Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1725) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4370225 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1722) (1723) (1724) (1725) (1726) (1727) (1728) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 7:32am On Nov 04, 2020
Consultants that sell their professional services to clients are employees of those clients while the service lasts. This is not to say that professional service sellers are at the mercy of their clients but rather to do their very best within their professional competence to meet the needs of their clients as fully described in the conditions of engagement.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by valencia2012(m): 7:53am On Nov 04, 2020
Johntemmy:

God bless this bro. Valencia 2012
I have been having prob to upload here ever since but he challenged me to Hussle harder and I promise him to do so.
I try all my possible best to keep the promise now am getting positive returns since some hours ago calls and messages keep coming in.
God bless you bro.
A little advise can change someone's life positively.
I really learnt alots here God bless us all.
Please contact me for your rofing woods, roofing materials and woodwork biko.

Kindly give me the cost of the following:

1. 2 by 2 by 16 hard = 430 pieces
2. 2 by 2 by 16 soft = 330 pieces
3. 2 by 4 by 16 = 550 pieces.
Including transportation and logistics to IMO state. And also a partial projection of what it might look like by the end on November.
Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 8:07am On Nov 04, 2020
One4me:
I have been reading a few comments regarding Architectural drawings, since l asked an aggrieved member here to layout his complaints, about another member here and it is true that a lot of people are joining the bandwagon, without understanding the issues or having a shallow understanding of it or at worst, trying to be politically correct, which l dont do.

Firstly, l wanted Dennis 3D to have the opportunity to respond to the allegations, before asking Elders in the house to weigh-in but since the person involved, ibk202 said "I have moved-on", l decided there is no need to cry more than the bereaved, so l wont broach that issue anymore, let everyone draw their conclusions but l want to speak in the GENERAL SENSE, my opinion.

Let us look at the following scenarios, when a Client wants to build -
You contact an Architect for a Drawing:
a) Should the Architect ask you to bring money FIRST before he can do the drawing of what you want or does he does the drawing of what you want, show you and then you pay him
b) does he show you a sketch first and when you are not happy with the sketch, you ask for modifications , which when done, you pay him or does he insists on payment at this stage
c) Should he complete the drawing to your satisfaction and thereafter, ask for payment afterwards.

Each of the above scenario is fraught with potential pitfalls, if any of the two parties is greedy or a conman. So, let us take them one by one and we shall see why l said people are just joining the bandwagon.

PITFALLS
In scene (a):
If you pay the Archy FIRST and he does a shoddy job and you insist he should rework it but he either refuse or fails to do what you desire.
At this point, he can call your bluff and refuse to refund your money back, you are at his mercy!
Take note, Client has gained NOTHING for the effort of the Archy since what he asked for, is a Drawing that is fit for building and he did not get that, so he has to look for another Archy to do the job. So, the Client has lost all or some of his money!
How many of this kind of situation should a Client go through, before getting a drawing that is fit for purpose?
So, we can understand that person who said 'I will not pay UNLESS you give me a drawing that is fit for my purpose'.
What if the Archy is one that has the habit of collecting money from Clients and not taking time to do a good job that is usable or he is just not good at his job but keeps making money here and there (based on EFFORT), by taking advance payment that he refuses to refund when his job is not acceptable?
That is a Conman.

On the other hand, what about Clients that act as if they dont like the job that the Archy has sweated over and then refuse to pay for it, using one excuse or the other, even after all amendments have been satisfactorily done? The Client then makes away with such job and the Archy loses for all his effort? That is a Conman.

(b) In this option, the Archy FIRST does a SKETCH (no dimensions, just a layout or rough sketch) of the Plan for the Client to see and make amendments. Since it is nearly impossible to make a drawing the first time and not have the Client request for amendments because this is just like an Art work, 'two different eyes will always see it differently', the Client as a rule, will always have amendments to make.
At this point, the Archy can request for a 'commitment-payment' which covers his effort so far. Does the Client pay at this stage or insist that the amendments should be done to his satisfaction, before committing money? What if the Archy refuses to do any amendments at this point, except he is paid?
As, we saw in scenario (a) above, either of the party can be untruthful or unfaithful at each of this stages.
If a drawing is not complete, it is still not complete and not usable, so Client has to spend another round of money with another Archy.
For the Client, if the Archy refuses to do the modifications at this stage, he is still stuck with an UN-USABLE Drawing and as such, any money committed so far, is a loss to the Client, irrespective of the effort or best intention of the Archy. ConMan.

But what if the Archy does the modification and the Client disappears with his job, while still insisting that he is not satisfied with the job?
But l must point out that at this stage, since it is the Client that is determining what modifications he wants, it is very unlikely that if and when those modifications are done, the Client will disappear and refuse t o pay, because he has got a satisfactory job. In most cases, disagreements occur when Archy is not willing to accommodate the amendments of the Client.
But you never can tell if Client is a Conman

(c) Now, what if the Archy has taken his time to complete the job to the satisfaction of the Client, with dimensions and all and the Client still tries to fi[b][/b]nd a reason not to pay the Archy? this is not impossible because there are ConMen out there! What can the Archy do to ensure he gets paid?
This scenario is the exact opposite, or the other extreme of the stick, to what we had in scenario one (where a rogue Archy tries to dupe Clients by collecting advance payment and not doing the job to the satisfaction of the Client, while still not returning the initial payment), but here, it is the Client that collected a full and complete job from the Archy and is trying to use an unreasonable excuse to not pay the full money or the balance?

