Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,405 members, 7,812,198 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2281) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4375746 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2278) (2279) (2280) (2281) (2282) (2283) (2284) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Thenext: 9:27am On Jun 23, 2021
n3xt:
@Thenext

Pls kindly chat me up sir. +234. 80. 234. 29122

Thank you sir.

Alright sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:01am On Jun 23, 2021
kopell:
Brother thank you for your observation. I’m not a fan of woods in any construction project, I try not to use many of those woods in mine projects. It’s may not worth it for many of small construction firms like them. logistic and storage cost may be very difficult from site to site. It’s a good idea if they have different companies that can handle that at affordable rate, doing so will help us safe those trees deforestation that take 10 or more 15 years to grow.

I agree with you. Logistic and storage is a challenge in the short term but not insurmountable. Formwork, shuttering/scaffolding is a dedicated stand-alone business for builders to tap into. The country needs a dedicated formwork/shuttering and equipment hire businesses that the builders can approach for hire. If I happen to live full time in Nigeria like Egun, this is one business I will have a serious look at. The construction business in Nigeria is crying for one.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:08am On Jun 23, 2021
n3xt:

I stopped including cost of wood in my estimates since 2015.

Even my last and ongoing project, the whole formwork is on us at fraction of the cost.

The savings is huge.

Just imagine the huge saving on using steel shutters for columns production.
Within 5 days, we were able to take 3 buildings to first floor slab level without breaking bank.

______

You’d save a lot of time.
You’d save a lot of money.
You’d be able to deliver a solid structure without compromising on quality.

I have cited you in the recent past as one of those with an encouraging direction of travel regarding investing in the tools/equipment of the trade with positive outcomes. I have noticed how neat your sites are without wood, wood, and planks strewn everywhere. Be encouraged to do more. Apart from the cost savings, a neat site is good for your mental health and others.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 10:13am On Jun 23, 2021
Ah! Noted, thank you sir.
hamtabfawaz:

Not enough amount of cement mixed with the Screeding Paint , which makes the solution watery. Solution has to be well mixed & thick before applying on the wall, wall has to be Properly scraped & sandpaper if necessary before applying Screeding solution. For better Results....

Don't Manage Screeding Materials......
We're available for your Screeding cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 10:14am On Jun 23, 2021
Yes
OAKGroup:

Hmm. Was the dpm well done?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 10:15am On Jun 23, 2021
Yes it is pure white. Any correction?
KIDfurniture:
If it's pure white type of screeding it is normal.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:16am On Jun 23, 2021
spyder880:

You are very correct on that observation, and I had thought about this a long time ago. Some of the challenges I have with formwork is the ease of movement. I can acquire and keep formwork in any of my spaces in Enugu, but for me to make the best use of it, I have to move it to all or most of my project sites, and that's where the real problem starts.

Moving stuff across state lines is fraught with difficulties, from the exorbitant transportation charges to security officers checkpoints to the legal and illegal revenue officials that are scattered everywhere chasing any truck of any kind to extort. It's not very easy. I have work in up to 5 states, moving formworks around might be harder. Imagine driving formwork from Enugu to Ondo state, the money you spend on logistics wont be funny.

And again, how many sets of formworks will I need, as at today, I will be needing wood in Akure, Asaba and Anambra state for 3 different ongoing construction stages of work, management of the form works in 3 states would have given me more headache than the work itself, else, I will need about 3 sets of formworks and a dedicated crew of workers to be moving them.

But there's something we are missing, the resale value of those wood used on that decking is also high, I can reuse those decking wood in the lintels, or leave them intact and reuse them in the second decking. Sometimes, I use some wood thrice before they spoil. So the cost of wood for that decking will give me some savings in the subsequent stages.

