Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,700 members, 7,831,184 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1948) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4433253 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1945) (1946) (1947) (1948) (1949) (1950) (1951) ... (3675) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by meekmill(m): 1:22pm On Jan 24, 2021
nnadychuks:
In the next 14 days, prices of building materials will reduce. Don’t stock up

Including tiles?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:24pm On Jan 24, 2021
segzyfunmi:

Thanks a lot. Pls share contact of alternative as suggested. Pls tell me, what do you think should be the rough estimate for labour and engineer fee??

Ok. Pls share your building plan.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 1:27pm On Jan 24, 2021
Happy Sunday.

As regards the situation, I have said it times without number that it's advisable for clients, project sponsor or home owners to hire independent professional to assess the construction cost of their projects especially in a relatively high end construction.

To have a contractor to submit his quotation for a project to a client, to be assessed, who has no knowledge of construction processes will not be fair to the clients at all. Even if the clients insist on buying all the materials as quoted and subsequently monitor the usage of such, there's still no way for the client to know the fair cost of required labour for such project. Hence, the client is still very likely to lose a good amount of money to labour cost.

That's why professional Quantity Surveyors are trained to be an independent cost assessor of construction enterprises which ranges from building to roads, bridges to railway, and what have you.

In your case, the best bet is to let us have the drawings and advise on the cost consequently.

As regards 5% supervisory fee, it's subject to review. However, in a standard contract with reputable and registered construction firms, 15 to 35% or even higher (case in point: Julius Berger) is normally charged to the actual cost of construction for overheads and profit.

segzyfunmi:
Good evening to everyone.

Pls I need a quick professional response on my matter.

My uncle wants to start his project in Abeokuta on Monday. His site has been cleared and foundation is to commence on Monday. He just funded his daughter's wedding last Saturday so he's not too boxed up, but he still insist on starting with one loose fund of #2.5million.

The problem is the engineer in charge is insisting on 3Million as indicated on the BOQ prepared by him, then an additional 5% of 3Million as the engineer's fee. Labour alone is 550k excluding engineer's fee.

It's a plot of land with very hard/dry soil in Abeokuta. The plan is strip foundation of 3bedroom up and 3bedroom down. That's just a storey building.

Professionals in the house pls help analyze if this high cost is worth it.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seborrhic: 1:29pm On Jan 24, 2021
KolaShangOne:
For those that dont know the genesis, the first time @BigTiie posted about some days ago, he said cement price was 3400 and I offered to help.

It was simply a matter of going to Ewekoro and finding a truck heading towards Atan and buying the 200 bags from them at 3100.

We all know the volatility of the market now and how prices are going up and down.

Pls I take exception to your rip off statement @serborrhic.
Sorry.
Your explanation makes sense.
It was d way it was originally conveyed that necessitated my response

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:33pm On Jan 24, 2021
bixton:

How you come about the bolded I'm surprised. Is that how you have been doing?

A quote is been done by the person who is expected to get the job done.
Now the other line to tow is to get a QS to give a quote which the client can use as comparison and monitor the actual work to be done.

The client has his 2.5M, he can procure the materials by himself ensuring he is getting the right ones.

Are you sure you actually read the post well.
The engineer is requesting for his engineering/supervision fees of 3% of the 3M quoted to build the sub structure.

Please edit your post. Don't be in a hurry to criticize wrongly.

Taking another look in regards to your response, I can now infer that the BOQ states the foundation cost is 3 million. So 5% of 3 million is 150k. I got this wrong then. But the focal elements of my take are in order:

# BOQ should be prepared independently of the resident engineer/builder.

#Circa 100k is a decent fee for the supervision.

# It is advisable to get further quotes.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segzyfunmi: 1:37pm On Jan 24, 2021
Chekitaut:
Am in Abeokuta will guide you accordingly. You will surely need an engineer.

I will supply you best quantity & quality materials.

Thanks. In that case, pls list your current price of 9" block, 50kg Dangote cement, 30tonnes granite, sharp sand etc
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 1:42pm On Jan 24, 2021
Happy Sunday.

