Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,417 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2611) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4390671 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2608) (2609) (2610) (2611) (2612) (2613) (2614) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 9:50pm On Nov 27, 2021
hamtabfawaz:

Some Engineers Actually do this! They extort every Contractor , Artisans & and vendors who comes to their site. If you don't give them what they want, they will Paint you & your job badly to the owner.

A good topic for discussion tho.

Should Engineers / Architect /(People Very closely related to the owner) seek ishakole or egunje from Contractors, Artisans & vendors?!!
I'm on it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:13pm On Nov 27, 2021
princenomics:
Please can you sketch or show a 3 bedroom plan with the non negotiable elements, especially point 2 (sun light at the corridor)
Regards

You make it sound like I'm an architect. I am not an architect............not even close. I just need to get that off the way to avoid any confusion.

Now take a look at the attached plan I lifted online from The Sater Design. This is one plan I admire so much and making some minor changes to for my forever home in Nigeria. This is a sprawling four-bedroom bungalow with THREE CAR GARAGE. Despite the size, more than 95% of the design has access to natural ventilation and sunlight. Notice the flow from the KITCHEN to the DINING ROOM to the LIVING ROOM to the STUDY. All with access to natural ventilation and sunlight.

Notice BEDROOM 1. This is practically the Guest Room. Notice how this was positioned away from the rest of the house and very independent with an ensuite toilet and even a walk-in closet (WIC). Notice how the LEISURE ROOM which is the family is positioned close to the VERANDAH, so you receive guests in the Living room and the rest of the family can unwind in the leisure room. Now see the rendition of the verandah also attached; can you see how the verandah is helping to pour breeze and sunlight into the house?

Now notice the FOYER (I've also attached the rendition of the Foyer), from the rendition attached, can you see how the foyer gives the house a grand stately entry? Every home should have a foyer or as we call it in Nigeria; ante room and a verandah. Nigeria is a hot climate.

Now the MASTER SUITE is a full-blown flat within a bungalow with a MASTER BATH fit for a king.

Most of these are just my personal choice on how I live but the three non-negotiable elements are present: there is the flow, next to non-dark spaces, and very superb ventilation.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:28pm On Nov 27, 2021
BrickDevo:

There’s one that seemed perfect, i actually downloaded it for reference purposes

If I remember correctly, there was a concern that it didn’t have an ante room and a dedicated VT.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:29pm On Nov 27, 2021
Horlardorjah:

If it's open to outsiders and there is still an access door to the main building from there. It's as good as pretending to come for prayers and with matchet forcing occupant to move in also there will surely be a day or even days that the door will be left unlocked from inside by occupants unintentionally n I can just try my luck opening it to access the house.
My thoughts though

Okay got it.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:32pm On Nov 27, 2021
uncleteeh:

Yeah. You are right about this.
It's possible.
But those that have engaged architects here always ended up as happy clients.

I don’t doubt happy customers. My thing is I’m sure if you posted that plan that your client was happy with you’ll still get suggestions.

There’s at least a 40 feet walk from my living room to VT. And I also have a central courtyard. I love my plan but many disagreed with it.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 10:34pm On Nov 27, 2021
diordaves:

This is a sprawling four-bedroom bungalow with THREE CAR GARAGE. Despite the size, more than 95% of the design has access to natural ventilation and sunlight.

Notice BEDROOM can you see how the verandah is helping to pour breeze and sunlight into the house?

Most of these are just my personal choice on how I live but the three non-negotiable elements are present: there is the flow, next to non-dark spaces, and very superb ventilation.
I would argue that a house must have 95% access to natural ventilation and lighting, if it doesn't have 95% that does not make it a bad design. Yet in this your building reference some places lacks natural lighting and perhaps ventilation too, even that bath looks impractical to me, coming from a plumber's point of view.

I feel if you can get 70% of lightning then it is okay, another thing people tend to neglect is orientation, there's a way you position your building even if you have just one window air will find its way in, but will not stay for long.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:34pm On Nov 27, 2021
uncleteeh:

Not, it can never be perfect.
Criticism will always arise.
An architect only needs to deliver the best.