As we can see in all three cases, each party is capable of being unfaithful, along the line.
So, how do we strike a balance that protects the Client from extortion and pays the Archy his due, for his effort?
Nobody will like to pay for something that is not useful to them and a drawing that a Client cant use, is not useful to him, so he should not be paying for it, notwithstanding whatever EFFORT the Archy puts into it, Client is not paying for 'effort' but paying for a useful drawing. If you cant do the job properly, then dont expect to be paid for "effort". You are not engaged for "effort".

Archy in this situation must be patient and listen to the customer and try to fulfill their requirements, by amending the drawing to their satisfaction but with a written commitment from the Client to pay him as agreed.
Dont forget, what the Archy wants is PAYMENT for his drawing and what the Client wants is a USABLE DRAWING THAT MEETS HIS NEEDS.
I am sure a Client can be prosecuted, if he refuses to pay for a completed job, based on the amendments you asked the Archy to make and which he has made
. (Proof of their communication will prove that the amendments have been made and met).

Clients too must also understand that Archys and other service Providers, are family men with financial need and everyone deserves a reward for their trade. If he does your job, you have to pay for it otherwise, he can seek redress from the law and dont forget, their is a bigger Judge watching both of you and God help you if that your house does not crumble on your head one day, for eating somebody's sweat.
This idea that you can 'brain' someone into getting a professional job for free (except where it is their choice to provide it for free, as goodwill) is completely unacceptable.

Both Client and Archy can also agree on staged payment but it has to be such that dissuades the Archy from abandoning job just because he thinks he has got some money that covers his "effort". In most jobs, nobody pays for effort.
Making a small Advance/commitment fee is good, in my own opinion, once you get an initial sketch (say 10%) but just like any service provider, once the initial payment is high enough, complacency will set-in and no ones gets interested in doing the job where the remaining payment is not worth it anymore. So, l dont encourage a large down-payment.

The Julius Berger example someone used up there is totally irrelevant. JB is a known and established world Class institution, their jobs are usually first evaluated by Consultants who work for the Client, whose duty is to set and ensure specifications are met, before JB even makes a bid and we have never heard that JB collected money from a Client and did a shoddy job or disappears.

And no one pays for "bids", what happens is that you are required to pay a 'refundable amount' when bidding for a job and this is given back (to JB), if they dont get the job but JB does all the groundwork at its own cost.
Imagine if every Company that puts-in a lot of Effort (Transport, drawings, Writings, models, etc) in bidding for a job and they dont get it, is now asking the person giving out the job, to refund them back their initial costs of putting in the bid or to 'pay them for their effort'? shocked grin
Where does that happen? It does not work that way at all, not anywhere in th world.
Archys in other Climates, once they get a commission to do a job, they will do everything within their professional knowledge, to ensure the Customer is satisfied, and they get Paid at the end.
You should not expect to be Paid for a job not COMPLETELY DONE, just because you put in some EFFORT.
Insulting a Client is also enough reason to terminate any agreement, you just have to learn to be Professional and be Courteous.
when it comes to verbal back-and-forth, remember what they say: Customer is King and no one insults the King without getting a bloody nose. undecided

Ofcourse, the Client can out of his own decision/compassion, pay the Archy a small amount for "effort", where they cannot reach an agreement on the darwing but that is at his discretion and l encourage everyone to do so, for future goodwill.
What l think Professionals should always try to do is SATISFY the Customer's requirements and l am sure a lot of Archys do that and they dont have any complaint about not being paid.
Insulting or belittling the Customer is a just a red Flag for any Professional, even if you are think you are the best in the world. Human relationship is the greatest resource any Service provider can have, that is why companies spend heavily on PR and Customer Service.
Once your name is Tarnished, your Product is Tarnished.
Maybe some Service Provider gets too rich and too big for their Clients and think they cant take shit from Clients, if that is the case, then they should know that younger and more eager Providers are springing up daily. But if you are that 'Client from hell', you need to change your ways before you hurt and destroy yourself.
I have never heard any Client come here to complain that the likes of Spyder, Aventures, Gbadexy, Abdulwastesx, Kolashange and many more, have insulted him or her, why is that? Do they pick their own Clients from Jupiter or can it be that they go all out to satisfy their Clients?
Food for thought.

Thank you for analyzing all scenarios.
They are real and factual.
Experience is the best teacher.
You have said it all.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dbshaywhy(m): 8:12am On Nov 04, 2020
DancingSkeleton:
How much would it cost to roof a building of 3 bedroom apartment and 2 self contain using this same material? A rough estimate would be nice

Waw... We are both avin same building structure.. Mine too is at roofing level... Kindly let me know how you later work tins out.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 8:23am On Nov 04, 2020
Jasobry:
its parapet
thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:31am On Nov 04, 2020
Some few weeks back a friend almost ran into a similar issue with his architect if not for timely intervention.

The building plan has been approved and the project has been built up to lintel stage before he noticed the porch wasn’t facing the front of the land.