Very valid points. The country needs a nationwide dedicated construction equipment hire firm, builders like yourself could contact for hire/lease business. This is what we are used to abroad. The one man "Local Government" approach system in Nigeria is not on.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 10:17am On Jun 23, 2021
Ok sir. Thanks for your contribution
gbadexy:

That's grey portland cement screeding. Cement screeding has the tendency of cracking and flaking off after some time.
I'm thinking there wasn't sufficient organic binder introduced for proper bonding to the building.
Ready mixed basecoat still remains the most durable screeding materials for any form of screeding though.
You could apply a diluted wall stabilising solution to the wall so that it soaks through and bond the screeding to be building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 10:17am On Jun 23, 2021
Pop cement
Jasobry:

Did you use pop cement or black cement for it?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:35am On Jun 23, 2021
diordaves:

I have cited you in the recent past as one of those with an encouraging direction of travel regarding investing in the tools/equipment of the trade with positive outcomes. I have noticed how neat your sites are without wood, wood, and planks strewn everywhere. Be encouraged to do more. Apart from the cost savings, a neat site is good for your mental health and others.

Thanks. You inspire us to do more.

________

There’s actually a team in charge of ensuring that the site is kept safe and clean at all times.

I know they’re not there yet but I’m happy they’re making good progress.

It’s not easy to change typical naija artisans especially those with fixed mindset.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:36am On Jun 23, 2021
We’ve established processes for all our operations.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:39am On Jun 23, 2021
bixton:

Many a times there are certain things you should desist from doing. I looked at your initial post and the number of bags of cement you assumed was 230 bags........did you see the much difference when sypder880 posted his quotation. Is that how you've been using best construction practices to waste cement in your builds? I hope you saw your lapses as you dey see another person own...............

No, I did not see my lapses as there are none. That ballpark figure was given from the photo, I counted the blocks (as best I can from the photos) and board partitions to hazard a guess of the dimension of the building. From the photos, I noticed that hollow blocks were used and hazard a guess for the amount of mix pour that will go into the hollow and the thickness of the beams which I guess should be 9" - 12". He may have done things differently to arrive at 181 bags of cement. So it is a lapse on your part to expect a spot-on figure when I was not privy to the structural drawings.

That said, did you read the part of 200 bags final assumption? 200 bags hazard; 181 bags eventually used. That should fly in the circumstances. Now juxtapose this against the estimate of 80 bags of cement and then go on looking for further lapses.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:43am On Jun 23, 2021
diordaves:

Thanks. You inspire us to do more.

________

There’s actually a team in charge of ensuring that the site is kept safe and clean at all times.

I know they’re not there yet but I’m happy they’re making good progress.

It’s not easy to change typical naija artisans especially those with fixed mindset.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KIDfurniture(m): 10:44am On Jun 23, 2021
Remove all portion affected with scraper and reapply.
Black Cement type is far better . They have to scrap all portion affected and reapply

Abolarin91:
Yes it is pure white. Any correction?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:57am On Jun 23, 2021
diordaves:

I agree with you. Logistic and storage is a challenge in the short term but not insurmountable. Formwork, shuttering/scaffolding is a dedicated stand-alone business for builders to tap into. The country needs a dedicated formwork/shuttering and equipment hire businesses that the builders can approach for hire. If I happen to live full time in Nigeria like Egun, this is one business I will have a serious look at. The construction business in Nigeria is crying for one.

I’ve been working on a total builder support subsidiary company for about a year now. It’ll launch tentatively first quarter next year depending on what Nigeria farts out.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:02am On Jun 23, 2021
diordaves:

Very valid points. The country needs a nationwide dedicated construction equipment hire firm, builders like yourself could contact for hire/lease business. This is what we are used to abroad. The one man "Local Government" approach system in Nigeria is not on.

I found out recently that there are dedicated decking crews that roam the countryside. They do one thing and one thing only, mix, pour and install deckings. One worked near me recently and they came in two buses around 6am. Leader arrived a day before to make sure materials are on the ground.

We have some people with foresight on the ground, they just need to be encouraged,

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Temi1(m): 11:08am On Jun 23, 2021
n3xt:
NextHome Formwork Rental

In 2015, I wrote this:

Today, we have even far more equipment and tools of trade that has really helped us in cutting down construction cost without sacrificing quality.

