4nobody4every1:
grin grin cool

It's true.

Just dig a shalanga, ring it it like a well and direct the waste pipes in there from the toilets.

Once you're done just fill it up and cement it.

But no be me talk am o, na hear I hear am grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 6:05am On Mar 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It's true.

Just dig a shalanga, ring it it like a well and direct the waste pipes in there from the toilets.

Once you're done just fill it up and cement it.

But no be me talk am o, na hear I hear am grin
Oh my gosh, U made me laugh to the point that l fell on the ground, like seriously, do we still have such in Modern day Nigeria grin grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:10am On Mar 19, 2016
4nobody4every1:
Oh my gosh, U made me laugh to the point that l fell on the ground, like seriously, do we still have such in Modern day Nigeria grin grin

Shalanga is actually a luxury in some areas.

There are neighborhoods in old Ibadan with no shalanga.

You do your business in a polybag and do a shortput with the waste maerial, allegedly grin

Agbole Alagbedibo and Agbepo tinzs cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 6:18am On Mar 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You do your business in a polybag and do a shortput with the waste maerial, allegedly grin

Environmental pollution, Buhari / and the Vice President must hear this Buhahahahahahahahahahah grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 6:42am On Mar 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

[size=17pt]
You do your business in a polybag and do a shortput with the waste maerial, allegedly grin[/size]

Ekun!!!
You sabi that ghetto life wella grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:51am On Mar 19, 2016
agarawu23:
Ekun!!!
You sabi that ghetto life wella grin grin grin

Alumni, Ibadan Grammar School, Molete during the days of Olunloyo as Governor where dem no born you well to walk in front of his house without running at full trot. And when you survive the Mopols there then you have to deal with the "awon agbero" at "Abe Bridge Molete" grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jossy26: 12:05pm On Mar 19, 2016
segcymoor:

Unless otherwise necessary or better still non economic use of space the sqm for 5 bedroom duplex should not be more than 200sqm
this terrace building is 4 unit and 4m plus was used for the foundation (300sqm

Think about that!
Sir, can you explain this further
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:18pm On Mar 19, 2016
jossy26:

If you are not too sure about is quotation, employ an external consultant to help you a detailed materials breakdown, Labour and supervision. You can always pay that person a small amount to do it for you.

10% for workmanship (carpenter, iron benders, plumber, concreter, labor etc) is very unrealistic.

Just coming back from my one day ban
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 19, 2016
abdulwastecx:

If you are not too sure about is quotation, employ an external consultant to help you a detailed materials breakdown, Labour and supervision. You can always pay that person a small amount to do it for you.

10% for workmanship (carpenter, iron benders, plumber, concreter, labor etc) is very unrealistic.

Just coming back from my one day ban

A damn shame. If this was actioned by a moderator then they owe you a direct apology. It's people like you that are the fabric of properties section.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:51pm On Mar 19, 2016
@dominionng

please contact me.. its very urgent thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) ... (3694) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Aduragbemi45(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.