Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,304 members, 7,811,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:43 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2761) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4374680 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2758) (2759) (2760) (2761) (2762) (2763) (2764) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 7:21pm On Jan 31, 2022
twinskenny:
Happy Sunday everyone
I am more concerned that the building is tilting

I might be wrong tho, might be from the camera position.

In most cases, bungalows are built without structural design, but this right here needs one (A profound one).

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 7:27pm On Jan 31, 2022
I agree on the need of structural design for this structure especially with its Kilimanjaro roof skyrocketing towards the sky. Can this roof withstand wind impact?

Charisdesigns:

I am more concerned that building is tilting

I might be wrong tho, might be from the camera position.

In most cases, bungalows are built without structural design, but this right here need one (A profound one).

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 7:42pm On Jan 31, 2022
At the bolded, that is the standard practice even in Nigeria.

In Nigeria, building and construction professionals have scale of fees approved by the Federal Govt of Nigeria which is subject to the Estimated Cost of Construction of the project. It's widely used in Govt contracts, multinationals and few high end clients.

In other cases, professionals just flow with negotiations just to make the services affordable to everyday clients.

EgunMogaji2:
Regarding Architects and services.

So what I did was purchase an Architectural plan off of eBay. I was confident that I can read it well and have modifications done by a Nigerian Architect who again will ONLY supply a modified architectural plan.

This method is cheap and I assume the building liability. The design liability continues to rest on the Architect.

Architectural service could be all inclusive and up to turn key. Not cheap and is typically a percentage of the total build cost.

This is from a USA perspective.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 8:02pm On Jan 31, 2022
#latest
Master bedroom design for husband and wife, we are making our couple clients happy, why not join the train, we can make you happy
dm contact in signature below

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 8:03pm On Jan 31, 2022

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:16pm On Jan 31, 2022
QSFemi:
At the bolded, that is the standard practice even in Nigeria.

In Nigeria, building and construction professionals have scale of fees approved by the Federal Govt of Nigeria which is subject to the Estimated Cost of Construction of the project. It's widely used in Govt contracts, multinationals and few high end clients.

In other cases, professionals just flow with negotiations just to make the services affordable to everyday clients.

Excellent.

You see on my build, lots of issues. Electrical outlets in the wrong locations, windows in wrong places not allowing proper furniture placement, etc

No American architect if in charge as a turnkey would allow that to happen,

I own all those missteps on my build because I chose to be the General Contractor on my build and I trusted locals who were incapable.

I won’t blame my architect because he delivered what I paid him for, working drawings.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 8:23pm On Jan 31, 2022

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 8:32pm On Jan 31, 2022
Fair enough sir.

EgunMogaji2:

Excellent.

You see on my build, lots of issues. Electrical outlets in the wrong locations, windows in wrong places not allowing proper furniture placement, etc

I own all those missteps on my build because I chose to be the General Contractor on my build and I trusted locals who were incapable.

I won’t blame my architect because he delivered what I paid him for, working drawings.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 8:44pm On Jan 31, 2022
QSFemi:
I agree on the need of structural design for this structure especially with its Kilimanjaro roof skyrocketing towards the sky. Can this roof withstand wind impact?

Yes.
Provided an engineer is involved and some necessary factor of safety are implemented in design.

More so, wind load on a building is highly affected by its surrounding, which may be the shape of nearby buildings, height of buildings or distance of surrounding buildings from the principal building
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 8:47pm On Jan 31, 2022
BrickDevo:
#latest
Master bedroom design for husband and wife, we are making our couple clients happy, why not join the train, we can make you happy
dm contact in signature below

This things takes time to come out clean and crisp like this.

Weldone sir.
Mind giving me one of the apple? smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 8:57pm On Jan 31, 2022
Charisdesigns:

This things takes time to come out clean and crisp like this.

Weldone sir.
Mind giving me one of the apple? smiley
Thanks
Dm me, i might have some free apples for giveaway
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 9:10pm On Jan 31, 2022
dangoteinlaw:
I wonder oh. Why will I have money in this short life and not show it off however way I please especially if I didn't steal it. I believe ppl should be allowed to make a statement with whatever properties they own. Eg liking a red shirt, using a particular brand of car and having like 4 of it like my engineer Friend who owns 5 highlanders. The same year just different colors. I have 4 mtn sim cards and some ask me why not use Airtel or 9mobile , is it your money?
cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:39pm On Jan 31, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Excellent.

Is there no MEP Design drawing for your project . It's good to have furnitures layout during electrical installation. I always requested for this in order to determine the location of sockets, TV position, AC position.

It is nice to have furnitures layout during installation. And if there is none, based on tye experience we can determine that on site .

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:56pm On Jan 31, 2022
topsy23:

Is there no MEP Design drawing for your project . It's good to have furnitures layout during electrical installation. I always requested for this in order to determine the location of sockets, TV position, AC position.

It is nice to have furnitures layout during installation. And if there is none, based on tye experience we can determine that on site .

