Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,036 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2768) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4375446 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2765) (2766) (2767) (2768) (2769) (2770) (2771) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:39pm On Feb 05, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Whistling…..

Baba this whistling is it from the movie Django or from those Clint Eastwood movies or Charles Bronson........

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:41pm On Feb 05, 2022
bixton:

Baba this whistling is it from the movie Django or from those Clint Eastwood movies or Charles Bronson........

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly cheesy

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 5:54pm On Feb 05, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Fads have a habit of going out of style. If left to me I’ll have done simple flat pop with just hidden window curtains hole.

I'm doing something rather simple when it comes to POP ceiling, nọ time for club-style/saloon-style ceiling.

As for the TV stand.. Going the wood route.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2022
I wanted something simple when it comes to the building design but I'm currently scratching my head due to the size and number of windows present.

But according to the architect, the gains are to come later on in energy savings + clean natural air/ilumination.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 6:02pm On Feb 05, 2022
The number of doors too. embarassed
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:25pm On Feb 05, 2022
somehow:
I wanted something simple when it comes to the building design but I'm currently scratching my head due to the size and number of windows present.

But according to the architect, the gains are to come later on in energy savings + clean natural air/ilumination.

I had the opportunity to sit inside a colonial era courthouse at Iyaganku couple of weeks ago.

Even in mid afternoon with no AC or fan I marveled at the breeze flowing through and keeping the temperature very moderate.

Upon closer examination I noticed lots of windows, oversized windows, windows shaded from the direct heat of the sun. I saluted those colonial era architects.

I wanted to take pictures but I remembered that American embassy won’t necessarily assist law flounders of sovereign nations cheesy

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 6:48pm On Feb 05, 2022
BrickDevo:

MMotimo ma you see what am saying, here is an example of why the middle class will think that interior design is not a big deal.
rotecch77 no pun intented

Last time I was here, I responded to your mention but the spambot hid my post and banned me. Hopefully not this time
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:52pm On Feb 05, 2022
Make I do small advert jaree.
Watch out for the construction of this contemporary building from Ab initio.

A thread for the project is loading
5bedrooms duplex
Builder/ Contractor: Rotech( Arbo contractor Ltd)
Client; Nairalander
Duration; 4month (1st phase ,carcass only)
Cost :……stayed tuned to it

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by praise010(m): 6:58pm On Feb 05, 2022
Greetings house... Pls any idea of quantity of cement to plaster a house of 4 No of 2 bedroom flat and 4 bedroom Duplex.

Again, must I do screeding after plastering?

Any recommendation for plastering?

Property is around Ojo, Lagos
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:19pm On Feb 05, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

I had the opportunity to sit inside a colonial era courthouse at Iyaganku couple of weeks ago.

Even in mid afternoon with no AC or fan I marveled at the breeze flowing through and keeping the temperature very moderate.

Upon closer examination I noticed lots of windows, oversized windows, windows shaded from the direct heat of the sun. I saluted those colonial era architects.

I wanted to take pictures but I remembered that American embassy won’t necessarily assist law flounders of sovereign nations cheesy

This is what I believe is the end goal for my oversized windows.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 7:48pm On Feb 05, 2022
Focusmind:

But the POP TV is the raining thing now with different disco lights colours battling to outshine each other in the pop TV stand. I don't know why I am always different from the norm when it comes to taste.

For my wife, this is the new decoration in every home now but I am still sticking with my wooden design TV console.

U are not alone! All those green and blue and red lights are really a turn off.
The interior finishing guys are bringing studio and club designs into our homes. I wonder how people sleep after exposure to all the color riots.
I vote wood.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 8:28pm On Feb 05, 2022
coldcandy:

U are not alone! All those green and blue and red lights are really a turn off.
The interior finishing guys are bringing studio and club designs into our homes. I wonder how people sleep after exposure to all the color riots.
I vote wood.

Some of Nigerian interior decorators knows nothing about decoration. For some, their own understanding of interior decoration is putting lights of different colours, stuffing and cluttering everywhere with heavy duty furniture and curtains.

Mere looking at Houzz website could give one an idea of a modest and minimalist decor for any given space. That's my own idea of decoration. More of space; less of material objects.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 9:15pm On Feb 05, 2022
praise010:
Greetings house... Pls any idea of quantity of cement to plaster a house of 4 No of 2 bedroom flat and 4 bedroom Duplex.

Again, must I do screeding after plastering?

Any recommendation for plastering?

Property is around Ojo, Lagos

@Rotecch 77
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 9:52pm On Feb 05, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

I wanted to take pictures but I remembered that American embassy won’t necessarily assist law flounders of sovereign nations
cheesy
Life is simple when you keep rule anywhere you find yourself @ bold, that is what many of our youth find difficult to do when they find themselves outside the shore of Nigeria. They end up destroying their future.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ArcToyin(m): 10:24pm On Feb 05, 2022
ceelog:
I am open to suggestions

I would want a maximum use of the space without the feeling of being chocked.

A 4bed duplex with an extra building at the back for tenant/visitors is what I prefer.

The main building should have the basics of a well built building: sizeable kitchen, living area, rooms with self contain (or 2 rooms shared a toilet and bath), a distinct master bedroom etc.

