Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,710 members, 7,813,347 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2049) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4378675 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2046) (2047) (2048) (2049) (2050) (2051) (2052) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:47am On Mar 12, 2021
erico2k2:

Interesting, I had the same problem with my house in North London however we have a few tricks to go round its, instead of going up we go down, is this not achievable? you excavate the whole base and build from there instead

I actually went up but straight into the roof with a double volume room.

I’m having a similar design in my current build. From outside you’re seeing a storey building but inside is 3 levels.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:52am On Mar 12, 2021
n3xt:

I actually went up but straight into the roof with a double volume room.

I’m having a similar design in my current build. From outside you’re seeing a storey building but inside is 3 levels.
Yeah I know what that is, I think you and I had these talk years back, I can see o be from my window will attach a pic just now. But how are you going to do with your now thine loft? I mean heat? are you going to insulate cos you know the heat with inside ceiling
Spot the Sky window?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:27am On Mar 12, 2021
erico2k2:

Yeah I know what that is, I think you and I had these talk years back, I can see o be from my window will attach a pic just now. But how are you going to do with your now thine loft? I mean heat? are you going to insulate cos you know the heat with inside ceiling
Spot the Sky window?

grin grin

Later tonight sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:42am On Mar 12, 2021
n3xt:

grin grin

Later tonight sir.
waiting patiently more than a vulture grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by waley007(m): 11:45am On Mar 12, 2021
uncleteeh:

Precast one is the one that has been moulded and will mainly be hung on the wall.
A lot of differences, the precast is less expensive, no formwork needed, lighter reinforcement.
Below are pictures of cast in-situ concrete fascia (parapet)
the cast in-situ concrete fascia (parapet) is preferable by me , I belief it will last longer and better and that's what I want , want to see and monitor the way each job is done myself
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 12:50pm On Mar 12, 2021
micgray100:
eil
Interior Design is a field on it own... Professional in building just dazzle Into it base on client's specifications.. At the end .. it may look good to the client, but not pleasant to general public... At this stage, who is to be blamed?..

My Two Cent... Engr. Gbenga

You are right. I am not an interior designer but once I see an eye - catching design, I know.

I could as well create my own design from scratch.

n3xt is excellent with minimal designs - both interior and exterior. The more lean a POP or TV stand is, the more appealing ambience it radiates.

Well, each to his own. What you may consider grotesque may be a pride to someone else.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:03pm On Mar 12, 2021
Focusmind:

You are right. I am not an interior designer but once I see an eye - catching design, I know.

I could as well create my own design from scratch.

n3xt is excellent with minimal designs - both interior and exterior. The more lean a POP or TV stand is, the more appealing ambience it radiates.

Well, each to his own. What you may consider grotesque may be a pride to someone else.

This is why I keep kwayet.

I’m very minimalistic so for me “less is more”. Not really a fan of too much flash. Am I watching TV or a trance inducing light show?

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 1:24pm On Mar 12, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I’m very minimalistic so for me “less is more”. Not really a fan of too much flash. Am I watching TV or a trance inducing light show?

Coupled with the rate of public power supply.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sconp: 1:25pm On Mar 12, 2021
n3xt:

I was engaged to do a build in an estate that has a lot of restrictions on how and what can be built.
On this particular build, the major challenge is height restriction. You cannot have 3 floors regardless the size of your land.

The project designer was informed about this and was asked to redesign the project to satisfy the estate’s building requirements.

This took almost 1 year of back-n-forth and revisions with the estate’s design team. It was at this point I was engaged to redesign the first floor to reflect and achieve the proposed changes.

I engaged about 2 architects here that couldn’t get the job done until I met the young lad who introduced the concept of a double volume rooms in the upper floor. He also proposed the use of steel for the proposed slabs.

We met the estate’s requirements and was also able to achieve our goals.

______

To get approval for building in this estate is harder than getting approval from Lagos state.

Interesting. Reads more like the guy is an architect rather than a structural guy.

Thanks for the breakdown.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 2:20pm On Mar 12, 2021
Good morning Nairalanders,
Happy new month. I have been away for some period due to job assignment. I hope you are all doing fine.
Please I need help in evaluating this quotation for the plumbing work . 4 full bathrooms and one visitor's bathroom and a kitchen.

Thank you all for your help

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 2:40pm On Mar 12, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Grand Khandi, you know, I borrowed your words in that last paragraph you quoted. cool

If it is not simple, then it is not worth it for me. By the way, these pictures are breath-taking. The problem is getting the person with the right tools and detailing to replicate the internet pictures. It is always difficult.

What you ordered Vs. What you got always has a wide difference. Any way, there are still fantastic guys doing beautiful stuffs.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:02pm On Mar 12, 2021
sconp:

Interesting. Reads more like the guy is an architect rather than a structural guy.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Yeah so it seems but unfortunately he’s not.

There’s a limit to what I can share on the build though.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinola98: 3:17pm On Mar 12, 2021
n3xt:

I was engaged to do a build in an estate that has a lot of restrictions on how and what can be built.
On this particular build, the major challenge is height restriction. You cannot have 3 floors regardless the size of your land.

The project designer was informed about this and was asked to redesign the project to satisfy the estate’s building requirements.

This took almost 1 year of back-n-forth and revisions with the estate’s design team. It was at this point I was engaged to redesign the first floor to reflect and achieve the proposed changes.

I engaged about 2 architects here that couldn’t get the job done until I met the young lad who introduced the concept of a double volume rooms in the upper floor. He also proposed the use of steel for the proposed slabs.

We met the estate’s requirements and was also able to achieve our goals.

