Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,711 members, 7,820,491 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3328) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4403550 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3325) (3326) (3327) (3328) (3329) (3330) (3331) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:47pm On Feb 11, 2023
EgunMogaji2:

The in thing now is riding from London to Lagos. We have a gentleman arriving from London on his bike today.

Another guy? One did so few months ago.
I guess everyone is trying to emulate Ajala.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 6:05pm On Feb 11, 2023
We are available

Real pictures of what we do …

Pop & wall screeding

WhatsApp

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:46pm On Feb 11, 2023
redgem:
Finishing consumes more funds 😭😭😭

External piping is ongoing and some bathroom fittings..

Please after tiling, what comes next?

Skimming or wardrobes?

Do I need to screed the ceiling?

For the exterior walls Graffitex doesn't need screeding right? @ Gbadexy
Yes ma'am, you don't need screeding for graffitex.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 7:49pm On Feb 11, 2023
gbadexy:

Yes ma'am, you don't need screeding for graffitex.

Okay Sir...will contact you when it's time...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:01pm On Feb 11, 2023
redgem:

Okay Sir...will contact you when it's time...
Alright ma'am

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 8:51pm On Feb 11, 2023
Biztech05:

The pictures here’s my work.

https://www.nairaland.com/7067923/ikorodu-construction-update

To your Question sir, avoiding DPC in building construction is nt good enough.

Atleast like the one in the quoted picture should be done because that’s proper Dpc .
If one can’t afford oversight floor.

The one in reference picture is done to manage the available fund to raise up the block work then later do the normal flooring.

Instead of oversight floor to exhaust all the cash at hand guess you understand unto KOBO KOBO.😂
The problem with this is the joint where the DPC would meet with walls. Those capillary joints are the real culprit in water logged areas.
They are microscopic and as such, the gradient pressure potential difference is highly exponential.
The best flooring is supposed to be one continuous piece all through.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 9:40pm On Feb 11, 2023
sonnie10:

The problem with this is the joint where the DPC would meet with walls. Those capillary joints are the real culprit in water logged areas.
They are microscopic and as such, the gradient pressure potential difference is highly exponential.
But even when the concrete is continuous, if a DPM (nylon) isn't placed underneath, the continuous concrete alone may not be enough to prevent capillary action na.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 10:07pm On Feb 11, 2023
Rany4all:
But even when the concrete is continuous, if a DPM (nylon) isn't placed underneath, the continuous concrete alone may not be enough to prevent capillary action na.

Concrete looks solid but is actually full of microscopic holes

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 10:10pm On Feb 11, 2023
sonnie10:

I guess that method of building provides false comfort.

Although I understand the motivation.

What is worth doing is worth doing well.

But how does one implement that and yet build a house with limited funds, I guess that is the compromise.

However, there should be full disclosure to the potential client of the implication of not doing a continous concrete wall with DPM.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 10:16pm On Feb 11, 2023
FEGEITOK:

Concrete looks solid but is actually full of microscopic holes
Exactly, the concrete by itself isn't water proof, even when it's continuous.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 10:16pm On Feb 11, 2023
MrOkenwa:
I politely took permission from one of the riders before taking these pictures. Make I no colet.

Biztech05:

The pictures here’s my work.

https://www.nairaland.com/7067923/ikorodu-construction-update

Nice to see the issue being made of proper attribution.

If someone posts a picture, a picture lifted off the internet and does not make reference to the fact that it was lifted, and does not make reference to the fact that the work is not his own.

In academic circles, that is in very bad taste.

What of in business circles, what if it gives the impression to those who don't do their research that the work isn't the posters?

Should such people be called out on this forum?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by destiro(m): 10:44pm On Feb 11, 2023
Please can I see the final outlook of this project, if you have finished it
ollykay619:
Good day everyone, below is the labour cost and rough estimate of material for a four bedroom bungalow (attached is the floor plan) given to me.

LABOUR
Setting out # 20,000
Digging of foundation 70,000
Casting of foundation # 40,000
Filling of foundation # 70,000
Casting of slabs # 80,000
Setting of Block # 270,000
Casting of lintel # 30,000

MATERIALS:
4500 pieces of Block
10 load of Gravel
9 load of Sand
220 bag of cement

I am mostly concern about the labour cost because I would be on-site to monitor the use of materials.

