Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3339) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4385651 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3336) (3337) (3338) (3339) (3340) (3341) (3342) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by debeey87(m): 12:14pm On Feb 21, 2023
@Topsy, @twinskenny, is it necessary to have 20mm pipes running through ceilings/woodwork or let me just ask, are there downsides to just running conduits in the walls only and running the wires naked in the ceiling cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 1:30pm On Feb 21, 2023
debeey87:
@Topsy, @twinskenny, is it necessary to have 20mm pipes running through ceilings/woodwork or let me just ask, are there downsides to just running conduits in the walls only and running the wires naked in the ceiling cheesy
Imagine what would happen if rat chop one and roof come leak join.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 2:30pm On Feb 21, 2023
sonnie10:

Serious kasala!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 3:26pm On Feb 21, 2023
debeey87:

Not advisable sir. Do a full conduit system

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 3:35pm On Feb 21, 2023
sonnie10:

fire hazard
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 3:35pm On Feb 21, 2023
debeey87:

Na do full conduit sir

Cost difference not that much
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 4:13pm On Feb 21, 2023
twinskenny:

Na do full conduit sir

Cost difference not that much
Is money everything, what about safety of people that will live there including the owner, if it is private resident. Does the law permit it. This kind of thinking should be discouraged. Thank all the professionals that stood firm to defend their positions.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 4:24pm On Feb 21, 2023
kopell:
Is money everything, what about safety of people that will live there including the owner, if it is private resident. Does the law permit it. This kind of thinking should be discouraged. Thank all the professionals that stood firm to defend their positions.
money is the most important factor to builders so you use that to advise them using what they care about.

If safety is a priority, buildings won't be falling

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by henrymor: 4:49pm On Feb 21, 2023
I can't believe I am just seeing this. Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate boss. I have sorted it and everything is fine. God bless you.

topsy23:

I have 2 questions to ask you based on your comment above .

1- Did you check the voltage reading on any of your small stabilizer/voltage regulator you have at home the value of supply voltage ?
2- At peak period i.e between the hour of 5pm and 9pm you need to check the value of voltage to be sure of peak period voltage.

If you plan to get the central stabilizer, we must know the total load in your house e.g.
-Number of AC
-Number of water heater
Number of lighting point
-Number of socket .etc

All these are required to get the rating of stabilizer required.

You can not just jump into 5000W for a central stabilizer when your building is a duplex or tye total load is 10,000W REMEMBER it won't work.

Also, we need to know if your connection to your building is 3-phase connection or single phase connection . It won't be advisable to install single phase stabilizer if you have 3-phase equipment in your house ... It will not work.

Your choice of stabilizer voltage range will depend on the minimum value of voltage in your area. Some stabilizer voltage range is low as 90V - 230V while some are
100V - 230V,
110V-230V
Etc
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 4:54pm On Feb 21, 2023
michlins:
money is the most important factor to builders so you use that to advise them using what they care about.

Building a good 3 bedroom these days is not less #5-10M.
Did you know that the pvc pipe that would cover the entire roof for conduit wiring of such building might not be up to #50k?
There are areas that one might cut cost in building but this is definitely not one of them. The risk is enormous.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:44pm On Feb 21, 2023
sonnie10:

Building a good 3 bedroom these days is not less #5-10M.
Did you know that the pvc pipe that would cover the entire roof for conduit wiring of such building might not be up to #50k?
There are areas that one might cut cost in building but this is definitely not one of them. The risk is enormous.
I understand what you're saying but ordinary Nigerian wants to cut corners

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 5:53pm On Feb 21, 2023
henrymor:
I can't believe I am just seeing this. Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate boss. I have sorted it and everything is fine. God bless you.

You are welcome sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 6:14pm On Feb 21, 2023
My dad didn't do full conduit and his building hasn't burnt down or electrocuted anyone for over 30 years now...

Yes it is good to be modernized but some old practices do not hurt though....

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olukaygold(m): 6:34pm On Feb 21, 2023
Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kalu61(m): 7:21pm On Feb 21, 2023
michlins:

I believe this thread is to give the best possible practice, standard and safety.

Tell the client the pros and cons of each and give the best advice possible.

