Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,107 members, 7,828,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2627) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4427975 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2624) (2625) (2626) (2627) (2628) (2629) (2630) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by IDnoble80: 8:17am On Dec 04, 2021
n3xt:

How much refund are we looking at sir? And what constitute that figure maybe you can share so that people can understand why my head is tuning on its own.

Is it the figure in the review 1 or review 2 or review 3 or my own figure?

Baba you just like me to be in the news for whatever reason, something you will meet your client and trash this out? And you are here blabbing… bro try and grow up and sort this haba

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:24am On Dec 04, 2021
We are still in ado Ekiti

Did a visit to this school the biggest I have seen in Nigeria so far… in terms of structures

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bayo2018: 8:26am On Dec 04, 2021
Good day Bosses here

Pls kindly help do a review to the figure given to me on kitchen cabinet of (4) self contain Chiefo.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 8:26am On Dec 04, 2021
coldcandy:

It's possible ooo...in onitsha.
In Osha, neighbors shake hands through their windows, even on the fifth floor.
grin grin grin
That's unhealthy living.
This country ehn!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 8:33am On Dec 04, 2021
Let's do you a classy masterpiece.
That's what we do at OAKGroup.
+2348108408732
oakgroupdesigns@gmail.com

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 8:38am On Dec 04, 2021
n3xt:

How much refund are we looking at sir? And what constitute that figure maybe you can share so that people can understand why my head is tuning on its own.

Is it the figure in review 1 or review 2 or review 3 or my own figure?

I didn't give you any figure, so stop playing around.

What is the meaning of review 1 or 2 or 3? why do we need review 3 if you already accepted review 1 or 2?
So why ask which refund when you have the last official review?

You were given room to come evaluate the job you did and come up with your own personal valuation the same day of termination. You failed to show up nor sent anyone.

The QS @ QSfemi who happens to have picked your own quotation when 3 bids were tendered for the project came and did his valuation.

I don't want to list the manner in which you kept insulting him while the valuation was ongoing. none of his valuations got accepted by you, you kept picking holes but never came up with yours for 1 month plus (Is this what someone who truly wanted this sorted reasonably does?)

The last valuation remains the official valuation upon which I want my refund. the laughable "valuation" you sent in after I sent the ball back into your court can't even fly before you and I know you sent such just to buy more time then.

I paid you ahead of time just for you to make sure you buy all the materials needed to complete the job, so you have no right to complain about the current prices we completed the jobs you failed to do after giving almost 5 extra months.

Enough said. You have my verdict and warnings already, whatever you do with them is left to you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:10am On Dec 04, 2021
somehow:

The last valuation remains the official valuation upon which I want my refund. the laughable "valuation" you sent in after I sent the ball back into your court can't even fly before you and I know you sent such just to buy more time then.

Oh... I guess the QS didn’t inform you that I found some other holes in the last valuation and he agreed to do another review before you came in and said the approach is no longer working since I’m debunking fictitious claims.

Please kindly reconfirm this from the QS sir.

The holes I found were undisputed errors in the biased valuation report hence the reason for long and endless reviews.
Otherwise, there won’t be need for reviews if the first valuation was fair and credible.

Nobody need my presence to do what’s fair and just.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 9:30am On Dec 04, 2021
What on earth are you blabbing about?
Posting what was discussed before I told you to send yours in?

Have you not gotten the 3rd review already? did it change anything?

I will stop here. I am not on this thread to waste my effort exchanging words that you're good at.

5 days will tell.

n3xt:

Oh... I guess the QS didn’t inform you that I found some other holes in the last valuation and he agreed to do another review before you came in and said the approach is no longer working since I’m debunking fictitious claims.

Please kindly reconfirm this from the QS sir.

The holes I found were undisputed errors in the biased valuation report hence the reason for long and endless reviews.
Otherwise, there won’t be need for reviews if the first valuation was fair and credible.

Nobody need my presence to do what’s fair and just.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 10:07am On Dec 04, 2021
somehow:

I didn't give you any figure, so stop playing around.

What is the meaning of review 1 or 2 or 3? why do we need review 3 if you already accepted review 1 or 2?
So why ask which refund when you have the last official review?

You were given room to come evaluate the job you did and come up with your own personal valuation the same day of termination. You failed to show up nor sent anyone.

The QS @ QSfemi who happens to have picked your own quotation when 3 bids were tendered for the project came and did his valuation.

I don't want to list the manner in which you kept insulting him while the valuation was ongoing. none of his valuations got accepted by you, you kept picking holes but never came up with yours for 1 month plus (Is this what someone who truly wanted this sorted reasonably does?)

