Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,271 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2017) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4433462 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2014) (2015) (2016) (2017) (2018) (2019) (2020) ... (3675) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:31pm On Feb 21, 2021
twinskenny:
Damn people living around akobo road ibadan how do you cope on a daily basis? The dust on that road is something else

What do you mean? grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sinorte: 2:54pm On Feb 21, 2021
Kindly reach out if you can make the TV stand below and/or any other similar designs.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 2:56pm On Feb 21, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

What do you mean? grin
lol saw something like this yesterday... with a man in suite o lol �

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 3:08pm On Feb 21, 2021
sinorte:
Kindly reach out if you can make the TV stand below and/or any other similar designs.

Contact Dominionng

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 3:17pm On Feb 21, 2021
LagosInter:

Please what's your view about buying apartments like a one bedroom in a block of flats?

I saw ones of 17-19m in Ikeja.

As places like Ikeja are fully built, buying an apartment in a dedicated block of flats could be a veritable option of musclesling ones way into a location one loves.

However, you need the services of a good conveyancing solicitor to clear up some very important issues before committing funds.

LEASEHOLDER
Who's the leaseholder? The leaseholder is the party that hold the lease to the building; not necessarily who built the building. Why is this important?

The leaseholder is responsible for the maintenance of the communial areas like the stairs, roof, parking areas, the external walls of the building etc. If the leaseholder is absent or irresponsible, over time the property will be left to disrepair and be devalued. For example is FESTAC Town. The FHA is the leaseholder but the FHA is very irresponsible and not alive to its responsibility, take a look at FESTAC Town today and compare to when FESTAC was FESTAC. The same with Jankande estates all over Lagos State.

LEASEHOLD/FREEHOLD
Is the property a leasehold or a freehold? If the property is a leasehold, what is the length of the lease? The lease could be from zero to 99 years or more.

The legal implications with leasehold is that despite coughing up 17m to buy the property, you are still a tenant. You need to renew your lease for example before 99 years with the leaseholder at sometimes considerable amount of money or the ownership of the property will revert back to the leaseholder.

GROUND RENT
How much is the ground rent per annum? And how does any increament calculated?

SERVICE CHARGE
How much is the service charge? The service charge is used to maintain the communial areas.

INTERNAL REPAIRS/CHANGES
In some situations, you can't carry out internal repair or changes without permission from the leaseholder. So ask you solicitor to clear this up.

All these will be included in the legal pack. So ask for the legal pack and give it to your solicitor to read and advise you accordingly.

If you are buying a flat in a dedicated block of flats or buying into an estate, you want to take the above scenarios seriously and consult a conveyancer before committing funds. Nigeria can be very challenging if you took a 'anyhow' approach to things like this. Ask some homeowners of their experience that bought into some estate arrangements in Nigeria and you will understand.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 3:56pm On Feb 21, 2021
zuraking:
where is your location in Lagos?
Ajah
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 3:58pm On Feb 21, 2021
topsy23:
@ n3xt pls check our thread for a power audit and revamp work in Portharcourt.

https://www.nairaland.com/1233943/contact-us-electrical-mechanical-plumbing/29

We are in the concluding part of the power audit in Portharcourt
Feel free to check it out to learn one or two things and we are also available for questions and clarification.

https://www.nairaland.com/1233943/contact-us-electrical-mechanical-plumbing/29

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 4:09pm On Feb 21, 2021
n3xt:

grin grin

Thanks sir. My client is reading this and I’m equally taking note.

If we were to rank contemporary lovers, I think my client will fall into the pro max level and I really enjoyed that.

May I ask if adding a sliding glass wall as shown in the inspiration pics below will fix the living room + courtyard flow? #JustAsking

wanted saying
n3xt:

grin grin

If we were to rank contemporary lovers, I think my client will fall into the [b]pro max
level and I really enjoyed that.

May I ask if adding a sliding glass wall as shown in the inspiration pics below will fix the living room + courtyard flow? #JustAsking

wanted saying [/b]
n3xt:

grin grin

If we were to rank contemporary lovers, I think my client will fall into the pro max level and I really enjoyed that.

wanted mentioning that but I just assumed that's what you will eventually put up there to give the gym even a perfect entry to the pool/pond area/courtyard.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 4:12pm On Feb 21, 2021
twinskenny:
cant see any ongoing construction o unless they are on holiday lol

they are actually working on it though we can say the pace is very very slow and the planning or schedule is not top notch.
it will definitely be like the bashorun/idi-ape road once completed, what can we do but to patiently wait n hope it ends rea soon
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:35pm On Feb 21, 2021
Horlardorjah:

wanted mentioning that but I just assumed that's what you will eventually put up there to give the gym even a perfect entry to the pool/pond area/courtyard.

