Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,146 members, 7,829,097 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2765) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4428280 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2762) (2763) (2764) (2765) (2766) (2767) (2768) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 11:02pm On Feb 03, 2022
Dear architects on here, please a request.

I have a narrow plot of 28ft by 92ft and I am wondering if a befitting house can be built on such a plot and I don't feel clustered or chocked within the space.
Is it possible to achieve this with a reasonable set back on one side for external passage?
Or I just look for a more square plot to build on?
Its for a family of 6 occupants.
Looking forward to your thoughts.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:16pm On Feb 03, 2022
KolaShangOne:

External
Nice. I love the attached car garage. It offers so much flexibility of use including tools storage

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 4:09am On Feb 04, 2022

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Perfecttouchade: 6:41am On Feb 04, 2022

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 7:55am On Feb 04, 2022
ceelog:

I have a narrow plot of 28ft by 92ft and I am wondering if a befitting house can be built on such a plot and I don't feel clustered or chocked within the space.
Is it possible to achieve this with a reasonable set back on one side for external passage?

28ft is 8.5m
92 is 28m
The breadth is the issue here.
If you must build at all, then consider 2 storey building (a building of two floors)
Comfortability: however the design might be, you need setbacks for each side and it shouldn't be less than 1m.
Well, it's possible to have a nice abode on the piece of land.
You can consult us at OAKGroup for something appreciative.
+2348108408732

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:03am On Feb 04, 2022
ceelog:

I'm not an architect.

It's not only possible but I personally think the constraints bring about the best in architecture. A good architect will create something wonderful for you.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 8:47am On Feb 04, 2022
Good morning all the chiefs

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 8:59am On Feb 04, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

I’m good with my project and I’ll always follow the same path.

Many won’t even notice the issues I’m talking about but it’s glaring to me based on my non Nigerian expectations.

Not knocking anyone specifically but I’ve seen shoddy shitshows reported to me by members on here that were performed by so called pros.
/
The so-called pros price their market way out of reach that you wonder if there is no standard pricing algorithm for their works. I have seen Topsy's handiwork and use it as a standard because of his attention to details and neatness of his work. But can you say that about many others? It is sad paying someone to come and do shoddy jobs at a site. Sometimes if you DIY the project, the outcome may be better than what's obtainable from the so-called pros.
Nigeria is where you pay someone to do a job, then you will make out your own time to supervise them to ensure that they do it right.
/

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by henrymor: 9:59am On Feb 04, 2022
Thank you for your advice.

It is a bungalow. No we didn't do German flooring. We did chain lintel. Most of the cracks are coming from down and going up although some are start at the middle. I also noticed that some of the cracks are from the windows we blocked.

diordaves:

Though the photos are not enough but if you have similar cracks in other parts of the house, this might be structural. Is that a window in the photo? if yes, I suspect your lintel has failed. Did you do "chain lintel"? Lintels are only very effective at a determined length. If too short, the lintel will fail with time leading to cracks.

Another suspect is your foundation in relation to the type of soil. It could be differential settlement/subsidence.

Did you do german floor? or is it a storey building and the cracks are upstairs? If yes, I will go back to the guess of possibly failed lintel. If it is a bungalow or even a storey building, are the cracks going right down to the ground? If yes, possibly foundation settlement.

Then it could be just cosmetic. The cracks could just be historical during the settlement of the building. It may not crack further. Note, all buildings will settle but not dangerously unequally.

Solution: remove the plaster work down to the blocks. If the blocks are not cracked, it is cosmetic. If the blocks are significantly cracked as well, you have a problem on your hand that needs solving urgently. Seek the professional advice of a Structural engineer. It is imperative to seek the services of a Structural Engineer if it is a storey building. But for a bungalow........................ well, if you are not an experience Baba/Madam Landlord, get a Structural Engineer.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by henrymor: 10:02am On Feb 04, 2022
Yes are are works involved hitting and breaking if some areas in the house. Plus, some cracks comes from the blocked windows and some come from the ground up.

Aforxzy:
Is there any work that involves hitting, breaking or vibration on your build? The crack could be as a result of these or more...

Even though the picture is not extensive enough, it doesn't look like a structural issue..
Let your mason break open the affected areas and redress them.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dangoteinlaw: 10:03am On Feb 04, 2022
And if I may, why didn't you do a German flooring?

henrymor:
Thank you for your advice.

It is a bungalow. No we didn't do German flooring. We did chain lintel. Most of the cracks are coming from down and going up although some are start at the middle. I also noticed that some of the cracks are from the windows we blocked.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 11:46am On Feb 04, 2022
InvertedHammer:

/
The so-called pros price their market way out of reach that you wonder if there is no standard pricing algorithm for their works. I have seen Topsy's handiwork and use it as a standard because of his attention to details and neatness of his work. But can you say that about many others? It is sad paying someone to come and do shoddy jobs at a site. Sometimes if you DIY the project, the outcome may be better than what's obtainable from the so-called pros.

