Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2283) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4385972 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2280) (2281) (2282) (2283) (2284) (2285) (2286) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:40am On Jun 24, 2021
Greenarrow01:
it is funny how we even think that a country that constructed the oldest wall in the world, a country that has been able to cater for the housing needs of its population of over 1.3 billion people, a country with the highest number of skyscrapers in the entire world will be erecting pre fabricated building here and there without considering so many factors. Very funny. Here in 9ja self, our local masons consider direction of wind in setting up certain things

The only thing why China things are cheaper is cos they are the master of machinery. They are very very advanced technologically.
Secondly, they don't pay much to their staff and lastly the most important one
they don't kill themselves with many laws and policies like the US.

Chinese don’t have engineers. They only have shitty builders.

I’ll be following up this 28 hours build to know when it’ll collapse since it wasn’t build to Europe, US and naija building code.

I was hoping to see carpenters, iron benders, concreters working on the 10 storey building like we always do here

Why should China be assembly a house like cars? They still have a lot to learn.

_______

In Nigeria, there’s always a problem for every solution.

Good morning!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:01am On Jun 24, 2021
n3xt:
From UK with love cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ek1O0T6jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9KfHdE4_xU

The first video actually agrees with him. See the bolded part.

PS I did not watch the second

abdulwastecx:

Prefab homes are great but no one in the west will allow purely starked home up to 6 storeys simply because it's not safe to live in.

China and the Soviet build some of the shittiest construction, endangering the life of their people simply because regulations are non-existent in those climes.

When building a high rise, gravity load is a lesser consign than wind load and its effect on the building. How would a stalked building behave when the wind comes calling?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Laudbtc: 7:10am On Jun 24, 2021
Laudbtc:
Engineers in the house, kindly help me review this estimate for electrical wiring because I feel it’s a bit too much

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amastermovic(m): 7:10am On Jun 24, 2021
Nigeria are only use to the norm's if Nigeria also have lot of skyscraper even without effect of earthquake and wind I'm sure we will have more building collapse than China that's how to rate research..

Saying the Chinese code is nothing to write about is absolutely wrong and saying Chinese bridge in Nigeria are changed to bs code is also wrong for those build in the past ..

You need to understand how the Chinese work after each building or construction is completed they put a regulation to it a residential building can never b use for church, even most Chinese bridge here they limit heavy load truck from going through by putting sign and top barricade because they use their structure only for intended purpose..

The said building the Chinese claimed its 100x stronger and stable than conventional one .

Nigeria government already partner with China long ago to take final year civil engineering student on scholarship for more knowledge on the Chinese code and mode of construction, so we should be prepared someday in future all public project will be similar to Chinese own faster and strict regulations..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:18am On Jun 24, 2021
rationalmind:

The first video actually agrees with him. See the bolded part.

PS I did not watch the second

Ok. I’ll suggest you read Precast Concrete Structures by Kim S. Elliott (2nd Edition) to get more info on precast structures built to Eurocode EC2.

I recommend the 2nd edition because it came with lots of updated researches.

You’ll also find in the book design exercise for 10 storey precast skeletal frame.

Im not so close to home, I’d have shared few pages from the book.

_________

Don’t take me too serious though. I’m just an advanced baba lati with lots of materials and books on modern architecture.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 7:30am On Jun 24, 2021
n3xt:

I’ll be following up this 28 hours build to know when it’ll collapse since it wasn’t build to Europe, US and naija building code.

I was hoping to see carpenters, iron benders, concreters working on the 10 storey building like we always do here

_______

Good morning!

Abi na

Before Elon musk started using robots to assemble electric cars
People in China were doing that.
People don't know
US, EU import a whole lot from china, that was the fight trump was having with China, China almost crumbled the steel industry in China, why will those people be importing steal if they know they are substandard and won't past basic test.
Omo let's be humble and learn from these people ooo.
Let's look at what they are doing critically and see why they are doing it, how they are doing it and study them

Instead of trying to critique their stuffs from afar.

.people don't know.
China is damn strict.
Any form of corruption bayii na hanging
So cutting corners and endangering people is corruption.
And they don't just execute normal citizens, they execute top guys too, they did execute a former secretary of their party this year.
That's like executing lai Mohamed

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 7:42am On Jun 24, 2021
Moreover China even built a pre cast skyscraper of 50 something storey building in 19 days. That's a skyscraper. They did it in 2015. People are still living there oooo wind no dey come that side. He dey run from them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 7:46am On Jun 24, 2021
Tiztonio:

Thank you sir for this in-depth quotation. Would help

Materials are too expensive here in benin. 16mm rod is being sold for 7700 naira

I bought a FULL 16mm rod for 8,000 naira in Ibadan.