A parking space outside. A side walking passage. A small but separate backyard from the other building.

Drop your mail or any contact. let me send a sketch to you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 10:29pm On Feb 05, 2022
Sent you a WhatsApp note
ArcToyin:

Drop your mail or any contact. let me send a sketch to you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dirkcoyt: 10:51pm On Feb 05, 2022
Aforxzy:
Is there any work that involves hitting, breaking or vibration on your build? The crack could be as a result of these or more...

Even though the picture is not extensive enough, it doesn't look like a structural issue..
Let your mason break open the affected areas and redress them.

I always look forward to your input when it comes to anything structural related cause I vetted every post you’ve made relating to construction on Nairaland

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:06pm On Feb 05, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Photos of colonial classical architecture with oversized Windows and Doors with oversized headroom from across the Commonwealth. Oh yes! I'm with you on this. I love it. One day I will achieve it. God willing.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:35pm On Feb 05, 2022
diordaves:

Photos of colonial classical architecture with oversized Windows and Doors with oversized headroom from across the Commonwealth. Oh yes! I'm with you on this. I love it. One day I will achieve it. God willing.

Amen.

I really live when homeowners get involved in their projects.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:37pm On Feb 05, 2022
I need referrals to a place where I can shop for modern mid century furniture.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 6:26am On Feb 06, 2022
somehow:

Honestly, I don't believe in using many windows as a form of energy savings in Nigeria with our dirty environment and poor air quality. For me, the windows in the house may be small in number but big in sizes, just for beauty and aesthetics.

For quantifiable energy savings, I use solar as my energy source now. I only switch to the mains on cloudy weather. But since December last year and now, with the intense sunlight and harmattan, my solar has been my source of power.

So, my prepaid meter has remained un-recharged for the past three months with good savings in energy cost. Ensure you have energy efficient deep freezer and ACs. The window AC may be out of fashion but a new 1hp window AC runs well with solar, lesser power demanding than split unit. My reason for having 1hp window AC for the rooms.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:19am On Feb 06, 2022
Focusmind:

Honestly, I don't believe in using many windows as a form of energy savings in Nigeria with our dirty environment and poor air quality. For me, the windows in the house may be small in number but big in sizes, just for beauty and aesthetics.

For quantifiable energy savings, I use solar as my energy source now. I only switch to the mains on cloudy weather. But since December last year and now, with the intense sunlight and harmattan, my solar has been my source of power.

So, my prepaid meter has remained un-recharged for the past three months with good savings in energy cost. Ensure you have energy efficient deep freezer and ACs. The window AC may be out of fashion but a new 1hp window AC runs well with solar, lesser power demanding than split unit. My reason for having 1hp window AC for the rooms.
how big is your home and what's the cost of setting up the solar system

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:23am On Feb 06, 2022
Focusmind:

For a start, a free energy saver is 100% better than inverter or solar though. (Both still cost money to get something worthwhile).

But I have made provisions for both incase... So nothing spoil.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jazzlite: 7:24am On Feb 06, 2022
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 7:41am On Feb 06, 2022
KolaShangOne:

You are right. This is not an affront on Architects please.

I've observed that Some architects during design stage do not visualizer the actual living in conditions when designing a house . Maybe it's because we don't pay them well enough.

I know they consider lighting but I've had to shift windows to create space for TV console placement. I've had to introduce floor light because of a floating bed, had to introduce another window because I wanted the Master bedroom to view the gate directly, introduce a recessed "sunken" living room floor because the owner loves height etc etc..

I believe when we involve architects fully in the design and construction process , results will come out better.

Methinks the bottom lines here are,

Lack of attention to detail.
Lazy?
Always in a hurry hurry to move to the next job.
People not taking pride in their work.
COPY CATS!!!

From my experience, that's what I have noticed. I have found one architect only here on nairaland to ticked quite a few boxes.

The one I detest the most is COPYCAT architect with silly designs and rubbish 3D designs.. 3D designs that ridicules architecture.

I am not an architect but I think it is an art. Should be meticulously delivered capturing what the owner have in mind, considering purpose of thr building, livability and affordability etc.. while highlighting the craft, the art, the beauty of the profession.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexProjects(m): 7:57am On Feb 06, 2022
Happy Sunday
#Mechanical Drawings
#Electrical Drawings
#Consulting
#Contracting

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 7:57am On Feb 06, 2022
somehow:

For a start, a free energy saver is 100% better than inverter or solar though. (Both still cost money to get something worthwhile).

But I have made provisions for both incase... So nothing spoil.

Pls what is free energy saver?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 8:05am On Feb 06, 2022
coldcandy:

Pls what is free energy saver?

Well placed large windows/doors + an atrium to let in more natural light/air

These to me are free energy savers.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:44am On Feb 06, 2022
somehow:

Well placed large windows/doors + an atrium to let in more natural light/air

These to me are free energy savers.

In my main building, sometimes to read a paper in my living room, I have to shut some windows due to cross wind. In my BQ, overwhelmed by the main house there's little light. In fact I have to turn on my hallway light in broad daylight.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2765) (2766) (2767) (2768) (2769) (2770) (2771) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: tripzalee(m), psychologist(m), olaleye2real(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.