Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,788 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1844) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4388225 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1841) (1842) (1843) (1844) (1845) (1846) (1847) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 7:27pm On Dec 18, 2020
michlins:
I was younger when I started working for my boss
I Taya oo

Aki and pawpaw are actually older than their stature

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 7:28pm On Dec 18, 2020
n3xt:

Someone said she’s going to call immigration on Cotonou carpenters some years back and I asked her “What exactly will you charge them for?”

I’d rather work with those kids than work with adults who will milk you dry and end up doing useless job for you.

Child labor my foot! Our folks are out there doing yahoo yahoo.

_____
The project below was handled by 3 of my young Cotonou Carpenters (aged between 13 - 27).
They’re still working with me till date.

Thanks Jare

Trust Nigerians to always be sentimental
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 7:33pm On Dec 18, 2020
Now into something serious.

Still on the comparison between POP Cement and Plaster Board.

Presently a bag of POP Cement cost between ₦8500 to ₦10,000

A bag of POP Cement will give you 6 pieces of boards measuring 0.8m * 1.2m, totalling 5.76sqm

Plaster Board that cost ₦8500 will give you boards capable of covering a ceiling of 3.6sqm.

Another thing is that if not for the greed of marketers, POP Cement should not exceed ₦6500 per bag, but we currently buy at the rate of ₦8500-₦10,000

You can take your decision

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 7:52pm On Dec 18, 2020
michlins:
If not for privacy issues, I for show una picture of an eighth years old who's learning my job.

Child labor in a continent filled with poverty and hunger plus unemployment. To these kids, it's their only path out of chronic poverty. And it's not like we have a solution to the problem

An eight year old child should not be fiddling with electrod, sparks, cutting and grinding tools.

There's a solution already. The child should go back to school to acquire basic education to a minimum of JSS level and can then learn a trade in a safe structured environment IF proven to be struggling with academic learning.

Child labour and exploitation is real. There's the United Nations convention against child labour and exploitation to which Nigeria is a signitory.

My eight years old boy will not "learn work" but go to school. I wish same for all children particularly Africa children No under age labour on my site and I will not buy any product I'm aware is made from/by child labour.

Every child has an unqualified (human) right to education to SSS level.

It is sad to read here such lackadaisical attitude to child labour.

As a business owner, not encouraging child labour is part of your Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). This is part of what you give back to society.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DancingSkeleton(m): 8:11pm On Dec 18, 2020
Jasobry:

I dressed before roofing. Excellent job done. My neighbours regreted roofing before dressing the parapet
The person who did their parapet dressing dressing did a terrible job. Here’s mine completed yesterday.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:12pm On Dec 18, 2020
diordaves:

An eight year old child should not be fiddling with electrod, sparks, cutting and grinding tools.

There's a solution already. [b]The child should go back to school to acquire basic education to a minimum of JSS level and can then learn a trade in a safe structured environment IF proven to be struggling with academic learning.[b/]

Child labour and exploitation is real. There's the United Nations convention against child labour and exploitation to which Nigeria is a signitory.

My eight years old boy will not "learn work" but go to school. I wish same for all children particularly Africa children No under age labour on my site and I will not buy any product I'm aware is made from/by child labour.

Every child has an unqualified (human) right to education to SSS level.

It is sad to read here such lackadaisical attitude to child labour.

As a business owner, not encouraging child labour is part of your Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). This is part of what you give back to society.

will you be willing to sponsor the education. At least he's better than those ones begging on the streets. Five years time and he will be hustling for jobs and taking care of his bills.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:39pm On Dec 18, 2020
davodyguy:
Now into something serious.

Still on the comparison between POP Cement and Plaster Board.

Presently a bag of POP Cement cost between ₦8500 to ₦10,000

A bag of POP Cement will give you 6 pieces of boards measuring 0.8m * 1.2m, totalling 5.76sqm

Plaster Board that cost ₦8500 will give you boards capable of covering a ceiling of 3.6sqm.

Another thing is that if not for the greed of marketers, POP Cement should not exceed ₦6500 per bag, but we currently buy at the rate of ₦8500-₦10,000

You can take your decision

My decision to go with Plasterboard is based on the following:

- the time it takes to produce the 6 small pop boards.
- the cost of extra materials (pop sponge,oil, soap etc)
- the additional labour cost of producing the boards.
- the extra materials required to fix pop boards. Smaller boards requires more pop sponge and cement.
- the time it takes to fix the 6 small pop boards
- the amount of mess made while fixing the small pop boards.