He was going to collect his money back from the architect and do all sorts and I ask him “Gbenga, did he send you the plan before you paid him his balance? Were revisions, corrections or adjustments made to his initial submission or not?”

I told him “You don’t know how to interpret a building plan and you want the young architect who has never visited your project to take responsibiliy for your mistake. I hope you learn from this.”

He has started spewing words “Nigerians grin

I don’t know the architect but I’m not going to stand and watch my friend rubbish an innocent guy.

_________
There’s a project I did on this forum some few years back designed by one of the foremost contemporary design architect in Nigeria. The drawing alone cost about N2,000,000.

When the revisions and back and forths got too much, the architect back out and the client decided to engaged me to redraw the plan. We ended up using Nairaland architects to draw a new plan.

Guess what? The main architect has delivered his job but the clients failure to get the estate’s deed restriction across to the the architect during the design phase messed up the whole job.
The client loved the design, everything was perfect but the estate rejected it.

Was it the architects fault? grin

Was the N2m a waste? No! Even though we had to redraw the plan, we only effect change in few areas to meet the estate’s requirement - the concept remains the same.

Guess what? No noise!

The guys are all here - the architect, the client and the man in between grin grin

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by oluwaseyi0: 9:59am On Nov 04, 2020
please someone should help me convert 60 feet by 40 feet to square meter (sqm)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:15am On Nov 04, 2020
oluwaseyi0:

60ft= 5.574 square metres
40ft= 3.716 square metres
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 10:23am On Nov 04, 2020
oluwaseyi0:

60fit x 40fit = 2400sqfeet
Same as
18.1mx 12.1m = 219.39sqm

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 11:04am On Nov 04, 2020
Tezcatlipoca:
Hello everyone, please I stay in a decked apartment but yet to complete the building on top of it and the heat is so unbearable. Is dere something that can be done or placed on top of the building to reduce the heat please?

install pop underneath the decking.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:04pm On Nov 04, 2020
twinskenny:

60ft= 5.574 square metres
40ft= 3.716 square metres
This na wire calcultion oooo grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:05pm On Nov 04, 2020
Dennis3D:

60fit x 40fit = 2400sqfeet
Same as
18.1mx 12.1m = 219.39sqm
Engineer calculation on point

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by krak101(m): 12:20pm On Nov 04, 2020
Jasobry:
My Kobo Kobo 3 bedroom bungalow... Plastering to commence soon...
Looks good. How much have you spent up to this stage? Do you mind sharing your plan? Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 12:21pm On Nov 04, 2020
rotecch77:

install pop underneath the decking.

Good idea, but...
I will be a bit more worried about the staircase area that goes up to the upper floor (not completed), if not properly done, might lead to leakage and would be worrisome to the POP. Just my thought.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:44pm On Nov 04, 2020
adezie:

I couldn't help laughing when he said you are talking to him like an employee. Biko what is he supposed to be after collecting money for a job? Mr "I am too busy" but he has time to open school and give lecture. Now he is claiming 25k for his yeye time. I don't even want to talk abt that colleague that is supporting nonsense. please ensure you collect your remaining balance. Its a wonder how he got this far with such pride.

Listening to those audio recordings, I just weak. I don't know if to laugh or cry. But I cried a little for the client sha. I really did.

.........I SAY KEEP QUIET WHEN I TALK TO YOU!!!! I should keep shut while you talk to me after I have EMPLOYED you to deliver a service.

DON'T TALK TO ME LIKE I'M YOUR EMPLOYEE!!!!! Really? So what are you? My father and I'm your child?

I HAVE TOLD YOU MY SCHEDULE, NOW GET OFF MY PHONE, GET OFF MY PHONE!!!! But you called me na. I SAY GET OFF MY PHONE!!! Ogbele o!

As your EMPLOYER, I expect to be part of your SCHEDULE so it does not help how I feel if you have told me of your schedule previously.

I cried at the end of the clip when the client said: you have my money; anything you like you can do. Oh lord, this really touched me. And of course, he did what he liked, he arbitrarily and dictatorially deducted 50% of the mobilisation fee for his effort. Effort at talking to me as a child? So I will pay you 25k to berate me like a child? Wahala dey o.

Well, I'm with Egun on this one: I will pursue you to the ends of the world and back to get my money in FULL just to prove two points: I'm not your child and yes, you ARE my employee.

I have been on Nairaland going a very long time and I've witnessed all Contractor - Client fall out, those audio clips are the worst case study to date.

14 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kestar12: 1:03pm On Nov 04, 2020
dbshaywhy:
Good evening professional in the... Happy Sunday and Happy New month too...

Just want to inform you all that I have a Ford transit bus(long chassis) available for haulage... Am base in Sagamu, Ogun State, N

Thanks in anticipation as I expect your patronage.

Can you partner
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kestar12: 1:06pm On Nov 04, 2020
dbshaywhy:
Good evening professional in the... Happy Sunday and Happy New month too...

Just want to inform you all that I have a Ford transit bus(long chassis) available for haulage... Am base in Sagamu, Ogun State, Nigeria.

Thanks in anticipation as I expect your patronage.

Let's go into partnership, we help you manage your trucks and give you returns on a bi-weekly or monthly basis.
For more information, please call 0902 216 2936.

WE ARE LOOKING FOR PARTNERS/INVESTORS FOR HAULAGE BUSINESS.

