Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,641 members, 7,851,151 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:17 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (316) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4479253 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) ... (3689) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 3:32pm On Jun 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:

This is a rib slab with precast rib beam. The hollow block are made to have some minimum strength.

It is very cost effective because you eliminate lots of formwork and concrete section

Thanks to you and Brabus, for shedding light on this practice.

In my own opinion, l believe "Construction" ...is a SCIENCE.
Thus, l know that Engineers just dont decide 'randomly', on how many pipes to put, where to put it, size/thickness of pipes to put, e.t.c.

What is the Equation/Formula or "Scientific guiding principle" in this sort of practice?
Does anyone have a handle on such scientific formula?

I am thinking that we can save a lot of cost, even use less costly foundation and build on not so solid soils, if we can limit the weight of out Slabs, columns and beams..... while not sacrificing structural integrity.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 3:41pm On Jun 13, 2016
segcymoor:
@twinskenny... Eku owo lomi
thank you sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 3:53pm On Jun 13, 2016
@twinskenny . Congrats !!!! @ agarawu , egunmojagi .

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 4:22pm On Jun 13, 2016
lastpage:

Thus, l know that Engineers just dont decide 'randomly', on how many pipes to put, where to put it, size/thickness of pipes to put, e.t.c.

What is the Equation/Formula or "Scientific guiding principle" in this sort of practice?

I am thinking that we can save a lot of cost, even use less costly foundation and build on not so solid soils, if we can limit the weight of out Slabs, columns and beams..... while not sacrificing structural integrity.

Lastpage!

Very good question, there are design guide that one can follow to design ribbed slab.

For a lighter rib one can use polystyrene pod instead of the sancrete block or clay block.

Check out this ribbed design calculations done by me some years ago.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TLAX: 4:25pm On Jun 13, 2016
AZUH:

Azuh na which house be this?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 4:28pm On Jun 13, 2016
lastpage:

Lastpage!

The scientific quid is our BS codes and Euro code couple with basic understanding of structural analysis and design.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 4:28pm On Jun 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Very good question, there are design guild that one can follow to design ribbed slab.

For a lighter rib one can use polystyrene pod instead of the sancrete block or clay block.

Check out this ribbed design calculations done by my some years ago.

Very good Sir! kiss kiss

This is what l was after.

No "trial & error" ..... everything by the book.

Just hope "Baba-Mulika" will not attempt this sha. grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 4:33pm On Jun 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:

The scientific quid is our BS codes and Euro code couple with basic understanding of structural analysis and design.

If l want to "read-Up" on this, just for personal development (I know that wont still make me or anyone a structural/Design Engineer! grin )....

... Which Book/Author will you recommend? (The real "Bible" of Building)

Thanks for your pointed responses always.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 4:43pm On Jun 13, 2016
n3xt:

I'll defer to the Pros in the house. Good time to learn the right way to do it.

Meanwhile, I did pipe in columns before. Though, I ensured good concrete cover of at least 2" on 100mm pipes and more on 75mm drain pipes. The columns were wider and are supplemental columns.

I found this method easier and cleaner than the traditional break wall/break beam to lay pipe approach.

I don't know if it's wrong thing to do.

I've also done pipe in beam to beat the traditional laying of pipes in slab for bikes that have high headroom and are having POP, or suspended ceiling covering. Cable trays can be installed in the void space to take care of cables and everything else. Cheaper and easier to maintain.

I suspect what you have in mind is not what we are referring to?

Conduit purposes? YES!
Weight Reduction? NO!

As Abdulwastecx has shown, the thing involves a lot for Engineering calculations to avoid 'failure' of the Concrete involved.

I am just imagining, if l could eliminate about 40% total weight from a building, that building could / will float on a soil it is assumed not to be capable of floating on, without expensive Foundations like inverted raft, Piles, e.t.c.

That could be like #7Million+ saved, for a two storey building

Thanks for those pictures,l gbadun them. undecided undecided

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:02pm On Jun 13, 2016
lastpage:

1.) I hope this wont degenerate into another 'long story'?

2.) I am NOT dismissing "YOU" as a person. My reference was to the COMMENT you made. The two are different..

3.) Leave Egun out of this, no need to attach him to an issue you want to raise with me..... it may "wrongly", suggests "gangsterism"!

