Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,411 members, 7,812,218 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2280) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4375783 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2277) (2278) (2279) (2280) (2281) (2282) (2283) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 7:53pm On Jun 22, 2021
QSFemi:
Cement is unnecessarily higher in Benin compared to most places.

Cheaper in the East of the Niger

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:56pm On Jun 22, 2021
Good evening everyone. Hope the rising cost of goods and services haven't been able to stop you from building.

This is a project that am working on and I will appreciate it if you can take out time to look at it

https://www.nairaland.com/6607593/construction-metal-works-two-storey

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:04pm On Jun 22, 2021
OAKGroup:

Hmmm, that could be dangerous, because it should have been taken care of from it's foundation. Enough columns should have been erected, the block walls should av been filled with weak concrete too. If the above was done. That's cool.
Ensure the reinforcement is very sound, make the thickness 175-200mm.

This your recommendation of 175-200mm is it inclusive of the beams+slab or only slab?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 9:46pm On Jun 22, 2021
neduboo:

4M for decking alone. This is a rip off. I wonder why u guys quote this outrageous prices. This decking can't eat more than 2.5M if spending is done judiciously. That's 2.5M is if the length and width of the house is big.

Na only u dey build house. Haba
I spent ₦4.1m for my decking in June 2020, is that outrageous? well, the realities will hit you soon, please adhere to conventional building standard!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 10:08pm On Jun 22, 2021
Valuepaints20:

I'm on Instagram as valuepaints20. Install the app to follow my photos and videos. https://www.instagram.com/invites/contact/?i=18bt3qxxw46f2&utm_content=1m317ut

Buying paints or Painting your home is exciting, but choosing the right colours, products, and house painters while ensuring your family’s safety can be a huge task. That's where we come in with our aim to make home painting a safe and great experience! With Value Paints Safe Painting Services, re-imagine your home as a huge canvas.

Now get an Online Consultation with Value the Paints Safe Painting Services and let us guide you through all the questions you may have.

To buy paint or paint your home, please give us a call at 08163862804.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:33pm On Jun 22, 2021
Iriruaga100:

Sir, the person you quoted need to be very practical here. 3 million will only deck a three bedroom duplex as of today. That amount will not deck a two unit three bedroom flat in this present economy.

Last year December, I supervised a project in Delta consisting of two unit of two bedroom and one unit of one bedroom. The rod for that project cost 1,930,000.
16mm- 165
12mm- 450
The building got 9” all round beam with 9” and 6” beam in different areas on the decking.
252 bags of cement was used at the rate of 3300- 831,600.
60 tons of granite at 500k. The granite was not enough, I bought the small truck for 88k
Electrical materials- 190,000

Casting- 200,000
Carpenter- 200,000
Iron benders- 180,000
Electrician- 100,000
Plumber- 10,000
This is all I can remember o.

With the current price of rods and cement selling above 3,000, the cost of decking should not be viewed lightly. Many people would likely now be cutting corners and ending up with unsafe structures.

My next project will be a storey shopping complex. But when the structural drawings got to me and I sat down to calculate the decking cost, decking alone is over 9 million. You know what, I just revised the project to a row of single storey lockup stores. The decking cost made no sense to the final bottom line.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OAKGroup(m): 10:43pm On Jun 22, 2021
bixton:

This your recommendation of 175-200mm is it inclusive of the beams+slab or only slab?
Slab only.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 10:50pm On Jun 22, 2021
List of Materials and workmanship for the construction of the suspended slab for a double wing of 2 bedroom flats at Asaba.