I’m satisfied with this.

So potential homeowners need to realize this when they come for criticism.

It doesn’t necessarily make the architect an unlicensed baba draftsman.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 10:39pm On Nov 27, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

If I remember correctly, there was a concern that it didn’t have an ante room and a dedicated VT.
Ante room is surplus to requirements, there's some kind of a decorated entrance, some rooms don't have closet even, shows client is on a tight budget and wants to keep it simple, that plan is ok, please what is VT?
Tbh most house plans can't be 100% perfect, unless the exterior design will look awful and complex.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 10:46pm On Nov 27, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Okay got it.

Yes BOSS, baba OH.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 10:50pm On Nov 27, 2021
FEGEITOK:
My snake in the house experience.

There is a small bath basin, don't think the proper name for it is bath tub: small enough to stand in but not big enough to lie in. I'm sure the description is clear enough to get.

Turns out the finishing between it and the wall/the rest of the bathroom floor was degraded. It was through that space that a snake came into the bathroom/toilet and from there into the house, which thankfully I was able to see as it left the bathroom for one of the rooms.

After the snake was killed, I investigated further.

The bath basin lay on sand, there was no DPC and there was no proper German floor.

The chamber was on the other side of the bathroom wall.

So the snake found its way into either the soakaway or the chamber and from there into the house.

Remediation: built a 6 inch high German floor in the bathroom and thoroughly sealed the point where the floor meets the wall.

Afterthought: It is a very good idea to incorporate DPC into builds and make a thick enough German floor.

Looks like they made a very light mortar paste on the floor and then set up the bath basin and the tiles.

But I then eliminated that bath basin from the bathroom/toilet.

I also think that the bathroom is not the place to economize on the cement to sand ratio given that that area sees a lot of water.

The sentence in bold is where I have been have problems believing.

Please, do you have a hole into the soakaway or into the chamber?

I have studied all the soakaway system we have been doing, and I still find it difficult to believe a snake will get into the soakaway system from the surrounding ground, and then find it's way into the house through the pipes, up the chambers and come up from the toilet bowl. The journey seems too far for a reptile to make it into the house.

I can understand the entry point through a broken chamber, but the soakaway seems a more circuitous route for an animal which doesn't live all its life in water. In the tropics like Nigeria, the temperature of the inside of a soakaway could be very high under a hot sun, with very little air circulation.

Another entry point I have been suspecting is the toilet air vent. Those vents which come out from the top walls and is usually covered, a snake can climb down into the pipe if its left uncovered and then climb into the pipe, through the chamber and then find a way to climb into the WC because it can swim in cold water.

We're just investigating sha o cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 10:56pm On Nov 27, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I’m satisfied with this.

So potential homeowners need to realize this when they come for criticism.

It doesn’t necessarily make the architect an unlicensed baba draftsman.

Exactly, I agree with you on this.
Even homeowners wouldn't give us the brief like they gave their architect prior to coming up with the design. What I just believe is, a good and sound architect will know which to pick and which to ignore from opinions gathered by homeowners from here n sent down to him/her.
But all the same, better soup na money kill am. Your architects can go extra mile provided the right fee is paid. Dont come for me on this oh baba
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 11:03pm On Nov 27, 2021
diordaves:

You make it sound like I'm an architect. I am not an architect............not even close. I just need to get that off the way to avoid any confusion.

Now take a look at the attached plan I lifted online from The Sater Design. This is one plan I admire so much and making some minor changes to for my forever home in Nigeria. This is a sprawling four-bedroom bungalow with THREE CAR GARAGE. Despite the size, more than 95% of the design has access to natural ventilation and sunlight. Notice the flow from the KITCHEN to the DINING ROOM to the LIVING ROOM to the STUDY. All with access to natural ventilation and sunlight.

Notice BEDROOM 1. This is practically the Guest Room. Notice how this was positioned away from the rest of the house and very independent with an ensuite toilet and even a walk-in closet (WIC). Notice how the LEISURE ROOM which is the family is positioned close to the VERANDAH, so you receive guests in the Living room and the rest of the family can unwind in the leisure room. Now see the rendition of the verandah also attached; can you see how the verandah is helping to pour breeze and sunlight into the house?

