Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,822 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2440) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4382897 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2437) (2438) (2439) (2440) (2441) (2442) (2443) ... (3666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TEQ365VENTURES(m): 10:51pm On Sep 05, 2021
Good evening ppl I have a project going in ogun state and would love to know the processes involved in getting plan approval. Already I have the structural and architectural drawings would love to know if these are enough to apply. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 11:00pm On Sep 05, 2021
TEQ365VENTURES:
Good evening ppl I have a project going in ogun state and would love to know the processes involved in getting plan approval. Already I have the structural and architectural drawings would love to know if these are enough to apply. Thanks

You need to get the MEP design also with COREN seal. You can contact us on Whatsapp 08033643191
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 11:06pm On Sep 05, 2021
kaoule:
Please I need advice on using subframe for my windows... I have seen a lot of problems with some Subframe; like of square, gaps after installation of the windows and other problems. Will it be advisable to install the windows directly?
boss gud evening
The sub frames is gud sir,
The functions of sub frames is to make the windows neat after the plaster, and if there is need of removing it, it can be possible to remove, dat just it,
It's extra cost,
It accommodate water to penetrate to in from out side if it's not screw well, and rime
See below of subframe windows I just finished in surulere,

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexProjects(m): 2:22am On Sep 06, 2021
You will still need MEP services drawing for Approval.
I contacted you for it sometimes ago.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexProjects(m): 2:27am On Sep 06, 2021
TEQ365VENTURES:
walexProjects:

You will still need MEP services drawing for Approval.
I contacted you for it sometimes ago.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 3:30am On Sep 06, 2021
IDnoble80:
oh I answered earlier on… it’s 5500 per sqm including Materials
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 3:33am On Sep 06, 2021
IDnoble80:
5500 per sqm sir.. materials inclusive can be lower a bit depending on size

Noted!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toyeoye(m): 6:01am On Sep 06, 2021
kaoule:
Please I need advice on using subframe for my windows... I have seen a lot of problems with some Subframe; like of square, gaps after installation of the windows and other problems. Will it be advisable to install the windows directly?

Subframe is not compulsory. I did not use it. Apart from the extra cost, if your workers are smart, they can install your windows without subframes and still achieve a perfect square/shape and without water gaps.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 7:35am On Sep 06, 2021
topsy23:

You need to get the MEP design also with COREN seal. You can contact us on Whatsapp 08033643191
What’s MEP and how much will it cost and what’s the benefit in getting the approval
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dubemcapital1(m): 7:45am On Sep 06, 2021
I greet my big ogas in the house una Weldon o, I have not been in for some time. Hope I have not missed a lot.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 7:47am On Sep 06, 2021
You will need the survey plan if you've not gotten one already.

TEQ365VENTURES:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 8:21am On Sep 06, 2021
We're still waiting or our next clients...

Contact CHOICE COST CONSULT for for quantity surveying services, viz-a-viz

1) Bill of Quantities (Projected estimated cost of construction).
2) Materials and Labour Schedule (breakdown of cost of materials and labour respectively for your construction projects).
3) Valuation of ongoing construction works (know the cost of already existing or ongoing construction).
4) Bidding and Tendering for construction jobs (As a contractor bidding for jobs, you need competitive tender to win the job. Nobody can help you out except a quantity surveyor.
5) Pricing of blank/unpriced bill of quantities for tendering purposes.
6) Invitation, pre-qualification and selection of contractor based on suitable tendering procedure. Don't award your jobs to the least bidder bit the least responsive bidder. Be smart. Don't let contractors fool you.
7) Contract administration from inception to completion of your projects. (interpretation of conditions of contract is one of the duties of a smart quantity surveyor).
cool Preparation of both feasibility and viability studies (if you're engaging in a commercial construction works, know the payback period and rate of investment of your projects. Nobody does it better than a quantity surveyor.
9) Life cycle costing
10) Cost control
11) Cash flow forecasting
Etc

Contact us today.
Mobile no: 09012800750

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:44am On Sep 06, 2021
We are still here for your electrical, cctv, intercom, audio system installations

https://www.nairaland.com/5681155/electrical-audio-system-cctv-fire/112

Currently working at ikeja & Lekki

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 9:10am On Sep 06, 2021
THE PROBLEM OF PERFECTLY CUT AND STRAIGHT WOOD IN NIGERIA.