Bonafide Blessing Express Limited is a Company into Services such as Travels & Tourism, Agriculture, Logistic and Haulage.

The company is actively reliable in hiring out Trucks and Vans to contractors, Construction companies, Mining companies, Grocery stores etc.
Also to Individual or Companies that are interested in hiring Trucks and Vans for their projects or Company's distributions.

We are looking for Partners/Investors who will partner with us with their Trucks and Vans or those that can invest in the company to buy Trucks and Vans for hiring jobs.

Currently, we are looking forward to Partners and Investors (individual/companies) that are interested in partnering with us, by providing us Trucks/Vans for a minimum of 1 year renewable partnership and absolute right to use their Trucks/Vans for businesses.

Mode Of Payment:
Bi-weekly or Monthly through Bank transfer.

NOTE : The company will take FULL possession of the vehicles within the period of the contract.

These trucks/vans could be new ones or used,provided they are sound and are in a good working condition.

OUR OFFER:-
1. We will pay the trucks/vans owners on a monthly or bi-weekly basis. These payment will be made at the end of each month or every 2 weeks after the trucks/vans has started working, Payment will be made as agreed.

2. We will make accommodations available for all the Drivers and Motor-boy (Trucks)

3. We will handle the provision of supervisors for the Trucks/Vans for a proper monitoring of their operations.

4. We will handle the Drivers and Motor-boy's daily allowances(Trucks)

5. We will handle the monthly maintenance of the Trucks/Vans by changing the oil and the oil filters, monthly.

What the Trucks/Vans Owners will Handle in this Partnership:-

1. They will be in charge of employing their Drivers and Motor-boy(In case of Trucks).

2. They will pay their drivers monthly Salaries.
3. They will be in charge of handling the major maintenance of their Trucks/Vans .

4. They will handle all the government paper works on the Trucks/Vans.

5. They will be responsible for the registration of insurance and trackers(optional) for the Trucks/Vans.

6. They will handle the purchase of their Trucks/Vans.

Type Of Trucks/ Vans Needed:-

• 30/40 tons Howo Chinese Dump Trucks.

• 20/25 tons Mack Trucks.

• 30/45 tons Containerized body and open roof Trucks.

• Other Trucks, Vans etc can also be accepted.

Number Of Trucks/Vans Needed:

We need as many as possible.

For more info: pls Call/Whatsapp 09022162936 or 09060458065

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 1:10pm On Nov 04, 2020
Dennis3D:

Good idea, but...
I will be a bit more worried about the staircase area that goes up to the upper floor (not completed), if not properly done, might lead to leakage and would be worrisome to the POP. Just my thought.

That section( stir area) doesn’t need.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PropertyVendor(m): 1:17pm On Nov 04, 2020
Updated. 04/11/2020. (New price list)

This is intended to assist anyone who is seeking for robust information about cost of building materials (Cement & Rods) available in Edo and Delta State markets. It will also assist help real estate investors who want to plan towards a building project and those who want to invest in buying and selling building materials.

Nigerians oversea can as well benefit from the list, to get the idea of what is obtainable in the market back home and use it to make adequate planning towards your upcoming projects in the country. Prices may vary from state to state, however we will be using the prices of building in Edo and Delta State.

Currently, the prices of Rods is on the increase, while cement is scarce in Edo State due to bad roads, etc which has made the price to skyrocket. This list will continually be updated DAILY.

Below are our prices of building materials on 04/11/2020:

Remember to order your Rods and Cement from our list below as we await your calls.

Visit >>> Latest Prices of Building Materials in Nigeria For more details....

DANGOTE CEMENT 3X 50KG

(100 – 299 bags) ===> N 2,850

(300 – 600 bags) ===> N2,800

For Truck Price Call : 070-6481-6581

REINFORCEMENT STEEL BARS

25mm Rods (22 Pieces) per tonne ============> 220,000.00 NGN

25mm Rod One Full Length ============> 10,000.00 NGN

20mm Rods (34 Pieces) per tonne ============> 265,000.00 NGN

20mm Rod One Full Length ============> 7800.00 NGN

16mm Rods (53 Pieces) per tonne ============> 257,000.00 NGN

16mm Rod One Full Length ============> 4,850.00 NGN

12mm Rods (94 Pieces) per tonne ============> 257,000.00 NGN

12mm Rod One Full Length ============> 2,750.00 NGN

Call : 070-6481-6581

10mm Rods (135 Pieces) per tonne ===========> 270,000.00 NGN

10mm Rod One Full Length ===========> 2,000.00 NGN

8mm Rods (210 pieces) per tonne ============> 280,000.00 NGN

8mm Rod One Full Length ============> 1,350.00 NGN

Quarter Rods ( Long ) 50 pieces per bundle ========> 25,000.00 NGN

Quarter Rods ( Medium ) 50 pieces per bundle ========> 17,500.00 NGN

Quarter Rods (Short ) 50 pieces per bundle =======> 12,500.00 NGN

Binding Wires (3kg, 8kg, 10kg, 12kg, 15kg, 20kg) =========> Price Ranges per Kilogram

Call,

Fidelis070-6481-6581 || 080-7590-2447

Note:

Prices are same on all locations in Benin-City / Delta State.
Free delivery for all items listed (Long Distance May Attract Extra Charges).
Prices are based on bulk discounts and apply when you buy in large quantities.
Prices are at current rates and may change later due to market forces.