I am currently working on expandable construction gantry/lifting hoists for our multifloor projects.

Did anyone ever noticed there’s no stewpid mallam step non.sense on my last project.
For us, it sheer waste of fund

I like the last sentence. So much is spent on that conspicuous mallam step and it becomes useless immediately after the decking is done! Well done bro!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by aggymore: 11:16am On Jun 23, 2021
Are you looking for your Tiles for your finishing......Look no further.

Talk to me for your:

Tiles (Verified, Porcelain, Ceramic, Spanish, Italian )

Granite
Marbles
Sanitary Ware
Doors
Jacuzzi
Shower room
Tap
Power shower

Our location is at Plot 322 Agege Motor Road, Challenge Bus stop, (Ketcel Signboard)Opposite Thermacool Munshin Lagos

Call:08033912991
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolajinoni1(m): 11:55am On Jun 23, 2021
A land survey will help protect your investment. A survey can reveal the exact property dimensions, size and location of the home on the property, as well as any other improvements on the land, such as a driveway that may be crossing a property line. For more info Whatsapp or Call 08137651008
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 11:57am On Jun 23, 2021
diordaves:

No, I did not see my lapses as there are none. That ballpark figure was given from the photo, I counted the blocks (as best I can from the photos) and board partitions to hazard a guess of the dimension of the building. From the photos, I noticed that hollow blocks were used and hazard a guess for the amount of mix pour that will go into the hollow and the thickness of the beams which I guess should be 9" - 12". He may have done things differently to arrive at 181 bags of cement. So it is a lapse on your part to expect a spot-on figure when I was not privy to the structural drawings.

That said, did you read the part of 200 bags final assumption? 200 bags hazard; 181 bags eventually used. That should fly in the circumstances. Now juxtapose this against the estimate of 80 bags of cement and then go on looking for further lapses.

Very Good Sir
Maybe next time you can request for the structural drawings to be more accurate. Because he used 181 bags of cement to achieve such you're stating he did it differently. Please how different does it have to be done? Your insinuation is something else......
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:57am On Jun 23, 2021
Temi1:

I like the last sentence. So much is spent on that conspicuous mallam step and it becomes useless immediately after the decking is done! Well done bro!

Yeah! It’s sheer waste of fund.

Another thing that drives up cost on most projects is Concrete Mixer.

I’ve been casting back-to-back on my site for almost 21 days using NextHome Mixer. We didn’t allow manual mix in any part of the project.

Imagine how much I’d have spent if I have to hire a concrete mixer at 25,000 per day.

Instead of spending so much on concrete mixers, most homeowners/contractors always resort to doing manual mix when casting lintels/columns/blinding etc.
Most people felt the only thing requires a concrete mixer is the slab.

This is wrong.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:18pm On Jun 23, 2021
diordaves:

I’ve been on this business for a while. Unless you’re dealing with big contractors/construction firms who are ready to do a long lease, the business is not a worthwhile investment.

I’d rather do rent-to-own or invest in my own equipment than hire/lease from these firms. Their rates and terms are not so favorable.

As of today, I only use my tools and construction equipment for NextHome projects only. I don’t do equipment hires/rentals anymore.

The pains/losses incurred outweigh the benefits.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 12:37pm On Jun 23, 2021
While we're discussing whether or not to use steel shutters, Chinese company built a 10 storey in record time
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 12:41pm On Jun 23, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I found out recently that there are dedicated decking crews that risk the countryside. They do one thing and one thing only, mix, pour and install deckings. One worked near me recently and they came in two buses around 6am. Leader arrived s day before to make sure materials are on the ground.