Take your decision cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 8:54pm On Dec 18, 2020
michlins:
will you be willing to sponsor the education. At least he's better than those ones begging on the streets. Five years time and he will be hustling for jobs and taking care of his bills.

Is there a shortage of young adults that you would choose an 8 year old child to come and work for you?

Society owes that child an education, not hard labor at this age. And, yes, Society includes you.

You almost sound proud of the fact you are employing an 8 year old.

'Sentimentality' should not be a dirty word here. Would anyone not feel sentimental when they think for a moment it was their own child?

You are breaking the law.

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:04pm On Dec 18, 2020
Phylife:

Please can I have their contacts?

You want it here or where?

The lead carpenters’ name is Clement. He has been on my projects since 2011.

________
Below are some of the projects he has done for us at NextHome:

Pic 1 - First Project in 2012
Pic 2 - Curved Terrace (Lipstick) design by Play-in-Architecture
Pic 3&4 - Slabless Staircase

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by pussiboner: 9:04pm On Dec 18, 2020
jabolo:

Is there a shortage of young adults that you would choose an 8 year old child to come and work for you?

Society owes that child an education, not hard labor at this age. And, yes, Society includes you.

'Sentimentality' should not be a dirty word here. Would anyone not feel sentimental when they think for a moment it was their own child?

Are u saying you have never bought wares or food items from an 8 year old kid?

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 18, 2020
[quote author=n3xt post=97207901]
You want it here or where?
The lead carpenters’ name is Clement. He has been on my projects since 2011.
________ Below are some of the projects he has done for us at NextHome:
Pic 1 - First Project in 2012 Pic 2 - Curved Terrace (Lipstick) Pic 3&4 - Slabless Staircase [/quote
euphilian@gmail.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 9:20pm On Dec 18, 2020
pussiboner:

Are u saying you have never bought wares or food items from an 8 year old kid?

Not that I recall honest.

What we are saying is employers should not be encouraging this. That's why the law exists.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:30pm On Dec 18, 2020
jabolo:

Not that I recall honest.

What we are saying is employers should not be encouraging this. That's why the law exists.

I agree the law exist for some and not all

____
Check the picture below. Try report the employer of this young guy to the government grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 9:33pm On Dec 18, 2020
jabolo:

point out where I said I have an eight years old under my employ.

Society failed him and he choose to take up his own destiny

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by soonest(f): 9:35pm On Dec 18, 2020
jabolo:

I don't think they employ these underage boys, i think it's a case of apprenticeship

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:51pm On Dec 18, 2020
michlins:
point out where I said I have an eight years old under my employ.

Society failed him and he choose to take up his own destiny

During the lockdown, I trained over 2000 young people in sub-Sahara Africa including my 9 and 10 yo kids. It’s sad to see graduates who do not know what the future holds and uneducated artisans earning big.
The Covid19 lockdown exposed a lot.

I taught my kids how my make custom lights and DIY chandelier (picking up the parts and coming up with bespoke designs). I also engage them in 90% of my DIY projects. They now understand concrete mix design.

We’d be fine if stop pretending everything is well with Africa.

In Nigeria, every man is a democracy of its own. You build your own road; sink your borehole; design your own life; generate your own power supply; sponsor your own education. The government only tax you for it.

______
Today, a lot of all these young guys are earning far more than most people on collar jobs. I’m talking about skilled ones and not the ones flooding every site with adverts “I’m a carpenter. Pls try me. grin

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bakin3(m): 9:57pm On Dec 18, 2020
yinkaoke:
[Send ur number please
quote author=Bakin3 post=97024410]

# 250,000.

0 8 1 4 0 7 6 6 7 4 2
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 10:00pm On Dec 18, 2020
n3xt:

During the lockdown, I trained over 2000 young people in sub-Sahara Africa including my 9 and 10 yo kids. It’s sad to see graduates who do not know what the future holds and uneducated artisans earning big.
The Covid19 lockdown exposed a lot.

