Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,230 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2792) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4395096 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2789) (2790) (2791) (2792) (2793) (2794) (2795) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 10:37am On Feb 20, 2022
earthrealm:

Itsrm

Read the fine print, the 10yrs waranty is only on the dc motor grin grin.

My Lg washing machine i bought in 2012 has 10yrs waranty which expires this yr. But the fine print of the waranty says its only on the dc drive motor.

See the physics behind it..

The ac gets converted to dc before it gets to the motor to power it. So if there is any problem with rhe ac supply...it will damage the converter b4 it gets to the dc motor grin grin..so they are secure knowing that no harm can befall the dc motor.

My samsung microwave oven has same 10yrs waranty on motor only

You are completely right.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dapotemi: 10:40am On Feb 20, 2022
sonnie10:

Bros, no games in this arena. As they say it, that is how it is.
Let me give you one example. Did you know that some brake pads at Autozone store have lifetime warranty? At least this one I have used.
You make a normal one time purchase (no extra charges) and then, each time the brake pads get worn out, you return them for a free replacement. Completely no charge, and no questions asked.
Don’t ask me how the manufacturer make their profit, because I don’t know.
When will Nigeria reach that level, in terms of quality assurance?

It's here ALREADY, I think @radautowork gives a lifetime warranty on her brake pad purchases..She's in lekki and on nairaland too..Although she no Dey comment often as before, she say our wahala too much...Shes one of those that relocated from the abrodians..lol

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 10:51am On Feb 20, 2022
dapotemi:

It's here ALREADY, I think @radautowork gives a lifetime warranty on her brake pad purchases..She's in lekki and on nairaland too..Although she no Dey comment often as before, she say our wahala too much...Shes one of those that relocated from the abrodians..lol
There might be some difference and twist. Will she give you the brake pad to take to any mechanic of your choice? Or to do a DIY? Or do they ask you to pay for replacement labor which in actual sense could cover cost of pads.

The one I am talking about is, you just go there with the old pads, give it to them and collect new pads and go home. No other transactions.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 10:56am On Feb 20, 2022
earthrealm:

Itsrm

My Lg washing machine i bought in 2012 has 10yrs waranty which expires this yr. But the fine print of the waranty says its only on the dc drive motor.

The ac gets converted to dc before it gets to the motor to power it. So if there is any problem with rhe ac supply...it will damage the converter b4 it gets to the dc motor grin grin..so they are secure knowing that no harm can befall the dc motor.

I guess that's why we install surge protectors or arrestors and stabilizers to ensure that we reduce the likelihood of damage.

Infact anyone using sensitive electronics without those in Nigeria has a lot of faith or a lot of money to spare

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:12am On Feb 20, 2022
mufutau55:

And wait until 10yrs reach and you need repairs, the up and down go frustrate you to buy a new one.

Hajji M.
True talk, all those long years of warranty are scam. Those technology will be outdate before those ten years. You wont even find the parts, the will then tell you to add more money to get the latest technology. When you do, the difference wont make any sense. Please shine your eyes, be reminded that you're are giving those sales people money. Those warranty fees, sales people get some percentage of it as their bonus, that is why they we do anything to convince you to buy warranty. I know this from a friend, use to be reginal store manager. He managed 45 stores across States
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:27am On Feb 20, 2022
dapotemi:

It's here ALREADY, I think @radautowork gives a lifetime warranty on her brake pad purchases..She's in lekki and on nairaland too..Although she no Dey comment often as before, she say our wahala too much ...Shes one of those that relocated from the abrodians..lol

She lie? grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:28am On Feb 20, 2022
sonnie10:

There might be some difference and twist. Will she give you the brake pad to take to any mechanic of your choice? Or to do a DIY? Or do they ask you to pay for replacement labor which in actual sense could cover cost of pads.

The one I am talking about is, you just go there with the old pads, give it to them and collect new pads and go home. No other transactions.

I don't know the details but she actually brought 2 or 3 USA auto parts/repair franchises over.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 11:38am On Feb 20, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

She lie? grin
I just searched for that name here; like one poster said, NL is not good for business reputation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:51am On Feb 20, 2022
sonnie10:

I just searched for that name here; like one poster said, NL is not good business reputation.

They have a franchise for CarQuest - I'm sure you've seen them in the USA. I consider the RadAutoWorks family friends.

Despite some contrary opinion, Seun and his NairaLand platform has made serious and savvy users millions of naira over the decade. I've sold at least 10 plots of land to NairaLanders over the past 365 days. I'll always be grateful. I think NairaLand is very good for business. The inability of some to grasp online sales and customer relation shouldn't be used as a measuring stick. I'm sure I'll be a lousy yam seller at Ojo Oba and blame the market at the end - lol.