I admire your proactive thinking.
If the building has complete architectural drawings, then the roof design would have been included. In order to assess the cost you can post the first floor plan, roof plan, sections and elevations to check if the original roof design can be achievable with your budget of 1.8million.

If the original roof design is not achievable with your budget, then it can be redesigned perhaps a lower Kingpost can be recommended among other options, to suit your budget.

Let's start by having your building plans first.

opy2com:
Good Evening All,

Please I Need Your Help! I Am About Roofing A 5 Bed Rooms And 2 Living Rooms Apartment And I Have Been Asked To Get The Skeletal Wood Work Done Before Knowing The Actual Cost Of The Roofing Sheet.

Now, I'd Love To Make Use Of A Stone Coated Roofing Sheet But I Am Afraid I Might Not Be Able To Afford It With The Way People Around Are Talking About The Cost. My Budget Is 1.8m For The Sheet And Accessories.

Can Anyone Please Give Me A Rough Estimate? I Need To Know The Possibility Before I Venture Into Erecting The Woodwork.

Thank You
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 1:58pm On Jan 24, 2021
We're still waiting for our next clients.

Contact CHOICE COST CONSULT for quantity surveying services, viz-a-viz

1) Bill of Quantities (Projected estimated cost of construction)
2) Materials and Labour Schedule (breakdown of cost of materials and labour respectively for your construction projects)
3) Valuation of ongoing construction works (know the cost of already existing or ongoing construction)
4) Bidding and Tendering for construction jobs (As a contractor bidding for jobs, you need competitive tender to win the job. Nobody can help you out except a quantity surveyor.
5) Pricing of blank/unpriced bill of quantities for tendering purposes.
6) Invitation, pre-qualification and selection of contractor based on suitable tendering procedure. Don't award your jobs to the least bidder bit the least responsive bidder. Be smart. Don't let contractors fool you.
7) Contract administration from inception to completion of your projects. (interpretation of conditions of contract is one of the duties of a smart quantity surveyor)
cool Preparation of both feasibility and viability studies (if you're engaging in a commercial construction works, know the payback period and rate of investment of your projects. Nobody does it better than a quantity surveyor.
9) Life cycle costing
10) Cost control
11) Cash flow forecasting.
Etc

Contact us today.
Mobile no: 09012800750

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:06pm On Jan 24, 2021
diordaves:

Taking another look in regards to your response, I can now infer that the BOQ states the foundation cost is 3 million. So 5% of 3 million is 150k. I got this wrong then. But the focal elements of my take are in order:

#Circa 100k is a decent fee for the supervision

The word decent fee seems like something of modesty. grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segzyfunmi: 2:08pm On Jan 24, 2021
diordaves:

#Circa 100k is a decent fee for the supervision.

Thanks for your input. The drawings are with my uncle at the moment. Is there no way I can get an approximate value for the labour cost? Pls read my first post for the description of the job to be done.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segzyfunmi: 2:10pm On Jan 24, 2021
QSFemi:
Happy Sunday.

As regards the situation, I have said it times without number that it's advisable for clients, project sponsor or home owners to hire independent professional to assess the construction cost of their projects especially in a relatively high end construction.

To have a contractor to submit his quotation for a project to a client, to be assessed, who has no knowledge of construction processes will not be fair to the clients at all. Even if the clients insist on buying all the materials as quoted and subsequently monitor the usage of such, there's still no way for the client to know the fair cost of required labour for such project. Hence, the client is still very likely to lose a good amount of money to labour cost.

That's why professional Quantity Surveyors are trained to be an independent cost assessor of construction enterprises which ranges from building to roads, bridges to railway, and what have you.

In your case, the best bet is to let us have the drawings and advise on the cost consequently.

As regards 5% supervisory fee, it's subject to review. However, in a standard contract with reputable and registered construction firms, 15 to 35% or even higher (case in point: Julius Berger) is normally charged to the actual cost of construction for overheads and profit.

Thanks for your input. The drawings are with my uncle at the moment. Is there no way I can get an approximate value for the labour cost? Pls read my first post for the description of the job to be done.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:18pm On Jan 24, 2021
QSFemi:
Happy Sunday.

Are you insinuating that the person may likely not be reputable so he is not entitled to a standard contract probably he does not own a registered company?

