Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,542 members, 7,850,843 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:55 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (314) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4478607 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) ... (3688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:33am On Jun 13, 2016
EgunMogaji:

This is one of the ideas I have for my retirement.

Import the kit to Ibadan, build it in the technical trade school I'll be opening (sorry I don't want to become a big boy block maker grin ) and then ship it back out to US or Europe for sale.

I have a friend that's doing similar with kit planes in Nicaragua and is making a killing. He has a 2 year waiting list.

If only I can find a Nigerian that has the same passion and integrity then I can start before I'm living in Nigeria full time.
I think many of us living abroad who manage to gain one technical knowledge or the other are all thinking in that frame of mind of urs
me I'm planning something more harsh, when I go back and settle, Im buying chinese Engines and Im gonna do reverse Engineering on them.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:35am On Jun 13, 2016
n3xt:

There's N-Power which opened 2 days ago. http://npower.gov.ng
Well I was enjoying this project page until I got to the age limit bit, why age limit,they should have removed the age limit or make it up to retirement age.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:58am On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

I think many of us living abroad who manage to gain one technical knowledge or the other are all thinking in that frame of mind of urs
me I'm planning something more harsh, when I go back and settle, Im buying chinese Engines and Im gonna do reverse Engineering on them.

There you go.

Engines are not for cars alone.

Farm tractors, etc
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:02am On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

Well I was enjoying this project page until I got to the age limit bit, why age limit,they should have removed the age limit or make it up to retirement age.

This is Nigeria. Reverse engineering comes to mind. Everything is done in reverse here. I'm sure someone in the presidency requested the age limit thingy forgetting we have overaged adults at the helm of affairs. There's a demographic of people who are above those age that had ideas that can make Naija great.

Maybe there's a new project for them.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:05am On Jun 13, 2016
EgunMogaji:

There you go.

Engines are not for cars alone.

Farm tractors, etc
A friend of mine did it o n some block vibrating machine, I think he almost done

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 2:15am On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

ok anything out of a Box that drives with 4 wheels that is now called a car is a KIT car, In the UK, you number plate must start with Q hence I said Q plate.

Oga, why are you feeding us all these 'vibes'.......... or is it not this same U.K?

Plate numbers start with all sorts of alphabet, including letter Q!
All you need do is go to a car-sales website and see the different plate numbers.

BTW: are we deviating into politics, in this "Anything & Everything Building" thread?

Remember that Politics is called "The Dirty Game"........ and NO ONE can show me a Politician, who does not have skeletons!

The very definition of Politics is "dirt".

I hope we can avoid discussing Politics in-here before we start reminding people about their Brother who stole our "Yams" and turned Dasuki to ATM machine! grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 2:28am On Jun 13, 2016
n3xt:

There's N-Power which opened 2 days ago. http://npower.gov.ng

Stop it Brabus!

N-Power is nothing but a scam...... but we cant discuss it into details here.

Just for reference, focusing on N-teacher.
Let em ask you: What type of "on-the-job-performance" do you expect from a University Graduate who will teach (when he is not even a teacher nor trained in the "Art of Teaching" (yes, its an Art!)) for a specific period of two years, to be paid #23K, without any prospect of full employment at the end of the two years, yet his juniors (NCE, Govt employed Teachers) in the same school, earn more than double that amount.... and are supposed to super-intend over him?
It doe snot even "develop" the person.... while wasting two years of the person's life?

Just like Sure-P and other politically-motivated "take-and let-me-be" ideas, this is another scam!
If Govt can only create just 200 jobs in one year, let it do so and give employment to just 300 folks.
The rest can be TRAINED in a VOCATION that adds "value and skills" to what they already have (Furniture, Roofing, Welding, Carpentry, Shoe-making, e.t.c) while the Govt itself ensures that POWER and Small Capital are for such trained individual to "take-off" on their own.

Infact, it is better if Govt just pays these people the #23K...... and allow them to "do something useful with their precious time", instead of asking them to come and teach, something they have zero interest in, but took it up just to get some dough!

Anyway, let us discuss how to reduce the overall weight of columns by putting pipes and hollow bricks inside! shocked shocked

Lastpage!

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:49am On Jun 13, 2016
lastpage:

Oga, why are you feeding us all these 'vibes'.......... or is it not this same U.K?

Plate numbers start with all sorts of alphabet, including letter Q!
All you need do is go to a car-sales website and see the different plate numbers.

BTW: are we deviating into politics, in this "Anything & Everything Building" thread?

Remember that Politics is called "The Dirty Game"........ and NO ONE can show me a Politician, who does not have skeletons!

The very definition of Politics is "dirt".

I hope we can avoid discussing Politics in-here before we start reminding people about their Brother who stole our "Yams" and turned Dasuki to ATM machine! grin grin

Lastpage!
My friend, this is the part of you I DO NOT LIKE.
Y are U so quick to dismiss people if you do not know what a Q plate is why don you ask and let me or Egun explain to you so you can add to you bank of knowledge or U think Im one of dem lot that speak frm their back side?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:50am On Jun 13, 2016
lastpage:

Stop it Brabus!