Please is the Labour cost fair? Or High?

Location is Ibadan
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Coiner: 11:41pm On Feb 11, 2023
Rany4all:

My engineer did the german floor without that DPM even though we had it at site. Claimed that his workers didn't see it. I was worried but he ASSURED me that there won't be any capillary action due to the nature of the soil in the area and the thickness of the Dpc and some other things I can't remember.

Pls from your experience how true is this?
The building is at the finishing stage now. Is there anything else that can be done in the event that the engineer is wrong?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 12:12am On Feb 12, 2023
Coiner:

My engineer did the german floor without that DPM even though we had it at site. Claimed that his workers didn't see it. I was worried but he ASSURED me that there won't be any capillary action due to the nature of the soil in the area and the thickness of the Dpc and some other things I can't remember.

The building is at the finishing stage now. Is there anything else that can be done in the event that the engineer is wrong?

Unfortunately, I'm very far from being an expert in the building space, hence I may not be the right person to ask this question.

@FEGEITOK seems to be quite knowledgeable in 'capillary action' and the likes, so you might want to redirect your question Sir.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 1:57am On Feb 12, 2023
Rany4all:
True. Except in very dry land (the whole of Lagos excluded).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 5:52am On Feb 12, 2023
Coiner:

I am sorry that he did that to you.

This is why I educate myself on anything and everything that I contract someone to do for me. And engage the vendor to find out how solid he is in what he claims to be an expert in. No insult to you, Sir.

Even though it is said that there are areas that are so dry that one does not need DPM, I don't buy that.

I feel that to be on the safe side, please and please install all possible countermeasures.

Is this house a multi-floor building or a bungalow?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Coiner: 5:59am On Feb 12, 2023
FEGEITOK:

I am sorry that he did that to you.

This is why I educate myself on anything and everything that I contract someone to do for me. And engage the vendor to find out how solid he is in what he claims to be an expert in. No insult to you, Sir.

Even though it is said that there are areas that are so dry that one does not need DPM, I don't buy that.

I feel that to be on the safe side, please and please install all possible countermeasures.

Is this house a multi-floor building or a bungalow?

Bungalow
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 6:15am On Feb 12, 2023
Coiner:

Bungalow

Similar question was asked on December 2022.

Here was the question

Inception:

You will always know an expert when they speak. You know your onions Engr. Excellent submission on the matter.

However I would like to ask, in the event , foundation was properly done ( in this case, strip and pad) ,but DPM was omitted and capillary action has commenced in some areas of building after 5 years, is there anything that can be done to remedy the situation? I would like to hear from you.

Here was the answer:

Aforxzy:

Yes the situation can be remedied but you need to state where exactly the dampness occurs. Is it on the wall or the floor?

If on the walls then, the lower portion of the walls will have be worked on and a hydro-seal applied before making good.

However if it is on the floor , you can either break the existing floor, place the dpm and reconstruct.
Or just cast additional floor on the existing floor after placing the dpm. Water proofing cement should be used during the rework.

Here was my response to that answer:

FEGEITOK:

I like what you wrote. When I rebuilt my house. I excavated the improperly built foundation then created a concrete footing, and placed DPM beneath the footing.

After curing the concrete, I demolished the walls and rebuilt the walls on the new concrete footing.

Then poured a new foundation inside the concrete footing. I also applied DPM underneath this new concrete slab.

Any negative implications to this approach?

The idea was to correct the lack of DPM without bringing down the whole house.

My advice? Fix this now. Don't wait.

Second advice, don't disturb the existing floor, make another floor atop it. As long as you place a DPM, I personally placed doubled DPM and the height of the new floor is at least 4 inches long, you will be good.

When water fights, unless you were well prepared, water will win.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KIDfurniture(m): 6:28am On Feb 12, 2023
Hope your bricklayers are not Ibadan people ? You can’t monitor them oh! You won’t even understand how they would steal and over ur your materials. I always pity project owners. What area in Ibadan ? If it’s close

destiro:
Please can I see the final outlook of this project, if you have finished it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KIDfurniture(m): 6:30am On Feb 12, 2023
Congrats sir! Worry less about capillary action. Since u re almost done . Just ensure u screed ur building with custom made screeding material only. Forget about all the screeding products in the market. We will produce the highest quality for ur building. Congrats once again .

