Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2097) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4401262 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2094) (2095) (2096) (2097) (2098) (2099) (2100) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by qwertyboss(m): 11:54am On Apr 05, 2021
diordaves:

I'm NOT a structural engineer, but I think your diagnosis may be closer to what is happening. Like you said, he should observe the cracks for a couple of months. The cracks may turn out to be historical and won't crack further.

From the picture sent, I think the 'coping' on the fence is puting pressure on the fence wall, so each partition is settling deferencially from the cast columns as a result of poor blinding. This is the reasonable explanation as both sides of each partition are cracking. This is not a case of the partitions contrasting away from the cast columns.

Or could it be poor mortar mix resulting in poor bonding of the partitions to the cast columns?

I suspect when putting up the fence, the blinding was poor because na ordinary fence and cement don dear, so no need to spend so much to achieve the recommended thickness of the blinding.
I did go with this...
even from the nature of the crack one can tell wether it's the culumn that is moving or the walls around it.
if the cracks is wider at the top of the beam then the walls are the one settling but if it's wider at the bottom then the culumn is the one settling base on static geometry

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fabulous85: 11:57am On Apr 05, 2021
Aforxzy:

From the pix , this doesn't look like a structural failure. You should have been more careful when chiselling the wall. The elongation of the cracks might be due to the force applied while chiselling... .

The inital crack could be as a result of settlement of the buliding which is expected with usage and age..

Re plastering the affected area should suffice unless it becomes wider ...... Then involve a structural enginer.
thanks, I agree.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fabulous85: 11:58am On Apr 05, 2021
qwertyboss:
not much of a problem there but the pillar is not serving it purpose...
I think poor compaction leads to the slippage...
base on the nature of how those pillars are set
thanks, I agree.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 05, 2021
How soon can you get someone to measure a job in Awka. I need your contact.
money121:

Yes sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by joungblood(m): 12:47pm On Apr 05, 2021
2 houses for sale at ota, obasanjo Farm side, very good deal...one is 6 unit of room and parlor apartment, all en-suite and tiles, with water and good power supply, and with 8 shops, on a 1 and half plot of land, with enough space for more building project or for car parking.
The place is so big, it leads to 2 streets, it has front entrance and a back entrance too
.. Tenants already in all....

Second is a set back building of a 2 bedroom flat and a room and parlor sefcon at the back of the 2 bedroom, with enough space at the front to build more flat,, all compounds are fenced with gate, tiled, water and stable light..asking price for this one is 16m, this is a good deal, keep your money in real estate and thank me later...
Serious buyers are welcome for inspection and anyone that brings or recommend a buy will get some percentage..

Dm For pictures/videos
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yungmin: 1:04pm On Apr 05, 2021
qwertyboss:

it don't...
it depicts a frame structure but its not a frame structure.
If it were a true frame the settlement would be uniform not just the culums moving.
A typical frame structure is the one errected without walls but purely the structural members... you ought to have seen that before

You are not correct please!! A beam/column and foundation connected monolithically is a frame structure regardless of the construction procedure. More so, a "frame" structure in your terms does not settle uniformly when isolated footings are used without foundation beams. There is always that risk of differential settlement when isolated footings are used. And that is why your pad sizes must be adequate to limit it. Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 1:45pm On Apr 05, 2021
n3xt:
Updates: Ogun Affordable Home Scheme

Attn: Subscribers

- Some receipt are ready. Please kindly get in touch to confirm if your receipt is ready.

- Sales of form is temporarily on hold for now. It may resume in the upper week.

- New schemes have commenced in Siun, Iperu, Ijebu Ode, Otta.

- Those who have received their receipt can start making payments.

- Prince Court, Abeokuta is fully ready for habitation. I’ll do a tour of the project sometimes next week on kobocity.com

- For more details, follow us on https://www.kobocity.com/d/55-informationupdates-on-various-low-cost-housing-schemes

_______

Pic 1&2 - Prince Court

Update: Ogun Affordable Home Scheme

Attn: Those who picked Kobape on their housing form should kindly visit the Ministry of Housing, Abeokuta, Ogun State to pick their offer letter.

