Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,969 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2791) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4375046 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2788) (2789) (2790) (2791) (2792) (2793) (2794) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Thenext: 11:21pm On Feb 19, 2022
Baba please can you give us the likely rate per square meter to be paid to a painter?

quote author=EgunMogaji2 post=110374676]

My painter and paint supplier are both NairaLanders and on this thread.

My suggestion is for an industry rate per square meter. It’ll protect both painter and paintee.

Of course highly skilled painter and more complex jobs may attract a surcharge.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:11am On Feb 20, 2022
Thenext:
Baba please can you give us the likely rate per square meter to be paid to a painter?

quote author=EgunMogaji2 post=110374676]

My painter and paint supplier are both NairaLanders and on this thread.

My suggestion is for an industry rate per square meter. It’ll protect both painter and paintee.

Of course highly skilled painter and more complex jobs may attract a surcharge.

I really have no idea because I’ve now only painted just one house in Nigeria.

That being said I consider the N60K to be fair for the job being discussed.

The issue is getting a qualified person because a lot of inept highway robbers are masquerading about as artisans.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:17am On Feb 20, 2022
Borehole is being drilled opposite my house. They started at 11PM. The interesting thing is that the owner lives in the USA. Shit that he won’t dream of attempting in the USA is done in Nigeria. Talk about using your left hand to describe the way to his fathers house.

Can Nigeria be redeemed?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 1:10am On Feb 20, 2022
sonnie10:

Can those be used for upholstery?
I would never buy any imported upholstery in Nigeria. Locally made ones have more quality. Left for me, all those knock-off chinese furniture won’t sell. Nigeria has been conditioned to accept everything as normal.

This is not only in the furniture business, even electronics. Take for instance the Samsung ridge I bought for $4500, it has 10 warranty. Which company would give 10 warranty on their electronics in Nigeria? They all get away with dumping substandard goods in Nigeria.

It is not just a matter of purchasing power, it’s also an issue of weak regulatory actions.
I believe they will need further processing, but I really can't give a straight answer now, I merely know it's a tradition to deskin animals after slaughtering.

Mhen, one of the problems of Nigeria is that most of the regulatory bodies are not working and even the JUDICIARY is not helping matters, reasons why banks and telecommunications get away with a lot of ripoff.

You pray before buying any product or service because whatever you see after buying is strictly and sadly on your head.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 1:11am On Feb 20, 2022
EgunMogaji2:
Borehole is being drilled opposite my house. They started at 11PM. The interesting thing is that the owner lives in the USA. Shit that he won’t dream of attempting in the USA is done in Nigeria. Talk about using your left hand to describe the way to his fathers house.

Can Nigeria be redeemed?
Part of the problems we have too, the citizens.

They become law-abiding once they travel and break same laws in Nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 1:13am On Feb 20, 2022
michlins:
yes I get your point. That's why some people do jobs meant for the majority because of their understanding of their target market.

What I frown upon is when someone is paid for a specific quality and he or she delivers subpar. That's obtaining under pretenses and a criminal act.
Now you get it Chief.

Happy Sunday

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 1:14am On Feb 20, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Part of critical thinking.
Learning from you Sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:57am On Feb 20, 2022
Horlardorjah:

If they don't Gerrit, they should forget about it.
Can they pay the premium for a local product gangan ni issue. They can't walk the walk n can't pay the Price. Without them, artisans are living fine n good. Let them get their viva or vivoo or vivuuu.
The so called Chinese, Lebanese, Italians are using our guys here at their respective workshops for their productions but our imported oriented folks pay the premium.
If you know you know.
Same people that can buy imported items can't pay 100naira for a block setting or 1200 for tiling. We muueve

Abi you wan kill us, we "The Billionaires" on this thread? smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:02am On Feb 20, 2022
sonnie10:

Good. Do you know the price?

And wait until 10yrs reach and you need repairs, the up and down go frustrate you to buy a new one.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:04am On Feb 20, 2022
EgunMogaji2:
Can Nigeria be redeemed?

Oga Egun, I beg wetin the man do? Briefly ni o.
If the problem is about digging borehole at 11pm, I dont see anything wrong in that... do we have a law in Nigeria that says no constructions at night, and how much noise can a borehole drilling machine make?
Even here in USA, at least in NYC, construction is 24hrs... but for those of you that live in the Suburb, there may be ordinance against that.
Even in Naija in those days I remembered Julius Berger, Soleil Bonnel, etc used to have noisy constructions at night.

