Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,426 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2628) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4413816 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2625) (2626) (2627) (2628) (2629) (2630) (2631) ... (3671) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:00pm On Dec 04, 2021
sonnie10:

We are made to understand from previous comments that while project was being executed, contractor did other jobs at the site that was not part of the contract.
Did you account for those in the reconciliation?
Secondly, when calculating the price of incomplete materials did you use original price as at March/April or current Market price?
Thirdly, how did you present your Report? Was the report based on the amount currently needed to complete the remainder or was it a subset of what was in the original bid amount?
Is the disparity between theses two reason for deadlock?

The QS valued the material met on site at the contract price

Blocks - 200
Cement - 3,000

The QS now presented a bill of 3,800 to me per bag of cement to rebuy the same cement he met on site that I provided at 3,000

Th same applied to the blocks. The report claimed my client bought blocks at 280 after selling the ones that I produced on site at 200 to only God knows person.

I smiled and smiled.

______

Lastly the report claimed an outrageous number of blocks were used to complete a portion of the project that were ongoing as at 25th September.

I presented the time stamped picture of the building as at 24th and 25th September to the QS and asked him to show me where the blocks were used on the building

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 5:10pm On Dec 04, 2021
n3xt:

Blocks - 200
Cement - 3,000

The QS now presented a bill of 3,800 to me per bag of cement to rebuy the same cement he met on site that I provided at 3,000

Th same applied to the blocks. The report claimed my client bought blocks at 280 after selling the ones that I produced on site at 200 to only God knows person.

I smiled and smiled.

______

Lastly the report claimed an outrageous number of blocks were used to complete a portion of the project that were ongoing as at 25th September.

I presented the time stamped picture of the building as at 24th and 25th September to the QS and asked him to show me where the blocks were used on the building

Bosun,
Would you rather do this here than get your own Qs to provide your own reconciliation quotes and have all your arguments in there...

This is whole thing does need to be here but in dm's with Oga somehow ...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:10pm On Dec 04, 2021
There was a valid claim that my client spent some extra money on to do some remedial work on the steel trusses installed.

When this was brought to my notice, here’s my position.

Unfortunately my client had a better plan. I got the rudest shock when my client said the QS said he should pass the bill to me.

Who am I to stop him from spending monies that the QS who picked the contractor recommended that he should spend.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 5:12pm On Dec 04, 2021
bolu1986:
@next @brabus?

What’s could have gone wrong? Did you under quote? Lack of supervision from your end? Same pattern from the past still…

Even the nonupet (ibadan project has been abandoned!!)

You taking more projects more than you can handle at the same time?

Rather unfair to insinuate....

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vanbonattel: 5:30pm On Dec 04, 2021
A confirmed thief, rogue and armed robber came to me in 2015 and told me he has repented from stealing. He told me he's a changed person and no longer takes what doesn't belong to him. My question to him was "Who did you sell your thiefry and jibiti to? " "Did they do a surgical b operation to remove your stealing talents"

The thing wey dey smell for he-goat body dey him blood, no amount of soap and water can wash it out.

Just passing sha.

13 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 5:41pm On Dec 04, 2021
n3xt:

Blocks - 200
Cement - 3,000

I smiled and smiled.

______

Let’s not fan the flame of rancor by keeping it low. The client does not appear be someone who would sell blocks.
Even an illiterate knows that there is time value for money. Much more in Nigeria where the official annual inflation rate from January 2021 to October 2021 is about 17.5%.
Do the maths yourself for both materials you have used as example and you would discover that the QS is not far from the current reality.

Now, because actual market price does necessarily follow official inflation rate, there is bound to be some differences, often times a high amount.
Restoring client to their original state is the standard and should be the goal and fair thing to do here. Client original state is that he was able to pay full for all aspects of the original contract amount as at the time of payment. Remember innoson vs GT bank even up till Supreme Court, that was the position. Why do think he is being awarded more?
A compromise is still possible. Client cannot get cement for #3000 as at today. If current price is #3800, but at 17.5% inflation rate it is should be about #3550. Do you think it’s a fair compromise?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:55pm On Dec 04, 2021
sonnie10:

A compromise is still possible. Client cannot get cement for #3000 as at today. If current price is #3800, but at 17.5% inflation rate it is should be about #3550. Do you think it’s a fair compromise?

Cement was never sold 3,000 at anytime this year but I kept my figures at 3,000 during the lifetime of the project.

Neither did any blockmaker sold blocks at 200 at any time in the year 2021 but I kept my part of the bargain so that question of underquoting to pick a contract doesn’t arise.

