Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,917 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3330) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4391962 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3327) (3328) (3329) (3330) (3331) (3332) (3333) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 6:35am On Feb 13, 2023
Vidor:
Thank you, please can you recommend any?

Qsfemi
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 6:38am On Feb 13, 2023
izzieman:
I am looking for someone who can make me a Materials List based on a building plan that I have. Please contact me if you are able to.

Qsfemi can do that.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 7:03am On Feb 13, 2023
sethtsadopp:
Anyone, or recommendation preferably in Abuja into these fluted wall panels (Cladding panel) at affordable rate?
Below is the design I want to do.

Here is a picture from an old project. Created using Hdf boards. Fluted panel are easy to install & faster, have used it on various projects, unfortunately lost most of my data (pics & files). FLUTED PANEL is more expensive to use though.
I can definitely replicate your design. Am based in lagos, but can work anywhere.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexProjects(m): 7:04am On Feb 13, 2023
A beautiful new week to us all.

Call/Whatsapp - 09073657369

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 7:06am On Feb 13, 2023
Gigaset:
Talking of "Dampness" I had to go this route to protect the external walls from dampness I hope this will work
For it to work, please try to cover the whole floor and not just the walls.
I don’t think there is need to cover the sides of the wall below your DPC level
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 7:16am On Feb 13, 2023
redgem:
Finishing consumes more funds 😭😭😭

External piping is ongoing and some bathroom fittings..

Please after tiling, what comes next?

Skimming or wardrobes?

Do I need to screed the ceiling?

For the exterior walls Graffitex doesn't need screeding right? @ Gbadexy

Not necessary to screed your ceiling, Save cost. A good painting will complete the job.

Graffitex doesn't need screeding.

Goodluck on your project, Ma'am.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 7:48am On Feb 13, 2023
GloriousGbola:

also this

Oops! Am quite surprised by the pic. Just Civil engineers building. They obviously did a lot differently.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GloriousGbola: 7:56am On Feb 13, 2023
hamtabfawaz:

Oops! Am quite surprised by the pic. Just Civil engineers building. They obviously did a lot differently.

They ENSURED the building was built to code.

Just as any professionals here would ensure standards are followed even exceeded on their own build/installation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 7:58am On Feb 13, 2023
Amosaloud:

Nigeria is not an earthquake prone country. I don't think our standard buildings are supposed to be earthquake proof. You can only be liable if it is the law that all buildings are earthquake proof. Large parts of Turkey are earthquake prone areas and it is mandatory that houses are built to particular specifications to withstand as much as possible (nothing is 100% full proof) these devastating forces.

Just imagine, if we build houses that are earthquake proof, imagine how solid the structure would stand & how it can withstand harsh conditions. You know, It's not a bad idea to have an earthquake proof house in Nigeria.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:06am On Feb 13, 2023
While we're discussing "building to code" how many clients are willing to pay for it? Most times, it's the clients that cut corners and not the engineers.

Having said that, God rest their souls

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Tiztonio(m): 8:09am On Feb 13, 2023
Please help me cross examine this quotation for aluminium window

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Coiner: 8:30am On Feb 13, 2023
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 8:37am On Feb 13, 2023
Tiztonio:
Please help me cross examine this quotation for aluminium window
it's little on high prices,
Which kind of nets they want to use for u,?
Sliding nets or outside nets,?
And thickness of the glasses, 4mm or 5mm
And finally ask about the material he is planning to use thanks u,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 8:53am On Feb 13, 2023
michlins:
While we're discussing "building to code" how many clients are willing to pay for it? Most times, it's the clients that cut corners and not the engineers.

Having said that, God rest their souls

Yes you are right boss, There is a client that i worked for in the past, we gave him quote for cables and he said the prices are too high. He said i should look for alternative that are far cheaper. I told most of the Nigeria cables are quality copper and there is no one that can be half of price given to him. He went to the market by himself and bought a copper coated cables with 70% iron and 30% copper.

We tested all the cables with magnet and they all magnetized. I told him the implications.

Could not continue with project with him because all the issues will still come to me if i continue with him.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 10:01am On Feb 13, 2023
topsy23:

Yes you are right boss, There is a client that i worked for in the past, we gave him quote for cables and he said the prices are too high. He said i should look for alternative that are far cheaper. I told most of the Nigeria cables are quality copper and there is no one that can be half of price given to him. He went to the market by himself and bought a copper coated cables with 70% iron and 30% copper.

We tested all the cables with magnet and they all magnetized. I told him the implications.

Could not continue with project with him because all the issues will still come to me if i continue with him.
my current apartment is suffering what you just described. The light is usually very low and then there's burst of very high currents. I just tire. They said the wires used were of low quality
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Tiztonio(m): 10:30am On Feb 13, 2023
Adedward:
it's little on high prices,
Which kind of nets they want to use for u,?
Sliding nets or outside nets,?
And thickness of the glasses, 4mm or 5mm
And finally ask about the material he is planning to use thanks u,
Outside net sir…4mm glass
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 10:43am On Feb 13, 2023
https://www.nairaland.com/6609728/osinachiadima-global-enterprise-deal-kinds we are the people you can trust to get quality materials from
Such as
Floor tiles
Wall tile
Granite
W/c
Doors
Kitchen sinks
Tap
Shower
Etc
With good price
We do deliver before payment as well within Lagos etc
Email osinachicolins20@gmail.com
07087953771 or 09085212244

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 10:47am On Feb 13, 2023
Coiner:

Even houses with the DPM? What could be the reason for that in the region.

