Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,471 members, 7,812,449 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1981) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4376191 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1978) (1979) (1980) (1981) (1982) (1983) (1984) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KelvinCoaster(m): 9:47pm On Feb 06, 2021
PAPAFEELERS:
Please people in the house, how can you classify this and what can be the recommended solution.

We gave a furniture maker NGN 200,000 as advance out of NGN 250,000 to make a set of chairs on the 1st Dec 2020. The. Furniture maker gave us as 20 Dec 2020 to deliver..

After so many promise and fail, we learnt today that the furniture maker made the furnitures but sold it and kept lying to us giving one excuse or the other.

It's really annoying and painful because he traded with my 200, 000 making profits and still he has not delivered the order from Dec 20, 2020 till now.

How can I get this furniture maker to feel the pain I am going thru because of his dishonesty and wickedness.

Will getting him to arrested be an option that would be effective?

Please I need suggestions because if this people are not made to bear the consequences of their actions, such behavior will continues with more people falling victim.
I suggest you contact a lawyer.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olaoye15(m): 9:57pm On Feb 06, 2021
Hello my people.

I am planning to build a four bedroom bungalow in Ibadan. The project will be starting in a short time. I actually want to equip myself with the stages involved in the process from start to finish as I dont want to look like a novice around the engineer.

Can someone take me through the processes. For the foundation, I have already offloaded the following at the site.

30tons of Sharp sand
20 tons of granite (it looks like the granite is the upper type, can it serve the purpose)
40 bags of cement
I am thinking of buying 500pcs. Can it be enough for the foundation?

What other materials do I need to provide?
I currently dont have the floor plan but experienced builders here can still give me a near estimate. It is a simple four bed, all in suit. Open kitchen, and a study.

I will be looking forward to reading form you.

Thank you.

I am
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 9:59pm On Feb 06, 2021
Please how can i avoid buying excess wood for roofing . My neighbor roofed his house and had alot left on site . I hv no such money to waste . Kindly advise . Parapet coming next week , followed by wood work
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by soonest(f): 10:33pm On Feb 06, 2021
larryking540:

o wer edo how far,
how much be cement for benin now ,?

3300 at OGG depot at Oluku

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by soonest(f): 10:37pm On Feb 06, 2021
PAPAFEELERS:
Please people in the house, how can you classify this and what can be the recommended solution.

We gave a furniture maker NGN 200,000 as advance out of NGN 250,000 to make a set of chairs on the 1st Dec 2020. The. Furniture maker gave us as 20 Dec 2020 to deliver..

After so many promise and fail, we learnt today that the furniture maker made the furnitures but sold it and kept lying to us giving one excuse or the other.

It's really annoying and painful because he traded with my 200, 000 making profits and still he has not delivered the order from Dec 20, 2020 till now.

How can I get this furniture maker to feel the pain I am going thru because of his dishonesty and wickedness.

Please I need suggestions because if this people are not made to bear the consequences of their actions, such behavior will continues with more people falling victim.

Very painful something. Lock him up on a friday and bail him on monday. Then let him sign when he will deliver the furniture according to specifications. Let him make the furniture because 200k at December is no longer 200k now.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 11:38pm On Feb 06, 2021
soonest:

Very painful something. Lock him up on a friday and bail him on monday. Then let him sign when he will deliver the furniture according to specifications. Let him make the furniture because 200k at December is no longer 200k now.
that's the power we BIG MEN and WOMEN use in Nigeria. Locking him up throughout the weekend is ILLEGAL. He should just forgive and forget even tho we knew the man fumbled.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Architectsly: 11:58pm On Feb 06, 2021
[quote author=olaoye15 post=98814954]Hello my people.

I am planning to build a four bedroom bungalow in Ibadan. The project will be starting in a short time. I actually want to equip myself with the stages involved in the process from start to finish as I dont want to look like a novice around the engineer.

Can someone take me through the processes. For the foundation, I have already offloaded the following at the site.

30tons of Sharp sand
20 tons of granite (it looks like the granite is the upper type, can it serve the purpose)
40 bags of cement

I currently dont have the floor plan but experienced builders here can still give me a near estimate. It is a simple four bed, all in suit. Open kitchen, and a study.