Nigeria is where you pay someone to do a job, then you will make out your own time to supervise them to ensure that they do it right.
/

Good pros that know what to do , don’t come cheap , not saying they should be expensive also . The most painful thing will be paying top money and getting a crappy work done . We all love deals and saving money but there is a limit and balance

I personally try to get pros to do all my work after all due diligence, because of the nature of my builds . I go for pros that are reasonable and are on there way up, that have requisite experience not old and established . Most of the guys I use ,including Topsy falls into that category . Been lucky with the guys/pros I use so far . They have given advice way beyond the scope they are handling that has saved me money in other areas .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 12:02pm On Feb 04, 2022
A 500sqm land for sale in an Estate around Dangote Refinery /Free trade zone/Road. (Ibeju-Lekki)

Comes with Global C of O.
Survey etc

Complete package paid already (Survey, deed, developmental fee, land cost).

Asking for 12m total package (Slightly negotiable)

For more details, kindly quote me or DM me for my private number.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by debeey87(m): 12:06pm On Feb 04, 2022
ArcToyin:

I have one that stays in Ota.

I'll reach out to you soon
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TCF1980(m): 12:14pm On Feb 04, 2022
Engineers in the house, what will a raft foundation of 3 boards cost for this house. A 2 bedroom with a bedroom Pent floor. Total dimension is approx 79.1m.

Many thanks for your good work.

uncleteeh:

28ft is 8.5m
92 is 28m
The breadth is the issue here.
If you must build at all, then consider 2 storey building (a building of two floors)
Comfortability: however the design might be, you need setbacks for each side and it shouldn't be less than 1m.
Well, it's possible to have a nice abode on the piece of land.
You can consult us at OAKGroup for something appreciative.
+2348108408732

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TCF1980(m): 12:15pm On Feb 04, 2022
ceelog:

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 1:08pm On Feb 04, 2022
rmx:

Good pros that know what to do , don’t come cheap , not saying they should be expensive also . The most painful thing will be paying top money and getting a crappy work done . We all love deals and saving money but there is a limit and balance

I personally try to get pros to do all my work after all due diligence, because of the nature of my builds . I go for pros that are reasonable and are on there way up, that have requisite experience not old and established . Most of the guys I use ,including Topsy falls into that category . Been lucky with the guys/pros I use so far . They have given advice way beyond the scope they are handling that has saved me money in other areas .
/
You are just lucky. Do you know how many "pros" one has to go through to get to the real pros? Everyone is a pro until it comes down to doing the real work. Most times you are just paying for manpower because some of them lack basic common sense to get things done right. And I mean something as simple as keeping a line straight.
/

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:29pm On Feb 04, 2022
michlins:
This particular gate design keeps giving.
Currently recreating it

What is the rough estimate for this gate with two leaves not rolling type. Just rough estimate with those good iron. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 2:44pm On Feb 04, 2022
mufutau55:

What is the rough estimate for this gate with two leaves not rolling type. Just rough estimate with those good iron. Thanks.

Hajji M.

with 2mm pan ₦500,000

With 2.5mm pan ₦700,000. This gate does not require the use of wrought iron cause it's mostly done for commercial homes

Good day sir and enjoy your day
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:49pm On Feb 04, 2022
michlins:
with 2mm pan ₦500,000
With 2.5mm pan ₦700,000. This gate does not require the use of wrought iron cause it's mostly done for commercial homes
Good day sir and enjoy your day

What is the difference in quality/cost if this is for kobo-kobo residential house, not commercial house?

Hajji M.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:57pm On Feb 04, 2022
somehow:
I have a 500sqm land for sale in an Estate around Dangote Refinery /Free trade zone/Road. (Ibeju-Lekki)

Comes with Global C of O.
Survey etc

Paid everything so far.

Asking for 12m total package (Slightly negotiable)

For more details, kindly quote me or DM me for my private number.

Thanks

A lucky buyer is in for a refreshing treat.

Unfortunately I don’t swim in the Lagos pool being a local man.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 3:20pm On Feb 04, 2022
mufutau55:

What is the difference in quality/cost if this is for kobo-kobo residential house, not commercial house?

Hajji M.
the difference is basically on the quality of materials to be used. 2.5mm pan is stronger and better but in my opinion, it's not needed. 2mm will do just a fine job.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by beejay1(m): 3:38pm On Feb 04, 2022
#
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Laudbtc: 4:17pm On Feb 04, 2022
Great builders in the houses, please what is the name of the chemical used for cleaning paint and dirts from the tiles.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:35pm On Feb 04, 2022
Laudbtc:
Great builders in the houses, please what is the name of the chemical used for cleaning paint and dirts from the tiles.
I think acid...

You have to be careful though
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 4:38pm On Feb 04, 2022
Laudbtc:
thinner

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 4:48pm On Feb 04, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

A lucky buyer is in for a refreshing treat.

Unfortunately I don’t swim in the Lagos pool being a local man.
Please, how much did you buy your tile punching tool? Can I get a picture of it?
Good evening Oga.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Laudbtc: 5:02pm On Feb 04, 2022
michlins:
thinner
Thank you very much
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 5:04pm On Feb 04, 2022
Laudbtc:

Thinner
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Droyal(f): 5:04pm On Feb 04, 2022
Good afternoon every one, learnt a lot from this thread up to this stage, kudos to every one.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2762) (2763) (2764) (2765) (2766) (2767) (2768) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: walexyll(m), Lakuje4power(m), Nelsolala and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.