N-Power is nothing but a scam...... but we cant discuss it into details here.

Just like Sure-P and other politically-motivated "take-and let-me-be" ideas, this is another scam!

Lastpage!

The song "Take my heart and let it be..." comes to mind.

I'm more interested in the http://npower.gov.ng/n-build/

In 2014 RealEstate conference, I actually met a guy who was in partnership with Lagos state to setup a training and skill acquisition center for building artisans and came to advertise to developers, builders and govt that they can get professional workers from the institution. I'll check my library to see if I can get something on the institute.

I can only hope this will be structured the same way but the web link is more than enough to give an insight into the expected end result as it leads no where which might mean no concrete plan or "take and let-me-be" plan.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:56am On Jun 13, 2016
n3xt:

The song "Take my heart and let it be..." comes to mind.

I'm more interested in the http://npower.gov.ng/n-build/

In 2014 RealEstate conference, I actually met a guy who was in partnership with Lagos state to setup a training and skill acquisition center for building artisans and came to advertise to developers, builders and govt that they can get professional workers from the institution. I'll check my library to see if I can get something on the institute.

I can only hope this will be structured the same way but the web link is more than enough to give an insight into the expected end result as it leads no where which might mean no concrete plan or "take and let-me-be" plan.
I recon its a step in the right direction.my only axe is the age restriction.This will compel the already corrupt minds to falsify thier age and defeat the core objectives.Im glad there are no Job guarantee with this. if not who no man will take over.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:04am On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

My friend, this is the part of you I DO NOT LIKE.
Y are U so quick to dismiss people if you do not know what a Q plate is why don you ask and let me or Egun explain to you so you can add to you bank of knowledge or U think Im one of dem lot that speak frm their back side?

"12. 'Q' registration numbers
DVLA issues ‘Q’ registration numbers to vehicles whose age or identity is in doubt.

If this happens, any original vehicle registration number will become invalid and you mustn’t display it again.

To get a ‘Q’ registration number, your vehicle has to pass a type approval process."

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/q-registration-numbers

I've imported quite a bit of classic Mini Coopers from UK so I had to get up to speed with all your Queens way of doing things.

Me: So what year is the Mini Cooper?
Seller: Oh yeah it's a K plate.
Me: WTF? grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:07am On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

I recon its a step in the right direction.my only axe is the age restriction.This will compel the already corrupt minds to falsify thier age and defeat the core objectives.Im glad there are no Job guarantee with this. if not who no man will take over.

Age falsification will soon become a thing of the past in Naija. At least I can say that of the financial and telecommunication sector.
The biometric capture and BVN is a step in right direction.

Just last week, a lady was prevented from making withdrawals from her account just because her bank account information does not tally with her BVN records.

My question is what happens to the overaged citizens. FGN, big question for you!

#Nigeria #N-Power
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:14am On Jun 13, 2016
EgunMogaji:

"12. 'Q' registration numbers
DVLA issues ‘Q’ registration numbers to vehicles whose age or identity is in doubt.

If this happens, any original vehicle registration number will become invalid and you mustn’t display it again.

To get a ‘Q’ registration number, your vehicle has to pass a type approval process."

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/q-registration-numbers

I've imported quite a bit of classic Mini Coopers from UK so I had to get up to speed with all your Queens way of doing things.

Me: So what year is the Mini Cooper?
Seller: Oh yeah it's a K plate.
Me: WTF? grin
Cheers for that.It pays to be clued up with what you into, I work with a company that does the ANPRs for the MET and local councils hence I got to know about Q plates etc,if You aint in that sector U will never know waht a Q plate is.So U into the Minis ehh grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:16am On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

Cheers for that.It pays to be clued up with what you into, I work with a company that does the ANPRs for the MET and local councils hence I got to know about Q plates etc,if You aint in that sector U will never know waht a Q plate is. So U into the Minis ehh grin grin

Heavily, Sir Alec Ignosis is a genius.

I was actually featured on the front page of Mini Magazine a while back with my 1967 Austin Mini Moke.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:18am On Jun 13, 2016
n3xt:

Age falsification will soon become a thing of the past in Naija. At least I can say that of the financial and telecommunication sector.
The biometric capture and BVN is a step in right direction.

Just last week, a lady was prevented from making withdrawals from her account just because her bank account information does not tally with her BVN records.

My question is what happens to the overaged citizens. FGN, big question for you!

#Nigeria #N-Power
well I hope so .I do soo hope there would soon be no need to falsify age.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:21am On Jun 13, 2016
lastpage:

Anyway, let us discuss how to reduce the overall weight of columns by putting pipes and hollow bricks inside! shocked shocked

Lastpage!