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by qwertyboss(m): 1:54pm On Apr 05, 2021
yungmin:

You are not correct please!! A beam/column and foundation connected monolithically is a frame structure regardless of the construction procedure. More so, a "frame" structure in your terms does not settle uniformly when isolated footings are used without foundation beams. There is always that risk of differential settlement when isolated footings are used. And that is why your pad sizes must be adequate to limit it. Thank you
in our case, how is the beam and column monolithically connected when the pillar is moving away from the beam?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yungmin: 2:06pm On Apr 05, 2021
qwertyboss:

in our case, how is the beam and column monolithically connected when the pillar is moving away from the beam?

This is poor construction or detailing. It is not supposed to be that the column would separate from the beam.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fabulous85: 2:10pm On Apr 05, 2021
diordaves:

I'm NOT a structural engineer, but I think your diagnosis may be closer to what is happening. Like you said, he should observe the cracks for a couple of months. The cracks may turn out to be historical and won't crack further.

From the picture sent, I think the 'coping' on the fence is puting pressure on the fence wall, so each partition is settling deferencially from the cast columns as a result of poor blinding. This is the reasonable explanation as both sides of each partition are cracking. This is not a case of the partitions contrasting away from the cast columns.

Or could it be poor mortar mix resulting in poor bonding of the partitions to the cast columns?

I suspect when putting up the fence, the blinding was poor because na ordinary fence and cement don dear, so no need to spend so much to achieve the recommended thickness of the blinding.
It is actually incompetence on the part of the Engr. surpervising the job. I dont compromise on materials
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by qwertyboss(m): 2:14pm On Apr 05, 2021
yungmin:

This is poor construction or detailing. It is not supposed to be that the column would separate from the beam.
that's my point, am only referring to this particular scenario as not a frame structure because it behaves not as one...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 2:16pm On Apr 05, 2021
@Gbadexy

Why is the paint job on my fence fading faster than what’s on the building?

I’ve had to repaint the fence 3 times in 8 years and haven’t had to repaint the main building at all since it was painted 8 years ago.
I know the same quality of paint was used on the walls though we used Grafitex paint and stone wall tiles on the lower part of the building but the upper part had the same emulsion used on the fence.

I’m already feeling like repainting the fence the 4th time lipsrsealed

What could be the reason why the fence is fading faster?

_______

Pic 1 | Current pic of the building. Never retouched or repainted.

Pic 2 - 3 | Paint job on the fence 8 years ago and current look after 3rd retouch.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sconp: 5:00pm On Apr 05, 2021
BrabusNG:

Until you deal with the main cause of the crack, this is bound to reoccur.

Here’s something from a friend’s project at OPIC Isheri.

There were no cracks on the building 10 years ago but as at today continuous percolation of water around the building has caused a huge damage to the building that it’s in the verge of brink of partial failure.
The crack from the second picture down looks to be more than just water percolation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 5:55pm On Apr 05, 2021
BrabusNG:
@Gbadexy

I’ve had to repaint the fence 3 times in 8 years and haven’t had to repaint the main building at all since it was painted 8 years ago.
I know the same quality of paint was used on the walls though we used Grafitex paint and stone wall tiles on the lower part of the building but the upper part had the same emulsion used on the fence.

_______

Pic 2 - 3 | Paint job on the fence 8 years ago and current look after 3rd retouch.

Cheap Paint

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 6:03pm On Apr 05, 2021
Mup4life:
thnk you each cairton contains how many pieces?
8pcs which is 1.42m²
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:07pm On Apr 05, 2021
GoodFaith:

Cheap Paint

But he said it’s the same quality of paint used on the wall and the house though.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 7:08pm On Apr 05, 2021
BrabusNG:
Lafarge Cement is 2900 in Sagamu as at 2 days ago but I’m not able to explore that option due to the size of my project and the time requirements.

I’m still comfortable getting Dangote at 3200 (ex delivery) from a local stockist. I’ll try to save elsewhere grin

Baba, how far Larfarge to Shagamu?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 7:21pm On Apr 05, 2021
folmus:

Baba, how far Larfarge to Shagamu?

