Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,598 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:46 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3211) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4377445 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3208) (3209) (3210) (3211) (3212) (3213) (3214) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Inception(m): 2:21pm On Nov 13, 2022
Dollar hype was shortlived embarassed

Dollar back to 760 angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 3:16pm On Nov 13, 2022
Inception:

Dollar back to 760 angry
We ain't pleased yet.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 3:40pm On Nov 13, 2022
Inception:

Dollar back to 760 angry
lt is called, the more you look, the less you see, it is called Oluwole, kulikuli and burukutu economic policies of the Zombie in Aso Rock and his GANG of 40 Thieves grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 3:49pm On Nov 13, 2022
Inception:

Dollar back to 760 angry

Seems so . Will be clearer tomorrow
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ulforex: 4:06pm On Nov 13, 2022
Inception:

Dollar back to 760 angry

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 5:12pm On Nov 13, 2022
walexyll:
I see pricing inconsistencies here. I understand some fixed cost go into making individual window. However, where we have 116% difference in prices quoted/Square metre, I suspect some arbitrary pricing (see attached analysis). I may be missing something. It will be good if we have more insight into this product pricing

My observations, there is a pattern from the figures. The more surface area, the lesser price. Like most goods in the market, someone buying in bulk would always get it for less.
This is just my opinion, going by the pattern from the data presented.
You might want to rearrange the column of surface area in the table presented, in ascending or descending order to notice the consistency.

Moreover, it seems smaller windows dey waste materials. The same length of materials that would have been used to do a longer windows is cut into pieces with more off cuts, to produce those small ones.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kalu61(m): 5:24pm On Nov 13, 2022
FEGEITOK:
The pictures attached show that tiling a house does not solve the capillary action issue.

Can you see the water ingress? and the parts unaffected by the water ingress?

In one case water ingress reaches 80cm and on another wall, it reaches 120cm

Pictures taken from two different walls

Slimszy

Coiner
Fighting capillary action states from day one;nature of the soil and water level.

From DPC membrane, DPC height to thickness of casting to tiling. Tilling is the most last resort to keep the wall neat and the room dry.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nero2424: 5:54pm On Nov 13, 2022
rotecch77:
More pics of the external work.
Thanks to our cool headed cleint, he is always comes to see the amazing work that is going on

It looks beautiful, your cool headed client will definitely love this. Kudos!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexyll(m): 6:22pm On Nov 13, 2022
sonnie10:

My observations, there is a pattern from the figures. The more surface area, the lesser price. Like most goods in the market, someone buying in bulk would always get it for less.
This is just my opinion, going by the pattern from the data presented.
You might want to rearrange the column of surface area in the table presented, in ascending or descending order to notice the consistency.

Moreover, it seems smaller windows dey waste materials. The same length of materials that would have been used to do a longer windows is cut into pieces with more off cuts, to produce those small ones.

I already mentioned your observation that I understand that there is an element of fixed cost that goes into the costing. But having a pricing variance of 116% for the same product looks "somehow" to me. It is just like you buying the big Milo 400g refill pack for N2,000 (that is N5/gram of milo) and you are asked to buy the 20g milo sachet for N216 ( that is N10.8/g of milo).
PS: I have re-arranged as you suggested and attached

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 8:15pm On Nov 13, 2022
Job Done!!
Another Successful Roofing Project Completed
Site Location: Ado Ekiti State
Roof Design : Milano Design
Colour: Chocolate

https://youtube.com/shorts/YyOawMyAs08?feature=share

To get the Cost that Roofed this Building Call/WhatsApp 08085310359

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abiola365: 8:17pm On Nov 13, 2022
Pls house, I need cement container to place on a site
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 8:19pm On Nov 13, 2022
walexyll:

I already mentioned your observation that I understand that there is an element of fixed cost that goes into the costing. But having a pricing variance of 116% for the same product looks "somehow" to me. It is just like you buying the big Milo 400g refill pack for N2,000 (that is N5/gram of milo) and you are asked to buy the 20g milo sachet for N216 ( that is N10.8/g of milo).
PS: I have re-arranged as you suggested and attached

Think causation. Real world events are not always linear. This is why in statistics, it is made clear that correlation does not imply causation. The inability to legitimately deduce a causation and effect relationship between two events or variables solely on the basis of an observed association or correlation between them should not come as a surprise. Correlation is a relationship between two variables, when one variable changes, the other variable also changes but causation is when there is a real-world explanation for why this is logically happening; it implies a cause and effect.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:31pm On Nov 13, 2022
Nero2424:

It looks beautiful, your cool headed client will definitely love this. Kudos!