______

To get approval for building in this estate is harder than getting approval from Lagos state.

I agree with u that it could be more challenging to get approval within an estate compared to the state ....because am presently going through the process of adjusting and amending drawings ..... mine estate just shortly before the Ajah flyover bridge.... same estate as urs??

Anyway, if u could throw more light on the double volume room, it could be very helpful. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:20pm On Mar 12, 2021
XL6 Trillion | Atrium House by NextHome

Don’t forget to check us out https://www.kobocity.com/d/157-construction-journal-xl6-trillion-atrium-house-by-nexthome/27

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:27pm On Mar 12, 2021
Focusmind:

Grand Khandi, you know, I borrowed your words in that last paragraph you quoted. cool

If it is not simple, then it is not worth it for me. By the way, these pictures are breath-taking. The problem is getting the person with the right tools and detailing to replicate the internet pictures. It is always difficult.

What you ordered Vs. What you got always has a wide difference. Any way, there are still fantastic guys doing beautiful stuffs.

Hence why I took up welding and rekindled my woodworking. I’ll probably never build a stanchion or gate but will fabricate little pieces.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 3:32pm On Mar 12, 2021
Jasobry:
Please who can fabricate this doors should indicate.. let's discuss.
It’s imported and assembled. I just did something similar but for bathroom
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 3:46pm On Mar 12, 2021
sonnie10:

Please can you share details?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 3:53pm On Mar 12, 2021
Jasobry:

Please can you share details?

Give me about an hour to get the picture..
Buy the aluminum rail components and they will cut it to size.
The glass comes in different design size
The handle also must be included.
Some people sell them as set, but considered if that would give you a discount compared with buying individual parts. Also be careful to get matching colors or tone of the metal if you plan on getting them separately.
You can get them on eBay, Amazon, alibaba, Orile building materials market.
Budget 200k or more

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:55pm On Mar 12, 2021
Putting Nnamdi to test on kobocity’s first self build project.

You need to see it all here: https://www.kobocity.com/d/80-first-time-owner-builder/161

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:01pm On Mar 12, 2021
akinola98:

I agree with u that it could be more challenging to get approval within an estate compared to the state ....because am presently going through the process of adjusting and amending drawings ..... mine estate just shortly before the Ajah flyover bridge.... same estate as urs??

Anyway, if u could throw more light on the double volume room, it could be very helpful. Thanks

Not the same estate but I know the estate you’re talking about and their deed restrictions.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 5:34pm On Mar 12, 2021
sonnie10:

nope, it's not imported and assembled sir/ma. Aluminum people do it, the glass is tempered and the holes where the sliding mechanism fits in are done from factory, they just buy the roller accessories and frost the glass if the client so wish otherwise they leave it plain n one can see through. I can get one of my man to do it for you.

I guess the one u are referring to is either a sauna or enclosed showed cubicle.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redcliff: 5:38pm On Mar 12, 2021
topsy23:
@ n3xt check it out

If I can afford you then you’ll wire my next project.
yea would have also liked to work with him but i couldnt afford his service
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 5:43pm On Mar 12, 2021
Horlardorjah:

nope, it's not imported and assembled sir/ma. Aluminum people do it, the glass is tempered and the holes where the sliding mechanism fits in are done from factory, they just buy the roller accessories and frost the glass if the client so wish otherwise they leave it plain n one can see through. I can get one of my man to do it for you.

I guess the one u are referring to is either a sauna or enclosed showed cubicle.
I am taking about how I did the one in my house
Oga all those parts you mentioned are they manufactured in Nigeria? I mean, the rollers, frame, and glass?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by qwertyboss(m): 6:33pm On Mar 12, 2021
abdulwastecx:

Sorry bro, what is the question again?
I need someone to connect me with an engineer in Kano for internship to gain more experience and someone here suggested that you might be of help...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:45pm On Mar 12, 2021
@n3xt

I picked up a combination ruler yesterday. It’s been sitting for years in my sellers shop. I had to explain to him how it works cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:22pm On Mar 12, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Hence why I took up welding and rekindled my woodworking. I’ll probably never build a stanchion or gate but will fabricate little pieces.
My brother you can build a gate l mean better gate if you take evening welding classes at retirement age lol.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by waley007(m): 7:25pm On Mar 12, 2021
uncleteeh:

Precast one is the one that has been moulded and will mainly be hung on the wall.
A lot of differences, the precast is less expensive, no formwork needed, lighter reinforcement.
Below are pictures of cast in-situ concrete fascia (parapet)
what what's the advantage or disadvantage between the two , seems to me the precast may not last or strong
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:28pm On Mar 12, 2021
EgunMogaji2:
@n3xt

I picked up a combination ruler yesterday. It’s been sitting for years in my sellers shop. I had to explain to him how it works cheesy
Egun, explain to who? how it can be used? I hope is not your baba Lati sha ooo, probably he never seen one like that before lol.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by waley007(m): 7:29pm On Mar 12, 2021
spyder880:

Good explanation, now this is a sample of precast work when completed.
what what's the advantage or disadvantage between the two , seems to me the precast may not last or strong
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:32pm On Mar 12, 2021
EgunMogaji2:
@n3xt

It’s well!

I gave my iron bender a gift from Bosch and he was like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:33pm On Mar 12, 2021
waley007:
Yes it can last if it done right, big difference when the bill land on your table. I’ll let oga sypder880 explain

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:19pm On Mar 12, 2021
n3xt:

Pls call me when you get to read this

Thanks.
Your delivery, thanks for patronage

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2046) (2047) (2048) (2049) (2050) (2051) (2052) ... (3664) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.