I taught my kids how my make custom lights and DIY chandelier (picking up the parts and coming up with bespoke designs). I also engage them in 90% of my DIY projects. They now understand concrete mix design.

We’d be fine if stop pretending everything is well with Africa.

In Nigeria, every man is a democracy of its own. You build your own road; sink your borehole; design your own life; generate your own power supply; sponsor your own education. The government only tax you for it.

______
Today, a lot of all these young guys are earning far more than most people on collar jobs. I’m talking about skilled ones and not the ones flooding every site with adverts “I’m a carpenter. Pls try me. grin
the funny thing is that we all see these kids and do nothing to help them.
These kids deserve education but since they can't get it, let them take up the next best thing available. It's a cat race here and everyone is trying to outrun poverty. Some already across the line but millions are yet to even start a race.

I went with my friend to his village in Ebonyi State,as we were going,a small boy of around 8 was begging my friend to take him with him because he's tired of staying in the village with zero prospect. At that time, I was still engaged with my boss. If not, I will take that boy immediately and teach him my job. Child labor consequences be damned

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by HEADYWORLD: 10:05pm On Dec 18, 2020
n3xt:
Roofing done by a 13 year old carpenter 7 years ago.

Imagine what he’d do now!

I am very sure you underpaid them ... stop glorifying child abuse.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:05pm On Dec 18, 2020
michlins:
These kids deserve education but since they can't get it, let them take up the next best thing available. It's a cat race here and everyone is trying to outrun poverty. Some already across the line but millions are yet to even start a race.

I went with my friend to his village in Ebonyi State,as we were going,a small boy of around 8 was begging my friend to take him with him because he's tired of staying in the village with zero prospect. At that time, I was still engaged with my boss. If not, I will take that boy immediately and teach him my job. Child labor consequences be damned

Before my friend will come and talk about my pompous disposition and imaginary projects.

Here’s evidence of the training I did during the lockdown for over 2000 young undergraduates from over 7 countries in subsahara Africa.

My government will have spent Billions of naira to do that without positive feedbacks.

@kopell I gave up on naija govt long time ago.

_______
While ASUU and FG are playing, we achieved the above.

That’s who I am!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 10:07pm On Dec 18, 2020
michlins:

Where we differ is I'll send him to school as his primary focus if I choose to help.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larry1960: 10:09pm On Dec 18, 2020
Please what is the length of reinforcement?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:10pm On Dec 18, 2020
HEADYWORLD:
I am very sure you underpaid them ... stop glorifying child abuse.

There’s none of those guys who do not have their own house. I ensure they achieve that.

Call it whatever name. They’re far better off than those stealing to earn a living.

This year alone I’ve donated 6 website to teenagers and you’d be shocked at what they’re doing.

The future of Nigeria is in her young people. We need to invest in them early enough.

Beyond buildings and construction, we empower young people.

Here’s one of our donated website: https://ircemng.com/

IRCEM (Imbibing Reading Culture, Eradicating Examination Malpractices), is an initiative that actively empowers students of secondary schools (Junior and Senior) with reading skills and as a tool, uses this to fight examination malpractices amongst students.

_______
On the flipside, HEADYWORLD, “Do I look cheap to you?”

You might want to check out Girl Child Development Hub and see the amazing stuff, an NGO setup by my teenage girl, is doing in over 5 states.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 10:11pm On Dec 18, 2020
jabolo:

Where we differ is I'll send him to school as his primary focus if I choose to help.
this is internet where I can claim to be a philanthropist but different in reality. I can't promise anyone that. If I have the resources, I will further my education and graduate as an economist. I will save myself first before trying to save another person

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 10:27pm On Dec 18, 2020
Can an engineer do the bill of quantities? Must it be a quantity surveyor? If it must be a quantity surveyor can someone recommend me one specific for the southeast region. I hope the person has experience on the cost of things in South East because I think these things vary from region to region as I can see from example that the cost of a bag of cement is not the same everywhere.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 11:01pm On Dec 18, 2020
Ndyoo:
Can an engineer do the bill of quantities? Must it be a quantity surveyor? If it must be a quantity surveyor can someone recommend me one specific for the southeast region. I hope the person has experience on the cost of things in South East because I think these things vary from region to region as I can see from example that the cost of a bag of cement is not the same everywhere.