Thanks chief I really appreciated sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexyll(m): 9:11pm On Nov 13, 2022
sonnie10:

Think causation. Real world events are not always linear. This is why in statistics, it is made clear that correlation does not imply causation. The inability to legitimately deduce a causation and effect relationship between two events or variables solely on the basis of an observed association or correlation between them should not come as a surprise. Correlation is a relationship between two variables, when one variable changes, the other variable also changes but causation is when there is a real-world explanation for why this is logically happening; it implies a cause and effect.

Oga mi, I have done a lot of product costing in my career and I still struggle to understand this particular costing. For a simple product like this, what goes into product costing? Your BOM (direct materials), direct OH (energy cost, labour cost, machine hour RM & dep, etc) and your fixed OH. I still find it hard to make sense of the variation. So, this is not a mater of causation vs correlation. For me, I am leaning towards some arbitrariness rather than some thoughts going towards the pricing. It has to just make sense!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2022
walexyll:

Oga mi, I have done a lot of product costing in my career and I still struggle to understand this particular costing. For a simple product like this, what goes into product costing? Your BOM (direct materials), direct OH (energy cost, labour cost, machine hour RM & dep, etc) and your fixed OH. I still find it hard to make sense of the variation. So, this is not a mater of causation vs correlation. For me, I am leaning towards some arbitrariness rather than some thoughts going towards the pricing. It has to just make sense!

Why is a wall clock (which is bigger) cheaper than a wrist watch (which is smaller) ?

Sometimes, things are not cheaper by the dozen due to:

#Sunk in cost
#production intricacies
#The amount of time spent due to the intricacies
#Unit cost
#Marginal cost

The pricing may not be arbitrary, could be as a result of the intricacies involved in the sourcing of the materials and production of smaller units.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2022
kalu61:

Fighting capillary action states from day one;nature of the soil and water level.

From DPC membrane, DPC height to thickness of casting to tiling. Tilling is the most last resort to keep the wall neat and the room dry.

Coiner
Slimszy
KolaShangOne

Picture 1 shows the depth of the gravel base as well as the size of the concrete footing. You can also see that we scraped the foundation until we got to the compacted laterite

Picture 2 shows what was immediately below the destroyed thin concrete or shall I say cement floor, a mix of sharp sand and gravel and boulders (which are missing in this picture though)

Picture 3 shows the boulders that formed part of the foundation immediately above the compacted laterite

Picture 4 shows a cross-section of the compacted laterite (the bags you see are bags of gravel that will be washed before being used to form a gravel base on top of the compacted laterite before a slab will be poured. However, there will be a little more scrapping until there is no more sharp sand on top of the laterite before the gravel base will be made

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 11:25pm On Nov 13, 2022
walexyll:

Do you think its possible to price whole house windows per total square meters? That is, total area multiply by unit cost. If that is the case, which value do you think is feasible, the min, median or max price? Clients would say the min price (which is just wishes), while vendors would say the max price ( human nature of greed).
The truth is whatever median price obtained, might not cut it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexyll(m): 11:29pm On Nov 13, 2022
diordaves:

Why is a wall clock (which is bigger) cheaper than a wrist watch (which is smaller) ?

Sometimes, things are not cheaper by the dozen due to:

#Sunk in cost
#production intricacies
#The amount of time spent due to the intricacies
#Unit cost
#Marginal cost

The pricing may not be arbitrary, could be as a result of the intricacies involved in the sourcing of the materials and production of smaller units.
Good insight, however, the comparison of wall clock and wrist watches might not be quite absolute. Obviously, different BOM, the engine version of wristwatches are miniatured, hence, more labour time. As I earlier mentioned, I do not expect the smaller windows to be cheaper than the larger ones, only that the 116% variance looks quite large and I STILL struggle to make sense out of it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexyll(m): 11:34pm On Nov 13, 2022
sonnie10:

Do you think its possible to price whole house windows per total square meters? That is, total area multiply by unit cost. If that is the case, which value do you think is feasible, the min, median or max price? Clients would say the min price (which as just wishes) while vendors would say the max price ( human nature of greed).
The truth is whatever median price obtained might not cut it.
I am actually at the window level of my build and my approach is to get the materials myself and then, I pay for labour based on estimated time to complete the job. All the people I spoke with have not taken this approach before, they had all paid for the window as a complete unit. So, I think it is worth experimenting.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 12:52am On Nov 14, 2022
walexyll:

I am actually at the window level of my build and my approach is to get the materials myself and then, I pay for labour based on estimated time to complete the job. All the people I spoke with have not taken this approach before, they had all paid for the window as a complete unit. So, I think it is worth experimenting.