Thank you.

I am

Hi,,
As for the foundation stage, u would be needing the following steps since some of your materials are ready ;:

#PRELIMINARIES
1. Site clearing: Amount to b determined on site.
2. Site pegging by the site Engineer or builder

#FOUNDATION
1. Digging or excavation, amount depends on the necessary arrangements since you want to be in charge which also includes foundation footings

2. Pouring of concrete (Blinding), all throughout d foundation trenches. Materials needed depends on ur 4bedroom design (plan)

3. Laying of foundation blocks from d foundation trenches above d ground level.
The number of course depends on d nature of d land.

4. D.P.C; This means concreting d total area of d floor surface to avoid moisture from d ground get into the wall.

Other materials needed includes reinforcements, formworks and starter plumbing works.

WhatsApp; Zero 81 three 67 four 123 eight

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 12:01am On Feb 07, 2021
zuraking:
that's the power we BIG MEN and WOMEN use in Nigeria. Locking him up throughout the weekend is ILLEGAL. He should just forgive and forget even tho we knew the man fumbled.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:08am On Feb 07, 2021
zuraking:

He should forgive and forget 200k? Give him the 200k na

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:43am On Feb 07, 2021
PAPAFEELERS:
Dear Bosses in the house I need some heads up on what’s you understand between Half Casing & Full Casing in Borehole.

I met a fellow landlord in the area I was building and he told me why go for FULL casing that the half casing is also good based on interactions he has had with geologists.

He said the rocks drilled cannot collapse but the sedimentary and sandy part will collapse hence the half casing will take care of this part hence one does not need to case the hard rock sections.

He also said some of this drillers can be tricky as they would know when the rock is struck and will use half casing and tell the client that its full casing they did for the client because the client had already paid for full casing. In this case the client loses because he paid for full casing but was given half casing.

Please what’s your thoughts on full casing and half casing in terms of advantages & disadvantages?

I greet you all sir/ma.

CC: N3xt, Rotech,Spyder, abdulwastexx, Egunmogaji, Hajji the Don, plus all the experienced men and women in the house. Please your contributions is highly needed.

I’ll spend my time researching a trustworthy expert drilling company.

Also it’s fairly easy to count how many casing they brought and how many they’re leaving with. You can balance the length to figure it how many feet they drilled.

Good luck on your project.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:46am On Feb 07, 2021
salisuammy:
Please patronize us. To avoid any confusion/fraud, You can even buy the materials yourself while we fabricate and install for you. You will pay for workmanship.
WhatsApp:08079749032
Call: 08079425571.
NB: I am marketing for my husband please.
God bless you

I’ll hit him up on WhatsApp.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:05am On Feb 07, 2021
lawyer:

@Skimamski, you have 24hrs to respond to this allegation. Nairaland properties would not be used as an avenue for fraud or obtaining under false pretext. If you do not give a cogent response to this complaint, you would be permanently banned from this forum and all your posts flagged. Further actions will be taken up with the authorities to press charges officially.

For far too long we have kept quiet here while so many architects and builders on this thread have taken advantage of unsuspecting people to receive money, do a shoddy job, and abscond with the money because you think Nairaland is a faceless forum to swindle people who patronize you after following your posts. It ends today. We would be taking a closer look at this thread to weed out scammers hiding behind a keyboard.

24 hours and watch Nairaland Moderators in action.

The awakening. I’m liking this. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:06am On Feb 07, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/
My problem is all these pictures picked from foreign websites. However when given the job, the quality of finishing leaves a lot to deserve.

Why not post pictures of your real works?
/

100% in support.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:14am On Feb 07, 2021
gbadexy:

I feel your plight sir. I don't want to say anything to prejudice the case even though I got some disturbing informations now.
I blame clients who don't speak out when such cases occur to warn other potential clients from similar fate.
We still wait for a robust explanation from the accussed.

That’s partly why this keeps happening. People either don’t speak up or shyte is resolved through back door.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:21am On Feb 07, 2021
davodyguy:

It is one of you guys that under supplied me tiles at the same Agric Market in Orile.