I lifted the first attached photo from Spyder's Remodeling Hall Project: https://www.nairaland.com/5921575/remodelling-reconstruction-town-hall-pictures/3

Looking at the wood network and the snake like nature of most of the woods, I just ask myself and you all here that supply wood, why is it near impossible to get perfectly cut to size and straight wood in Nigeria? What is the issue?

Is it lack of investment, lack of skilled woodworkers, the Nigerian factor of any way na way or we are just blind as a country to perfection and detail.

Why can't the Association of Nigeria Sawmillers up and down the country self regulation as done in the western world to proscribe industrial standard of wood cutting and sawmilling? I don't want to mention the government. This is a case of self regulation by the Sawmillers Association.

I have had a look online at the investment profile for a sawmill. As from 5 million Naira, one can set up a modern sawmill that can cut perfect wood. I think the Sawmillers Association can do better. It is not impossible to produce perfectly cut straight woods. I think it's the Nigerian factor.

Any how, any how. All go na go.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 9:19am On Sep 06, 2021
Paints don't just speak about colors, it tell of taste. The beauty of all you expended on your structures is finalized by the Quality of Paint You apply on it. I strongly Advise that You buy Products directly from The Company. Value paints AND BUFFALO paints are Quality Paint products prepared to bring out the beauty of your structures. Giving you a perfect and cool finish all at fine price.
For your Direct Supply Of Quality at affordable value paints AND BUFFALO paints from The Company;
Call or Whatsapp Mr Nass. 08163862804.
A trial will convince You.

2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 9:25am On Sep 06, 2021
diordaves:

I lifted the first attached photo from Spyder's Remodeling Hall Project: https://www.nairaland.com/5921575/remodelling-reconstruction-town-hall-pictures/3

Looking at the wood network and the snake like nature of most of the woods, I just ask myself and you all here that supply wood, why is it near impossible to get perfectly cut to size and straight wood in Nigeria? What is the issue?

Is it lack of investment, lack of skilled woodworkers, the Nigerian factor of any way na way or we are just blind as a country to perfection and detail.

Why can't the Association of Nigeria Sawmillers up and down the country self regulation as done in the western world to proscribe industrial standard of wood cutting and sawmilling? I don't want to mention the government. This is a case of self regulation by the Sawmillers Association.

I have had a look online at the investment profile for a sawmill. As from 5 million Naira, one can set up a modern sawmill that can cut perfect wood. I think the Sawmillers Association can do better. It is not impossible to produce perfectly cut straight woods. I think it's the Nigerian factor.

People don't take pride in their work anymore.

Most businesses/artisans don't invest in themselves.

The kind of jagajaga work people do these days will make someone shed tears..

My family sent me a picture recently and I was looking at one of the kitchen stools my grand mother used in the 70s. Built with care, all lines perfect. The chair was built by a village carpenter (not a premium service).

But compared to what my sister just built for her kitchen recently, jagajaga, wood not straight, not properly aligned.. it looks very embarrassing.

It is a sad thing, everyone will blame blame the government for this and that but I ask them, do you remit your business profit to the government as well?

I don't think there's any association in Nigeria that enforces standard not even the Nigerian medical association or Nigeria bar association.. frankly, I don't even know they had sawmillers association. Most of this bodies just collect collect dues that's all. No pride in their trade.. very shameful indeed!

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:33am On Sep 06, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:42am On Sep 06, 2021
diordaves:

You're even looking too far.

Woodmizer line of sawmill is available in Nigeria at https://www.gz-supplies.com/wood-sawmill-machine-wood-mizer-lt20b-series/

Operating a sawmill is one o the things that I'm interested in but will need investors for that since it's more than a one man show. It's also outside of my core competency of Automobile, Real Estate and Renewable Energy. I have the land for it and even have cut trees being aged on one of my plots.