I paid you ahead of time just for you to make sure you buy all the materials needed to complete the job, so you have no right to complain about the current prices we completed the jobs you failed to do after giving almost 5 extra months.

Enough said. You have my verdict and warnings already, whatever you do with them is left to you.
Two factors are the real issue here. Current inflation and the economics of scale..
When judgments are made in court, especially in civil matters regarding claims, it is not usually to punish the defaulting party but to reinstate the other party to their original status.
In this case, the client was originally able to afford the service for a certain budget without additional expenses ( This is Client’s original state). After certain duration of contract, and subsequent termination of the contract client now needed additional fund to achieve exactly what was initially contracted.
The fair thing is for client to be reinstated to original state. Client is not asking for interest.
Whether a compromise would be reached Is another issue .

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MRFIXER001: 11:09am On Dec 04, 2021
grin grin
uncleteeh:

grin grin grin
That's unhealthy living.
This country ehn!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 12:40pm On Dec 04, 2021
I have said all I need to say here concerning the dispute arising from the Trillion park project involving the client @Somehow and the contractor @N3xt.

The only question I'll ask you @N3xt, irrespective of your vituperations towards my person, is how much are you due for refund, in your own competent valuation, on the project since you already accepted that you're owing some amount on the project?

At this point, I've a duty to set some records straight and establish the facts of the Trillion Park Building project belonging to my client, known here as Somehow.

There's an undeniable fact that there's already an ongoing dispute between the project owner and the contractor who happens to be a known member of this noble thread - @N3xt.

As a Professional Quantity Surveyor, I owe a duty of care to my client, the project and the contractor and I've sworn an oath to discharge my quantity surveying duties to the best of my knowledge and competence without fear or favour. That has always been my mantra and I've lived up to this expectations as best as I could. This is evident considering the myriads of clients that have patronised my services here on this thread, many of whom, I did not even know in person.
Most of the clients I have worked for here can attest to my competence, sincerity and most importantly integrity.

For the record, I recommended Next Home and Builders, the company name of N3xt for the award of the contract anonymously after I have reviewed three quotations at my disposal. I made the recommendation without knowing any of the contractors because it was the client that sourced for them. It was after the contract has been awarded to Messrs Next Home and Builders that I get to know the personality behind the name. That means that there wasn't any bias from my end towards the award. For the record again, the tender sum of the contractor that won the award was not the lowest among the three. For those following my professional writings here, I've emphasized times without number that projects are awarded to the least responsive bid. The project was awarded to the contractor at his own tender price.

The scope of work for the contract entails the construction of the carcass of the building including the roofing. The contract was meant to run for just two months commencing from March to April.

In September 24th, I recommended the termination of Next Homes and Builders contract after the project has been overrun by 5 months and there wasn't any real action being shown towards the completion of the contract by the said contractor. After the termination, the contractor was asked to prepare and submit a handover notes and present himself on site for assessment of work done and undone in order to have a financial reconciliation. The contractor failed not only in submitting a handover note but also in presenting himself on the 28th of September which was the date I eventually visited the site for the first time. It should be on record too that the contractor failed to even send a representative.

As it stands now, there's dispute on the contract as to how much is due for refund. I've presented my client's refund amount due to the contractor which has been contested on several occasions with some reviews even done to accommodate some of his logical submissions.

Professionally, in dispute resolution, the following four methods can be applied, viz.,

1). Mediation
2) Conciliation
3) Arbitration
4) Litigation

From all indications, the contractor wants the client to go to any length that he cares even to the point of litigation because there's no iota of commitment on his part towards resolving the issue.

I have advised prior to now that an independent registered Quantity Surveyor be engaged to establish the amount due for refund but no serious action has been taken to effect that.

@N3xt, I put it to you here that you do not want to go the way of Arbitration, which take a considerably lesser time, to adjudge the matter at hand. In your own interest, I will advise you here to seek alternative means of dispute resolution to have an amicable solution.

Cheers.

QsFemi.

34 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 12:46pm On Dec 04, 2021
QSFemi:
At this point, I've a duty to set some records straight and establish the facts of the Trillion Park Building project belonging to my client, known here as Somehow.

There's an undeniable fact that there's already an ongoing dispute between the project owner and the contractor who happens to be a known member of this noble thread - @N3xt.

As a Professional Quantity Surveyor, I owe a duty of care to my client, the project and the contractor and I've sworn an oath to discharge my quantity surveying duties to the best of my knowledge and competence without fear or favour. That has always been my mantra and I've lived up to this expectations as best as I could. This is evident considering the myriads of clients that have patronised my services here on this thread, many of whom, I did not even know in person.
Most of the clients I have worked for here can attest to my competence, sincerity and most importantly integrity.