Hajji M.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by edoman2016: 2:16am On Feb 20, 2022
Kingdemu:
Good evening Gents. Pls, what are your thoughts in buying semi detached duplex in gated estates built by reputable real estate coys in Abuja in places like Gwarimpa, Karsana and Life Camp, compared to using same cash to buy a plot in far outskirts satellite villages to build a fully detached and fenced one? Aside the obvious proximity and the perks of being close to the city center, will it be wise
financially,consideringg factors like security (since obviously for comfort reasons, building a fully detached and fenced personal duplex is better) to consider a semi-detached already built one?

*Pics of semi-detached duplex/terrace for illustration

If you are young and still an employee, buy the semi detached duplex in the gated estate due to proximity to your workplace. It will save you stress.

Whereas, if you are self employed or retiree, buy a plot of land in the city outskirts and build your fully detached duplex. You will love and enjoy the serenity and peace of living in outskirt of the city

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Oduduwa707: 4:23am On Feb 20, 2022
2roll:

Whoever is handling your Whatsapp messages should do more on customers relationship. My 2 cent.

Very true. He also kinda replies nonchalantly on there.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:07am On Feb 20, 2022
Happy Sunday my people.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 6:24am On Feb 20, 2022
Kingdemu:
Good evening Gents. Pls, what are your thoughts in buying semi detached duplex in gated estates built by reputable real estate coys in Abuja in places like Gwarimpa, Karsana and Life Camp, compared to using same cash to buy a plot in far outskirts satellite villages to build a fully detached and fenced one? Aside the obvious proximity and the perks of being close to the city center, will it be wise
financially,consideringg factors like security (since obviously for comfort reasons, building a fully detached and fenced personal duplex is better) to consider a semi-detached already built one?

*Pics of semi-detached duplex/terrace for illustration

First things first, I believe there are also fully detached duplexes in gated estates in Abuja, but they will cost a lot more.

Second, center of town is more secure than outskirts satellite villages. Gated estates as a general rule are more secure than non-gated outskirt satellite villages. Think of all the kidnapping attacks reported around Kuje, Pegi to mention but a few. How many such kidnapping attempts have been reported from the gated estates?

Thirdly, you are carrying about a placard, I am rich and established if you build the same kind of building you see in those gated estates in outskirts satellite villages, that exposure can be a liability and will vastly increase the money and resources you need to deploy and provide yourself commensurate security.

Forth, did you know what happened along the Nyanya axis in the last 72 hours, how according to unconfirmed news reports, a fallen tanker led to a traffic snarl that has lasted over 48 hours now, what if you have a medical emergency, can you afford to get a helicopter to ferry yourself or a family member out of that part of town? What of an urgent business?

Fifth, it can be a good future investment, here is why, there is planned road development that if completed will completely eliminate the problems of coming in and going out of Nyanya.

Seventh, it all depends on the sort of quality of life you desire for yourself and your family. As a general rule, the suburbs receive fewer hours of electricity than those gated estates in the center of town. So, figure in cost of fuel and sufficient capacity of solar power. Some of your friends and contacts will have issues visiting.

Those readily come to mind, there may be other issues that other members can raise.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NoToPile: 6:44am On Feb 20, 2022
Dirkcoyt:
I love this thread , what have deduced . Underground beefs Dey gbogbo eyin arabanbi family and west and east coast bone straight and harmony thugs grin

Price vs Value wahala
Akagum vs spender whalala
Young vs older wahala
Abroadians vs homebasedians wahala
Team Artisans vs team patronisers whahala

Critics vs don’t kill me with destructive crictism wahala

Team pepper dem vs team shey na like this we go Dey de

Team founding fathers vs the young shall grow wahala

Team story of my life vs we don’t need motivation

Team how to spend your money vs elegushi spenders

Team like and share vs team we are here for violence only

Team we never get money for cement vs hope this quotation is right

Are you a tailor vs I’m a fashion designer wahalai

grin everybody go Dey alright

We the silent readers are enjoying all the drama o jare grin. @ bolded is sure

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:17am On Feb 20, 2022
mufutau55:

Oga Egun, I beg wetin the man do? Briefly ni o.
If the problem is about digging borehole at 11pm, I dont see anything wrong in that... do we have a law in Nigeria that says no constructions at night, and how much noise can a borehole drilling machine make?
Even here in USA, at least in NYC, construction is 24hrs... but for those of you that live in the Suburb, there may be ordinance against there.
Even in Naija in those days I remembered Julius Berger, Soleil Bonne, etc used to have noisy constructions at night.

Hajji M.

Okay Sir.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:19am On Feb 20, 2022
spyder880:
Happy Sunday my people.

Happy Sunday Sir.

My motto exactly. Why wait to enjoy AC when tomorrow is not guaranteed.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:25am On Feb 20, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Can Nigeria be redeemed?
there is night construction going on at my backyard, they usually resume by 11pm we hardly sleep.. but then what can we do

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 7:27am On Feb 20, 2022
spyder880:
Happy Sunday my people.