There was an MEP but the General Contractor, me, dropped the ball. I own it because I assumed that my artisans and I were on the same page. They weren’t. Assumption is an unforgiving bitch.

It’s my fault, not the architects who provided me with what I paid for = a working drawing, no more no less.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 10:01pm On Jan 31, 2022
https://www.nairaland.com/6564561/pop-design-tv-wall-installation

We are still available
Presently be putting it together @ ipaja

Pop designs + installations

Talk to us

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by IDnoble80: 10:04pm On Jan 31, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

There was an MEP but the General Contractor, me, dropped the ball. I own it because I assumed that my artisans and I were on the same page. They weren’t. Assumption is an unforgiving bitch.

It’s my fault, not the architects who provided me with what I paid for = a working drawing, no more no less.

Saw a job one of the top electrician here did for a client... Damn you will be wow sir . Even though the owner of the project was not on ground at all . Sometimes it's better to go for top guys cause of end result....

How many can you even monitor.. it's a top job.

And now you can't even correct anything again....

Kudos to twinskenny n topsy23

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:09pm On Jan 31, 2022
IDnoble80:

Saw a job one of the top electrician here did for a client... Damn you will be wow sir . Even though the owner of the project was not on ground at all . Sometimes it's better to go for top guys cause of end result....

Presently correcting an Installation at shimawa . Imagine having only one socket per room and sitting rooms... Placing switches and socket in a wrong places.. it's well
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 10:09pm On Jan 31, 2022

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:14pm On Jan 31, 2022
twinskenny:

Presently correcting an Installation at shimawa . Imagine having only one socket per room and sitting rooms... Placing switches and socket in a wrong places.. it's well

So many like that. Don't know how an electrician will do a standard electrical installation with just one socket in a room . Very bad and poor installation. In my own personal kitchen I have 8 sockets and one cooker

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 10:28pm On Jan 31, 2022
DFAMEGUY11S:
https://www.nairaland.com/5349601/pick-quality-wall-floor-tiles#81082489

Can this be used for pool @ topsy

Will forward you some that was selected for a previous pool . Not seen what u intend to use , make I show architect
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:05am On Feb 01, 2022
IDnoble80:

I’m good with my project and I’ll always follow the same path.

Many won’t even notice the issues I’m talking about but it’s glaring to me based on my non Nigerian expectations.

Not knocking anyone specifically but I’ve seen shoddy shitshows reported to me by members on here that were performed by so called pros.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:16am On Feb 01, 2022
topsy23:

So many like that. Don't know how an electrician will do a standard electrical installation with just one socket in a room . Very bad and poor installation. In my own personal kitchen I have 8 sockets and one cooker

That socket thing is my pet peeve. I hate extension cords with a passion.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 2:55am On Feb 01, 2022
Valentine’s Day is in 2 weeks, do not say you forgot wink Let’s just say from Friday February 11th till Monday February 14th, so there’s plenty of time in that weekend to celebrate. You can make it a 4 day affair or 1 day affair. If you are out of town, plenty of time to make it home to your partner.

This year, make it extra special, do something different, put some thought to it wey be say your partner sef go know say you tink am deep. Use your imagination or use Google. The good thing is if, like me, you typically do nothing for the celebration, the bar has been set low already so any little effort is bound to dazzle. Biko, shake bodi, plan sumtin! Small reminder sha - no go use tiling moni or Master’s degree moni buy human hair or iPhone pro max abi na max pro for her o! No do pass yasef! You are celebrating love, not buying it. The gift of time, concentrating on her, celebrating her, trumps all.

Naija women too like moni
They are not romantic
They are always demanding
We don hear! Make una no vex! We will do better. Appreciate your woman.

Call out to females:

Do not make 2022 another cheapskate boxers year. You’re already a “whole meal.” Wear something tantalizing, find a babysitter and deck that “whole meal” to the high heavens. Make it a period of special pampering. I take God beg you, no request anything o! It’s not the time to talk about the increase in food prices , generator needs petrol, your brother needs school fees, car needs servicing, etc. Just allow somebody’s son to feel loved and special. Invest in lingerie if necessary, let 2022 be a year to remember. Go big or go home!

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 3:13am On Feb 01, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Thank you Ma. It’s a labor of love and it helps because I live right next door.

I use Baba Latis so I’m sure of screw ups as soon as I leave the site for a second.

It’s sad that I’m already looking at corrections on a brand new build but I’m ahead in terms of cost.

There’s an entire niche in the Naija construction industry for “finishing.” The builder produces the carcass and moves on, these finishing companies take over from there. They source for tiles, carpentry, electricals, bathroom wares, everything to turn key. Some do “finishing to furnishing,” supplying furnishings and appliances after finishing. They hire young, teachable graduates and train them to understand, visualize, appreciate, what clean finishing means and have those young people micro-manage the Baba Latis. On top of that, someone still keeps an eye on the project. In the end, their service doesn’t come cheap but it’s the price of not being able to supervise yourself.