If you ever visit RadAutoWorks you'll get the same feeling as if you entered AuzoZone - I guarantee you.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:54am On Feb 20, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

They went at it until 5PM. I just think it’s inconsiderate and I would never subject my future neighbors to that though it’s Nigeria that’s doing it to us all.

All of this is just to save Omo Onile fees.
Your frustration start making sense. I don't think the owner is even aware they are drilling his borehole at nigh. You don't want to know how much its cost me when a delivery truck drive to me site per day because of these miscreants Omo Onile. Some of them can kill because of 5k naira my brother, the day I saw it with mine korokoro eyes when my driver is arguing with them when we follow truck to site. My brother when one of them shattered bottle in the head of the truck driver, they are asking him for 4k I end up giving them 8k not to kill this guy. Since then no more augments ooo, I become gentle man around them.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:07pm On Feb 20, 2022
kopell:
Your frustration start making sense. I don't think the owner is even aware they are drilling his borehole at nigh. You don't want to know how much its cost me when a delivery truck drive to me site per day because of these miscreants Omo Onile. Some of them can kill because of 5k naira my brother, the day I saw it with mine korokoro eyes when my driver is arguing with them when we follow truck to site. My brother when one of them shattered bottle in the head of the truck driver, they are asking him for 4k I end up giving them 8k not to kill this guy. Since then no more augments ooo, I become gentle man around them.

It's just not right to do that in a residential environment in my humble opinion. I'll never do that to my neighbours. I am fully aware of Omo Onile. My monthly budget has a line item for gifts to the ones in my area. They have their usefulness.

The machine is still there so maybe they're planning another all nighter. I'll abandon the street for them and just go check into a hotel. Shikena.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 1:33pm On Feb 20, 2022
mufutau55:

Abi you wan kill us, "The Billionaires" on this thread? smiley

Hajji M.

Kill ke, baba oh! Pikin like me no fit oh. I dey pray and work to be a billionaire too and join the geng of billionaires nio.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 1:34pm On Feb 20, 2022
rotecch77:

Abi wetin we go talk again, before people will talk say I Dey support the guy too much about price

Lol, kudos Chief. You are doing well SIR
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 2:28pm On Feb 20, 2022
sonnie10:

Bros, no games in this arena. As they say it, that is how it is.
Let me give you one example. Did you know that some brake pads at Autozone store have lifetime warranty? At least this one I have used.
You make a normal one time purchase (no extra charges) and then, each time the brake pads get worn out, you return them for a free replacement. Completely no charge, and no questions asked.
Don’t ask me how the manufacturer make their profit, because I don’t know.
When will Nigeria reach that level, in terms of quality assurance?
Jesu!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by inze(m): 3:05pm On Feb 20, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

They have a franchise for CarQuest - I'm sure you've seen them in the USA. I consider the RadAutoWorks family friends.

Despite some contrary opinion, Seun and his NairaLand platform has made serious and savvy users millions of naira over the decade. I've sold at least 10 plots of land to NairaLanders over the past 365 days. I'll always be grateful. I think NairaLand is very good for business. The inability of some to grasp online sales and customer relation shouldn't be used as a measuring stick. I'm sure I'll be a lousy yam seller at Ojo Oba and blame the market at the end - lol.

If you ever visit RadAutoWorks you'll get the same feeling as if you entered AuzoZone - I guarantee you.

these couldn't have been spoken any better

Baba Egun grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by inze(m): 3:10pm On Feb 20, 2022
dapotemi:

Radautoworks no get strength for some naija peeps wahala. She rocks her semi-automatic revolver freely just incase.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Itsrm(m): 3:20pm On Feb 20, 2022
earthrealm:

Itsrm

I can't say that I'm surprised

I have always suspected that something might be hidden in those fine print. cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:28pm On Feb 20, 2022
My contribution to the warranty stuff.

I bought a top loading LG washing machine. About 3 months later it wouldn’t complete the cycle. Called LG and they sent a nice technician out who tested the machine fine and that it was the low voltage in my neighborhood causing it. Sure enough when I on’d the gen, the issue wasn’t there.

Last year I bought a 70” LG TV. Few weeks after lightning struck and took out one of the internal system boards. Even though it was plugged into a stabilizer and the house allegedly has both ground and thunder arrestor. Allegedly because I paid for it.

So it’s my opinion that yes they honor warranty. I haven’t tested long term yet but I doubt I’ll ever keep any of these modern electronics for ten years.