Now notice the FOYER (I've also attached the rendition of the Foyer), from the rendition attached, can you see how the foyer gives the house a grand stately entry? Every home should have a foyer or as we call it in Nigeria; ante room and a verandah. Nigeria is a hot climate.

Now the MASTER SUITE is a full-blown flat within a bungalow with a MASTER BATH fit for a king.

WAW!
Na Miami houses be this OH!
Many many to say on this but the most important thing is YOU the homeowner want n love it this WAY

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 11:33pm On Nov 27, 2021
spyder880:

I have studied all the soakaway system we have been doing, and I still find it difficult to believe a snake will get into the soakaway system from the surrounding ground, and then find it's way into the house through the pipes, up the chambers and come up from the toilet bowl. The journey seems too far for a reptile to make it into the house.

I can understand the entry point through a broken chamber, but the soakaway seems a more circuitous route for an animal which doesn't live all its life in water. In the tropics like Nigeria, the temperature of the inside of a soakaway could be very high under a hot sun, with very little air circulation.

Another entry point I have been suspecting is the toilet air vent. Those vents which come out from the top walls and is usually covered, a snake can climb down into the pipe if its left uncovered and then climb into the pipe, through the chamber and then find a way to climb into the WC because it can swim in cold water.

There were holes in the hollow blocks in the bathroom.

The bathroom did not have a proper German floor.

The chamber shared a wall with the bathroom wall, indeed it was on the other side of the bathroom. There were holes between the bathroom and the chamber.

There was not proper seal or separation between the floor on either side.

The bath basin had a number of rust spots, so water did not just leave the bath through the pipe only but through the partly rusted bath basin.

The quality of the mortar holding the hollow blocks at the floor level had given way.

This is not a recent incident.

Mine had nothing to do with the toilet bowl. I made that abundantly clear.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AlphamaleTech1(m): 11:46pm On Nov 27, 2021
kopell:
How many numbers of apartments this serve, how big can it be in size. If you don’t mind post some of your jobs here for us to see.

kopell:
How many numbers of apartments this serve, how big can it be in size. If you don’t mind post some of your jobs here for us to see.

The standard size of a bio digester is 2 ft wide and 6ft long.

One digester will serve 4 flats... So if u av 8 flats in aa building, that means you are making 2 bio digester.... It can work for both private and public building and it doesn't affect ground water unlike the old smelling soak away.

The last picture is what we call THE FILTER

It seperates the human waste from the water immediately when u flush.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 12:06am On Nov 28, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 12:49am On Nov 28, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I don’t doubt happy customers. My thing is I’m sure if you posted that plan that your client was happy with you’ll still get suggestions.

There’s at least a 40 feet walk from my living room to VT. And I also have a central courtyard. I love my plan but many disagreed with it.
That's just it sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 1:55am On Nov 28, 2021
Jasobry:

How much is the wash hand basin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:56am On Nov 28, 2021
AlphamaleTech1:

The standard size of a bio digester is 2 ft wide and 6ft long.

One digester will serve 4 flats...
So if u av 8 flats in aa building, that means you are making 2 bio digester.... It can work for both private and public building and it doesn't affect ground water unlike the old smelling soak away.

The last picture is what we call THE FILTER

It seperates the human waste from the water immediately when u flush.

Maybe you did and I missed it but these are the pertinent information people need.

Now price.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 5:25am On Nov 28, 2021
FEGEITOK:

There were holes in the hollow blocks in the bathroom.

The bathroom did not have a proper German floor.

The chamber shared a wall with the bathroom wall, indeed it was on the other side of the bathroom. There were holes between the bathroom and the chamber.

There was not proper seal or separation between the floor on either side.

The bath basin had a number of rust spots, so water did not just leave the bath through the pipe only but through the partly rusted bath basin.

The quality of the mortar holding the hollow blocks at the floor level had given way.

This is not a recent incident.