This approach is tricky for someone who is not versed in that area of business.
Some material could be purchased more than actually needed, resulting in waste.
Another thing is that they could divert some materials if you are not there to monitor.
Labor cost could be on the high side since there is no other way to "chop the client."
As a one off customer, the cost of purchasing those material would be higher than what a vendor would normally get. This would affect the total cost
How do you know the quality you are buying?
Other logistics like transportation which a vendor might take care of with his vehicle, would add to the total cost.

It all depends on the individuals involved (client and vendor). Good luck on your project

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abbeyb1ack: 6:06am On Nov 14, 2022
Nice approach but be ready to spend more sir
Even DEVELOPER as strict as they are....they don't purchase aluminium materials themselves unlike every other materials

That approach dosnt worth
My opinion thou

walexyll:

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adigun7(m): 6:40am On Nov 14, 2022
For quality roofing products and perfect installation we are a call/chat away ,09035076732,08078696012 esgeetechconcepts@gmail.com

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 8:24am On Nov 14, 2022
walexyll:

Your approach makes a lot of sense.

Just last week, even though he was invited to the site, and took measurements, an artisan failed to buy enough materials for the work he was to do. Now, I have to go back to buy enough materials to ensure that the work is done properly.

My point is, it is not enough to hire an artisan, it is good to get involved.

The extent of involvement depends on the client and his knowledge of the field and or resources.

For this to work, you may need to consult with another vendor not for the purpose of hiring him to do the work, but for the purpose of verification of information submitted by other vendors especially if this is a highly technical field

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 11:09am On Nov 14, 2022
We are closer to your doorstep with just a WhatsApp DM.

GET VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Zikson: 11:42am On Nov 14, 2022
Please I'm looking for a certified Building engineer who can supervise a project in Lugbe Abuja. please you must be living in Abuja. Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Akosmusdecor: 11:47am On Nov 14, 2022
We ar set to make ur kitchen to a modern standard

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by damsamkoko(m): 11:55am On Nov 14, 2022
damsamkoko:
Hello guys, I’m currently working on a personal project. (3 bedroom duplex). I’m ijebu, Ogun state. I gave a senior colleague at my former work place my Design’s to help me process approval and one way or the other he kept promising postponing things. Due to rapid increase in cost of materials, I started the project without approval done yet. Now I have gotten to decking stage and still nothing with the approval. so I had to pause to make sure the approval is done before I continue, even though I would have to pay fine now that I’ve started. The process is going fine with the approval and I hope to continue the project next month. You can see the plan and level where the project is at. I would have brought this up here earlier but I was only searching for some solutions when I got to know about naira land and this thread seems perfect as I can easily get recommendations for professionals to use at every part of the construction. Any ideas and critics are welcomed as no one knows it all. I would love to see your views. Also I would like reviews on the roof design I intend using. I have several questions which I would ask accordingly as the project moves forward.

Update on this project guys, I got the approval for this project now we are working on the decking and I’m having issues with the quote I got from the welder for a 100sqm decking please y’all should help me cross check the quotation. The plan is attached. Note that the calculation is including the beams too.

Location is Ogun state.
Thanks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Inception(m): 12:44pm On Nov 14, 2022
Akosmusdecor:
We ar set to make ur kitchen to a modern standard
shocked
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 12:54pm On Nov 14, 2022
Zikson:
Please I'm looking for a certified Building engineer who can supervise a project in Lugbe Abuja. please you must be living in Abuja. Thanks.

Call 0802 five eight five 9471.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by edward2018(m): 1:25pm On Nov 14, 2022
Zikson:

Chat Tunward project consult. WhatsApp:: +2347031571105
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:00pm On Nov 14, 2022
Inception:

Dollar back to 760 angry
E dey go up already this morning
wait till thursday
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 2:04pm On Nov 14, 2022
Zikson:

You can contact us for your Mechanical(HVAC) Electrical and Piping(Plumbing) design and installation

Our contacts are:
Whatsapp/Call 08033643191,

You can also check our thread with the link below.

CABLES
https://www.nairaland.com/2326721/nigerchin-kabelmetal-coleman-cables/37

MEP INSTALLATION
https://www.nairaland.com/1233943/contact-us-electrical-mechanical-plumbing/40

MEP DESIGN
https://www.nairaland.com/1804476/complete-package-design-drawing-mechanical/11

DISTRIBUTION BOARD
SALES, INSTALLATION, TERMINATION AND CABLE MANAGEMENT
https://www.nairaland.com/2668061/abb-distribution-board-schneider-distribution/10

https://www.nairaland.com/6980507/distribution-boards-final-sub-circuit

(1) (2) (3) ... (3208) (3209) (3210) (3211) (3212) (3213) (3214) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Prinzton(m), Godisgreatest1 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.