For the record, I recommended Next Home and Builders, the company name of N3xt for the award of the contract anonymously after I have reviewed three quotations at my disposal. I made the recommendation without knowing any of the contractors because it was the client that sourced for them. It was after the contract has been awarded to Messrs Next Home and Builders that I get to know the personality behind the name. That means that there wasn't any bias from my end towards the award. For the record again, the tender sum of the contractor that won the award was not the lowest among the three. For those following my professional writings here, I've emphasized times without number that projects are awarded to the least responsive bid. The project was awarded to the contractor at his own tender price.

The scope of work for the contract entails the construction of the carcass of the building including the roofing. The contract was meant to run for just two months commencing from March to April.

In September 24th, I recommended the termination of Next Homes and Builders contract after the project has been overrun by 5 months and there wasn't any real action being shown towards the completion of the contract by the said contractor. After the termination, the contractor was asked to prepare and submit a handover notes and present himself on site for assessment of work done and undone in order to have a financial reconciliation. The contractor failed not only in submitting a handover note but also in presenting himself on the 28th of September which was the date I eventually visited the site for the first time. It should be on record too that the contractor failed to even send a representative.

As it stands now, there's dispute on the contract as to how much is due for refund. I've presented my client's refund amount due to the contractor which has been contested on several occasions with some reviews even done to accommodate some of his logical submissions.

Professionally, in dispute resolution, the following four methods can be applied, viz.,

1). Mediation
2) Conciliation
3) Arbitration
4) Litigation

From all indications, the contractor wants the client to go to any length that he cares even to the point of litigation because there's no iota of commitment on his part towards resolving the issue.

I have advised prior to now that an independent registered Quantity Surveyor be engaged to establish the amount due for refund but no serious action has been taken to effect that.

@N3xt, I put it to you here that you do not want to go the way of Arbitration, which take a considerably lesser time, to adjudge the matter at hand. In your own interest, I will advise you here to seek alternative means of dispute resolution to have an amicable solution.

Cheers.

QsFemi.

Not going to take sides, but you come across as very professional if the above is anything to go by.

Kudus

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 12:59pm On Dec 04, 2021
QSFemi:

QsFemi.

For those of us learning, what does the bolded mean sir?

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 1:02pm On Dec 04, 2021
QSFemi:

1). Mediation
2) Conciliation
3) Arbitration
4) Litigation

Cheers.

QsFemi.

To last for 3 months.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 1:07pm On Dec 04, 2021
Thank you for your question.

"Least responsive bid" means the amount in the tender that can actually execute the project.

A lot of contractors due to desperation for jobs and of lack of jobs would deliberately "lower" the actual cost of construction of a project in order to "lure" the client in. They believe that once the clients are committed financially that it would be difficult not to accede to their subsequent undue claims for more money which will definitely arise during the course of the project.

folmus:

For those of us learning, what does the bolded mean sir?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 1:07pm On Dec 04, 2021
AngelicBeing:
Old soldier never die wink

U get am . The hardship and instilled discipline of those years is still working for me wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 1:12pm On Dec 04, 2021
QSFemi:

"Least responsive bid" means the amount in the tender that can actually execute the project.

A lot of contractors due to desperation for jobs and of lack of jobs would deliberately "lower" the actual cost of construction of a project in order to "lure" the client in. They believe that once the clients are committed financially that it would be difficult not to accede to their subsequent undue claims for more money which will definitely arise during the course of the project.

Thank you very much!!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:20pm On Dec 04, 2021
[b][/b]
QSFemi:

1). Mediation
2) Conciliation
3) Arbitration
4) Litigation

Cheers.

QsFemi.
I find it difficult to understand above. The brand is everywhere, more so the company must have present its quotation with his company letterhead. Mr Bosun please try to learn NOT TO BE RIGHT ALLTIME. There is no need to always wash your laundry in public. Find ways to resolve your issues without public input, when both parties signed the contract it was in private.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 1:24pm On Dec 04, 2021
Shegman22:
+234 8137474247 tafotech alluminium

So you know femi ? . My greetings to him smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 1:54pm On Dec 04, 2021
kiekie1:
PANASONIC HOME THEATRE UP FOR SALE !!!

Description:
Panasonic XH105 energy efficient DVD home theatre system with remote control.
5.1 Channel
USB
30-41w peak power consumption
HDMI Cable
External HDD Play Back
Satellite speaker
Dynamic bass sound

Ports:
1 x HDMI-Out
1 x Composite Video-Out
1 x Stereo RCA-In
1 x AC-In
1 x FM
1 x USB
6 x Speaker (including subwoofer)

Condition: Barely used. Works as good as new

Freebie: Car windshield sunshade "For the lucky buyer"

Fixed Price: 55,000

Serious prospects can reach me via details below.
Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL LINE: 081-350-31951

SOLD!