Thanks for your input. Noted for action.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:41pm On Feb 21, 2021
n3xt:

grin grin

For all it’s worth, will you consider putting a water tank on the roof of your penthouse?

What are the odds? Why will you not do it?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 21, 2021
diordaves:

As places like Ikeja are fully built, buying an apartment in a dedicated block of flats could be a veritable option of musclesling ones way into a location one loves.

However, you need the services of a good conveyancing solicitor to clear up some very important issues before committing funds.

LEASEHOLDER
Who's the leaseholder? The leaseholder is the party that hold the lease to the building; not necessarily who built the building. Why is this important?

The leaseholder is responsible for the maintenance of the communial areas like the stairs, roof, parking areas, the external walls of the building etc. If the leaseholder is absent or irresponsible, over time the property will be left to disrepair and be devalued. For example is FESTAC Town. The FHA is the leaseholder but the FHA is very irresponsible and not alive to its responsibility, take a look at FESTAC Town today and compare to when FESTAC was FESTAC. The same with Jankande estates all over Lagos State.

LEASEHOLD/FREEHOLD
Is the property a leasehold or a freehold? If the property is a leasehold, what is the length of the lease? The lease could be from zero to 99 years or more.

The legal implications with leasehold is that despite coughing up 17m to buy the property, you are still a tenant. You need to renew your lease for example before 99 years with the leaseholder at sometimes considerable amount of money or the ownership of the property will revert back to the leaseholder.

GROUND RENT

SERVICE CHARGE
How much is the service charge? The service charge is used to maintain the communial areas.

INTERNAL REPAIRS/CHANGES
In some situations, you can't carry out internal repair or changes without permission from the leaseholder. So ask you solicitor to clear this up.

All these will be included in the legal pack. So ask for the legal pack and give it to your solicitor to read and advise you accordingly.

If you are buying a flat in a dedicated block of flats or buying into an estate, you want to take the above scenarios seriously and consult a conveyancer before committing funds. Nigeria can be very challenging if you took a 'anyhow' approach to things like this. Ask some homeowners of their experience that bought into some estate arrangements in Nigeria and you will understand.
Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:45pm On Feb 21, 2021
diordaves:

Ritualist ke?

Pinkin wey dem carry for back no know say road far.

If you are into manufacturing (value added) production (think Dangote Cement andRefinery, think Emzor, think old money: Eliganza products), [i]small pickin [/i]go think end of year profit declaration na ritual money.

In Nigeria at current development level, if you can get right any value added production, uninformed people will think the benefits are not real and attribute it to occultic and the spiritual. It is not. It is economics. People are making real good money in Nigeria from clean legal enterprise.

Seems you live abroad?

Btw you write well.

I read your comment on my Treasury bills thread.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mixter(m): 5:17pm On Feb 21, 2021
twinskenny:
Damn people living around akobo road ibadan how do you cope on a daily basis? The dust on that road is something else
We dey carry 3 cloth commot na . Two for dust and one for office grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:20pm On Feb 21, 2021
n3xt:

For all it’s worth, will you consider putting a water tank on the roof of your penthouse?

It sounds good but its a very bad idea in the long run. The tank will eventually overflow, piss all over the area and then stuff will start growing. It never fails. Yes I know their are tank pans that one can install but this is Nigeria.

If Madam Client wants new age she can always bury a tank inside a concrete pit under the car park and then pump the water out using a pressure pump.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:20pm On Feb 21, 2021
mixter:

We dey carry 3 cloth commot na . Two for dust and one for office grin
grin grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mixter(m): 5:22pm On Feb 21, 2021
twinskenny:
grin grin
Welcome to ibadan by the way.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sinorte: 5:24pm On Feb 21, 2021
topsy23:

Contact Dominionng

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 5:25pm On Feb 21, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:26pm On Feb 21, 2021
mixter:

Welcome to ibadan by the way.
thanks boss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:31pm On Feb 21, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

It sounds good but its a very bad idea in the long run. The tank will eventually overflow, piss all over the area and then stuff will start growing. It never fails. Yes I know their are tank pans that one can install but this is Nigeria.