Is it owning a company that makes one reputable or it's the reverse?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 2:24pm On Jan 24, 2021
bixton:

Everything is possible due to the expertise of the contractor.
But it's location dependent and cost of labour acquired. Though the cost may not be much but did you use granite all through your build or a mixture of brown stones were acquired too? Did you also use laterite or sharp sand as filling material for your foundation? What mix ratio did you use for your concrete mix( kindly break it down into headpan measurements).

Thank you.

You might be right.
House was designed and carcass built by Harney.

Brown stones were only added for staircase cast and upper floor lintel and pillars when granite finished. Parapet was granite chips.

Laterite sandfill from dug well and suckaway

Mix ratio if I remember was 1/3/5.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 2:27pm On Jan 24, 2021
somehow:
Okay thanks
I believe the design may likely be the difference in cost (Both interior and exterior)
You are absolutely right. It was emphasized during the architectural design stage. Harney guys removed all unnecessary spaces, I have only one balcony and mostly straight lines and not complex use of space. The building is approx 11m by 11m square.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 2:36pm On Jan 24, 2021
spyder880:
Cement prices in some parts of the east today.

Enugu N2,800
Awka N2,800
Ekwulobia N2,800
Umunze N2,900
Orlu N2,850

Thanks Sir
My eyes on that Orlu zone

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 2:52pm On Jan 24, 2021
n3xt:
Yay or Nay?

This is something I’m working on for a minimalist project. Would you chose same and why?
It's good, Unique and flexible.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 2:54pm On Jan 24, 2021
There's no place in my writing I insinuated that the person isn't reputable.

A reputable contractor will have a registered firm with CAC, a physical office, verifiable tax remittances, experienced and qualified staff in their different professional calling, evidence of remittances of VAT among other many pre-qualification requirements.

What we normally get on most projects posted here is having a project supervisor which could be an engineer, architect, builder, QS or what have you, that is hired by the client informally (informal because no contract was signed between the client and the project supervisor) to supervise the building. This doesn't mean that the project supervisor isn't competent. Get my point please.

bixton:

Are you insinuating that the person may likely not be reputable so he is not entitled to a standard contract probably he does not own a registered company?

Is it owning a company that makes one reputable or it's the reverse?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 3:11pm On Jan 24, 2021
ceelog:

You might be right.
House was designed and carcass built by Harney.

Brown stones were only added for staircase cast and upper floor lintel and pillars when granite finished. Parapet was granite chips.

Laterite sandfill from dug well and suckaway

Mix ratio if I remember was 1/3/5.

Okay, noted.
Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EngineerOlaitan(m): 3:29pm On Jan 24, 2021
Ola Plumbing Solutions

We fix all your plumbing problem like:
✓ Shower Installation
✓ Water Leaks
✓ Pipes and Swearage
✓ Drainage Line
✓ Bathroom Installation
✓ Many more

We render service nationwide. For more details please call:
08033981171 08026937173
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by buzzy1(m): 3:29pm On Jan 24, 2021
Let me quickly introduce to the house: TUASE TECHNICAL SERVICES, We are expert in all kind of Electrical Building Services for both industrial and domestic installations ranging from designing to bidding to construction, we pride ourselves in speedy quality service delivery. There is flexibility in outstation jobs (Travelling).
Tel: 07031111605, 08025787493
Email: ttsexperts@gmail.com

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrimeQuay: 4:02pm On Jan 24, 2021
Happy Sunday,

I totally agree with this point of view i.e engaging a QS who is independent of the project.

However in my limited experience, bill of material and labor does vary from QS to QS. how does one eliminate inconsistencies.

Ive also noticed that engineers might markup labor costs (especially) in order to increase the total, resulting to a higher figure if they are working on %.

QSFemi:
Happy Sunday.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cool318(m): 4:03pm On Jan 24, 2021
Good evening able builders , suppliers and prospective clients. It's a great pleasure stepping into this learning arena.

Pls my question is this: Is it cost effective for somebody outside the country (Asia) to be precise, to shop for home fittings like: WC's, lights and fittings ( both indoor & Outdoor), Television and home theater, AC's, curtains and fittings, kitchen cabinets, wrought irons for rails and fancy doors, solar street lights & CCTV etc.