So the issue of inflation didn’t start in October.

3350 seems more like a WIN/WIN.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 6:16pm On Dec 04, 2021
rmx:

U get am . The hardship and instilled discipline of those years is still working for me wink

l know, l also feel sad to say this to you, that my LATE UNCLE was also a product of NMS, from their to NDA KADUNA, from their to different courses abroad in different countries and finally posted to Lagos

He was undergoing a course at Command and staff college (CSC jaji), he came to Lagos with other officers and his course mates but he entered the HERCULES 130 PLANE that crashed at Ejigbo and he died along with several other officers, That course after completing it would have made him a Naval Commander but God knows the best, Rip to Him and other officers in that ill-fated aircraft sad

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 6:17pm On Dec 04, 2021
n3xt:

Cement was never sold 3,000 at anytime this year but I kept my figures at 3,000 during the lifetime of the project.

Neither did any blockmaker sold blocks at 200 at any time in the year 2021 but I kept my part of the bargain so that question of underquoting to pick a contract doesn’t arise.

So the issue of inflation didn’t start in October.

3350 seems more like a WIN/WIN.

Thanks.
Mr Bosun, we know cement was never #3000 at any time during the year. But one thing is certain, you cannot eat the meat of the contract and leave the bone for the client.
I remember vividly having the discussion with you here around that period regarding how blocks could be made or obtained at the #200 price. The truth is that it is Economics of scale and not really a discount in the true sense of it. You were able to do that due to the scope of the project (client’s input) and your capacity to handle such (contractor’s input).
The incomplete portion of job is no longer up to such scale, thus the retail price of blocks.
Your #3350 price for cement should be considered fair. The reason is because only 6 months have passed.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 6:24pm On Dec 04, 2021
twinskenny:
We are still in ado Ekiti

Did a visit to this school the biggest I have seen in Nigeria so far… in terms of structures
Hian, you need to visit Oyedepos schools, Secondary, Primary and the Universities under WINNERS CHAPEL, you go see super structures grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:28pm On Dec 04, 2021
AngelicBeing:

l know, l also feel sad to say this to you, that my LATE UNCLE was also a product of NMS, from their to NDA KADUNA, from their to different courses abroad in different countries and finally posted to Lagos

He was undergoing a course at Command and staff college (CSC jaji), he came to Lagos with other officers and his course mates but he entered the HERCULES 130 PLANE that crashed at Ejigbo and he died along with several other officers, That course after completing it would have made him a Naval Commander but God knows the best, Rip to Him and other officers in that ill-fated aircraft sad

RIP to our Uncle. I am an Army Officer that never become one for some personal reason. I know the drill Sir. RIP again.

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 6:34pm On Dec 04, 2021
mufutau55:

RIP to our Uncle. I am an Army Officer that never become one for some personal reason. I know the drill Sir. RIP again.

Hajji M.
Thanks smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:02pm On Dec 04, 2021
AngelicBeing:
Hian, you need to visit Oyedepos schools, Secondary, Primary and the Universities under WINNERS CHAPEL, you go see super structures grin
true o … but this old man really try here
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by justified007: 7:45pm On Dec 04, 2021
somehow:

24th of November was when you reached out to me for a "resolution", a day before the first deadline. Then I told you everything must be sorted before month end (November).

I didn't hear anything from you, I tried calling you, your number kept saying "on another call for days"

I left you short messages asking for updates.

You only left "Good morning sir" on the 29th and nothing again till 2nd of December stating you have been "incommunicado" since, then said you will "revert ".

In 9 days, you said nothing about the refund, so what are you saying here?

All I know is that my refund must come within 7 days (day 2 counting).

This is a termination that happened since September 25th.

Enough said.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 7:53pm On Dec 04, 2021
dongc:

Rather unfair to insinuate....
not insinuating anything sir… just asking an innocent questions

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 8:21pm On Dec 04, 2021
AngelicBeing:

My condolence , sadly it comes with the territory , remember the incidence well , affected mostly captains and majors . Your uncle Was going to be the equivalent of a lieutenant colonel . May his soul Rest In Peace .

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 10:55pm On Dec 04, 2021
rmx:

My condolence , sadly it comes with the territory , remember the incidence well , affected mostly captains and majors . Your uncle Was going to be the equivalent of a lieutenant colonel . May his soul Rest In Peace .