Coiner:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olumighty123(m): 7:39am On Feb 12, 2023
redgem:
Finishing consumes more funds 😭😭😭

External piping is ongoing and some bathroom fittings..

Please after tiling, what comes next?

Skimming or wardrobes?

Do I need to screed the ceiling?

For the exterior walls Graffitex doesn't need screeding right? @ Gbadexy

You don't update us with pictures grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 7:54am On Feb 12, 2023
Olumighty123:

You don't update us with pictures grin

I hardly see people post pictures here...but I do update sometimes with pictures then delete after a while..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:16am On Feb 12, 2023
mufutau55:

Another guy? One did so few months ago.
I guess everyone is trying to emulate Ajala.

Hajji M.

I think he arrived in Ibadan yesterday or at least Lagos.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by myorh: 11:22am On Feb 12, 2023
I recently hired @Bolu1986 to handle the POP work for my building project and I am beyond impressed with the quality of work he has delivered. From start to finish, Bolu was professional, reliable, and dedicated to ensuring that the job was done to the highest standards.

His attention to detail was impressive, and he took the time to understand my vision for the project and delivered results that exceeded my expectations. The work was completed on time and within budget, and I was constantly updated on the progress of the job.

I would highly recommend Bolu to anyone looking for a skilled and reliable artisan. If you're looking for quality work, Bolu is your guy!

Thank you, Bolu, for a job well done!

16 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 11:34am On Feb 12, 2023
Hello great people, kindly use this link to watch a complete documentary on this project from day one to roofing. You can watch it on our YouTube channel too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubSepDPjbh8
Kindly like, share, comment and subscribe to our YouTube channel for more updates on this project.

Follow this link to catch up with the project activities on a daily.
https://www.nairaland.com/7139168/owerri-project-4-duplex-4

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KIDfurniture(m): 11:57am On Feb 12, 2023
Even you don’t post pictures anymore. What is going on sef ? I respect my big bros egunmogaji

redgem:

I hardly see people post pictures here...but I do update sometimes with pictures then delete after a while..

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uwemjack(m): 12:03pm On Feb 12, 2023
EgunMogaji2:

I think he arrived in Ibadan yesterday or at least Lagos.
Did he document on social media? Kindly share his social

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 12:11pm On Feb 12, 2023
myorh:
I recently hired @Bolu1986 to handle the POP work for my building project and I am beyond impressed with the quality of work he has delivered. From start to finish, Bolu was professional, reliable, and dedicated to ensuring that the job was done to the highest standards.

His attention to detail was impressive, and he took the time to understand my vision for the project and delivered results that exceeded my expectations. The work was completed on time and within budget, and I was constantly updated on the progress of the job.

I would highly recommend Bolu to anyone looking for a skilled and reliable artisan. If you're looking for quality work, Bolu is your guy!

Thank you, Bolu, for a job well done!

Thank you very much for given us the chance to work for you…. We really appreciate it sir.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by praise010(m): 12:50pm On Feb 12, 2023
Please who has contact of reputable company that sell bricks in Lagos?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 1:13pm On Feb 12, 2023
Gud afternoon here, and happy Wonderful Sunday from (ADEDWARD )

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 1:15pm On Feb 12, 2023
Dennis3D:
Hello great people, kindly use this link to watch a complete documentary on this project from day one to roofing. You can watch it on our YouTube channel too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubSepDPjbh8
Kindly like, share, comment and subscribe to our YouTube channel for more updates on this project.

Follow this link to catch up with the project activities on a daily.
https://www.nairaland.com/7139168/owerri-project-4-duplex-4
Alright bross, welldone

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:58pm On Feb 12, 2023
uwemjack:

Did he document on social media? Kindly share his social

I’m not sure he did. We followed him on my okada WhatsApp group since his destination is here in Ibadan.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3325) (3326) (3327) (3328) (3329) (3330) (3331) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: KingRabota, pharmadek, erico2k2(m), valencia2012(m), RockOfAgesAlumi(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.