Since you posted your name in full, his own name is Ebere and since December, he said he went to the village and yet to return even after more than one month.

How can you encourage people to come to that same Agric market and be confident to deal with you guys?

A lot of people struggle to make money, yet some of us (Nigerians) are out to punish people

Not all of us are politicians, not all of us can swallow cocaine of do fraud.

With our genuine hustle, is it right for us to be cheated?

They put it in weave on hair now.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:07am On Feb 07, 2021
Rexceedo:

No sketch boss.

Thanks anyway.
He's quoting 500k for Labor and Supervision till DPC

Are you implying you're building that sort of structure without doing a (proper)design( not even a handy sketch)...........

Interesting.......
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:12am On Feb 07, 2021
zuraking:
that's the power we BIG MEN and WOMEN use in Nigeria. Locking him up throughout the weekend is ILLEGAL. [b]He should just forgive and forget [/b]even tho we knew the man fumbled.

The bold is interesting.....
Is that the best advice you can give.......

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KIDfurniture(m): 5:41am On Feb 07, 2021
Na you fk.. why would you pay such amount to an animal . I will never pay for anything rhaf is not available for immediate pick up.. God forbid.. my brother you may lose that money oh since he already knows u are a peaceful human being. Did u get a receipt ? Hope the payment was made through transfer ? Abi na cash u give am ? Well for men like us , I go first beat am up b4 going through the normal process.

PAPAFEELERS:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by larryking540: 6:04am On Feb 07, 2021
soonest:

3300 at OGG depot at Oluku

okay thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by larryking540: 6:04am On Feb 07, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

Which area for Benin good to look for Land now?

may be by pass
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by larryking540: 6:05am On Feb 07, 2021
princenomics:
N3,500:00 as at yesterday.
okay thanks man
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 6:37am On Feb 07, 2021
olaoye15:
Hello my people.

30tons of Sharp sand
40 bags of cement

Thank you.

I am
Blocks too.
Though the depth of foundation too influences the amount of materials to be used.
We are OAK Group and we reside in Ibadan, We do architectural works and building supervision.
We Could be helpful if you need are service.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:59am On Feb 07, 2021
olaoye15:
Hello my people.

30tons of Sharp sand
40 bags of cement

Thank you.

I am

Congratulations on your new project!

Please do not get involved because of the above alone. Get involved because you’re the project director. Even though you don’t know everything about building, this forum and others can help you achieve your building project without worries.

Don’t be forward. Try and work with your engineer. I’d rather work with an engineer on the build route (owner managed, contractor managed or owner-contractor managed)/scope of work than going on a full-fledged contract.

To your question about stages of work, here’s something you should be on the look out for (foundation to roofing only) if you want to avoid surprises. No technical jargons grin

We are working on a project management checklist at kobocity.com for self builders and homeowners who want to be directly involved in their project. Once it’s ready, I’ll update this platform.

Stages of Work

1. Preliminary Works (Site Clearing/Preparation)

- Site Clearing
- Site Store Construction
- Marking Out/Staking out building area
- Water connection
- Delivery of materials for the substructure works (planks, iron rods, sand, granite, blocks, cement etc)
- Setting out/Profiling
- Excavation/Blinding

2. Ground Breaking/Formwork/Reinforcement

- Starter columns and column base
- Block Setting (Foundation Wall)
- Boarding of the Starter Columns
- Casting of the Starter Columns

3. Sand Filling/Surface Treatment

- Sand Filling
- Wetting/Ramming/Compacting
- Damproofing
- First fix mechanical works
- Carpentry works (Boarding of the vertical sides of the DPC)

4. Casting of the DPC (german floor)

5. Block Setting/Casting of Beams, Columns and Lintels (Ground Floor)

- Materials arrangement (logistics) and delivery
- Block Setting
- Columns, beams and lintels formwork
- Reinforcement works
- Casting of beams, columns and lintels
- Mechanical/Electrical rough-in works

6. First Floor Slab Formwork/Reinforcement/casting

- Carpentry formwork (beams, slab, staircase etc)
- Reinforcement works
- Electrical and Mechanical rough-in works
- Casting of the slab