I guess what I’m saying is that really clean finishing takes your sweat/saliva (as you already know) and there are people willing to pay a premium for the kind of results you have been able to achieve.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 3:18am On Feb 01, 2022
Born2conquer:

Actually, your question would have been a way for her to promote herself.

She probably took the question as an attack.

"How would you convince the middle class that hiring interior decorator is not a luxury"

Her response could have convinced other kobo kobo builders to start "factoring" in interior decors to their budget.

Thank you, Sir for restoring my confidence in my spoken English. I bin wan start posting in Yoruba and/or pidgin grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 5:08am On Feb 01, 2022
dangoteinlaw:
I wonder oh. Why will I have money in this short life and not show it off however way I please especially if I didn't steal it. I believe ppl should be allowed to make a statement with whatever properties they own. Eg liking a red shirt, using a particular brand of car and having like 4 of it like my engineer Friend who owns 5 highlanders. The same year just different colors. I have 4 mtn sim cards and some ask me why not use Airtel or 9mobile , is it your money?
"4 highlanders, same year but different colours"

Oops, decisions like this do raise unnecessary attention though (especially in Nigeria)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 5:10am On Feb 01, 2022
sonnie10:

Try posting picture of your house here and see reactions.
That is the time some would remember that is a waste to build in certain locations
There are those that would suddenly remember how people in abroad scammed them to provide service.
Another set would say its poverty that is making you build a house of your taste
Some will advice you to make a better investment of the money, which they have no idea how it came about
How about those that would outrightly conclude that an old man does not deserve to leave in a house of his choice
Tell me about the ones that assume you toke loan or credit to build house

And people expect to see witches and wizards only flying
The summary is do what you're comfortable with, what you love and care less about what others feel.

No matter the decision you take (not limited to property), people will definitely criticize, why factor same critics in your decision making thoughts?

Happy new month Elders

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 5:18am On Feb 01, 2022
dangoteinlaw:
I think ppl should quit trying to decide for others pls. You build in lekki they say you should have bought a hectare at agbarra and build 20 of the mansion. You buy gwargon they will ask why you didn't buy 50 corolla with the money. As I grow older I ve come to realize that no one else can ever give you happiness not even your wife but only you. And how does one get the happiness if not by doing certain things the way you like it and want it.
To me a high roofing looks cute and gives a building more value. It may look less beautiful but at least whoever sees it will at least respect the fact that you made a higher cash transfer to get it that high as compared to a building with only 2m roof height.
But, there are some mistakes we make that we can't see "yet" but others can see, if such others point out such mistakes to us, can it be seen as a crime?

E.G if the person buying an investment property (a plot) of land in lekki is not aware that such money will give him an acre of higher value property in yaba, where he can even build more rental properties and earn decent rents yearly, can pointing such out be bad?

What if the person buying a Gwagon can really acquire 50 toyota corolla and start an e -hailing company that will give him returns that can buy the Gwagon yearly, if someone pointed him towards that idea, is it bad?

Even though we get to make our final choice, we should always try to hear people opinions and filter out thr grains from the waste.

The HIGH RISE building man Might have a logical reason for it and the build could have also been out of ignorance which he might come to realize how wasteful the roof is later.

Two sides to a coin, before you pick a side, make findings on both sides and logically pick the side you're comfortable with.

Good Morning and Happy new month

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobkezel(m): 5:46am On Feb 01, 2022
Born2conquer:

But, there are some mistakes we make that we can't see "yet" but others can see, if such others point out such mistakes to us, can it be seen as a crime?

E.G if the person buying an investment property (a plot) of land in lekki is not aware that such money will give him an acre of higher value property in yaba, where he can even build more rental properties and earn decent rents yearly, can pointing such out be bad?

What if the person buying a Gwagon can really acquire 50 toyota corolla and start an e -hailing company that will give him returns that can buy the Gwagon yearly, if someone pointed him towards that idea, is it bad?

Even though we get to make our final choice, we should always try to hear people opinions and filter out thr grains from the waste.

The HIGH RISE building man Might have a logical reason for it and the build could have also been out of ignorance which he might come to realize how wasteful the roof is later.

Two sides to a coin, before you pick a side, make findings on both sides and logically pick the side you're comfortable with.

Good Morning and Happy new month
@bolded what if the person leaves the 50 corolla and buys 200 keke maruwa and starts opay or otrike business?
I guess you use android phone, why not sell it and buy 20 Nokia torch and phone accessories and start a phone shop?
I hope what I'm pointing out is taken in good faith...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dubemcapital1(m): 6:24am On Feb 01, 2022
bobkezel:

@bolded what if the person leaves the 50 corolla and buys 200 keke maruwa and starts opay or otrike business?
I guess you use android phone, why not sell it and buy 20 Nokia torch and phone accessories and start a phone shop?
I hope what I'm pointing out is taken in good faith...

grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2758) (2759) (2760) (2761) (2762) (2763) (2764) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ATPx, toyeoye(m), Aforxzy(f) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.