4.) below is your comment, verbatim, ...that l responded to

5.) Even if l dont know the meaning of "Q-plate" or have never been to the UK before, grin Google is always our friend, it is free and does not insult anyone for asking! grin

6.) My response was that not ALL CARS MUST have a Q-plate.
Emphasis on "ALL CARS" & "MUST".
My understanding is that if it is not an "undefined car", it does not have to have a Q-plate.

7.) No where in that definition did it say "ALL CARS IN THE UK have Q-plate"...... which is the impression "l" got from that sentence in your post.

Now, l understand that other people "may" use words or compose their sentences "loosely" ....and in the process, it may connote a different meaning to others reading it.
That is not enough reason to fly-off the handle and l dont come here for "likes" since its not about my person (no one even knows my person so, WTF?) .... its just limited to the comments we make, how we learn from each other and nothing more.

Easy Bro, let's move-on undecided

Thank you,

Lastpage!
Bro no need for long story, U miss understood what I was trying to say, its simple, if you car comes out of a box ie a KIT CAR,when you register it your number must start with Q, Q is reserved for these kind of vehicles your normal car ie BMW's Audi's and Toyota can not and never have a Q plate if modified B4 registration, I added Egun cos it was him I was discussing Q plate with cos I know him back in the days on his past moniker on the Auto section B4 as Usual you jumped in with ITK dismissing me with your *Vibes* comment.You want to lecture me about something I have lived with for 16 years.AND THATS THE BIT I DO NO LIKE ABOUT YOU.You talking about Google, I recommend you use it next time B4 you term someone broadcasting *vibes*It would do you a load of good if you just admit ur errors instead of justifying yourself with these long colorful comments and save yourself some embarrassment as usual.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:09pm On Jun 13, 2016
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 5:11pm On Jun 13, 2016
@TLAX my house

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jun 13, 2016
AZUH:
@TLAX my house

What did you build, a morgue? cheesy

What happened to the landscaping that you said you were doing?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:23pm On Jun 13, 2016
AZUH:
@TLAX my house
AH I see you are happy these days, I take it the problem is sorted right, good stuff.but your name is still in my book, we go speak to Oga at the top first b4 ermm grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 5:27pm On Jun 13, 2016
AZUH:
@TLAX my house
Beautiful house. It looklooks like something off a foreign movie scene with the stone works.
Quite far from I expected going by the jokes and comments here.
Good luck to your build sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:29pm On Jun 13, 2016
@ AZUH, where did you build this new house?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 5:42pm On Jun 13, 2016
AZUH:
@TLAX my house

AZUH, is this the house with the Chewing stick pillars ?

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:51pm On Jun 13, 2016
lastpage:

I suspect what you have in mind is not what we are referring to?

Conduit purposes? YES!
Weight Reduction? NO!

As Abdulwastecx has shown, the thing involves a lot for Engineering calculations to avoid 'failure' of the Concrete involved.

I am just imagining, if l could eliminate about 40% total weight from a building, that building could / will float on a soil it is assumed not to be capable of floating on, without expensive Foundations like inverted raft, Piles, e.t.c.

That could be like #7Million+ saved, for a two storey building

Thanks for those pictures,l gbadun them. undecided undecided

Lastpage!

you are right sir... i am also on the same page with you on the amount of money that can be saved if we use some modern method of building construction.

one major weight contributor to residential reinforced concrete structure is the "suspended slab and beam ", if this slab concrete section can be reduce, the weight will significantly reduce and dependent members like column, foundation footing will be reduced drastically.

I will highlight some of these construction method that can be changed a little bit to reduce cost.

1. isolated footings, combing footings or continuous footing and strip footings can be changed to on isolated/combine and continuous footings with grade beam, this will eliminates the need for sub structural work in most cases. the foundation wall for bungalow or one storey building only provide lateral brazing to the foundation columns and sometime help to carry ground floor wall. instead of building 1.8 meters (six couches of blocks in most cases) that will run into millions, the foundation column can be design as unbrazed column with fixed joint at the pad surface and DPC level. A grade beam can then be introduced on the ground surface with sufficient depth to links the foundation column, provide top restrain, carries the foundation wall and carries the DPC.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 13, 2016
Azuh, this is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Of course you know I'm joking. Carry go, nothing do you.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:07pm On Jun 13, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Azuh, this is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Of course you know I'm joking. Carry go, nothing do you.

the two structures doesn't really look alike... i am waiting to see the magic that was done to that house

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:08pm On Jun 13, 2016
gbadexy:

Beautiful house. It looklooks like something off a foreign movie scene with the stone works.
Quite far from I expected going by the jokes and comments here.
Good luck to your build sir.

