Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,483 members, 7,816,143 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2282) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4387064 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2279) (2280) (2281) (2282) (2283) (2284) (2285) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:08pm On Jun 23, 2021
abdulwastecx:

Prefab homes are great but no one in the west will allow purely starked home up to 6 storeys simply because it's not safe to live in.

China and the Soviet build some of the shittiest construction, endangering the life of their people simply because regulations are non-existent in those climes.

When building a high rise, gravity load is a lesser consign than wind load and its effect on the building. How would a stalked building behave when the wind comes calling?

Spot on. That will not fly here in the UK. You will not get planning permission, no mortgage, no insurance. Like you, I will not live in such a home. Very communist-era concrete prefab. Yes: It is a shitty building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Stevo30: 2:09pm On Jun 23, 2021
There are a lot prebfabricated houses around. Right in front of my house is a mini estate of 6 (no) 4-story 3bedrooms pre fabricated houses built by Federal government in the 90s for civil servants in Abuja. The houses were sold by the Obasanjo administration in mid-2000s. The structures are still standing solid. To address mass housing deficit in this country, we need to look in the direction automating our building process. I live mostly in Abuja and I see a lot of good things done in the past by government. How we abandoned good practices I don't understand.
bixton:

How many Nigerians do you think would want to really actually literally live in a prefabricated home even if you make it free?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:15pm On Jun 23, 2021
BiigTee:
Can you all see the amount of concrete that was cast to level the decking the a professional claimed to have supervised! No, look at it and tell me why I should feel happy! 10" of thick concrete! Even thicker than decking which is usually 6"

I don't really know the background story but since I saw this in my mention I decided to pick an interest.
My question is did the engineer gave you the reason for adding an extra 250mm (10"wink to the existing slab other than the vibration of the slab?

What are the dimensions of the rooms that are vibrating? Since vibration normally results from inadequate slab thickness, inadequate and poor detailing of reinforcement. Adding a thicker slab of only mass concrete on existing concrete without any reinforcement may not really help, in fact, it may add more problems to the structure. Because this slab is now carrying more load than it was anticipated to carry.

Also, if you can share more pictures, a better diagnosis can be given.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:22pm On Jun 23, 2021
diordaves:

Spot on. That will not fly here in the UK. You will not get planning permission, no mortgage, no insurance. Like you, I will not live in such a home. Very communist-era concrete prefab. Yes: It is a shitty building.

People don't know why the quality of life is better or why the west is as developed the way its. It's because they think better and generally put the safety of their people over profit sometimes. People see homes stalked on one another and begin to ask questions without really knowing how these homes will behave when subjected to a dynamic possible earthquake and tremor in a volatile place like China.

They look pretty but when they go above 5 stories without the frames and structural cores (Shear wall) to resist lateral load (winds) and dynamic load (earthquake and tremor) it will be just like a death trap.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:46pm On Jun 23, 2021
I think we’ve digressed from the main point.

China erect a 10 storey building in 28 hours.

Before we talk about how wind load act on the building envelope and everything they did wrong, we need to first remind ourselves that most construction giants here are still struggling with delivering a simple 5 bedroom duplex in less than 18 weeks let alone multifloor buildings.

I think we should take the good lessons and upgrade our construction methodologies.

_______

Let’s not forget that the highly celebrated train stations, rails and coaches in Nigeria were built by the Chinese.

It’s better we don’t use the train too since the shitty guys built them.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:49pm On Jun 23, 2021
Nigeria to unveil the world’s largest flag.

#WeMadeTheHeadline

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 3:07pm On Jun 23, 2021
I was thinking it going to occur in other part too!
KIDfurniture:
Remove all portion affected with scraper and reapply.
Black Cement type is far better . They have to scrap all portion affected and reapply

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 3:16pm On Jun 23, 2021
n3xt:

Before we talk about how wind load act on the building envelope and everything they did wrong, we need to first remind ourselves that most construction giants here are still struggling with delivering a simple 5 bedroom duplex in less than 18 weeks let alone multifloor buildings.