The pictures below are the current state of a friends property. In and out has been affected as shown. A duplex. Any remedy to this at this stage?

Also notice the belt and tiles around the base didn't seem to have much cushion effect.

I doubt that this house had DPM.

If it had, then I doubt it was properly installed.

In all the videos I have watched how the whites lay DPM, joints are tied to each other with a very special construction adhesive tape. Since I did not have that and my search locally did not yield anything and I did not have the time to wait for imports, I did overlaps of over 1 foot at each supposed joint.

In addition to DPM, you need several layers of defense in my case that meant installing DPM and a 4-inch thick layer of washed gravel above the compacted laterite.

The other issue which is common practice locally but which research has proven to be wrong is that it is bad practice to lay a concrete slap directly on red compacted soil, but nairaland is full of such building practices. Red soil can hold water even more than ordinary sharp sand and loamy soil.

Please ask your friend to take a closer picture, what kind of soil is underneath those interlocks?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:53am On Feb 13, 2023
michlins:
my current apartment is suffering what you just described. The light is usually very low and then there's burst of very high currents. I just tire. They said the wires used were of low quality

I have visited a building before. They have similar issue you mentioned. I told them that if they want a total revamp we will need to break walls, some cables had already melted in the walls and not easy pull out.

The only option we have is to break some walls, do a fresh piping, pull a fresh cables and do cable management within the distribution boards and consumer units since they want everything to be conceal.

See the picture below

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 11:07am On Feb 13, 2023
Coiner, to solve this issue, we have to consider both capillary action and drainage.

I have attached the science behind it

if the soil around the house ( the duplex, in this case, holds water), then you can bet, that water is going to end up in the walls, and you will see all those aftereffects)

So the goal is to ensure that the ground around the house does not hold water. The same goes for the ground under the house.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 11:08am On Feb 13, 2023
part 2 of 2 - Capillary action and drainage

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 11:24am On Feb 13, 2023
Tiztonio:

Outside net sir…4mm glass
it's on high side,o
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 12:03pm On Feb 13, 2023
topsy23:

I have visited a building before. They have similar issue you mentioned. I told them that if they want a total revamp we will need to break walls, some cables had already melted in the walls and not easy pull out.

The only option we have is to break some walls, do a fresh piping, pull a fresh cables and do cable management within the distribution boards and consumer units since they want everything to be conceal.

See the picture below
here's where the authority comes in. If the regulatory agencies are working without collecting bribes, issues like these will be eliminated by 70% at least
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 12:35pm On Feb 13, 2023
GloriousGbola:

They ENSURED the building was built to code.

Just as any professionals here would ensure standards are followed even exceeded on their own build/installation.

True 👍
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by inze(m): 12:42pm On Feb 13, 2023
michlins:
here's where the authority comes in. If the regulatory agencies are working without collecting bribes, issues like these will be eliminated by 70% at least

comrade, your voice is loud at the back. Off mic, they will soon come for you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amosaloud(m): 12:53pm On Feb 13, 2023
hamtabfawaz:

Just imagine, if we build houses that are earthquake proof, imagine how solid the structure would stand & how it can withstand harsh conditions. You know, It's not a bad idea to have an earthquake proof house in Nigeria.

I don't know what the cost implication will be for house builders for an issue with almost negligible risk in Nigeria. Maybe the high-rise expensive buildings may require it and can justify the extra expense.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kaze4blues(m): 2:51pm On Feb 13, 2023
What’s the current price of cement and block (sizes 6 and 9) in Ibadan or south west please?

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 2:54pm On Feb 13, 2023
KIDfurniture:
I will upload tomorrow . I embarked on a 1rm and parlor recently. Just to test the cost to finish it. It’s lovely. It’s going to be my OBI…

That would be lovely....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 2:57pm On Feb 13, 2023
hamtabfawaz:

Not necessary to screed your ceiling, Save cost. A good painting will complete the job.

Graffitex doesn't need screeding.

[b]Goodluck on your project, [/b]Ma'am.

Thank you Sir...taken note, if I am able to afford screeding the ceiling I'd go for it but if I can't afford it, will just screed the walls...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by JamieGray: 3:38pm On Feb 13, 2023
In Islamabad the prices of apartments is very high because of high demand of property. If you are interested in buying a luxury apartment in Islamabad The Garden Residence is one of the best residential projects in Islamabad which is offering premium apartments. The apartments are available in 1-Bed, 2-Bed, and 3-Bedroom sizes. The apartments can be booked by paying a small down payment and the remaining can be paid in installments.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ChiefSupplier55(m): 3:52pm On Feb 13, 2023
Gigaset:
Are they really German Doors?

Yes there are gamern door
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Gigaset: 3:52pm On Feb 13, 2023
The whole floor is covered too and based on my research the external wall is necessary too
sonnie10:

For it to work, please try to cover the whole floor and not just the walls.
I don’t think there is need to cover the sides of the wall below your DPC level

(1) (2) (3) ... (3327) (3328) (3329) (3330) (3331) (3332) (3333) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dammybrite, Theanchor, Godisgreatest1, 36pripa(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.