Oh, I’ll never buy any extended warranty either. I’m okay playing the numbers.

Your mileage may vary.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 3:29pm On Feb 20, 2022
Born2conquer:

I think you can only get pure leather in the north

They skin every animal they slaughter for meat and they sun dry the skin for leather, I see them every market day
As promised, what I saw today grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 4:06pm On Feb 20, 2022
sonnie10:

Please do not buy ready made furniture, Go to the market and select the material you want, either fabric of leather, Give it to someone to make for you. Tell them the type of wood you want. Mahogany is a good one but be sure to see it once purchased or follow them to wood market to select the type of wood you want. Time consuming but that is what it is.

You can always Pay someone to go through that stress for you, (An interior Designer, I'd say) Just confirm the quality.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 4:21pm On Feb 20, 2022
henrymor:
should I do general cleaning, like cleaning the windows, washing the tiles and all before painting the interior? Please, what do you suggest?

Thanks

The Bolded should be done after painting your interior.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 4:48pm On Feb 20, 2022
FEGEITOK:

I guess that's why we install surge protectors or arrestors and stabilizers to ensure that we reduce the likelihood of damage.

Infact anyone using sensitive electronics without those in Nigeria has a lot of faith or a lot of money to spare

Only if you buy correct surge arrestor or suppressor and also have good lightening arrestor
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 4:50pm On Feb 20, 2022
Born2conquer:

As promised, what I saw today grin

These ones look more genuine but they are not finished. Probably for onward export to those with the capacity to manufacturer finished leather.
Please where is this place?

Did you ask for the price?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kingdemu: 5:21pm On Feb 20, 2022
Good day Gents. Can someone please talk about the central solar water heaters and how one can benefit from it in Nigeria. I was reading through old pages and I came across some few posts on it suggesting it is only achievable when incorporated in the initial building plan. Does anyone use this or has knowledge on this?

And for deep freezers, would buying a standalone solar deep freezer so as to reduce the load on a solar system one will want to incorporate, a wise decision than just factoring in your regular deep freezer into your solar system set-up budget? Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:29pm On Feb 20, 2022
spyder880:
Happy Sunday my people.

Nah where life meet you, you go enjoy am o.
This persin no get any stress o. He dey live life jejely.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 5:32pm On Feb 20, 2022
sonnie10:

These ones look more genuine but they are not finished. Probably for onward export to those with the capacity to manufacturer finished leather.
Please where is this place?

Did you ask for the price?
Yes, they merely skin it and transfer it to those that would be finishing it,.
1)The goatskin is around 5k to 6k (everything)
2)The whole cow shouldn't be up to 20k.

I couldn't really negotiate better due to the language barrier.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:35pm On Feb 20, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

They went at it until 5PM. I just think it’s inconsiderate and I would never subject my future neighbors to that though it’s Nigeria that’s doing it to us all.

All of this is just to save Omo Onile fees.

There you have it. I have a friend who did his complete decking overnight because of Omonile people, he was upset with me when I told him I paid OmoOnile N200k for my decking. Naija for you o.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 5:37pm On Feb 20, 2022
Kingdemu:
Good day Gents. Can someone please talk about the central solar water heaters and how one can benefit from it in Nigeria. I was reading through old pages and I came across some few posts on it suggesting it is only achievable when incorporated in the initial building plan. Does anyone use this or has knowledge on this?

And for deep freezers, would buying a standalone solar deep freezer so as to reduce the load on a solar system one will want to incorporate, a wise decision than just factoring in your regular deep freezer into your solar system set-up budget? Thanks

Solar water is good if you want to install one in your on going project. Although it's a huge cost buying it. I have not seeing any solar freezer but to me fridge and freezer consume less power compare to other heating equipment
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KelvinCoaster(m): 5:45pm On Feb 20, 2022
Kingdemu:
Good evening Gents. Pls, what are your thoughts in buying semi detached duplex in gated estates built by reputable real estate coys in Abuja in places like Gwarimpa, Karsana and Life Camp, compared to using same cash to buy a plot in far outskirts satellite villages to build a fully detached and fenced one? Aside the obvious proximity and the perks of being close to the city center, will it be wise
financially,consideringg factors like security (since obviously for comfort reasons, building a fully detached and fenced personal duplex is better) to consider a semi-detached already built one?

*Pics of semi-detached duplex/terrace for illustration
It is financially not possible using same amount of cash that would buy a semi detached duplex in a gated estate in the locations mentioned to buy a plot and build a fully detached duplex in a 'typical Abuja Satellite town'.
You will spend a little near double of the amount for the semi detached duplex!!

