Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2995) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4419541 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2992) (2993) (2994) (2995) (2996) (2997) (2998) ... (3673) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Oviebright: 10:23pm On May 18, 2022
Please why do people use hollow block nowadays instead of blind blocks. What's the difference?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 10:24pm On May 18, 2022
somehow:
Please house, can a half plot of land take 4 units of 2 bedroom flats with car park of like 4 cars?

Though somone said the down floor can be used for the car park by constructing a "suspended/hanging" foundation.
If your plot size is 9m*36m(324sqm), you can get something out of it but not without a compromise in terms of spatial allocation, setbacks etc. You likely may get just 2 or 3 tandem parking lot. Getting the design approved, you will have to do some wuruwuru with the authorities.

For a plot size of 15m*15m (225sqm), it won't work out.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 10:27pm On May 18, 2022
somehow:
Please house, can a half plot of land take 4 units of 2 bedroom flats with car park of like 4 cars?

Though somone said the down floor can be used for the car park by constructing a "suspended/hanging" foundation.
If you will use the ground floor for your parking lot. The implication is that you will have 2 suspended floors in order to get 4units.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 10:31pm On May 18, 2022
Oviebright:
How much can an architect charge for designing of a 4 flat upstairs. And for decking site supervision. Mine charged me 200k for design and 120k for decking supervision. Is it gfair or expensive? I'm helping a friend build his house cos he's not presently around.
The design fee is okay.
Hope he is giving you the full package?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Oviebright: 10:36pm On May 18, 2022
UC92:

The design fee is okay.
But architectural and structural drawings. What about the supervision fees? It's a for a week or less of decking. Supervising the carpenter and iron bender.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Oviebright: 10:36pm On May 18, 2022
UC92:

The design fee is okay.
Both architectural and structural drawings. What about the supervision fees? It's a for a week or less of decking. Supervising the carpenter and iron bender.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:42pm On May 18, 2022
somehow:

"Suspended / hanging foundation"

I guess he's talking about having the ground floor as car park.

Assuming it's even possible, the associated cost of using the ground floor for car park is not worth it at all..

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 10:47pm On May 18, 2022
Oviebright:

Both architectural and structural drawings. What about the supervision fees? It's a for a week or less of decking. Supervising the carpenter and iron bender.
The full package should be; Architectural, structural, electrical and mechanical designs all affixed with professional seal. The structural should also have an analysis sheet.

For the supervision fee, it depends on the level the supervisor is operating on, so I can't say if it is high or low for the caliber of person involved.

PS: are you at the design stage and at the same time decking?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:50pm On May 18, 2022
Good evening everyone..

I was sent this plan.. A 3 bedroom + office measuring about 22m x 9m.

Need constructive criticism. And rate the architect from 1-10.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Oviebright: 10:56pm On May 18, 2022
UC92:

The full package should be; Architectural, structural, electrical and mechanical designs all affixed with professional seal. The structural should also have an analysis sheet.

For the supervision fee, it depends on the level the supervisor is operating on, so I can't say if it is high or low for the caliber of person involved.

PS: are you at the design stage and at the same time decking?
Sorry to mention I was talking about two different sites. One at designing the other at decking stage but it's the same architect. He only gave me the architectural and structural drawings with seal. He's a licensed guy. But we intend using flat roof for the decking building I'm seeing a lot of negative comments on flat roofing. And the architect said we should use hollow Blocks what's the difference between using hollow block and normal blind blocks?
What's the use of mechanical drawings I'm not familiar with it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 11:11pm On May 18, 2022
KolaShangOne:
Good evening everyone..

I was sent this plan.. A 3 bedroom + office measuring about 22m x 9m.

Need constructive criticism. And rate the architect from 1-10.
One would have given an informed criticism if you posted the site plan, at least from there we would have known why the designer chose to do certain things the way it is here.