Latest Prices of Building Materials in Nigeria
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 1:27pm On Nov 04, 2020
krak101:

Looks good. How much have you spent up to this stage? Do you mind sharing your plan? Thanks
I decided not to take note of the cost to avoid crying. But decided that from parapet level.

Parapet : 600k
Wood work: 600k
Stone bridge roof tiles@3300 by 385 sqms

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 1:34pm On Nov 04, 2020
krak101:

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rajput4real93: 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2020
diordaves:

Listening to those audio recordings, I just weak. I don't know if to laugh or cry. But I cried a little for the client sha. I really did.

.........I SAY KEEP QUIET WHEN I TALK TO YOU!!!! I should keep shut while you talk to me after I have EMPLOYED you to deliver a service.

DON'T TALK TO ME LIKE I'M YOUR EMPLOYEE!!!!! Really? So what are you? My father and I'm your child?

I HAVE TOLD YOU MY SCHEDULE, NOW GET OFF MY PHONE, GET OFF MY PHONE!!!! But you called me na. I SAY GET OFF MY PHONE!!! Ogbele o!

As your EMPLOYER, I expect to be part of your SCHEDULE so it does not help how I feel if you have told me of your schedule previously.

I cried at the end of the clip when the client said: you have my money; anything you like you can do. Oh lord, this really touched me. And of course, he did what he liked, he arbitrarily and dictatorially deducted 50% of the mobilisation fee for his effort. Effort at talking to me as a child? So I will pay you 25k to berate me like a child? Wahala dey o.

Well, I'm with Egun on this one: I will pursue you to the ends of the world and back to get my money in FULL just to prove two points: I'm not your child and yes, you ARE my employee.

I have been on Nairaland going a very long time and I've witnessed all Contractor - Client fall out, those audio clips are the worst case study to date.

Same here o my brother. When i listened to the two audios, i was speechless. Arrogance at its peak. May the lord bless Darenyx and other good professionals. When i gave him an architectural drawing a few months ago, he nearly killed me with his patience. He corrected it at least seven times despite his tight schedule and still maintained his calmness. I was even embarrassed to tell him the last time.

13 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:51pm On Nov 04, 2020
One4me:
I have been reading a few comments regarding Architectural drawings, since l asked an aggrieved member here to layout his complaints, about another member here and it is true that a lot of people are joining the bandwagon, without understanding the issues or having a shallow understanding of it or at worst, trying to be politically correct, which l dont do.

Firstly, l wanted Dennis 3D to have the opportunity to respond to the allegations, before asking Elders in the house to weigh-in but since the person involved, ibk202 said "I have moved-on", l decided there is no need to cry more than the bereaved, so l wont broach that issue anymore, let everyone draw their conclusions but l want to speak in the GENERAL SENSE, my opinion.

a) Should the Architect ask you to bring money FIRST before he can do the drawing of what you want or does he does the drawing of what you want, show you and then you pay him
b) does he show you a sketch first and when you are not happy with the sketch, you ask for modifications , which when done, you pay him or does he insists on payment at this stage
c) Should he complete the drawing to your satisfaction and thereafter, ask for payment afterwards.

Each of the above scenario is fraught with potential pitfalls, if any of the two parties is greedy or a conman. So, let us take them one by one and we shall see why l said people are just joining the bandwagon.

The Architecture profession in Nigeria like some other professions is self-regulatory. The body does have a code of conduct that answers all the valid point you've raised. So engaging an architect in truth and in spirit is not very complicated and is not fraught with potential pitfalls. From my experience over the years, it is a very simple engagement process:

You walk (or call) into an architect's office and you tell him/her for brief. For example:

Client: I want to build a four flats storey building for rent. Two bedrooms each. I want one ensuite master bedroom and one communal toilet. I don't want a visitor's toilet. The rooms should not be too big and I like it light and airy. Do you have experience in doing this and what is your charge?

Architect: Yes I have experience in doing this. My fee is N250K but you will pay N5k non-refundable advance fee. This 5k will be deducted from the final fee after the job is done. If you change your mind pathway through you will not get a refund.

Client: Ok. Do you have any sample floor plan I can see just to trigger off my mind on what I want?

Architect: Yes. (produces three previous work for perusal)

Client: Can I take these home to study?

Architect: No Sir but don't worry, I will give you some floor plans to study.

Client: Ok. I think I like this one ( client settles for one) but I like you to make so so and so modification. (Client spells out what they want).

Architect: Ok. I will give you three different floor plans by Friday for you to go through over the weekend and let me know your decision. I can make a maximum of three modifications for free after that, any further request for modification is 5k.

Client: Why?

Architect: This is to help you make up your mind so we don't drag this endlessly.

Client: Ok. After I settle for a plan what next?

Architect: You will pay 100k to commission the job.

Client: When will the structural drawings be ready?

Architect: I will get the structural drawings ready by month-end that is 31 October 2020.

Client: That is too long. Can you do it earlier?

Architect: I have a one-week seminar in Abuja I must attend and I have some other pending jobs, so the best I can do is 31 October 2020.