Oya N3xt, maybe you and that your rich blow hard Uncle can set up one or na only junkyard or is it auction yard motorcycles una dey do? grin

PS: Where can I take the thread this week? shocked

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 9:45am On Sep 06, 2021
We are available this week..: csll us for your pop and wall screeding

https://www.nairaland.com/6564561/pop-design-tv-wall-installation/30#105537943

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:51am On Sep 06, 2021
bolu1986:
We are available this week..: csll us for your pop and wall screeding

https://www.nairaland.com/6564561/pop-design-tv-wall-installation/30#105537943

Very nice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 9:59am On Sep 06, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Very nice.
Thank you sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 10:04am On Sep 06, 2021
We just delivered this project, LEKKI CENTRAL MOSQUE DORMITORY, I oversaw mechanical aspect of the project for my boss (Mutmark & Associates) from foundation to installation, thank God we delivered,

Reach out to me for your mep design & installation,

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Temi1(m): 10:22am On Sep 06, 2021
Good morning Builders,

Please I need your guidance on plastering. I am just about finishing the MEP of my project and will be proceeding to plastering. I would like to know the estimated materials and labour costs it would take to do the plastering. See below the floor plan. The wall height on each level is roughly 3.3 metres.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by naijacreativeha(f): 10:31am On Sep 06, 2021
TEQ365VENTURES:
For survey plan call or WhatsApp me on 09036346989
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 10:33am On Sep 06, 2021
WE BUY DEAD/SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead deep cycle batteries from any state to Lagos (Terms & Condition applies) .

12v 200a .... N17,000
12v 150a.....N12,500
12v 100a.......N8,500
2v 500a ......N5,500

If outside Lagos state , send the scrap batteries to your nearby Lagos park & get your payment alert immediately after confirmatory remarks from me with the transport company manager / secretary or driver ..

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 10:57am On Sep 06, 2021
diordaves:

Thank you for pointing the lapses in wood quality as it affects the total quality of work done, but I think you are using the wrong picture to illustrate this. Those wood there were placed by my carpenters in a random way because they are not needed for a straight flat ceiling work. They did this with my approval, that's what the particular job needed.

We were planning for a POP ceiling and in that type of work, the priority is on wood strength, ability to carry the weight of the ceiling, not wood alignment. Ceiling workers only need somewhere to hook their ceiling carriers, it mustn't necessarily be straight in this instance.

But I must agree that the quality of wood in our markets are shambolic to say the least, I have had cause to reject some wood, refuse to start a work or even reject a work offer just because of the wood quality. In the markets, if you hear 2x4x16 wood, expect to see 1 1/2 x 3 x 13 wood.

There is zero checks by any government body, saw mills are just pushing out any quality of wood according to their mood swings, some even deliberately reduce the sizes to make more profits. Big saw mills factor in the complete wood, and then raise their prices accordingly. So it's not a lack of knowledge on their part, it's a desire to beat the system and walk away with as much profit as possible.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:17am On Sep 06, 2021
Let's use these images as a better illustration, I had to walk round the whole market before I selected these wood from a dealer and it was a long story. The quality of wood in our markets are depreciating daily.

I came to this market and found out that there were no 'complete' woods of 2x4x16 of good quality, I was looking out for hardwood that is very reliable. There was simply none on the stalls, so I went and waited on one man I knew that always brings in new stock on Mondays. I arrived the market early on Monday morning to see his boys offloading wood. They wanted to load my truck and they started selecting good wood and removing them, I am very familiar with this sorting trick and I raised an objection to that. I stopped the loading more than once, when the owner came, he tried to persuade me that this is how the whole wood came in from Benue state, I knew, but why would he sell to me the wood they sorted, why not just offload everything since I was buying up to 700 lengths?