That notwithstanding, I will point out some things I am not comfortable with.
1. Laundry-kitchen relationship. The activities to be carried out in this two spaces are in no way related and shouldn't have a strong relationship.
Assuming you have a little kid who just defecated, your wife is making a delicious meal in the kitchen can you at that moment take the kids clothes with all the faeces on it to the laundry through the kitchen to wash?
A proper laundry isn't just a space to keep washing machine, you need a space for ironing, hang-drying cloths during the rain etc.

2. A closet is a closet and not a lobby, you do not access another space through a closet.

3. Dead lobby

4. The store needs natural light

5. Poor dimensioning.
6. No dimensional coordination.
7. Not too good graphical representations

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 12:21am On May 19, 2022
UC92:

One would have given an informed criticism if you posted the site plan, at least from there we would have known why the designer chose to do certain things the way it is here.

That notwithstanding, I will point out some things I am not comfortable with.
1. Laundry-kitchen relationship. The activities to be carried out in this two spaces are in no way related and shouldn't have a strong relationship.
Assuming you have a little kid who just defecated, your wife is making a delicious meal in the kitchen can you at that moment take the kids clothes with all the faeces on it to the laundry through the kitchen to wash?
A proper laundry isn't just a space to keep washing machine, you need a space for ironing, hang-drying cloths during the rain etc.

2. A closet is a closet and not a lobby, you do not access another space through a closet.

3. Dead lobby

4. The store needs natural light

5. Poor dimensioning.
6. No dimensional coordination.
7. Not too good graphical representations

Thank you for your time.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 1:35am On May 19, 2022
Oviebright:

Sorry to mention I was talking about two different sites. One at designing the other at decking stage but it's the same architect. He only gave me the architectural and structural drawings with seal. He's a licensed guy. But we intend using flat roof for the decking building I'm seeing a lot of negative comments on flat roofing. And the architect said we should use hollow Blocks what's the difference between using hollow block and normal blind blocks?
What's the use of mechanical drawings I'm not familiar with it.

MEP drawings Consists of all the details regarding HVAC systems, wiring, and piping required for the construction of any type of structure
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 7:15am On May 19, 2022
KolaShangOne:

Thank you for your time.
You are welcome sir.
I wish you success in your project.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 7:28am On May 19, 2022
topsy23:

Maybe his option is not power(high or medium voltage). He might be communication or electronics options grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:33am On May 19, 2022
Oviebright:

I'm in benin city. U?

Lagos sir. We can do it and PDF it to you sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:54am On May 19, 2022
ArcToyin:

No, it can't.
Oh
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 7:55am On May 19, 2022
Hollow blocks are light weight and they are use to reduce the load on the building being transferred to the foundation.

The blind blocks are heavier and also has more weight than the hollow ones.

Oviebright:
Please why do people use hollow block nowadays instead of blind blocks. What's the difference?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:56am On May 19, 2022
rotecch77:

YES YES and YES it will take it but have it in your mind that approved set back I.e 6m, 3m , 3m , 3m will not work here…
I’m presently working on one like that 30*120ft
We have 15 lock up shop, A standard bakery and 5units of room, parlor self contain ( 6m 4m 1m 1m as our setback

More like 30by100

So what can be comfortably gotten from such a land for maximum profit?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:59am On May 19, 2022
UC92:

If your plot size is 9m*36m(324sqm), you can get something out of it but not without a compromise in terms of spatial allocation, setbacks etc. You likely may get just 2 or 3 tandem parking lot. Getting the design approved, you will have to do some wuruwuru with the authorities.

For a plot size of 15m*15m (225sqm), it won't work out.

Should be around 308

Without wuruwuru, what should be expected on such land with a parking lot sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 8:00am On May 19, 2022
UC92:

If you will use the ground floor for your parking lot. The implication is that you will have 2 suspended floors in order to get 4units.

Something like this but is it going to be okay by standard on such a small land?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 8:02am On May 19, 2022
KolaShangOne:

"Suspended / hanging foundation"

I guess he's talking about having the ground floor as car park.

Assuming it's even possible, the associated cost of using the ground floor for car park is not worth it at all..

You got it. This is what I want to understand before any step is taken.

Just need to know what can be possibly gotten from such space.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 8:31am On May 19, 2022
somehow:

Should be around 308

Please check what is applicable in your local planning authority vis setbacks.