Client: Ok. So I pay the balance after all job is completed?

Architect: No Sir. You will pay a further 100k for us to take the plan to the local government for approval. Then you pay the balance less the 5k after the approval.

Client: Why can't I pay the balance after the approval?

Architect: We will need to pay the local government fee which is 80k in this State.

Client: This is good enough for me. Is there any agreement to paper I can sign?

Architect: Yes Sir. Thanks for your patronage.

From the above, all the points you raised are answered. If you walk away, you lose your deposit; the architect is reasonably compensated for their time. Do you want a free plan by trick? No. The floor plan given is just a draft plan that the client can't work with without dimensions. There is a timeline for completion. You make payment at the completion of each stage and everything is spelt out upfront.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:03pm On Nov 04, 2020
rajput4real93:

Same here o my brother. When i listened to the two audios, i was speechless. Arrogance at its peak. May the lord bless Darenyx and other good professionals. When i gave him an architectural drawing a few months ago, he nearly killed me with his patience. He corrected it at least seven times despite his tight schedule and still maintained his calmness. I was even embarrassed to tell him the last time.

And he’s a vampire too because he seemingly never sleeps. Answers my questions promptly.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:09pm On Nov 04, 2020
diordaves:

I’ll never patronize nor recommend anyone to him. They’ve haven’t made the soap that he’ll use to wipe himself clean in my opinion.

In my professional experience you can teach technical skills but not customer service, that can just be faked. Hence why people get into trouble rather easily.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 3:18pm On Nov 04, 2020
I want to do soil test in Ibadan. Please recommend a reliable and affordable geotechnical coy.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 3:21pm On Nov 04, 2020
diordaves:

The Architecture profession in Nigeria like some other professions is self-regulatory. The body does have a code of conduct that answers all the valid point you've raised. So engaging an architect in truth and in spirit is not very complicated and is not fraught with potential pitfalls. From my experience over the years, it is a very simple engagement process:

You walk (or call) into an architect's office and you tell him/her for brief. For example:

Client: I want to build a four flats storey building for rent. Two bedrooms each. I want one ensuite master bedroom and one communal toilet. I don't want a visitor's toilet. The rooms should not be too big and I like it light and airy. Do you have experience in doing this and what is your charge?

Architect: Yes I have experience in doing this. My fee is N250K but you will pay N5k non-refundable advance fee. This 5k will be deducted from the final fee after the job is done. If you change your mind pathway through you will not get a refund.

Client: Ok. Do you have any sample floor plan I can see just to trigger off my mind on what I want?

Architect: Yes. (produces three previous work for perusal)

Client: Can I take these home to study?

Architect: No Sir but don't worry, I will give you some floor plans to study.

Client: Ok. I think I like this one ( client settles for one) but I like you to make so so and so modification. (Client spells out what they want).

Architect: Ok. I will give you three different floor plans by Friday for you to go through over the weekend and let me know your decision. I can make a maximum of three modifications for free after that, any further request for modification is 5k.

Client: Why?

Architect: This is to help you make up your mind so we don't drag this endlessly.

Client: Ok. After I settle for a plan what next?

Architect: You will pay 100k to commission the job.

Client: When will the structural drawings be ready?

Architect: I will get the structural drawings ready by month-end that is 31 October 2020.

Client: That is too long. Can you do it earlier?

Architect: I have a one-week seminar in Abuja I must attend and I have some other pending jobs, so the best I can do is 31 October 2020.

Client: Ok. So I pay the balance after all job is completed?

Architect: No Sir. You will pay a further 100k for us to take the plan to the local government for approval. Then you pay the balance less the 5k after the approval.

Client: Why can't I pay the balance after the approval?

Architect: We will need to pay the local government fee which is 80k in this State.

Client: This is good enough for me. Is there any agreement to paper I can sign?

Architect: Yes Sir. Thanks for your patronage.

From the above, all the points you raised are answered. If you walk away, you lose your deposit; the architect is reasonably compensated for their time. Do you want a free plan by trick? No. The floor plan given is just a draft plan that the client can't work with without dimensions. There is a timeline for completion. You make payment at the completion of each stage and everything is spelt out upfront.

� correct.
you just analyzed it for even a layman to understand.
you just have to pay something either you call it consultation or commitment fee, lots of we architects had already fell into hands of people like the previous man saying he won't pay till he gets a drawing kind of.

either cause we were trying to gain clients or please the person that referred them to us and at the end, we get played by people like him.

I didn't bother to listen to the audio cause I knew it will be true. mehn that's like the third person complaining of his attitude but I guess it works for him that way.

my own dey my body too, please no one should quote or attack me oh. lemme sleep n come back

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DancingSkeleton(m): 4:24pm On Nov 04, 2020
dbshaywhy:

Waw... We are both avin same building structure.. Mine too is at roofing level... Kindly let me know how you later work tins out.
Alright

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 4:26pm On Nov 04, 2020
[quote author=valencia2012 post=95667179]

Kindly give me the cost of the following:

1. 2 by 2 by 16 hard = 430 pieces
2. 2 by 2 by 16 soft = 330 pieces
3. 2 by 4 by 16 = 550 pieces.
Including transportation and logistics to IMO state. And also a partial projection of what it might look like by the end on November.
Thanks.
[/quote

Am in South West
It's by 12 here not by 16
I mean 2by2by12
2by4by12 etc not by 16 sir.
Almost every region as different sizes/height such as 12,14,16,18 long etc
It will be easier if I could supply you by12 in long from here and give you a professional carpenter from my team to do the job.
Note: the quantity will be increase a little once we agreed on using 12 instead of 16.

