Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,978 members, 7,817,882 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3411) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4391870 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3408) (3409) (3410) (3411) (3412) (3413) (3414) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:02pm On Jun 18, 2023
MrOkenwa:
I think the govt and the discos need to beam their lights on the activities of these CDAs.
I was told we’ll pay 250k(recently increased from 150k) to connect to the national grid.
Now, Mr Chairman has decided to flex his muscles by telling us that we will have to pay 750k because we have 3 buildings on the property. And these folks do anything they want as far as connecting to their community grid is concerned. They disconnect people when they so wish.

You need to find out if its the CDA that bought transformer, installs electrical poles etc.. if they are the one definitely they will be charging new home owners… and you need to find out from the people around how they pay… in my own area we did everything ourself and each house has to pay the some some of 80k.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 8:09pm On Jun 18, 2023
Born2conquer:

Yes, they merely dropped the Survey number.

And the person we got the land from has been in possession of the land for as long as 20years. Even bought the land twice

Didn't they tell you it's a dog-eat-dog world? LOL
Welcome to Nigeria!

There is a very high probability they just want to scare you into offering them a settlement especially as the previous owner did same (recall you claimed he bought it twice).

Survey plan is only a means of identification of the LOCATION of a said piece of land. It is not and will never be proof of ownership.

That said, you can pay someone to help you check if the survey was actually registered.

Going to court is usually the last option as they may get an interim injunction freezing your business and this is usually their ace
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 8:20pm On Jun 18, 2023
FEGEITOK:

Everyone that has a tank stand and everyone who lives close to one needs to be aware that this is a potential consequence of owing one or being close to one and should take action to be sure they are not living close to a ticking time bomb

I recall posting how it destroyed a school next door and killed some unfortunate kids in the south east of Nigeria

Everyone building one or hiring one should also be aware of the legal consequences if something you put up results in someone's death

it is not about how cheap you can build it, it is about how well you can build it

So don't hire just about anyone to do it
There is this culture of maintenance that we generally don't like.

All steel structures are meant to be inspected and certified periodically based on use (criticality) and environment.
Lagos is surrounded by salt water, resulting in I creased rate of corrosion. All heavy duty steel structures should be inspected bi-anually, followed by painting or any other corrosion mitigation strategy

Alot of these failures are corrosion induced while very few are foundation related
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 8:41pm On Jun 18, 2023
erico2k2:

I think I agree with the other poster, you have not directed the path of the positively charged particles of the spark, its now spread along tyhe top part of the edge of the entire building. Take not that edge has metal inside and concrete is not in 100% an insulator.
PS. You are better off insulating the base of the arrestor with tape or use patch from a cut tyre

Today is my "don't look the other way" day.

It seems this lightning arrestor was not bonded with the general earthing of the building. The grounding was also done close to the building.

If that proves to be the case, then...

Actually the house becomes a time-bomb for any sensitive electronics that may be installed without a surge protector between such device and the wall outlet power socket.

During a strike, there is increased heating and resistance on the cable so that the tail end of the lightening starts looking for another path to ground. If it sees another separate path to ground, it will arc across
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 8:42pm On Jun 18, 2023
WE BUY DEAD/SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead deep cycle batteries from any state to Lagos (Terms & Condition applies) ...

12v 200a .... N30,000
12v 150a.....N22,000
12v 100a.......N14,000
2v 500a ......N6,000

Free pickup within some parts of Lagos mainland ! Shared cost logistics within Lagos Island environs . . If outside Lagos state , send the scrap batteries to your nearby Lagos park & get your payment alert immediately after confirmatory remarks from me with the transport company manager / secretary or driver (shared logistics cost depending on scrap battery quantity) ..

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: http://.us/w/?c=a46ea5

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 8:56pm On Jun 18, 2023
I think I have found solution to evade disaster from collapse of tank stand.
This is just an idea,but engineers could look into the practicality. Some building structural factors should be considered to maintain the building integrity. For example, how much force a free hanging filled water tank would exact on the pillar of the building.
1) After building the tank stand
2) Get heavy metal chain for each tank
3 ) Make anchors on the building wall at the level close to the tanks ( preferably at pillars)
4) Anchor each tank with the chain to the wall ( without tension)
5)when stand collapses the chain will sustain the tanks( or possibly the generated tension water weight could tear the free hanging tank and only water will discharge)
6) This would be a temporary safety measure till tank is recovered.

Disclaimer: I don’t know o! Don’t try this at home
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 9:02pm On Jun 18, 2023
44chux:

There is this culture of maintenance that we generally don't like.

All steel structures are meant to be inspected and certified periodically based on use (criticality) and environment.
Lagos is surrounded by salt water, resulting in I creased rate of corrosion. All heavy duty steel structures should be inspected bi-anually, followed by painting or any other corrosion mitigation strategy

Alot of these failures are corrosion induced while very few are foundation related

Soon after that post as I always do, I decided to find out why do storage tanks fail.

The results I found were more attuned towards the oil industry but the lessons can be applicable to water tanks.