Kudos to the seller, I have not seen 16mm that full before in these parts.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:57am On Jun 24, 2021
The problem is that we like to do things the traditional way. Very difficult to accept new solutions. That's why they still teach nonsense in many Nigerian universities.
Greenarrow01:
Moreover China even built a pre cast skyscraper of 50 something storey building in 19 days. That's a skyscraper. They did it in 2015. People are still living there oooo wind no dey come that side. He dey run from them

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:04am On Jun 24, 2021

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:09am On Jun 24, 2021
This argument is just scattered all over the place.

1. Building codes. Are we saying China building codes are on par with EU and UK building codes ?

2. Are we saying we cannot have a precast skyscraper?

Because we definitely have prefab / modular skyscrapers.

On the issue of safety... would you prefer to live in a 20 storey building built by the Chinese or the Germans?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 8:15am On Jun 24, 2021
grin grin grin grin

People pay thousands of dollars just to go watch these engineering miracles.

7 out of the 10 longest bridges in the world are in China.

https:// www.worldatlas. com/articles/20-longest-bridges-in-the-world.html#

EgunMogaji2:
grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9_f3GldYGg

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:46am On Jun 24, 2021
n3xt:

Ok. I’ll suggest you read Precast Concrete Structures by Kim S. Elliott (2nd Edition) to get more info on precast structures built to Eurocode EC2.

I recommend the 2nd edition because it came with lots of updated researches.

You’ll also find in the book design exercise for 10 storey precast skeletal frame.

Im not so close to home, I’d have shared few pages from the book.

_________

Don’t take me too serious though. I’m just advanced baba lat with lots of materials and books on modern architecture.

Precast concrete is different from prefab home. The video of the Chinese 10 storey building was made off modular materials, not precast concrete.

High rise building frames can be built with precast concrete, at least. The keyword there is frame and concrete.

You can't bring up a purely stack Chinese modular home without frames or shear wall as a Chinese miracle and turn around to change mouth to start talking about precast concrete. The beams of most high-rise building here in Nigeria are built with the precast concrete element. The girders(beams) of most bridges in Nigeria are built with precast concrete which can either be reinforced or prestressed concrete element. They do this because it is cheaper and easier to control the concrete quality at the beam yard.

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:49am On Jun 24, 2021
somehow:
grin grin grin grin

People pay thousands of dollars just to go watch these engineering miracles.

7 out of the 10 longest bridges in the world are in China.

https:// www.worldatlas. com/articles/20-longest-bridges-in-the-world.html#

Are we talking about completely stack modular homes here or bridges?
The two may involve a lot of structural engineering work but their performance and behaviour under loads are different.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 8:53am On Jun 24, 2021
KolaShangOne:

I bought a FULL 16mm rod for 8,000 naira in Ibadan.

Kudos to the seller, I have not seen 16mm that full before in these parts.

8k for 16mm shocked shocked

Na wah, last I checked (sometimes early last year) it was 4200 or so.

I should have stocked up, by now I for don blow grin grin

But seriously though, things are getting wayyy out of hand now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 9:08am On Jun 24, 2021
Badgers14:

8k for 16mm shocked shocked

Na wah, last I checked (sometimes early last year) it was 4200 or so.

I should have stocked up, by now I for don blow grin grin

But seriously though, things are getting wayyy out of hand now.
thing is really getting out of hand.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:23am On Jun 24, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 9:24am On Jun 24, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 9:26am On Jun 24, 2021
n3xt:

_______

Good morning!

I wonder the audacity u use to type this flawed comment. You are so wrong. You really need to be englitened. Incase you don't know, the Chinese have the highest investment on research and development in the whole world. I have lived with the Chinese so I know what I'm saying.

In engineering there's what is called minimum and maximum stresses which a material can be subjected to before it can fail. Those materials used to install that building have been subjected to those stresses. I wonder why u stigmatized them. That's perhaps because u are short knowledged

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:30am On Jun 24, 2021
neduboo:

I wonder the audacity u use to type this flawed comment. You are so wrong. You really need to be englitened. Incase you don't know, the Chinese have the highest investment on research and development in the whole world. I have lived with the Chinese so I know what I'm saying.

Smiles.

You really need to go back and understand why I wrote what I wrote grin

It’s just a sarcastic remark. I know I am fantastically wrong.