Please, experienced expert advice is needed in terms of the cost of Container and shipping charges.
Is it cheaper over there as one is buying in bulk.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:08pm On Jan 24, 2021
segzyfunmi:

Without the plan, the figures here are just ballpark figures but this will give you an insight into how this is done:

#Digging the foundation of 3 bedrooms aim for 50k.
(In Abeokuta, this might be tricky as the town can be rocky and difficult to dig but then again, because of the terrain you may not need a very deep foundation to get to stable soil).

Blinding aim from 35k

The setting of foundation block: I don't know how big is you flat, but let's guess 1300 blocks with a high foundation. To lay one block is N50.
so 50x1300 = N65k

Iron Bender to tie the basket and columns: aim from N35k

Carpenter formwork aim from: 10k

The casting of the Columns: For three bedrooms, depending on your design, your total columns should be around 16 columns. To cast one column aim from 1k per column.
So 1x16 = N16,000

Foundation and back filling aim for: 15K

Wetting of foundation (compacting) - 1k

Casting of German floor aim from: 10k

Total Labour: N237k

These figures are highly debatable but hopefully, you should now have an idea on the direction of travel.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 4:48pm On Jan 24, 2021
cool318:
Good evening able builders , suppliers and prospective clients. It's a great pleasure stepping into this learning arena.

Pls my question is this: Is it cost effective for somebody outside the country (Asia) to be precise, to shop for home fittings like: WC's, lights and fittings ( both indoor & Outdoor), Television and home theater, AC's, curtains and fittings, kitchen cabinets, wrought irons for rails and fancy doors, solar street lights & CCTV etc.

Please, experienced expert advice is needed in terms of the cost of Container and shipping charges.
Is it cheaper over there as one is buying in bulk.

davodguy dey import from there so why not take advantage of it since you're already there
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amastermovic(m): 4:51pm On Jan 24, 2021
diordaves:

Without the plan, the figures here are just ballpark figures but this will give you an insight into how this is done:

(In Abeokuta, this might be tricky as the town can be rocky and difficult to dig but then again, because of the terrain you may not need a very deep foundation to get to stable soil).

Blinding aim from 35k

The setting of foundation block: I don't know how big is you flat, but let's guess 1300 blocks with a high foundation. To lay one block is N50.
so 50x1300 = N65k

The casting of the Columns: For three bedrooms, depending on your design, your total columns should be around 16 columns. To cast one column aim from 1k per column.
So 1x16 = N16,000

These figures are highly debatable but hopefully, you should now have an idea on the direction of travel.

BLINDING COST 35K y is casting of german floor now 10k pls guide me .

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:06pm On Jan 24, 2021
Amastermovic:

BLINDING COST 35K y is casting of german floor now 10k pls guide me .

The way I see it is that blinding is more intricate and time consuming work than casting of german floor.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 5:09pm On Jan 24, 2021
Hiring a QS for your project is one of the smartest decisions that will save you lots of money as a client, project sponsor or building owner.

As regards different QS arriving at a significantly different project costs, some reasons can be attributed to that;

1) Inadequate drawings. Some projects especially that involve 2 or more floors might have only architectural drawings without even having structural drawings. M&E drawings are non existent in most cases. In this scenario, that means the Quantity Surveyors will have to make "reasonable assumptions" of the structural elements in the building based on experience and competence.

2) Difference in specifications. Lots of important specifications are always missing on even drawings. In an ideal setting, a QS is supposed to send a "query" to either the design Architect or Engineer as the case may be to get a clarification on such items. In a situation where the QS has no express access to the designers - Architect or Engineer, the QS has to make "reasonable assumptions". Making reasonable assumptions is a very important part of QS training.

3) Competence of the QS of course.

4) Estimating information and pricing details used by the QS. This include market price of materials, labour rate, preliminaries pricing, overheads pricing etc.