SOLD!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:55pm On Dec 04, 2021
QSFemi:

1). Mediation
2) Conciliation
3) Arbitration
4) Litigation

Cheers.

QsFemi.

Most unfortunately.

https://www.nairaland.com/3148782/how-select-good-builder
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kapelvej: 2:59pm On Dec 04, 2021
michlins:
no sir. Casting of the base is part of your fence building. However he's supposed to bring anchorage which will firmly hold the gate in place

Thanks bro. I am grateful
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kapelvej: 3:00pm On Dec 04, 2021
n3xt:

Just as answered above.

You paid for gate fabrication/construction and not gate installation unless you both agreed his cost includes installation of the gate.

Installation of gates involves many other tradesmen which includes but not limited to carpenters, concreters, diggers, electrician etc.

Thank you so much for your time

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kapelvej: 3:00pm On Dec 04, 2021
folmus:

You have answered yourself from your post. You told him to construct. If installation is not part of your discussions at the beginning, you are responsible for mounting your gate and its parts. Yes, your welder can be there during the installation to be sure they put the parts together appropriately.

You are very right. I thought the was playing a fast one. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Imas007(m): 3:23pm On Dec 04, 2021
My Good People, Day 4 ....
Construction 2 flats (3 Bedrooms at the front and 1 Bedroom at the back on 50x100 fts

https://www.nairaland.com/6860261/construction-2-flats-gra-benin#108206276

Your feedback are welcome.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 3:34pm On Dec 04, 2021
Imas007:
My Good People, Day 4 ....
Construction 2 flats (3 Bedrooms at the front and 1 Bedroom at the back on 50x100 fts

https://www.nairaland.com/6860261/construction-2-flats-gra-benin#108206276

Your feedback are welcome.

Well done
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 3:47pm On Dec 04, 2021
I do this for a living. Kindly patronize me

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 4:03pm On Dec 04, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Lots of laundromats in Nigeria real estate scene.

If you don’t gerrit, forgerrit.

Lol. I think I get it now sir

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 4:04pm On Dec 04, 2021
@next @brabus?

What’s could have gone wrong? Did you under quote? Lack of supervision from your end? Same pattern from the past still…

Even the nonupet (ibadan project has been abandoned!!)

You taking more projects more than you can handle at the same time?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:36pm On Dec 04, 2021
Dennis3D:

Lol. I think I get it now sir

Excellent Sir.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:47pm On Dec 04, 2021
QSFemi:

March to May

In September 24th, I recommended the termination of Next Homes and Builders contract after the project has been overrun by 5 months and there wasn't any real action being shown towards the completion of the contract by the said contractor.

I was actually silent on this issue of termination because I knew there’s no credible nor valid reasons for the recommendation.

Here’s the true picture of things.
The project reach substantial completion stage in April 2021. You can verify this on the construction thread and check the image of the building as at the first week of May 2021.

I put it to you to show anything substantial different from the image of the building in May 2021 and now.

We spent the rest of the months working on things that were completely out of my scope of work and we do them when we were paid.

So if you paid for one of the dependables on a project in August, you don’t assume the contract has void a contract that was meant to finish in May.
It was clearly spelt in the contract what could lead to excusable delay on the project.
There were too many of them.

If you need evidence, I’ll provide them on request.

Here’s the part you’re missing sir.

I have on the contract the date for the substantial completion of the project and the date for the full completion of the project provided there are no change order request that can alter the delivery date or circumstances beyond the contractors control.

After the termination, the contractor was asked to prepare and submit a handover notes and present himself on site for assessment of work done and undone in order to have a financial reconciliation. The contractor failed not only in submitting a handover note but also in presenting himself on the 28th of September which was the date I eventually visited the site for the first time. It should be on record too that the contractor failed to even send a representative.

Unfortunately I do not have any official communication stating the reasons for the termination of the contract. I only read about it here.
And the request to meet the contractor was equally a nairaland affair and I respond to the client that I can’t make commitment on short notice.

Lastly you were meant to revert to me after the last reconcilaliation we did together but you never did.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 4:51pm On Dec 04, 2021
QSFemi:

We are made to understand from previous comments that while project was being executed, contractor did other jobs at the site that was not part of the contract.
Did you account for those in the reconciliation?
Secondly, when calculating the price of incomplete materials did you use original price as at March/April or current Market price?
Thirdly, how did you present your Report? Was the report based on the amount currently needed to complete the remainder or was it a subset of what was in the original bid amount?
Is the disparity between theses two reason for deadlock?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2624) (2625) (2626) (2627) (2628) (2629) (2630) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: twinskenny(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.