I'll defer to the Pros in the house. Good time to learn the right way to do it.

Meanwhile, I did pipe in columns before. Though, I ensured good concrete cover of at least 2" on 100mm pipes and more on 75mm drain pipes. The columns were wider and are supplemental columns.

I found this method easier and cleaner than the traditional break wall/break beam to lay pipe approach.

I don't know if it's wrong thing to do.

I've also done pipe in beam to beat the traditional laying of pipes in slab for bikes that have high headroom and are having POP, or suspended ceiling covering. Cable trays can be installed in the void space to take care of cables and everything else. Cheaper and easier to maintain.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:27am On Jun 13, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Heavily, Sir Alec Ignosis is a genius.

I was actually featured on the front page of Mini Magazine a while back with my 1967 Austin Mini Moke.
Cool stuff, that mini is classic, The british got a lot in Automobile than most people fail to appreciate,they got soo much Engineering history, I once got lost in Essex and stumbled to a sign then made me stop for a while and reflect, it was the village the humble radio was invented.it was Chelmsford
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:31am On Jun 13, 2016
n3xt:

I'll defer to the Pros in the house. Good time to learn the right way to do it.

Meanwhile, I did pipe in columns before. Though, I ensured good concrete cover of at least 2" on 100mm pipes and more on 75mm drain pipes. The columns were wider and are supplemental columns.

I found this method easier and cleaner than the traditional break wall/break beam to lay pipe approach.

I don't know if it's wrong thing to do.

I've also done pipe in beam to beat the traditional laying of pipes in slab for bikes that have high headroom and are having POP, or suspended ceiling covering. Cable trays can be installed in the void space to take care of cables and everything else. Cheaper and easier to maintain.
Is this practice safe?I find the internal ducting of pipes a bit 2much,if the joints in these ducted pipes fails rectifying them means cracking the walls right?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:39am On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

Is this practice safe?I find the internal ducting of pipes a bit 2much,if the joints in these ducted pipes fails rectifying them means cracking the walls right?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:56am On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

Cool stuff, that mini is classic, The british got a lot in Automobile than most people fail to appreciate,they got soo much Engineering history, I once got lost in Essex and stumbled to a sign then made me stop for a while and reflect, it was the village the humble radio was invented.it was Chelmsford

I don't feel complete unless I have a classic little British car in the garage. Hence why I had to have a garage built in my retirement compound.

The Nigerian that rescues British cars in America wink

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:56am On Jun 13, 2016
[quote author=n3xt post=46521581][/quote]
erm this is meant to be
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:58am On Jun 13, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I don't feel complete unless I have a classic little British car in the garage. Hence why I had to have a garage built in my retirement compound.

grin grin I cant spot the #37, but the Mini is not so Mini nowadays grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:01am On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

grin grin I cant spot the #37, but the Mini is not so Mini nowadays grin

How can they call those contraptions Minis angry

Yeah but the #37 is the dogs bollocks alright grin Paddy Hopkirk is one of my childhood heroes.

I have a clubmate that did a replica, pretty good too with all the expensive rally clocks on the inside. You know some of those rally clocks are $15k?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:13am On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

erm this is meant to be

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:24am On Jun 13, 2016
[quote author=n3xt post=46521732][/quote]
Ok I have seen these,they are slabs and the holes are to reduce weight, I was on about conduit piping and if that practice is safe,,I have seen most builders abroad not using this system, the tend to build in a ways they can easy reach these pipes and electricals.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:43am On Jun 13, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Well said.
Not a hero but just another opportunistic politician.

True... and guess who stopped him (Awo) from becoming the President.... same person they nullified his election.. Karma is a.....
My sympathy doesn't go so far...

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:49am On Jun 13, 2016
mufutau55:

True... and guess who stopped him from becoming the President.... same person they nullified his election.. Karma is a.....
My sympathy doesn't go so far...

Hajji M.
True lipsrsealed
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:53am On Jun 13, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Go I love the Mini-Moke or what? Very much, one of my best favorite. No more in the making, right?

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:57am On Jun 13, 2016
mufutau55:

Go I love the Mini-Moke or what? Very much, one of my best favorite. No more in the making, right?

Hajji M.
I think you can get the Q plated ones,I'm not entirely sure.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:02am On Jun 13, 2016
erico2k2:

I think you can get the Q plated ones,I'm not entirely sure.

Please forward me info, if you come across it... or may EgunMan will dig something out.
Fell in love with them for my short duration in Seychelles.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:03am On Jun 13, 2016
[quote author=n3xt post=46521732][/quote]
I wonder when we would start seeing stuff like these in our local building sites, even if its in shorter leghnt

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:05am On Jun 13, 2016
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

The Chinese are doing some knock offs but they are very much inferior.

The Brits stopped production in 1968 (mine was a 67), the Aussies stopped in 1981 and the Portugese in 1984.

(1) (2) (3) ... (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) ... (3688) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ArcToyin(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.