A country where electricity comes in low and high voltages, different wire quality and kids at home etc, nature of wiring must be given priority in a changing world.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 8:23pm On Feb 21, 2023
olukaygold:
Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.
Nice, Real nice.... but i like my balconies clear and open to enjoy the view and fresh breeze.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 8:25pm On Feb 21, 2023
Around 1989 about 34 years ago, my neighbor, may his soul Rest In Peace, was involved in a ghastly MVA with his 404 Peugeot pickup. It did not have basic safety features like airbag and seatbelt. The doctors said he hit the chest on steering wheel.
This is over three decades, but we still see people driving same model of vehicle, with no incidents.
The moral of the story; You can never tell when a devouring leopard is laying ambushed but you can be prepared.
Safety first, is why the Boys Scouts has their moto as “be prepared.”
Consider this when you build.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olukaygold(m): 9:38pm On Feb 21, 2023
BrickDevo:

Nice, Real nice.... but i like my balconies clear and open to enjoy the view and fresh breeze.
I also like Open Balconies but most Tenants esp Youth preferred a barricaded Balcony Apartment.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nadingo: 10:32pm On Feb 21, 2023
sonnie10:
Around 1989 about 34 years ago, my neighbor, may his soul Rest In Peace, was involved in a ghastly MVA with his 404 Peugeot pickup. It did not have basic safety features like airbag and seatbelt. The doctors said he hit the chest on steering wheel.
This is over three decades, but we still see people driving same model of vehicle, with no incidents.
The moral of the story; You can never tell when a devouring leopard is laying ambushed but you can be prepared.
Safety first, is why the Boys Scouts has their moto as “be prepared.”
Consider this when you build.
Apt!🙏
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 10:36pm On Feb 21, 2023
These my eyes ehh! Lord, may it not lead me into temptation. Amen.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by asamwababy: 10:59pm On Feb 21, 2023
twinskenny:
This house will be smart

Electrical
Video door bell
Intercom
Ip cctv
Smart switches
Etc.

Does this building have adequate parking space?

Looks clustered.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cash1115(m): 8:40am On Feb 22, 2023
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cash1115(m): 8:41am On Feb 22, 2023
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by debeey87(m): 9:08am On Feb 22, 2023
Una don talk very well on the matter. My question stemmed from what we do now and what was obtainable in the past. My dad did surface wiring for his house and it's still standing like @redgem said.

I remember asking here months ago why we first do plastering on bathroom and kitchen walls then still use plaster sand and cement again to fix tiles instead of eliminating the first plastering and just fix the tiles directly on the blocks.

Personally, the cost implication is minimal but it's what I have seen people do around hence the question

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 12:13pm On Feb 22, 2023
Please house whats the going rate for iron rods ( Local ) today in lagos
10mm
12mm
16mm
Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrDraey(m): 12:26pm On Feb 22, 2023
Good afternoon house

Please how much is Coleman 1.5, 2.5 and 4mm cables now?

What are the better alternative and their prices please, an electrician suggested seebest but never heard of it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by visaclick: 12:53pm On Feb 22, 2023
Structural and engineering drawings dm me via pm. Always available 247
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by CDG1(m): 1:56pm On Feb 22, 2023
Available to give you the best supply deal

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 2:54pm On Feb 22, 2023
debeey87:
Una don talk very well on the matter. My question stemmed from what we do now and what was obtainable in the past. My dad did surface wiring for his house and it's still standing like @redgem said.

I remember asking here months ago why we first do plastering on bathroom and kitchen walls then still use plaster sand and cement again to fix tiles instead of eliminating the first plastering and just fix the tiles directly on the blocks.

Personally, the cost implication is minimal but it's what I have seen people do around hence the question
Remember also that what they did those days was mostly surface wiring and not half conduit.
Secondly the wires were different. It had another thick insulation after the individual red and black insulation which served as the PVC pipe. Also the wires were not passed through ceiling, instead holes were drilled through walls.

The half conduit which you asked earlier is a totally new invention were single wires (red and black ) are passed through the ceiling without pvc. That is the one that makes me cringe.

Lastly, full conduit is a different ball game.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 3:36pm On Feb 22, 2023
MrDraey:
Good afternoon house

Please how much is Coleman 1.5, 2.5 and 4mm cables now?

What are the better alternative and their prices please, an electrician suggested seebest but never heard of it

Go for Coleman,?Nigerchin/Kabelmetal/Purechem
1.5mm 13,500
2.5mm 22,400
4mm 36,000
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dapotemi: 4:32pm On Feb 22, 2023
redgem:

I can't give her access to the account...this incident shows she isn't smart... Yeah, the money is gone but someone will have to pay for her carelessness...

Give her access and you SWEEP daily

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:35pm On Feb 22, 2023
QS in the house..

How much is the rate of 1 cubm of 1.3.6. concrete now?

(1) (2) (3) ... (3336) (3337) (3338) (3339) (3340) (3341) (3342) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: fabulous85, lorhema(f), joetoocute, Gen2men, gbadexy(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.