1. 1x12x12 wood (345) x 1300 = N448,500
2. 2x2x12 wood (100) x 350 = N35,000
3. Long bamboo (178) x 400 = N71,200
4. 1x9x12 wood (10) 1,100 = N11,000
5. 1x6x12 wood (75) 650 = N48,750
6. Bag of 3" nails (2) 13,500 = N27,000
7. Half bag of 2" nails N8,500
8. Roll of nylon sheets (6) 7,000 = N42,000
9. 16mm rods (80) x 6,262 = N501,000
10. 12mm rods (245) x 3,522.24 = N862,950
11. 8mm rods (45) x 1733.33 = N78,000
12. Roll of binding wire N13,300
13. Electrical pipes, boxes,gum etc. N122,053.75
14. Bags of cement (181) x 3450 = N624,450
15. Trips of sharp sand (7) x 19,714.28 = N138,000
16. Trips of chippings (6) x 60,000 = N360,000
17. Carpentry N130,000
18. Iron fitters N120,000
19. Electricians N60,000
20. Concrete casters N250,000
21. Site foreman 20,000
22. Security man N20,000
23. Transportation and loading N47,950

Grand total N4,052,953.75

Promise kept, I will be around to entertain some questions. Thanks all.

Edit: Cost prices in fractions indicate that we bought several quantities at different times and at different prices, so you are likely seeing average costs as unit prices in some materials.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:29pm On Jun 22, 2021
spyder880:
List of Materials and workmanship for the construction of the suspended slab for a double wing of 2 bedroom flats at Asaba.

17. Carpentry N130,000
19. Electricians N60,000
21. Site foreman 20,000
22. Security man N20,000

Edit: Cost prices in fractions indicate that we bought several quantities at different times and at different prices, so you are likely seeing average costs as unit prices in some materials.

I don't have any questions. The budget is just about right as expected. But I have one observation: the total cost of wood and bamboo is about 700k.

I still strongly think you Nigerian builders should invest as a matter of priority in formwork and props. Hiring a formwork panel and props for about 200 - 300k could result in 400k effeciency savings on the decking and even more with the whole project.

Formwork and decking panels are available in Alibaba. There are even second hand on ebay. I may look into importing some for resale in Nigeria. With 700k cost outlay for wood, there's is a market waiting to be tapped.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 2:35am On Jun 23, 2021
diordaves:

I don't have any questions. The budget is just about right as expected. But I have one observation: the total cost of wood and bamboo is about 700k.

I still strongly think you Nigerian builders should invest as a matter of priority in formwork and props. Hiring a formwork panel and props for about 200 - 300k could result in 400k effeciency savings on the decking and even more with the whole project.

Formwork and decking panels are available in Alibaba. There are even second hand on ebay. I may look into importing some for resale in Nigeria. With 700k cost outlay for wood, there's is a market waiting to be tapped.
Brother thank you for your observation. I’m not a fan of woods in any construction project, I try not to use many of those woods in mine projects. It’s may not worth it for many of small construction firms like them. logistic and storage cost may be very difficult from site to site. It’s a good idea if they have different companies that can handle that at affordable rate, doing so will help us safe those trees deforestation that take 10 or more 15 years to grow.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by frond: 3:18am On Jun 23, 2021
OAKGroup:

Hmmm, that could be dangerous, because it should have been taken care of from it's foundation. Enough columns should have been erected, the block walls should av been filled with weak concrete too. If the above was done. That's cool.
Ensure the reinforcement is very sound, make the thickness 175-200mm.
Thanks a million.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:39am On Jun 23, 2021
diordaves:

I stopped including cost of wood in my estimates since 2015.

Even my last and ongoing project, the whole formwork is on us at fraction of the cost.

The savings is huge.

Just imagine the huge saving on using steel shutters for columns production.
Within 5 days, we were able to take 3 buildings to first floor slab level without breaking bank.

______

You’d save a lot of time.
You’d save a lot of money.
You’d be able to deliver a solid structure without compromising on quality.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:56am On Jun 23, 2021
NextHome Formwork Rental

In 2015, I wrote this:

brabus:
^^^
Unfortunately, I decided not to share cost updates anymore. But if cost is what to go by, there's no one to beat our figures as we stand now! #fact

1. Clients don't have to buy wood. We have formwork and have established trade relationship with major businesses providing steel shutters.
2. Clients don't have to provide generator. We have dedicated generators for each project.
3. Clients don't have to build storage facility. We provide one at fraction of the cost.
4. Clients don't have to pay for pumping machine. We have them.
5. Clients don't have to pay premium on concrete jobs. We own our mixer, poker vibrator and also work with your budget.
6. Clients don't have to pay premium on materials. We own our dump truck and can conveniently afford to slash down the cost of haulage.
7. Clients don't have to buy hose, we have them in different sizes.
8. Clients don't have to pay for 3D if we designed and build your house.
9. We have also forge strategic partnership with major builder support companies abroad to deliver projects with western feel.
10. The list keeps growing.