The owner later helped to speak to them, and they gave me something considerably better than what is obtainable elsewhere. I also paid more for the supply. The trick is that wood gets sorted as they offload, good ones are placed one side while fair ones are placed on another side, then expert loaders will arrange the fair ones to look neat and straight, to confuse those who are not conversant with their tricks. The good ones sorted differently are sold at a higher cost to those who appreciate quality.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 11:31am On Sep 06, 2021
EgunMogaji2:
https://www.nairaland.com/6736166/workers-ripping-me-site
there's something I learnt yesterday, create known boundaries between yourself and your workers. Cause if you don't, they will abuse that privilege and take advantage of you.

And trust me if the tables were turned, they won't give you same treatment.

Once again, create stern boundaries between and your workers cause it's only then they will respect you and stay in shape

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 11:36am On Sep 06, 2021
THANKS TO @Gbadexy for the Prompt service delivery.

Greater heights ahead.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:49am On Sep 06, 2021
spyder880:

Thank you for pointing the lapses in wood quality as it affects the total quality of work done, but I think you are using the wrong picture to illustrate this. Those wood there were placed by my carpenters in a random way because they are not needed for a straight flat ceiling work. They did this with my approval, that's what the particular job needed.

We were planning for a POP ceiling and in that type of work, the priority is on wood strength, ability to carry the weight of the ceiling, not wood alignment. Ceiling workers only need somewhere to hook their ceiling carriers, it mustn't necessarily be straight in this instance.

But I must agree that the quality of wood in our markets are shambolic to say the least, I have had cause to reject some wood, refuse to start a work or even reject a work offer just because of the wood quality. In the markets, if you hear 2x4x16 wood, expect to see 1 1/2 x 3 x 13 wood.

There is zero checks by any government body, saw mills are just pushing out any quality of wood according to their mood swings, some even deliberately reduce the sizes to make more profits. Big saw mills factor in the complete wood, and then raise their prices accordingly. So it's not a lack of knowledge on their part, it's a desire to beat the system and walk away with as much profit as possible.

Very well said.

My take is not on the KNOWLEDGE on that job which is not in short supply. So even if the woods are for ceiling as you rightly highlighted, such wonky wood should not leave a sawmill as commercial sale. A well cut right size wood for ceiling work should be readily available in Nigeria without the shenanigans. This is take.

This is what I can't understand. If you have the right machine and the right production process, you won't deliberately cut wonky woods. Think about the cement industry consistently ONLY producing wonky cements with no alternative or the electrical cable industry or the steel industry. Lives will be lost. I think the sawmill industry needs looking into by the regulatory bodies with a view to having (for example) a NAFDAC number or NIS (number) codification as done to other manufacturers in the country.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 11:59am On Sep 06, 2021
spyder880:
Let's use these images as a better illustration, I had to walk round the whole market before I selected these wood from a dealer and it was a long story. The quality of wood in our markets are depreciating daily.

I came to this market and found out that there were no 'complete' woods of 2x4x16 of good quality, I was looking out for hardwood that is very reliable. There was simply none on the stalls, so I went and waited on one man I knew that always brings in new stock on Mondays. I arrived the market early on Monday morning to see his boys offloading wood. They wanted to load my truck and they started selecting good wood and removing them, I am very familiar with this sorting trick and I raised an objection to that. I stopped the loading more than once, when the owner came, he tried to persuade me that this is how the whole wood came in from Benue state, I knew, but why would he sell to me the wood they sorted, why not just offload everything since I was buying up to 700 lengths?

The owner later helped to speak to them, and they gave me something considerably better than what is obtainable elsewhere. I also paid more for the supply. The trick is that wood gets sorted as they offload, good ones are placed one side while fair ones are placed on another side, then expert loaders will arrange the fair ones to look neat and straight, to confuse those who are not conversant with their tricks. The good ones sorted differently are sold at a higher cost to those who appreciate quality.

Bakassi has been the saviour.. doors for my house were gotten from bakassi

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 12:01pm On Sep 06, 2021
Jasobry:

Bakassi has been the saviour.. doors for my house were gotten from bakassi

It's not easy my brother, I even have to measure every wood for the doors of the houses I am building to be sure they are not short changing me. I also monitor their finish to ensure a smooth surface.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2437) (2438) (2439) (2440) (2441) (2442) (2443) ... (3666) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kalu61(m), gentlesoul83(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.