7. Block Setting/Casting of Beams, Columns, Lintels and Tank Slab (First Floor)
- Block work
- Columns, beams and lintels formwork
- Reinforcement works
- Casting of beams, columns and lintels
- Reinforcement/Carpentry works for the Tank Slab
- Casting of the Tank Slab (if you’re planning to have one).
- Mechanical/Electrical rough-in works

8. Roofing woodwork/aluminum installation

- Casting of roof beam/installation of parapet
- Roofing woodwork
- Roof Covering

I hope this helps.

_________
There are more resources to help first time homeowners here and on kobocity.com. Try and check them out.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:20am On Feb 07, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO2CK6Vnw0E

You can order your stirrups, starter bars, lintel reinforcements (made to measurement) from us.

Our rates are are very affordable and our methods are different.

Call 0700-NEXTHOME

_______
Pic 1 - 4 (Starter columns prepared for @folmus project in Sagamu, Ogun state awaiting delivery.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 7:36am On Feb 07, 2021
rationalmind:

He should forgive and forget 200k? Give him the 200k na
the man didn't spend the 200k, he sold the chairs he made for him already and he wants to do another one(which will breach the pick up agreement date) any business man can do that(he used the opportunity). don't lets us be acting HOLY. People do worst

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:41am On Feb 07, 2021
BrabusNG:
It’s 48 hours since allegation was raised against Brabus and the simple request made was that the complainant should tell us how it happened.

I purposely asked so that I can know how to respond to the allegation.

Here’s my account (I do not have all the detailed information on the transaction here but I’ll give a brief account)

- Truly we were engaged to construct a fence in Ibeju Lekki area of Lagos state.

- We moved to site immediately we were mobilized.

- On getting to the site, I realized the land has not been cleared and I requested that it should be cleared so that we can know exactly the area we are working.

- The client engaged people to do that and we commence the fence work.

- We started with the right side (when facing land). However on getting midway, we found another old fence which shows someone has done something around that area before a very long time ago. This created a very useless piece of land in between the land we are working on and the old fence found in the bush.

- When we got to the back, we found another fence.

- I informed the client and we continued our job. We proceed to the frontal part of the land.

- As we were about getting to the point we were shown the land ended, some land urchins (omo onile) came to the site and stopped the work.

- I informed the client and he told me one person will come.

- We will get back to site, the dreary guys will accost us in the bush and send us away again and again.

- This continued for a very long time.

- Accessibility was a major issue on the site as we can’t get heavy truck to get to the main site, so we drop granite some distance away from the site.

- For every time we were stopped and left the site, we will notice our materials has been stolen before we got back to site.

- I used NextHome Dump Truck for the delivery of sand which was gotten at Okun, Ibeju Lekki Lagos. I had to park down the truck for weeks awaiting a permanent resolve.

- Whenever we get to site, a faction will tell us the land is here. Another will come and tell us something different. So completing the last side became almost an impossible mission.

- At a point we started digging a place and they told us the land was beyond the line.

- Sigh!!!

- Eventually we did the blinding and raising of 3rd side and the issue wasn’t resolved. The land wasn’t fully cleared. So we left.

- Months after I got a call from someone on behalf of the client and guess what it was DSS inviting me for fraud.

- I went there and they said the client said I collected his money and didn’t do his work. I smiled.

- My client can use DSS against me but can’t provide ordinary vigilante or police to protect us when we were being disturbed in the thick forest. What an irony!
Well, we are first Nigerian before we travel go obodo oyibo land.

- That I got a contract to construct a fence, does it automatically invested power of attorney in me to act anyhow on the land?

- My question has always been “What should I have done?”

- To continue working on the land when I’m not the land owner, not the surveyor, nor member of the omo onile family?

- To stage a serious fight against the omo oniles because I want to impress my client? If I die, I’d be given a state burial abi?

- To park my granite, sand and other materials in my bag and take them to safety until all issues are resolved?