You enjoy life where life meets you grin grin grin wink wink smiley smiley

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:30am On Feb 20, 2022
twinskenny:
there is night construction going on at my backyard, they usually resume by 11pm we hardly sleep.. but then what can we do

They went at it until 5PM. I just think it’s inconsiderate and I would never subject my future neighbors to that though it’s Nigeria that’s doing it to us all.

All of this is just to save Omo Onile fees.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 8:03am On Feb 20, 2022
Damn!
Missed all the fun
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:18am On Feb 20, 2022
MMotimo:
Damn!
Missed all the fun
You're welcome. There are more from where it came from
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 8:27am On Feb 20, 2022
Itsrm:

I have seen an LG inverter AC with a 10 year warranty.

10yeara warranty in Nigeria?? Things are getting better be that ooo
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 9:09am On Feb 20, 2022
folmus:

You enjoy life where life meets you grin grin grin wink wink smiley smiley

I have adopted this strategy long time ago. I no fit ki myself!

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Itsrm(m): 9:09am On Feb 20, 2022
topsy23:

My first thought when I saw it was that these guys have balls.

What remains to be seen is what they have written in fine print.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 9:23am On Feb 20, 2022
Itsrm:

My first thought when I saw it was that these guys have balls.

What remains to be seen is what they have written in fine print.
Bros, no games in this arena. As they say it, that is how it is.
Let me give you one example. Did you know that some brake pads at Autozone store have lifetime warranty? At least this one I have used.
You make a normal one time purchase (no extra charges) and then, each time the brake pads get worn out, you return them for a free replacement. Completely no charge, and no questions asked.
Don’t ask me how the manufacturer make their profit, because I don’t know.
When will Nigeria reach that level, in terms of quality assurance?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:45am On Feb 20, 2022
Terms and conditions applies.
A client that wanted to buy a popular brand told me they gave 5 years guarantee and I went to check on their website to confirm.
There is very little chance of them being liable with the conditions listed but I guess the client didn't take time to read it.
Same product that I've supplied more than 5 years at little more than half the price.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cretin: 9:50am On Feb 20, 2022
I believe this issue has been handled before, but couldnt locate it.

Whats the hieght of a normal tank stand for a bungalow, am thinking about 28ft, 8ft will go into the ground/foundation.20ft will now be above ground. Kindly correct me.

Also the cost. What is the estimate for the cost?.
Round pipe is cheaper .
Location is south east
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omoajiri(m): 9:53am On Feb 20, 2022
Greetings y'all.
I trust that you are well.
On the instruction of my client, I have been engaged to find and buy a semi-detached or terrace duplex in Marwa/MKO garden, Alausa.
Please let me know if you have anyone available for sale.
Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 9:59am On Feb 20, 2022
topsy23:

Any company that gives such warranty in Nigeria needs to be commended. Certain things are not just possible in an unstable environment.
Before a company would offer such, like the Samsung, they must have assessed the general operational environment of the consumers households. Power fluctuation is the major cause of refrigerator damage. So, in absence of that, where there is constant electricity and no voltage surge or drop, they can willingly give warranty, knowing too well that there is little or no risk. It’s all marketing.
Nigeria “generator economy” is a different ball game. Any company that tries it, is playing with fire.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 10:26am On Feb 20, 2022
topsy23:

Itsrm

Read the fine print, the 10yrs waranty is only on the dc motor grin grin.

My Lg washing machine i bought in 2012 has 10yrs waranty which expires this yr. But the fine print of the waranty says its only on the dc drive motor.

See the physics behind it..

The ac gets converted to dc before it gets to the motor to power it. So if there is any problem with rhe ac supply...it will damage the converter b4 it gets to the dc motor grin grin..so they are secure knowing that no harm can befall the dc motor.

My samsung microwave oven has same 10yrs waranty on motor only

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cretin: 10:28am On Feb 20, 2022
sonnie10:

Bros, no games in this arena. As they say it, that is how it is.
Let me give you one example. Did you know that some brake pads at Autozone store have lifetime warranty? At least this one I have used.
You make a normal one time purchase (no extra charges) and then, each time the brake pads get worn out, you return them for a free replacement. Completely no charge, and no questions asked.
Don’t ask me how the manufacturer make their profit, because I don’t know.
When will Nigeria reach that level, in terms of quality assurance?

When will nigeria have stable electricity?.
Electricity was invented over 2 centuries ago.
The most populous black nation on the earth is still battling with providing basic electricity to her citizens 250yrs after the invention of electricity.
Mumu race

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2788) (2789) (2790) (2791) (2792) (2793) (2794) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.