Amen
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 10:56pm On Dec 04, 2021
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

Once again rest in peace

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 10:57pm On Dec 04, 2021
sonnie10:

Mr Bosun, we know cement was never #3000 at any time during the year. But one thing is certain, you cannot eat the meat of the contract and leave the bone for the client.
I remember vividly having the discussion with you here around that period regarding how blocks could be made or obtained at the #200 price. The truth is that it is Economics of scale and not really a discount in the true sense of it. You were able to do that due to the scope of the project (client’s input) and your capacity to handle such (contractor’s input).
The incomplete portion of job is no longer up to such scale, thus the retail price of blocks.
Your #3350 price for cement should be considered fair. The reason is because only 6 months have passed.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 12:56am On Dec 05, 2021
sgtponzihater1:
I visited in an estate in the UK that beats the flats in Ikoyi. It had lovely lush fields. Play grounds for kids, extensive green spaces and pastures and kerbs for pedestrians. I compared the beauty of this large estate with the famous banana Island, and banana Island seemed a joke. The rent was £550 a month for a 2 bedroom flat. The landlord put up the flat for sale at £100,000. Only to see poorly planed flats selling for as much as £250million because it's banana Island.

As elegant as these estates are abroad, the middle class can assess it. This is far from the case in Naija

The other criminal offence is the advent of service charge. Naija estates are now asking residents who have bought houses at already outrageous prices to pay service charge of up to 2 million for year. What's then the use of owning your own property.

Last paragraph is what I will never UNDERSTAND in Lagos island, I bought a property from you, paid in cash and I will still have to pay over 1M to you yearly for service charge?

Is this not the seller eating his cake and still having it?

Ikoyi and banana island for example, service charge is up to 3M and above

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 4:17am On Dec 05, 2021
Hmmmmmmmmmm

Like play, like play. . . . . .truly sad.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 7:46am On Dec 05, 2021
AngelicBeing:
Ni ma inajin Hausa, a Wusasa Zaria - KADUNA State aka hafai ni, na Je makaranta a Army staff school - NMS Zaria, Uncle na yaje J NMS ZARIA da NDA KADUNA shocked

I schooled in st Bath
Before you get to kufena
Barka da zuwa
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 7:58am On Dec 05, 2021
Happy new week and happy Sunday forumites

Make una go dress dey go church ooo
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 8:07am On Dec 05, 2021
Looking Natural wooden Spanish products
Happy Sunday have a blessed weekend

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nero2424: 8:45am On Dec 05, 2021
MMotimo:
Hmmmmmmmmmm

Like play, like play. . . . . .truly sad.

Your juju is powerful, where is the baba located?

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 9:26am On Dec 05, 2021
Greenarrow01:

I schooled in st Bath
Before you get to kufena
Barka da zuwa
Really shocked My immediate elder sister was also a product of St Bartholomew school wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrimeQuay: 9:27am On Dec 05, 2021
Thanks Oga Spyder. Kindly help with cost of the woody tan per sqm

spyder880:
Still more to choose from......
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:58am On Dec 05, 2021
shortgun:

It's always a good practice to have 2 or more skimmers for proper filtration, however if 1 is used, it should be positioned in the centre of the wall of the deep end of the pool and have minimum of 2 return nozzles directed to it.

Hello!

Pls do you have anyone you can recommend for this?

Thanks and please kindly treat as urgent.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:06am On Dec 05, 2021
Plastering of this 6bedroom duplex is still in progress
cleaning of site is paramount to us

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:31am On Dec 05, 2021
Born2conquer:

Last paragraph is what I will never UNDERSTAND in Lagos island, I bought a property from you, paid in cash and I will still have to pay over 1M to you yearly for service charge?

Is this not the seller eating his cake and still having it?

Ikoyi and banana island for example, service charge is up to 3M and above

There is an estate after Ajah own by a well know man in Lagos . The yearly service charge is 3m and presently a plot is now 200m.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 10:33am On Dec 05, 2021
rotecch77:
Plastering of this 6bedroom duplex is still in progress
cleaning of site is paramount to us

I do admire how clean your building sites are..

If I may ask, do you pay extra for this service or just the workers cleaning up after themselves as part of their regular pay?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:34am On Dec 05, 2021
vanbonattel:
A confirmed thief, rogue and armed robber came to me in 2015 and told me he has repented from stealing. He told me he's a changed person and no longer takes what doesn't belong to him. My question to him was "Who did you sell your thiefry and jibiti to? " "Did they do a surgical b operation to remove your stealing talents"

The thing wey dey smell for he-goat body dey him blood, no amount of soap and water can wash it out.

Just passing sha.

Lolzzz.. the thing go dey him blood.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2625) (2626) (2627) (2628) (2629) (2630) (2631) ... (3671) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gbadexy(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.