I think we should take the good lessons and upgrade our construction methodologies.

_______

Let’s not forget that the highly celebrated train stations, rails and coaches in Nigeria were built by the Chinese.

If those trains were built in 48 hours to run on tracks perched on stilt bamboos; yes we shouldn't ride on such shitty trains. They are not safe.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:25pm On Jun 23, 2021
diordaves:

If those trains were built in 48 hours to run on tracks perched on stilt bamboos; yes we shouldn't ride on such shitty trains. They are not safe.

Each coach was assembled (erected like the 28 hours building) in less than 24 hours. grin

The production didn’t start and end on the same day. They must have spent months preparing the building.

That’s exactly what modular construction is all about. It’s more of off-site than on-site construction.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 4:21pm On Jun 23, 2021
Abolarin91:
You bet it would. Hopefully not after it has been painted.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jun 23, 2021
People that factor natural disasters such as earth quakes into their designs. I wonder why we think they have not thought about wind.
n3xt:

_______

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobkezel(m): 6:45pm On Jun 23, 2021
gordonbarrett:
People that factor natural disasters such as earth quakes into their designs. I wonder why we think they have not thought about wind.
Don't mind them, they think they are wiser than the Chinese engineers. They must have put all those into consideration and must have subjected them to a very harsh condition as a test before they are erected. And that is not the only prefabricated building in China, there are tons of it, yet we hear more of a building collapse in this our nature friendly country than China that has more natural disasters.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KIDfurniture(m): 7:19pm On Jun 23, 2021
Is your compound floor sealed ? Did the screeded parts come off during the rainy seasons only ? Was it all good during the hot season ?

Abolarin91:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:23pm On Jun 23, 2021
gordonbarrett:
as in e tire me like this.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 8:08pm On Jun 23, 2021
"is your compound floor sealed" what do you mean sir?
The screeded part fall off before rainy season.
KIDfurniture:
Is your compound floor sealed ? Did the screeded parts come off during the rainy seasons only ? Was it all good during the hot season ?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 8:10pm On Jun 23, 2021
Definitely re-screeding those fall off part is not a the solution, I guess.
gbadexy:

You bet it would. Hopefully not after it has been painted.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Laudbtc: 8:10pm On Jun 23, 2021
Engineers in the house, kindly help me review this estimate for electrical wiring because I feel it’s a bit too much

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:25pm On Jun 23, 2021
Abolarin91:
Definitely re-screeding those fall off part is not a the solution, I guess.
That there picture didn't depict water ingress.
If you apply pressure or force in parts, they would fall off.
Only thing making portland cement screeding bond well is the addition of p.v.a binder in sufficient amount. It's basically what's binding it to any surface and not cement.
Cement can't react with calcium carbonate in pop emulsion paint like it would react with the silica in sand and it can't bond to surfaces like it would with sand mixture.
Cement would hydrate and harden smoothly but it's the organic binder that would improve it's adhesion.
Sufficient bond wasn't used like I earlier stated and let your painter get a stabilising solution.
That would improve the overall bonding and reduce absorption of paint when painting.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by HEADYWORLD: 8:42pm On Jun 23, 2021
Laudbtc:
Engineers in the house, kindly help me review this estimate for electrical wiring because I feel it’s a bit too much
how many bedroom
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:04pm On Jun 23, 2021
bobkezel:

Don't mind them, they think they are wiser than the Chinese engineers. They must have put all those into consideration and must have subjected them to a very harsh condition as a test before they are erected. And that is not the only prefabricated building in China, there are tons of it, yet we hear more of a building collapse in this our nature friendly country than China that has more natural disasters.

Engineering is not magic. I repeat that the house that was put up there doesn't have a dynamic resulting member.

There is no such thing as "It must have been subjected to" we'll all see those resisting structures if it were considered.

There are actually more structural collapsed in China than in Nigeria. I have never seen a 13 story building collapse in Nigeria. In China, there countless over 13 story buildings that collapse every year killing lots of people.