5) Arithmetic errors in the bill of quantities. Quantity Surveyors are humans and as such do make arithmetic errors in the bill of quantities. That's why during tendering such as open or competitive tendering for a project where a number of contractors bid for such, one of the things the consultant QS will do after opening of bids is to check for arithmetic errors in the submitted bids and make corrections.
That's why whenever I receive quotations either from contractors, subcontractors or suppliers, the first I do is to check for arithmetic errors.

6) Method of procurement of the proposed building. There are many methods of procurement of projects with their pros and cons and that consequently have a considerable effect on the overall construction cost.

7) Nature of the project and the expected technical expertise required. You don't expect a project that require the expertise of Cappa D Alberto or Julius Berger to have the same contract sum for one that will be done by Femi and Son Construction Company even for the same type of project.

cool Other factors such as site accessibility, site conditions, etc can also affect a QS bill of quantities.

Let me just stop here.

There are still tons of other factors.

PrimeQuay:
Happy Sunday,

I totally agree with this point of view i.e engaging a QS who is independent of the project.

However in my limited experience, bill of material and labor does vary from QS to QS. how does one eliminate inconsistencies.

Ive also noticed that engineers might markup labor costs (especially) in order to increase the total, resulting to a higher figure if they are working on %.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 5:19pm On Jan 24, 2021
hey house,
please I need ideas of car port, costs et al.
project in Ibadan
thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrimeQuay: 5:39pm On Jan 24, 2021
Well said. I'm sure many on this forum including myself will benefit from your insights.

For most of us here, projects undertaken will not require the likes of JB & Cappa (I may be wrong) so we will gladly work with Femi & sons.

The keyword I keyed into here is "Competence of the QS"

Keep up the good work sir!

QSFemi:
Hiring a QS for your project is one of the smartest decisions that will save you lots of money as a client, project sponsor or building owner.

As regards different QS arriving at a significantly different project costs, some reasons can be attributed to that;

1) Inadequate drawings. Some projects especially that involve 2 or more floors might have only architectural drawings without even having structural drawings. M&E drawings are non existent in most cases. In this scenario, that means the Quantity Surveyors will have to make "reasonable assumptions" of the structural elements in the building based on experience and competence.

2) Difference in specifications. Lots of important specifications are always missing on even drawings. In an ideal setting, a QS is supposed to send a "query" to either the design Architect or Engineer as the case may be to get a clarification on such items. In a situation where the QS has no express access to the designers - Architect or Engineer, the QS has to make "reasonable assumptions". Making reasonable assumptions is a very important part of QS training.

3) Competence of the QS of course.

4) Estimating information and pricing details used by the QS. This include market price of materials, labour rate, preliminaries pricing, overheads pricing etc.

5) Arithmetic errors in the bill of quantities. Quantity Surveyors are humans and as such do make arithmetic errors in the bill of quantities. That's why during tendering such as open or competitive tendering for a project where a number of contractors bid for such, one of the things the consultant QS will do after opening of bids is to check for arithmetic errors in the submitted bids and make corrections.
That's why whenever I receive quotations either from contractors, subcontractors or suppliers, the first I do is to check for arithmetic errors.

6) Method of procurement of the proposed building. There are many methods of procurement of projects with their pros and cons and that consequently have a considerable effect on the overall construction cost.

7) Nature of the project and the expected technical expertise required. You don't expect a project that require the expertise of Cappa D Alberto or Julius Berger to have the same contract sum for one that will be done by Femi and Son Construction Company even for the same type of project.

cool Other factors such as site accessibility, site conditions, etc can also affect a QS bill of quantities.

Let me just stop here.

There are still tons of other factors.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by westliverenterp: 5:40pm On Jan 24, 2021
What is the cost of floor and wall tiles now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segzyfunmi: 5:45pm On Jan 24, 2021
diordaves:

Blinding aim from 35k

so 50x1300 = N65k

So 1x16 = N16,000

Thanks and God bless you. For once, someone here understood my question. This breakdown in stages was what I asked for.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:54pm On Jan 24, 2021
kolnel:
hey house,
please I need ideas of car port, costs et al.
project in Ibadan
thanks
starts at #200k here in Nnewi for 20ft

The more expensive one that comes with damper rubber instead of nets starts at 500k

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1945) (1946) (1947) (1948) (1949) (1950) (1951) ... (3675) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.