Affordable. Superior Standard. Timely Delivery.

Browne Mews is a testimony.

_________
I found Putzmeister SP 11 concrete pump here in Nigeria. I just messaged them. Let's see what can come out of this. http://www.okolimotors.com.ng/machines/view/putzmeister-sp-11-bbr

Today, we have even far more equipment and tools of trade that has really helped us in cutting down construction cost without sacrificing quality.

I am currently working on expandable construction gantry/lifting hoists for our multifloor projects.

Did anyone ever noticed there’s no stewpid mallam step non.sense on my last project.
For us, it sheer waste of fund.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:12am On Jun 23, 2021
It’s not the sand that’s expensive. It’s the cost of transportation.

When we keep doing things the conventional way, we will keep achieving the same result.

More on alternative and efficient construction methods on kobocity.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 4:13am On Jun 23, 2021
n3xt:

I stopped including cost of wood in my estimates since 2015.

Even my last and ongoing project, the whole formwork is on us at fraction of the cost.

The savings is huge.

Just imagine the huge saving on using steel shutters for columns production.
Within 5 days, we were able to take 3 buildings to first floor slab level without breaking bank.

______

You’d save a lot of time.
You’d save a lot of money.
You’d be able to deliver a solid structure without compromising on quality.

Kudos!

Way to go!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:33am On Jun 23, 2021
Badgers14:

Kudos!

Way to go!

Yeah!

We also need to start exploring precast solutions.

- Precast slab
- Precast concrete staircase
- Precast lintels/beams/columns
- Precast fences
- Precast drainages/sump/manhole
- Precast walls

Consider the huge savings people get from using precast parapet instead of the conventional in-situ parapets.

Solid construction minus the worries.

#whatdoiknow #advancedbabalati

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:40am On Jun 23, 2021
@Thenext

Pls kindly chat me up sir. +234. 80. 234. 29122

Thank you sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 5:08am On Jun 23, 2021
Jasobry:
Which is better between black cement screeding and pop cement screeding

Screeding!!!

Black Cement Screeding is Stronger, while POP cement Screeding is finer....

Black Cement Screeding is also a bit cheaper than POP cement Screeding.

Always Make sure you employ good Screeders & Try not to Manage Materials for Screeding.

E get Why.

Edit: Read More on Screeding here
https://www.nairaland.com/6534100/interior-design-project/1#102396102

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 5:18am On Jun 23, 2021
diordaves:

You are very correct on that observation, and I had thought about this a long time ago. Some of the challenges I have with formwork is the ease of movement. I can acquire and keep formwork in any of my spaces in Enugu, but for me to make the best use of it, I have to move it to all or most of my project sites, and that's where the real problem starts.

Moving stuff across state lines is fraught with difficulties, from the exorbitant transportation charges to security officers checkpoints to the legal and illegal revenue officials that are scattered everywhere chasing any truck of any kind to extort. It's not very easy. I have work in up to 5 states, moving formworks around might be harder. Imagine driving formwork from Enugu to Ondo state, the money you spend on logistics wont be funny.

And again, how many sets of formworks will I need, as at today, I will be needing wood in Akure, Asaba and Anambra state for 3 different ongoing construction stages of work, management of the form works in 3 states would have given me more headache than the work itself, else, I will need about 3 sets of formworks and a dedicated crew of workers to be moving them.

But there's something we are missing, the resale value of those wood used on that decking is also high, I can reuse those decking wood in the lintels, or leave them intact and reuse them in the second decking. Sometimes, I use some wood thrice before they spoil. So the cost of wood for that decking will give me some savings in the subsequent stages.

11 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 5:37am On Jun 23, 2021
Abolarin91:
Please what could be the causes of this screeding pilling off! It is not up to a year o

Not enough amount of cement mixed with the Screeding Paint , which makes the solution watery. Solution has to be well mixed & thick before applying on the wall, wall has to be Properly scraped & sandpaper if necessary before applying Screeding solution. For better Results....