If Madam Client wants new age she can always bury a tank inside a concrete pit under the car park and then pump the water out using a pressure pump.

Mo ya look away. My client appreciates your comment and valuable contribution sir grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:33pm On Feb 21, 2021
Horlardorjah:

they are actually working on it though we can say the pace is very very slow and the planning or schedule is not top notch.
it will definitely be like the bashorun/idi-ape road once completed, what can we do but to patiently wait n hope it ends rea soon
oh ok
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 5:38pm On Feb 21, 2021
diordaves:

LEASEHOLDER

LEASEHOLD/FREEHOLD

GROUND RENT

SERVICE CHARGE

INTERNAL REPAIRS/CHANGES

This is deep, how many people consider doing a deeper research into the lease holders of many estates springing around? these are the reasons many estates never keep to the standard they started with, if many buyers go through some of those lease documents they may find many of those estates were not even well documented in the land acquisitions. Many of the lease holders only exists on the paper from experience, after all this there is a lot of hidden exorbitant fees and many of these buyers may not realize their tenant in their so called homes they purchased.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 6:03pm On Feb 21, 2021
n3xt:

That is exactly what I'm doing right now, the plan is imbedded from the foundation all the way to the penthouse roof with solid pillars that can carry 2,000 liters of water. The design is just like building a water tank with H beam all the way to the letin on of the penthouse where those tanks will be sitting. Dennis 3D DESIGINS is the architect behind the design, you can talk to him.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:08pm On Feb 21, 2021
kopell:
That is exactly what I'm doing right now, the plan is imbedded from the foundation all the way to the penthouse roof with solid pillars that can carry 2,000 liters of water. The design is just like building a water tank with H beam all the way to the lint on of the penthouse where those tanks will be sitting. Dennis 3D DESIGIN is the architect behind the design, you can talk to him.

@dennis3D it’s time to give back. cool

I had a similar idea in mind for the BQ. I just don’t know how crazy my client would allow me to go grin I can do something with steel

Baba Egunmogaji2, are you with me on the tank tower idea below?

Thanks Baba Kopell for sharing with us.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:13pm On Feb 21, 2021
n3xt:

@dennis3D it’s time to give back. cool

I had a similar idea in mind for the BQ. I just don’t know how crazy my client would allow me to go grin I can do something with steel

Baba Egunmogaji2, are you with me on the tank tower idea below?

Thanks Baba Kopell for sharing with us.

I watched the episode of this tower tank on Grand Designs.

I especially like reconverted structures. I salivated over Odutola Tire in Oke Ado as it’ll make fantastic condos but I refuse to do anything with loans in Nigeria. Besides I’m retired cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:15pm On Feb 21, 2021
LagosInter:

Seems you live abroad?

Btw you write well.

I read your comment on my Treasury bills thread.

Thanks. I live full time abroad and part time in Nigeria.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:19pm On Feb 21, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I especially like reconverted structures. I salivated over Odutola Tire in Oke Ado as it’ll make fantastic condos but I refuse to do anything with loans in Nigeria. Besides I’m retired cheesy

My client agree with you completely.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:23pm On Feb 21, 2021
kopell:
This is deep, how many people consider doing a deeper research into the lease holders of many estates springing around? these are the reasons many estates never keep to the standard they started with, if many buyers go through some of those lease documents they may find many of those estates were not even well documented in the land acquisitions. Many of the lease holders only exists on the paper from experience, after all this there is a lot of hidden exorbitant fees and many of these buyers may not realize their tenant in their so called homes they purchased.

So true. In Nigeria we could do more to seek legal advice before rushing into property. All too often, so many think solicitors fee is a corner that could be cut with disastrous consequences. A solicitor is as important in a project as the architect and structural engineer.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 6:29pm On Feb 21, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

You retired ke, you way just start new fabricating construction company in Ibadan

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:33pm On Feb 21, 2021
kopell:
You retired ke, you way just start new fabricating construction company in Ibadan

Retired Extremely Dangerous (R.E.D)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:42pm On Feb 21, 2021
Help my contemporary clients decide on staircase design

Which would you choose and why?

I’ve done and showcase No. 4 here before. It’s cool but these days I’d favour trendy steel staircase over concrete staircase.

My heart goes with the simplicity of No. 1

(1) (2) (3) ... (2014) (2015) (2016) (2017) (2018) (2019) (2020) ... (3675) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.