- When the client asked for refund, I asked myself. Am I supposed to tell the granite supplier that “Sorry o! we didn’t use all the granite because omo onile stopped us so the client need a refund?”

- For anyone who’s familiar with Ibeju Lekki land urchin, you’ll know how dreary they are.

Let me stop here. Let’s hear from the other side.

Can I ask my Oga if all these claims are lies?

______

While we were on this project, my client made a double payment of over a million naira to my account and I called his attention to it and transferred the money back to him.

_______

Part 2: Communication Palava

A lot of people in diaspora do one funny thing I’d like to share. They’d use a line no one can reach them on to call their contractors/family members/friends etc so anytime there’s something urgent and important you have to wait for their call.

It’s the most useless thing I’ve ever seen. Please don’t work with people you don’t trust. Work with your family members or trusted allies and make communication as easy as possible.

Life is not difficult if we chose to live simple.

Isn’t it shocking that I just got to know the userid my client after almost 5 years? In fact, the userid just followed me 2 days ago undecided and we were working together on multi-million naira project.

More updates on this in Part 2.

_______

Part 3 - Photobomb

1) Calling dark Africa from the abroad is expensive so we us cheap services like Rebtel and Boss Revolution. Since it’s an IP based call it changes the phone number to one of theirs when making calls. The recipient sees the Rebtel number and it is temporary so it can’t be used to call back.

2) On my cheap lobug project inside a forest in Ibadan I bought a Tekno phone for my baba lati and programmed it with my us numbers. I recharge the data from the abroad so he can send me pictures at will.

3) It’s unbelievable the pressure from home so some choose to be inaccessible. Luckily I’m not from such a family.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:42am On Feb 07, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

That’s partly why this keeps happening. People either don’t speak up or shyte is resolved through back door.
My sentiments exactly sir but your statement should be directed to the actual clients with complaints.
It's not in my place to cry more than the bereaved or post hearsay I heard from a solid and reliable third-party.
Every one deserves a free hearing without comments that would bias the mind of the audience. There could be reasons not known to us.
The complainant should come out to give update and several others with complaints about other contractors should come out to warn others and be their brother's Keepers.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 7:42am On Feb 07, 2021
bixton:

The bold is interesting.....
Is that the best advice you can give.......
that's the advice I can give cos putting him in cell as a punishment for delaying his pick up date is ILLEGAL. A big man with a lawyer won't sleep a police cell for 24 hours even if he owes someone 200m in business dispute.

We big men use that to punish poor people after tipping stupidd policemen we have in Nigeria. How will you lock someone up throughout the weekend as punishment? It's bad even tho the furniture man fumbles.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:43am On Feb 07, 2021
Nero2424:

Next time charge your client in $, its a more stable currency.

Someone gave me 5M in 3 installment because he intend to buy cars but i told him he has the option to pay me in $ to buy the cars or pay me in =N=.

He choose to pay me in naira, This was when =N= was about 350. I made him understand his money is deposited as naira and whenever he gives me a go ahead to buy the cars I will work with the current exchange rate.

Ive used his money for my project long ago and replaced it when a $ was =N=500. If he changes his mind as asked for his money, I will give him =N=5M.

Thats what I did to stay on a safe lane because right now his 5M is not enough for all the cars he intend buying.

The only way I do things.

Frankly I don’t know why others do it the other way.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rexceedo: 7:49am On Feb 07, 2021
bixton:

Are you implying you're building that sort of structure without doing a (proper)design( not even a handy sketch)...........

Interesting.......
He's with the sketch.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:10am On Feb 07, 2021
gbadexy:

My sentiments exactly sir but your statement should be directed to the actual clients with complaints.
It's not in my place to cry more than the bereaved or post hearsay I heard from a solid and reliable third-party.
Every one deserves a free hearing without comments that would bias the mind of the audience. There could be reasons not known to us.
The complainant should come out to give update and several others with complaints about other contractors should come out to warn others and be their brother's Keepers.

It’s just a response to a comment on a thread. No more no less.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:14am On Feb 07, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

It’s just a response to a comment on a thread. No more no less.
Okay boss.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1978) (1979) (1980) (1981) (1982) (1983) (1984) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.