Don't Manage Screeding Materials......
We're available for your Screeding cool

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hollaryincar(m): 5:50am On Jun 23, 2021
I sent you a message on WhatsApp

kiekie1:
Neatly used cyberpower up for sale!

Cyberpower 1.2kva 12v power inverter available for sale. It can power up your basic AC loads like TV , Fan, Laptop, lightening points , sound system etc ..

Condition: Neatly used. Works like new
Location: Lagos but can be waybilled to any state under buyers expense.

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:00am On Jun 23, 2021
kopell:
Brother thank you for your observation. I’m not a fan of woods in any construction project, I try not to use many of those woods in mine projects. It’s may not worth it for many of small construction firms like them. logistic and storage cost may be very difficult from site to site. It’s a good idea if they have different companies that can handle that at affordable rate, doing so will help us safe those trees deforestation that take 10 or more 15 years to grow.

Good point, I will be looking out for companies that offer such services around me. Deforestation problems in Nigeria has been on the increase as more people now move farther to get more wood. Wood costs will also be increasing.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 6:11am On Jun 23, 2021
n3xt:

Yeah!

We also need to start exploring precast solutions.

- Precast slab
- Precast concrete staircase
- Precast lintels/beams/columns
- Precast fences
- Precast drainages/sump/manhole
- Precast walls

Consider the huge savings people get from using precast parapet instead of the conventional in-situ parapets.

Solid construction minus the worries.

#whatdoiknow #advancedbabalati

Innovative.. keep it up.

I think this is one of our members here was saying about people investing in their business.. I believe it was diordaves or was it me? grin

Not sure but anyways, this is how we progress, trying to figure out a way to get better in what we do.. not cutting corners, but thinking about ways to get this done more efficiently and cheaper..

Thanks for sharing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:39am On Jun 23, 2021
diordaves:

Many a times there are certain things you should desist from doing. I looked at your initial post and the number of bags of cement you assumed was 230 bags........did you see the much difference when sypder880 posted his quotation. Is that how you've been using best construction practices to waste cement in your builds? I hope you saw your lapses as you dey see another person own...............

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:45am On Jun 23, 2021
spyder880:

17. Carpentry N130,000
19. Electricians N60,000
21. Site foreman 20,000
22. Security man N20,000

Well done.
Please what's the tonnage per truck of the chippings procured?
Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:55am On Jun 23, 2021
bixton:

Well done.
Please what's the tonnage per truck of the chippings procured?
Thanks.

These were about 7.5 ton loads.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:02am On Jun 23, 2021
spyder880:

These were about 7.5 ton loads.

Kudos.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 7:26am On Jun 23, 2021
omanzo02:

I spent ₦4.1m for my decking in June 2020, is that outrageous? well, the realities will hit you soon, please adhere to conventional building standard!
Leave them grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by HossanaHeights: 7:41am On Jun 23, 2021
Spyder880, you have done well. This quote looks even cheap to me. I don't know of any carpenter or iron bender that would agree to collect less than N160k each for their services on a double wing of 2 bedroom flats based on current labour rates.

Perhaps, they agreed much lower because you are always building and hence have a higher bargaining power.

Those who feel this type of decking should cost around N3M don't understand what entails in a decking done very well (without cutting corners).

spyder880:

17. Carpentry N130,000
19. Electricians N60,000
21. Site foreman 20,000
22. Security man N20,000

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Tiztonio(m): 7:46am On Jun 23, 2021
HossanaHeights:
Spyder880, you have done well. This quote looks even cheap to me. I don't know of any carpenter or iron bender that would agree to collect less than N160k each for their services on a double wing of 2 bedroom flats based on current labour rates.

Perhaps, they agreed much lower because you are always building and hence have a higher bargaining power.

Those who feel this type of decking should cost around N3M don't understand what entails in a decking done very well (without cutting corners).

Thank you sir for this in-depth quotation. Would help

Materials are too expensive here in benin. 16mm rod is being sold for 7700 naira

(1) (2) (3) ... (2277) (2278) (2279) (2280) (2281) (2282) (2283) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.