that roof looks way too high for a bungalow
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babalose: 6:12pm On Jun 13, 2016
@abdulwastecx.....Some people like their house to be noticeable from very far away. The roof is part of a house obviously.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:18pm On Jun 13, 2016
babalose:
@abdulwastecx.....Some people like their house to be noticeable from very far away. The roof is part of a house obviously.

very good reason... i am cool with it sha if they can afford it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 6:20pm On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

Bro no need for long story, U miss understood what I was trying to say, its simple, if you car comes out of a box ie a KIT CAR,when you register it your number must start with Q, Q is reserved for these kind of vehicles your normal car ie BMW's Audi's and Toyota can not and never have a Q plate if modified B4 registration, I added Egun cos it was him I was discussing Q plate with cos I know him back in the days on his past moniker on the Auto section B4 as Usual you jumped in with ITK dismissing me with your *Vibes* comment.You want to lecture me about something I have lived with for 16 years.AND THATS THE BIT I DO NO LIKE ABOUT YOU.You talking about Google, I recommend you use it next time B4 you term someone broadcasting *vibes*It would do you a load of good if you just admit ur errors instead of justifying yourself with these long colorful comments and save yourself some embarrassment as usual.

Assuming l misunderstood what you are trying to say (as you said)...whats the big deal in that ?, that you need to write another Fullscap page, to explain what Q-Plate is, despite many, many explanations, including free Google, in previous post!

You actually think you are trying to embarras me? shocked shocked grin.......just because "l did not get what you are trying to say? Cheesux Christ! shocked shocked
LKWMD! ....You must be high on some cheap stuff this afternoon!

Well, it is not my fault that you cant construct sentences properly .....to "actually convey succinctly", what you have in mind"? grin grin

Maybe l should post you a certificate for knowing what Q-Plate is..... so you can frame it and hang it on your neck!
undecided undecided

Some of you here think too much of yourself!

Why do you keep on harping about "Liking me"?
if l knew you in real life, maybe l will give a rat-azz about' you liking me' .... but do l give a fphuck about some faceless, inconsequential-wannabe,....... liking me?
Nobody likes me, I dont want anyone to like me, l like Nobody! I dont give a hoot. I roll alone. Its not relevant at all. End of story!

Look, l dont have time for personal issues with "one time scorers" like you..... let me enjoy my Euro 2016 tournament.

1 - 0 (Ireland Sweden ...game-on)
Edit: Ibrahimovich turns provider, with an 'O.G'! Game ends 1-1.

Italy - Belgium 7:35pm tonight. kiss

Lastpage!

NB: You can write the next ten pages on this nonissue, get a thousand "likes" from your "like-buddies"....IT'S IRRELEVANT TO ME.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 6:20pm On Jun 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:

that roof looks way too high for a bungalow
I have no doubt you look at it from a professional structural engineer's point of view.
I'm just enjoying the view from a layman's perspective grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 6:22pm On Jun 13, 2016
@egunmojagi tell me what is not possible ? (Money)?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:22pm On Jun 13, 2016
gbadexy:

I have no doubt you look at it from a professional structural engineer's point of view.
I'm just enjoying the view from a layman's perspective grin

Naso o my oga make we enjoy our money abeg
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 6:23pm On Jun 13, 2016
n3xt:

You may find this site very interesting http://www.detallesconstructivos.net/en

I trust you!

if we need to nominate a "Researcher-in-Chief" on this thread, it would be too easy!

I will go through it once l am finished,probably at night time.

Thanks,

Lastage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jun 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:

the two structures doesn't really look alike... i am waiting to see the magic that was done to that house

They're not the same house, even the roof is different as well as the 3D.

But all these are normal for my good friend Azuh, he already warned us that "his head is not correct" (his words) grin

This is the 3D that he threatened us with previously.

Egun "Nairaland Archivist" Mogaji cheesy

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jun 13, 2016
AZUH:
@egunmojagi tell me what is not possible ? (Money)?

The only thing impossible in life is, nothing.

Listen, humans have built a house in space. Anything else is simple.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:39pm On Jun 13, 2016
AZUH:
chief azuh thanks oo your house look perfect now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:41pm On Jun 13, 2016
skimanski:

AZUH, is this the house with the Chewing stick pillars ?
lol oga no kill person with laugh oo

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) ... (3689) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: twinskenny(m), RockOfAgesAlumi(m), psychologist(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.