Just did a little check, you could get setbacks of 1m on left and right sides, 2m on the rear, 5m on the approach. 2bedrooms of 2.7*3m sizes only one of the rooms will be ensuite with a convenience of about 1*1.8m. one other convenience for visitors and the second bedroom. Kitchen with size of about 1.8*4m. Lounge of 3.9*4.5m. a staircase of 1.8m width.

With this you would get just two parking lot. The gate could be made wide enough to take two cars at a go.

To use your ground floor for carpark, do a viability check before you consider that option.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrimeQuay: 9:33am On May 19, 2022
topsy23:
Buy this products and have rest of mind. 3years warranty on it

LIPER products with German standard

Check our thread for our installations

https://www.nairaland.com/6980507/distribution-boards-final-sub-circuit#112800191

ThanksLet us handle you DB termination and enjoy good cable management

Check our thread for more pictures

https://www.nairaland.com/6980507/distribution-boards-final-sub-circuit#112800191

Thanks

Pls can you share cost of the lights , I would like to try a few
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 10:01am On May 19, 2022
UC92:

Just did a little check, you could get setbacks of 1m on left and right sides, 2m on the rear, 5m on the approach. 2bedrooms of 2.7*3m sizes only one of the rooms will be ensuite with a convenience of about 1*1.8m. one other convenience for visitors and the second bedroom. Kitchen with size of about 1.8*4m. Lounge of 3.9*4.5m. a staircase of 1.8m width.

With this you would get just two parking lot. The gate could be made wide enough to take two cars at a go.

To use your ground floor for carpark, do a viability check before you consider that option.

Thanks sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:02am On May 19, 2022
PrimeQuay:

Pls can you share cost of the lights , I would like to try a few

Recessed
12w.. 4600
6w.....3850

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:08am On May 19, 2022
UC92:

1m on both sides means heat will deal with those on ground floor.

If the stairway will be indoors, then it's almost impossible.

A toilet and bathroom of 1m x 1.8m... That's 3ft x 5ft. So so small.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:09am On May 19, 2022
somehow:

Should be around 308

God bless you, with @ bold. The world are watching and reading everything we write. We most always learn how to do things the right way without wuruwuru. Haba kelode, won fi siwani ni Naija ni. Wuruwuru way of life. I saw this design from one of our old Nairalander online, it could be an idea of what you want on about the same size of land.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Obafisenco(m): 10:24am On May 19, 2022
somehow:

depend on the size of the half plot
it can contain if well manage by your architect

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Iriruaga100(m): 11:53am On May 19, 2022
somehow:

More like 30by100

So what can be comfortably gotten from such a land for maximum profit?

30by100 will accommodate four unit of two bedroom flat (two down, two up). This will only take two cars.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ArcToyin(m): 2:10pm On May 19, 2022
Oviebright:
How much can an architect charge for designing of a 4 flat upstairs. And for decking site supervision. Mine charged me 200k for design and 120k for decking supervision. Is it gfair or expensive? I'm helping a friend build his house cos he's not presently around.

Explain your definition of "flat" first. The design can still be done in a lesser amount except the brief contains some intricacies eg 3D, structural drawings etc.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ArcToyin(m): 2:13pm On May 19, 2022
rotecch77:

The project is in final finishings stage now

To clear your doubt look at the ground. Floor sketch I later did little modification to final drawing to accommodate it
( ground floor is about 12 shop and 2 toilet, upper floor 3 shops and 5 units of mini flats…. Room and parlor self contain ) people always asked me how did do it

Here are some pics… besides. 30*120 is still much available as halve plot in Lagos ooo , it’s Depends on area

If upper floor is inclusive, it can still be achievable but ground floor with 4 parking spaces, it is a no-no sir. Besides, building percentage shouldn't be more than 50% of the land area. You need space for other things. Overcrowding a house always lead to "wear and tear".

(1) (2) (3) ... (2992) (2993) (2994) (2995) (2996) (2997) (2998) ... (3673) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.