But if it's the said 16 you prefared most I will surely get it for you by going to Benin and supply you from there...or I come down to imo state to get you the best and do a professional job.

For the cost I can only say about the 12 from here down there cos if it reduce or high by then I will surely tell you.
For the 16 till when you are ready sir cos it may be reduced by then or high in prices.. our work get season...
I will be happy to work with you sir.
Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Footstradamus(m): 4:33pm On Nov 04, 2020
[quote author=Jasobry post=95679517][/quote]

This looks nice

Saw the pic of how far you have gone, nice job so far
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Access14(m): 5:06pm On Nov 04, 2020
Is it possible to have an Escrow in this group to avoid too much tense of Disappointment from Clients, Contractors and Vendors ?

The Elder's in the house, Pls advice

One4me:

PITFALLS
In scene (a):
If you pay the Archy FIRST and he does a shoddy job and you insist he should rework it but he either refuse or fails to do what you desire.
At this point, he can call your bluff and refuse to refund your money back, you are at his mercy!
Take note, Client has gained NOTHING for the effort of the Archy since what he asked for, is a Drawing that is fit for building and he did not get that, so he has to look for another Archy to do the job. So, the Client has lost all or some of his money!
How many of this kind of situation should a Client go through, before getting a drawing that is fit for purpose?
So, we can understand that person who said 'I will not pay UNLESS you give me a drawing that is fit for my purpose'.
What if the Archy is one that has the habit of collecting money from Clients and not taking time to do a good job that is usable or he is just not good at his job but keeps making money here and there (based on EFFORT), by taking advance payment that he refuses to refund when his job is not acceptable?
That is a Conman.

On the other hand, what about Clients that act as if they dont like the job that the Archy has sweated over and then refuse to pay for it, using one excuse or the other, even after all amendments have been satisfactorily done? The Client then makes away with such job and the Archy loses for all his effort? That is a Conman.

(b) In this option, the Archy FIRST does a SKETCH (no dimensions, just a layout or rough sketch) of the Plan for the Client to see and make amendments. Since it is nearly impossible to make a drawing the first time and not have the Client request for amendments because this is just like an Art work, 'two different eyes will always see it differently', the Client as a rule, will always have amendments to make.
At this point, the Archy can request for a 'commitment-payment' which covers his effort so far. Does the Client pay at this stage or insist that the amendments should be done to his satisfaction, before committing money? What if the Archy refuses to do any amendments at this point, except he is paid?
As, we saw in scenario (a) above, either of the party can be untruthful or unfaithful at each of this stages.
If a drawing is not complete, it is still not complete and not usable, so Client has to spend another round of money with another Archy.
For the Client, if the Archy refuses to do the modifications at this stage, he is still stuck with an UN-USABLE Drawing and as such, any money committed so far, is a loss to the Client, irrespective of the effort or best intention of the Archy. ConMan.

But what if the Archy does the modification and the Client disappears with his job, while still insisting that he is not satisfied with the job?
But l must point out that at this stage, since it is the Client that is determining what modifications he wants, it is very unlikely that if and when those modifications are done, the Client will disappear and refuse t o pay, because he has got a satisfactory job. In most cases, disagreements occur when Archy is not willing to accommodate the amendments of the Client.
But you never can tell if Client is a Conman

(c) Now, what if the Archy has taken his time to complete the job to the satisfaction of the Client, with dimensions and all and the Client still tries to fi[b][/b]nd a reason not to pay the Archy? this is not impossible because there are ConMen out there! What can the Archy do to ensure he gets paid?
This scenario is the exact opposite, or the other extreme of the stick, to what we had in scenario one (where a rogue Archy tries to dupe Clients by collecting advance payment and not doing the job to the satisfaction of the Client, while still not returning the initial payment), but here, it is the Client that collected a full and complete job from the Archy and is trying to use an unreasonable excuse to not pay the full money or the balance?

As we can see in all three cases, each party is capable of being unfaithful, along the line.
So, how do we strike a balance that protects the Client from extortion and pays the Archy his due, for his effort?
Nobody will like to pay for something that is not useful to them and a drawing that a Client cant use, is not useful to him, so he should not be paying for it, notwithstanding whatever EFFORT the Archy puts into it, Client is not paying for 'effort' but paying for a useful drawing. If you cant do the job properly, then dont expect to be paid for "effort". You are not engaged for "effort".

Archy in this situation must be patient and listen to the customer and try to fulfill their requirements, by amending the drawing to their satisfaction but with a written commitment from the Client to pay him as agreed.
Dont forget, what the Archy wants is PAYMENT for his drawing and what the Client wants is a USABLE DRAWING THAT MEETS HIS NEEDS.
I am sure a Client can be prosecuted, if he refuses to pay for a completed job, based on the amendments you asked the Archy to make and which he has made
. (Proof of their communication will prove that the amendments have been made and met).