We have some people with foresight on the ground, they just need to be encouraged,
There is no need to encourage anybody to do business. People need to think deep to tap into opportunities around them to improve their lives. Many of our people will seat and keep complaining about government this and that. Look how Brabus is so creative in what he do every day to achieve savings in many of his projects. People need to think outside to box, it always going to be challenges in everything we do. Life itself is a challenge make the best out of it.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:47pm On Jun 23, 2021
michlins:
While we're discussing whether or not to use steel shutters, Chinese company built a 10 storey in record time

I shared this earlier - prefab construction is the future.

Our current construction methodologies are dated. That’s why I always attend Affordable Housing Project conference organized by Marcus Evans.

_______

We started a slab yesterday. We’ve moved to another slab as at this afternoon.
Before the week runs out, I’d be taking 2 more slabs.

This is not as a result of having more capable hands but because we’ve mechanized all our operations.

________

I once met at a conference in Lagos, a LASU prof who specializes in prefab constructions. I was so much intrigued by the prefab staircases that he produces.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:59pm On Jun 23, 2021
michlins:

I wouldn't want to live in those though. Also, the workshop works to get the prefab component up and running would have talking much more time to build.

We don't really need to reinvent the wheel because there thousands of researches out there that we can use to solve some of our peculiar problem.
We have abundant limestone, Kaolin and other natural minerals deposits. These minerals are the raw materials for the production of cemetious and pozzolanic materials. All we need to do is produce cheaper and cheaper materials for the traditional houses.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 1:02pm On Jun 23, 2021
abdulwastecx:

I wouldn't want to live in those though. Also, the workshop works to get the prefab component up and running would have talking much more time to build.

We don't really need to reinvent the wheel because there thousands of researches out there that we can use to solve some of our peculiar problem.
We have abundant limestone, Kaolin and other natural minerals deposits. These minerals are the raw materials for the production of cemetious and pozzolanic materials. All we need to do is produce cheaper and cheaper materials for the traditional houses.

produce cheaper when a liter of diesel fuel is 260

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:14pm On Jun 23, 2021
n3xt:

Yeah! It’s sheer waste of fund.

Another thing that drives up cost on most projects is Concrete Mixer.

I’ve been casting back-to-back on my site for almost 21 days using NextHome Mixer. We didn’t allow manual mix in any part of the project.

Imagine how much I’d have spent if I have to hire a concrete mixer at 25,000 per day.

Instead of spending so much on concrete mixers, most homeowners/contractors always resort to doing manual mix when casting lintels/columns/blinding etc.
Most people felt the only thing requires a concrete mixer is the slab.

This is wrong.

It's is worth it when you do such a high volume of concrete work and the economics will simply tilt towards actually owning the machine.
Columns are structural members and should always be cast using a machine and vibrator but lintels and blinding can be cast manually.

Also, an important point in concrete production is the knowledge, quality control, and experience of the maker. You can use a machine with rich cement but end up producing very weak concrete, while some other person can use manual mix under a better control environment, the right water-cement ratio and produce a much better concrete

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:16pm On Jun 23, 2021
michlins:
produce cheaper when a liter of diesel fuel is 260

how much is N260 in a dollar? possibly less than 60 cents. The problem is the general productivity level of the country. We're not just producing enough.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:21pm On Jun 23, 2021
n3xt:

I shared this earlier - prefab construction is the future.

Our current construction methodologies are dated. That’s why I always attend Affordable Housing Project conference organized by Marcus Evans.

_______

We started a slab yesterday. We’ve moved to another slab as at this afternoon.
Before the week runs out, I’d be taking 2 more slabs.

This is not as a result of having more capable hands but because we’ve mechanized all our operations.

________

I once met at a conference in Lagos, a LASU prof who specializes in prefab constructions. I was so much intrigued by the prefab staircases that he produces.

Prefab homes are great but no one in the west will allow purely starked home up to 6 storeys simply because it's not safe to live in.

China and the Soviet build some of the shittiest construction, endangering the life of their people simply because regulations are non-existent in those climes.

When building a high rise, gravity load is a lesser consign than wind load and its effect on the building. How would a stalked building behave when the wind comes calling?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2278) (2279) (2280) (2281) (2282) (2283) (2284) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.