The cost of a plot of land in a 'typical Abuja Satellite town' has escalated since Bello became FCT Minister.

I'ld suggest that you buy the semi detached duplex in any of those location because currently your expectation on the Satellite town can not be met.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ezo4fta(m): 5:45pm On Feb 20, 2022
hslbroker2:
The Simplest Way To Calculate The Numbers Of Blocks U Need For Your Fence

The simplest way to calculate the numbers of blocks you need for your fence project, assuming you are fencing a land measuring 120 feet by 60 ft, a standard plot

This calculation is based on 9 inches block fence .
The measurement we are using is 120 ft (length) and since we have two lengths that is multiply by 2 which is 240 ft. (120 x 2) = 240

The breadth is 60 ft and also since we have 2 breadths that equal 120 ft (60 x 2) = 120
Then (240 + 120) that is 360 feet perimeter line fencing.

The calculation

(we are to convert this 360 feet to inches ) since a foot is 12 inches , now let us multiply 12 inches by 360 ft which is 4320 inches.

Now to get the line numbers of blocks that will go around the fence perimeters of 4320 inches or 360 feet, we would need to divide 4320 by 18 inches, since the length of any block be it 6 inches or 9 inches is 18inches.

Now 4320 inches divide by 18 inches is approximately 240 line of blocks , then we must multiply that by the numbers of coaches of blocks you want for your height, assuming 7 ft which is 9 coaches that means 240 multiply by 9 which is 2160 blocks and that is all you need anything aside from this is fake and fraud, this calculation is derive by me professionally and i have been using it without any mistake, but always remember to add 10 % of blocks to it because of broken blocks, and for this work, you only need 30 bags of cements, one bag of cement to 70 blocks, is standard.

for your pillars between the fence, let assume 6 blocks far from the next pillar, that means 6 divide by 240 which is 40 pillars, 1 bag of cement to 2 pillars standard, that is 17 bags plus 40 bags that is 47 bags is need by me to do this fence, if i'm in position and you should also to add 15 bags for floor blinding of the fence making 62 bags of cement.

Then, we need to minus the gate and the pillars that are also taking space in the fence.

The gate is 12 ft, let us assume the gate columns or pillars is 14 inches each, we have 2 pillars holding the gate, that is 28 inches or 2. 4 feet plus 12 feet that is 14.4 feet or approximately 15 feet.

Remember we already calculate the pillars that 40 pillars is need for the measurement.

Each pillar or column for 9 inches concrete is 9 inches square, 9 x 40 = 360 inches that is (30 feet + 15 feet = 45 feet ) / 18 inches = 30 blocks multiply by the number of coaches, 30 x 9 = 270 block minus 2160 blocks = 1890 blocks in total.

40 lengths of 12mm iron rod, since one pillar is equivalent to 1 length.

3 lengths of 16mm iron rod for the 2 big pillars holding the gate.

90 planks of soft wood for the framing.

1 truck of granite (granite would be use for the wall foundation and columns)

5 trucks of sharp sand

Thanks for the opportunity giving me to explain this simple arithmetic.

Regards
Adeniyi

If u have further Information check my signature
nice
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 5:55pm On Feb 20, 2022
Born2conquer:

Yes, they merely skin it and transfer it to those that would be finishing it,.
1)The goatskin is around 5k to 6k (everything)
2)The whole cow shouldn't be up to 20k.

I couldn't really negotiate better due to the language barrier.

Where is this?

You see why our economy is the way it is. The same thing is going on at almost every segment. No value added.
The same leather we export for 20k (less than $40) is processed and sold back to us for $1000 per whole cow size.
Similar situation with cocoa. A full jute bag of cocoa is sold for less than the price of a packet of chocolate bar.
The other day I saw processed finished oak plank of 6 feet length for $40 a piece on Home Depot. While we sell correct mahogany of 12 feet (unprocessed) for less than #5k ( about $5 for 6 feet length)
The biggest pocket drain. We export crude oil to pay subsidies for refined products, at the detriment of the country’s fiscal reserve.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 5:55pm On Feb 20, 2022
cretin:
I believe this issue has been handled before, but couldnt locate it.

Whats the hieght of a normal tank stand for a bungalow, am thinking about 28ft, 8ft will go into the ground/foundation.20ft will now be above ground. Kindly correct me.

Also the cost. What is the estimate for the cost?.
Round pipe is cheaper .
Location is south east

Your preferred head is ok, you shouldn't have any issue with the pressure, but kindly ensure your pipe are sized optimally

(1) (2) (3) ... (2789) (2790) (2791) (2792) (2793) (2794) (2795) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Anthony223 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.