Cement not available now. I’ll let you know when there’s stock.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 7:27pm On Apr 05, 2021
Perhaps, difference in exposure to sunlight cause the effect.
EgunMogaji2:

But he said it’s the same quality of paint used on the wall and the house though.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 7:53pm On Apr 05, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

He might be right though cos I just realized that we screeded all the external walls prior to painting except the fence.
I’m guessing the screeding helped the cheap paint.

Abolarin91:
Perhaps, difference in exposure to sunlight cause the effect.

This is also not impossible.

______

Pic - screeded wall prior to painting

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 7:59pm On Apr 05, 2021
Bro.

The effect of weathering and rain on the surface. The main house is protected by the roof shade and impermeability or wash of rain water. Back in the old days, our forefathers used to build little roof over the fence to protect it from climate.

BrabusNG:
@Gbadexy

_______

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 8:38pm On Apr 05, 2021
true2home:
Bro.

The effect of weathering and rain on the surface. The main house is protected by the roof shade and impermeability or wash of rain water. Back in the old days, our forefathers used to build little roof over the fence to protect it from climate.

Hehe! Japanese style

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:55pm On Apr 05, 2021
BrabusNG:
@Gbadexy

_______

The paint on the building is protected from the wind driven rain by the roof while the fence has little protection to break the force of torrential rainfall.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by henrymor: 11:56pm On Apr 05, 2021
Hi Fam,

Please, I need some information.

1. Is it tiling before doors or doors before tiling

2. I don't like flooring the whole compound. I love greenery. Can I floor the driveway alone and use artificial grass for the other places?

3. Which is better artificial or natural grass?

Thank you!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KelvinCoaster(m): 5:25am On Apr 06, 2021
henrymor:
Hi Fam,

2. I don't like flooring the whole compound. I love greenery. Can I floor the driveway alone and use artificial grass for the other places?

Thank you!
These are interesting questions.
They look like JAMB questions too!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 5:37am On Apr 06, 2021
henrymor:

Tiling before door.

Yes, you can. You own the house and you’re at liberty to do whatever pleases you.

Both are good but they serve different purposes. If you’re like me who don’t have time to do lawn, I’d advice you stay with artificial grass.

It’s not easy maintaining a lawn. Not cheap either.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:14am On Apr 06, 2021
henrymor:
Hi Fam,

Thank you!
bro it's doors before tiling. The tiler will use the level of the door for his work thereby ensuring there's no unnecessary gap below.

Another thing is that you don't have to deal with breaking the tiles to fit the door. This is my limited experience with working with doors and tilers. Some probably have an improved idea

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 7:23am On Apr 06, 2021
michlins:
bro it's doors before tiling. The tiler will use the level of the door for his work thereby ensuring there's no unnecessary gap below.

Another thing is that you don't have to deal with breaking the tiles to fit the door. This is my limited experience with working with doors and tilers. Some probably have an improved idea

Iron doors right?

With wooden doors, I won’t even fix my doors until after painting. The subframes alone will suffice. No stains, no worries.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:30am On Apr 06, 2021
BrabusNG:

Iron doors right?

With wooden doors, I won’t even fix my doors until after painting. The subframes alone will suffice. No stains, no worries.
the frames are what's important in every door. Once you ha g frame, you already hanged the door

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 7:46am On Apr 06, 2021
michlins:
the frames are what's important in every door. Once you ha g frame, you already hanged the door

Here’s the way it work here.

Pic 1 - Subframe installed during carcassing/plastering

Pic 2 - Door Frame

Pic 3 - Door and architrave without the glass and accessories.

Pic 4 - Door installed after tiling. Glass/locks etc are installed after final touches on the door.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:01am On Apr 06, 2021
Good morning from here obodo Nigeria. Chai cement ₦4,500. No good reason for scarcity. We are our problem in Nigeria. Man made scarcity, reduce production, demand & supply determine market price.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2094) (2095) (2096) (2097) (2098) (2099) (2100) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.