The problem is China wants to build cheap and fast which is not possible. You will have to do the proper thing to have a building that will last.

I'm quite familiar with the Chinese building codes and I can tell you that the British or Euro codes are superior to that and even in major engineering projects executed by Chinese companies here in Nigeria, the consultants are always western companies that always insist that Euro or British codes are used.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:08pm On Jun 23, 2021
gordonbarrett:
People that factor natural disasters such as earthquakes into their designs. I wonder why we think they have not thought about wind.

If they factor earthquakes and other dynamic loading factors they wouldn't just be stacking up the building like that. We would all have to see all those earthquakes resisting members like shear walls, the brazing or they explain other the building will behave to withstand these loadings.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jun 23, 2021
You are right. However, nobody has sort explaination on how the building would react to such loads, based on their simulation of such scenarios, cause I know they do, even for a 200year weather event. You just concluded based on a video.
abdulwastecx:

If they factor earthquakes and other dynamic loading factors they wouldn't just be stacking up the building like that. We would all have to see all those earthquakes resisting members like shear walls, the brazing or they explain other the building will behave to withstand these loadings.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jun 23, 2021
abdulwastecx:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:53pm On Jun 23, 2021

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 10:10pm On Jun 23, 2021
gordonbarrett:
You are right. However, nobody has sort explanation on how the building would react to such loads, based on their simulation of such scenarios, cause I know they do, even for a 200year weather event. You just concluded based on a video.

Because I'm an engineer that knows a thing about high rise building and how they behave when subjected to lateral load (wind load) or dynamic load(earthquake and other motion inducing natural phenomenon).
I can tell straight away if a building has been provided with those but that doesn't make the design and provision of these easy.

Has it occurred to you that most high rise building comes with a reinforced concrete core around the stairs or lift even when the building frame is steel? Yeah! They are provided to withstand lateral loads.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Laudbtc: 10:13pm On Jun 23, 2021
HEADYWORLD:
how many bedroom
Two bedroom into 3 places
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 10:32pm On Jun 23, 2021

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 10:46pm On Jun 23, 2021
So, are we saying the Chinese are foolish to be building death traps in their country?

To what end?

This argument is funny to me.

A country that constructed the longest surviving bridge/wall in the world suddenly don't know what they are doing construction wise?

We have tens of mouth-opening constructions in China bringing in millions of tourism dollars to their country every year.

They are all online and some are even older than 10 days without issues.

Some arguments eh.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by flexyonline: 11:02pm On Jun 23, 2021
Good evening gents. Please what’s a good labor rate for doing stamped concrete? Also, if I am to do it all-in i.e. labor and materials, what is a good rate per sqm?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:23am On Jun 24, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 4:22am On Jun 24, 2021
it is funny how we even think that a country that constructed the oldest wall in the world, a country that has been able to cater for the housing needs of its population of over 1.3 billion people, a country with the highest number of skyscrapers in the entire world will be erecting pre fabricated building here and there without considering so many factors. Very funny. Here in 9ja self, our local masons consider direction of wind in setting up certain things

The only thing why China things are cheaper is cos they are the master of machinery. They are very very advanced technologically.
Secondly, they don't pay much to their staff and lastly the most important one
they don't kill themselves with many laws and policies like the US.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 5:59am On Jun 24, 2021
gbadexy:

Well noted, thank you sir, your contribution are appreciated.That there picture didn't depict water ingress.
If you apply pressure or force in parts, they would fall off.
Only thing making portland cement screeding bond well is the addition of p.v.a binder in sufficient amount. It's basically what's binding it to any surface and not cement.
Cement can't react with calcium carbonate in pop emulsion paint like it would react with the silica in sand and it can't bond to surfaces like it would with sand mixture.
Cement would hydrate and harden smoothly but it's the organic binder that would improve it's adhesion.
Sufficient bond wasn't used like I earlier stated and let your painter get a stabilising solution.
That would improve the overall bonding and reduce absorption of paint when painting.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2279) (2280) (2281) (2282) (2283) (2284) (2285) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ChybuzzDD(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.