Right here we were told Chinese build shitty structures.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 9:31am On Jun 24, 2021
Greenarrow01:
it is funny how we even think that a country that constructed the oldest wall in the world, a country that has been able to cater for the housing needs of its population of over 1.3 billion people, a country with the highest number of skyscrapers in the entire world will be erecting pre fabricated building here and there without considering so many factors. Very funny. Here in 9ja self, our local masons consider direction of wind in setting up certain things

The only thing why China things are cheaper is cos they are the master of machinery. They are very very advanced technologically.
Secondly, they don't pay much to their staff and lastly the most important one
they don't kill themselves with many laws and policies like the US.

You know nothing about the Chinese chairman. China has the highest investment in R & D in the whole world. You can go and find out.

If u want quality product u can get it in China likewise is you want a product of lesser quality. I don't think u have been to China. If u had been to China or have much knowledge about them, u will erase this ur flawed comment.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 9:33am On Jun 24, 2021
I am saying they have professional engineers too
They know what is best for them and must have considered what can work and not work before coming up with these constructions including the stack modular homes.

I am yet to read where any of the modular homes built in China collapsed within months/years.

abdulwastecx:

Are we talking about completely stack modular homes here or bridges?
The two may involve a lot of structural engineering work but their performance and behaviour under loads are different.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 9:34am On Jun 24, 2021
n3xt:

Smiles.

You really need to go back and understand why I wrote what I wrote grin

It’s just a sarcastic remark. I know I am fantastically wrong.

Right here we were told Chinese build shitty structures.

I taught as much. U looked too experienced to have to typed such.

As for your last statement, I think you were told that to de-marketise them. They world stigmatized them alot that even one of the reason they refused to open up their borders since the lockdown period.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 9:35am On Jun 24, 2021
Sarcasm lipsrsealed
neduboo:

In engineering there's what is called minimum and maximum stresses which a material can be subjected to before it can fail. Those materials used to install that building have been subjected to those stresses. I wonder why u stigmatized them. That's perhaps because u are short knowledged

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:45am On Jun 24, 2021
abdulwastecx:

Precast concrete is different from prefab home. The video of the Chinese 10 storey building was made off modular materials, not precast concrete.

High rise building frames can be built with precast concrete, at least. The keyword there is frame and concrete.

You can't bring up a purely stack Chinese modular home without frames or shear wall as a Chinese miracle and turn around to change mouth to start talking about precast concrete. The beams of most high-rise building here in Nigeria are built with the precast concrete element. The girders(beams) of most bridges in Nigeria are built with precast concrete which can either be reinforced or prestressed concrete element. They do this because it is cheaper and easier to control the concrete quality at the beam yard.

Responding to the bolded.

Have you seen the firm’s proprietary Bcore stainless steel slab? I am sure it wasn’t used solely for aesthetics.

The modular units were built on the Bcore slabs.

———-

I tried looking up the company doing this amazing job, they’ve been round for a while now and have dozens of verifiable developments that have not fail or fall.
________

My apologies for the precast/prefab mix up.
Few pages back, I shared that precast is the future before the Chinese story came up.
________

Pic - Bcore Stainless Steel Slab by the Broad Group

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KIDfurniture(m): 9:52am On Jun 24, 2021
Have u done german floor for the compound ? Scrap off affected area and reapply..this time with cement plz

Abolarin91:
"is your compound floor sealed" what do you mean sir?
The screeded part fall off before rainy season.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 10:25am On Jun 24, 2021
n3xt:

Responding to the bolded.

Have you seen the firm’s proprietary Bcore stainless steel slab? I am sure it wasn’t used solely for aesthetics.

The modular units were built on the Bcore slabs.

———-

I tried looking up the company doing this amazing job, they’ve been round for a while now and have dozens of verifiable developments that have not fail or fall.
________

My apologies for the precast/prefab mix up.
Few pages back, I shared that precast is the future before the Chinese story came up.
________

Pic - Bcore Stainless Steel Slab by the Broad Group

No problem bro. I will look it up.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 10:35am On Jun 24, 2021
New arrival Spanish tiles
WhatsApp:09077504287,07062955047

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 10:58am On Jun 24, 2021
Good morning sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 11:34am On Jun 24, 2021
WE BUY DEAD/SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead deep cycle batteries from any state to Lagos(T&C applies) .

12v 200a ..... N17,000
12v 150a.......N12,500
12v 100a.......N8,500
2v 500a ......N5,500

If outside Lagos state , send the scrap batteries to your nearby Lagos park & get your payment alert immediately after confirmatory remarks from me with the transport company manager / secretary or driver .

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:27pm On Jun 24, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 12:31pm On Jun 24, 2021
[We have not done German floor of the compound.
Thanks for your contribution sir, it really help!quote author=KIDfurniture post=103038460]Have u done german floor for the compound ? Scrap off affected area and reapply..this time with cement plz

[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (2280) (2281) (2282) (2283) (2284) (2285) (2286) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kopell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.