Clients too must also understand that Archys and other service Providers, are family men with financial need and everyone deserves a reward for their trade. If he does your job, you have to pay for it otherwise, he can seek redress from the law and dont forget, their is a bigger Judge watching both of you and God help you if that your house does not crumble on your head one day, for eating somebody's sweat.
This idea that you can 'brain' someone into getting a professional job for free (except where it is their choice to provide it for free, as goodwill) is completely unacceptable.

Both Client and Archy can also agree on staged payment but it has to be such that dissuades the Archy from abandoning job just because he thinks he has got some money that covers his "effort". In most jobs, nobody pays for effort.
Making a small Advance/commitment fee is good, in my own opinion, once you get an initial sketch (say 10%) but just like any service provider, once the initial payment is high enough, complacency will set-in and no ones gets interested in doing the job where the remaining payment is not worth it anymore. So, l dont encourage a large down-payment.

The Julius Berger example someone used up there is totally irrelevant. JB is a known and established world Class institution, their jobs are usually first evaluated by Consultants who work for the Client, whose duty is to set and ensure specifications are met, before JB even makes a bid and we have never heard that JB collected money from a Client and did a shoddy job or disappears.

And no one pays for "bids", what happens is that you are required to pay a 'refundable amount' when bidding for a job and this is given back (to JB), if they dont get the job but JB does all the groundwork at its own cost.
Imagine if every Company that puts-in a lot of Effort (Transport, drawings, Writings, models, etc) in bidding for a job and they dont get it, is now asking the person giving out the job, to refund them back their initial costs of putting in the bid or to 'pay them for their effort'? shocked grin
Where does that happen? It does not work that way at all, not anywhere in th world.
Archys in other Climates, once they get a commission to do a job, they will do everything within their professional knowledge, to ensure the Customer is satisfied, and they get Paid at the end.
You should not expect to be Paid for a job not COMPLETELY DONE, just because you put in some EFFORT.
Insulting a Client is also enough reason to terminate any agreement, you just have to learn to be Professional and be Courteous.
when it comes to verbal back-and-forth, remember what they say: Customer is King and no one insults the King without getting a bloody nose. undecided

Ofcourse, the Client can out of his own decision/compassion, pay the Archy a small amount for "effort", where they cannot reach an agreement on the darwing but that is at his discretion and l encourage everyone to do so, for future goodwill.
What l think Professionals should always try to do is SATISFY the Customer's requirements and l am sure a lot of Archys do that and they dont have any complaint about not being paid.
Insulting or belittling the Customer is a just a red Flag for any Professional, even if you are think you are the best in the world. Human relationship is the greatest resource any Service provider can have, that is why companies spend heavily on PR and Customer Service.
Once your name is Tarnished, your Product is Tarnished.
Maybe some Service Provider gets too rich and too big for their Clients and think they cant take shit from Clients, if that is the case, then they should know that younger and more eager Providers are springing up daily. But if you are that 'Client from hell', you need to change your ways before you hurt and destroy yourself.
I have never heard any Client come here to complain that the likes of Spyder, Aventures, Gbadexy, Abdulwastesx, Kolashange and many more, have insulted him or her, why is that? Do they pick their own Clients from Jupiter or can it be that they go all out to satisfy their Clients?
Food for thought.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:43pm On Nov 04, 2020
Kestar12:

Let's go into partnership, we help you manage your trucks and give you returns on a bi-weekly or monthly basis.
For more information, please call 0902 216 2936.

WE ARE LOOKING FOR PARTNERS/INVESTORS FOR HAULAGE BUSINESS.

Bonafide Blessing Express Limited is a Company into Services such as Travels & Tourism, Agriculture, Logistic and Haulage.

The company is actively reliable in hiring out Trucks and Vans to contractors, Construction companies, Mining companies, Grocery stores etc.
Also to Individual or Companies that are interested in hiring Trucks and Vans for their projects or Company's distributions.

We are looking for Partners/Investors who will partner with us with their Trucks and Vans or those that can invest in the company to buy Trucks and Vans for hiring jobs.

OUR OFFER:-
1. We will pay the trucks/vans owners on a monthly or bi-weekly basis. These payment will be made at the end of each month or every 2 weeks after the trucks/vans has started working, Payment will be made as agreed.

2. We will make accommodations available for all the Drivers and Motor-boy (Trucks)

3. We will handle the provision of supervisors for the Trucks/Vans for a proper monitoring of their operations.

4. We will handle the Drivers and Motor-boy's daily allowances(Trucks)

5. We will handle the monthly maintenance of the Trucks/Vans by changing the oil and the oil filters, monthly.

What the Trucks/Vans Owners will Handle in this Partnership:-

1. They will be in charge of employing their Drivers and Motor-boy(In case of Trucks).

2. They will pay their drivers monthly Salaries.
3. They will be in charge of handling the major maintenance of their Trucks/Vans .

4. They will handle all the government paper works on the Trucks/Vans.

5. They will be responsible for the registration of insurance and trackers(optional) for the Trucks/Vans.

6. They will handle the purchase of their Trucks/Vans.

Everything was fine until I read the bolded part.

What if I don’t want to deal with the recruitment of truck driver or motor-boy?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1722) (1723) (1724) (1725) (1726) (1727) (1728) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: amosblac and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.