Mine had nothing to do with the toilet bowl. I made that abundantly clear.

I hope this helps.

Well noted Sir, thank you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:37am On Nov 28, 2021
Is this tile available?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 5:43am On Nov 28, 2021
spyder880:

Well noted Sir, thank you.

One more detail that I forgot but that I just recalled as I was reading your mention. Earthworms used to come into the bathroom from time to time. That tells you the quality of work that was done, and why I went overboard with the remediation after the snake invasion.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 6:41am On Nov 28, 2021
DFAMEGUY11S:

Is there anyone lesser?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:25am On Nov 28, 2021
Horlardorjah:

Exactly, I agree with you on this.
Even homeowners wouldn't give us the brief like they gave their architect prior to coming up with the design. What I just believe is, a good and sound architect will know which to pick and which to ignore from opinions gathered by homeowners from here n sent down to him/her.
But all the same, better soup na money kill am. Your architects can go extra mile provided the right fee is paid. Dont come for me on this oh baba

When designing for a client, I always ask for the ”must-have” and ”nice-to-have” features of the build to come up with an acceptable design that meets his/her needs.

Because I do custom designs most time, I don’t go with popular opinions but go with what works best for my client.
This explains the reason why the design architect should always lead a construction project. He has the mind of the project owner.

If you ask a MEP consultant about the same drawing, he’d come from MEP point of view. Likewise,. a structural engineer might tell you why you need more columns and beams.

The most important thing is functionality of the build.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:41am On Nov 28, 2021
spyder880:

Baba I hope you know snakes can’t make a u-turn. It’ll either die inside the pipes or struggle to reach the end.

Also with the way we design our septic tank/bathroom system to reduce the number of pipes we’ll use, I believe anything is possible.

The snake that we found in my electrical draw box didn’t enter through the pipes. It came in through the space between the wall tiles and the wall broken by the electrician while laying the 2 inches pipes

You know how plumbers and electricians do their stuffs when they break walls and do little patching leaving the rest for the plastering crew or the tilers to finish up.

I wish I can make a video of this for learning purpose.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AlphamaleTech1(m): 7:52am On Nov 28, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Maybe you did ancient missed it but these are the pertinent information people need.

Now price.

A bio digester cost #200,000 materials inclusive; means u ain't buying any material or any other cost aside the #200,000.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AlphamaleTech1(m): 7:56am On Nov 28, 2021
somehow:
Please drop a link to your Facebook page.

Contacted you on whatsapp

Just search for alphamale bio digester on Facebook or even google.

Whatsapp

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AlphamaleTech1(m): 7:58am On Nov 28, 2021
somehow:
Okay, before then, do you have any thread on NL you opened specifically for any of your projects with images?

Sure, just search for alphamale bio digester on Facebook, I have a page there.

Whatsapp. 08165641857
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AlphamaleTech1(m): 7:59am On Nov 28, 2021
somehow:

Can I see your previous projects?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:01am On Nov 28, 2021
>> Keeping Snakes Off Your Building

Snakes live under houses where the conditions are warm and dry, and can get in through any opening larger than 1 inch.

For me, I use wire mesh with holes no larger than 1cm square over all potential entry points.
Keep your building rodent free. Snakes love to eat them (rat, lizards, etc)

Maintain a very clean compound and keep the lawn low at all times. Snakes vanishes as soon as it sees a predator larger than it coming its way.

Just as mother hen will protect her eggs/chicks, a snake will protect its eggs if they’re inside your building and this means it’ll attack you.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:08am On Nov 28, 2021
diordaves:

I love Sater Designs.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:05am On Nov 28, 2021
@kiekie1

I need service of a professional solar inverter installer to help me do audit of a fully installed system before commissioning.
I’ll need someone who’s conversant with lithium battery.

I just need an external person to do this.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 9:17am On Nov 28, 2021
Jasobry:

Is there anyone lesser?
like how much

(1) (2) (3) ... (2608) (2609) (2610) (2611) (2612) (2613) (2614) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: huzzman, Destiny27(m), Loftus(m), Bovijean and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.