Do you have your drawings , I can prepare the bill of quantity (BOQ) for your project.Just rounded up work on a project in Awka.
Send the drawings to my mail.
raymondfubara@gmail.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sinorte: 4:48am On Dec 19, 2020
Kindly help me with a link to the post where we have calculation/estimation on interlocking.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 5:07am On Dec 19, 2020
michlins:

unless we are just trying to feign ignorance or be an hypocrite. Nigeria govt has failed us so everyone is trying to survive.

I hate when I hear and read about education, education is overrated in Nigeria. When I count billionaires and millionaires in Nigeria and the whole world entirely, you won't see who made it big with education (I mean with salary from his/her white collar job). BUSINESS and SKILLS is the only WAY to survive in NIGERIA.

Education is good but it's useless in a shithole like Nigeria. Skills and family background is what youths are using to survive now (thanks to ASUU and FG that are playing kite with our students)

My 11 year old is now learning catering because I know the future of this useless country where graduates don't have hope of getting good job.

Greed is in Nigeria and we don't love ourselves. Same person preaching love doesn't love his neighbor including their dogs. We have rich people here that can help these underage kids in their street but will ignore them and start chasing how to build another house when they already have 5. It's self centered and most of them will still tell you child labor is bad. how many have we helped?? Let's start from our side.

If govt doesn't help them and the privileged ones can't help them as well then they have no choice than to enroll in different hand work to build their future. Everything shouldn't be about SCHOOL. Not all parents have the power to send their kids to school. I achieve a lot with my skills and not the book I read.

17 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:12am On Dec 19, 2020
sinorte:
Kindly help me with a link to the post where we have calculation/estimation on interlocking.

I hope this helps

n3xt:
On interlock, here are important things to note:

For 6cm thick mold only

36 pcs of stones make 1 sqm using Double T
36 pcs of stones make 1 sqm using Zenith shape
50 pcs of stones make 1 sqm using “I”

30 tons of Stone Dust will produce 280 sqm of 6cm thick stone

1 bag of cement will produce 3.5sqm of stone.

Good pigment to add colour is sold +/- N30,000 - N50,000 per bag.

Labour charges varies from 300 - 700 per sqm for casting and laying. This depends on your bargaining power. Some people will even charge you more if they notice you have no idea.

Compactor rentage is between 10,000 - 15,000 per day. I have my compactor tho used for the project. https://www.facebook.com/199049746782483/posts/3778095355544553/?vh=e

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MRFIXER001: 6:03am On Dec 19, 2020
The length of reinforcement is 30ft
Larry1960:
Please what is the length of reinforcement?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:14am On Dec 19, 2020
zuraking:
unless we are just trying to feign ignorance or be an hypocrite. Nigeria govt has failed us so everyone is trying to survive.

I hate when I hear and read about education, education is overrated in Nigeria. When I count billionaires and millionaires in Nigeria and the whole world entirely, you won't see who made it big with education (I mean with salary from his/her white collar job). BUSINESS and SKILLS is the only WAY to survive in NIGERIA.

Education is good but it's useless in a shithole like Nigeria. Skills and family background is what youths are using to survive now (thanks to ASUU and FG that are playing kite with our students)

My 11 year old is now learning catering because I know the future of this useless country where graduates don't have hope of getting good job.

Greed is in Nigeria and we don't love ourselves. Same person preaching love doesn't love his neighbor including their dogs. We have rich people here that can help these underage kids in their street but will ignore them and start chasing how to build another house when they already have 5. It's self centered and most of them will still tell you child labor is bad. how many have we helped?? Let's start from our side.

If govt doesn't help them and the privileged ones can't help them as well then they have no choice than to enroll in different hand work to build their future. Everything shouldn't be about SCHOOL. Not all parents have the power to send their kids to school. I achieve a lot with my skills and not the book I read.

I cannot count the number of graduates/undergraduates we train annually.

One of our major problem in Nigeria is “We have too many educated illiterates.”

The future is bleak unless we invest heavily in our young ones. It’s not all about the useless feeding programmes.

_______

Pic 1 & 2 - This is the true state of the nation.

If government should arrest those empowering young ones with basic skills, what should happen to those producing unemployable graduates?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1841) (1842) (1843) (1844) (1845) (1846) (1847) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Studentcosmos(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.