Yes you are right. Corrosion was the first on the list.

I am not sure those who build tanks as a general rule teach the owners of those tanks that fighting corrosion is the responsibility of the tank stand owner and not the tank stand builder.

And not being aware that one is supposed to fight corrosion is not an acceptable excuse before the law, it is rather evidence of negligence on the part of the tank stand owner. He ought to know that a tank stand is dangerous thing and need to be managed.

So the fault of the failure of tank stands in Nigeria is a fault of the owner of the tank stand in cases of corrosion and poor maintenance and maybe the fault of the builder in cases of improper construction.

There are other reasons which are included in the screenshot.

This is one reason why I try to educate myself on anything I engage a contractor on. Lest I get into trouble because I did not know what I ought to have known. This is another reason to engage engineers that don't have a bossy attitude and that don't just want money to change hands but can discuss implications with those giving them jobs.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GloriousGbola: 9:12pm On Jun 18, 2023
44chux:

Today is my "don't look the other way" day.

It seems this lightning arrestor was not bonded with the general earthing of the building. The grounding was also done close to the building.

If that proves to be the case, then...

Actually the house becomes a time-bomb for any sensitive electronics that may be installed without a surge protector between such device and the wall outlet power socket.

During a strike, there is increased heating and resistance on the cable so that the tail end of the lightening starts looking for another path to ground. If it sees another separate path to ground, it will arc across

The saving grace is that the house will probably never see a strike because it is in a built up area with taller structures, some of which already have arresters installed. That is why these practice are not leading to incidents
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 9:13pm On Jun 18, 2023
sonnie10:
I think I have found solution to evade disaster from collapse of tank stand.
This is just and idea,but engineers could look into the practicality. Some building structural factors should be considered to maintain the building integrity. For example, how much force a free hanging filled water tank would exact on the the pillar of the building.
1) After building the tank stand
2) Get heavy metal chain for each tank
3 ) Make anchors on the building wall at the level close to the tanks ( preferably at pillars)
4) Anchor each tank with the chain to the wall ( without tension)
5)when stand collapses the chain will sustain the tanks( or possibly the weight/ tension of water could tear the free hanging tank and only water will discharge)
6) This would be a temporary safety measure till tank is recovered.

Disclaimer: I don’t know o! Don’t try this at home

Another solution could be to erect another arrowhead metal pipe right under each tank. When the tank falls, it falls on the arrowhead, get pierced and water discharges.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GloriousGbola: 9:19pm On Jun 18, 2023
FEGEITOK:

Soon after that post as I always do, I decided to find out why do storage tanks fail.

The results I found were more attuned towards the oil industry but the lessons can be applicable to water tanks.

I am not sure those who build tanks as a general rule teach the owners of those tanks that fighting corrosion is the responsibility of the tank stand owner and not the tank stand builder.

And not being aware that one is supposed to fight corrosion is not an acceptable excuse before the law, it is rather evidence of negligence on the part of the tank stand owner. He ought to know that a tank stand is dangerous thing and need to be managed.

So the fault of the failure of tank stands in Nigeria is a fault of the owner of the tank stand in cases of corrosion and poor maintenance and maybe the fault of the builder in cases of improper construction.

This is one reason why I try to educate myself on anything I engage a contractor on. Lest I get into trouble because I did not know what I ought to have known. This is another reason to engage engineers that don't have a bossy attitude and that don't just want money to change hands but can discuss implications with those giving them jobs.

A few years ago lasg went after telecoms masts for this reason. Your standard telecoms mast is angle.iron members. But people were fabricating masts with hollow pipe and rods as trusses. Basically another round of bastardization of a design that is then copied enmass. The hollow pipe is rarely coated within and so will rust from inside, then fail spectacularly during heavy winds. Your thick angle iron members are painted all over and have no area where water can collect and condense. This is the same design for power transmission towers. This can probably be adopted for over head tanks, but it will cost more.

It is also possible that if your overhead tank has hollow pipes and you actually design with proper water proofing/blocking , there will be no water ingress into the pipes. However this will require thoroughness and possibly a higher cost the client is not prepared to pay.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 9:26pm On Jun 18, 2023
GloriousGbola:

A few years ago lasg went after telecoms masts for this reason. Your standard telecoms mast is angle.iron members. But people were fabricating masts with hollow pipe and rods as trusses. Basically another round of bastardization of a design that is then copied enmass. The hollow pipe is rarely coated within and so will rust from inside, then fail spectacularly during heavy winds. Your thick angle iron members are painted all over and have no area where water can collect and condense. This is the same design for power transmission towers. This can probably be adopted for over head tanks, but it will cost more.

It is also possible that if your overhead tank has hollow pipes and you actually design with proper water proofing/blocking , there will be no water ingress into the pipes. However this will require thoroughness and possibly a higher cost the client is not prepared to pay.

Finally the secret is out.

Why tank stands in Nigeria tend to fail.

From the little I have seen the majority of water tank stands in Nigeria are built this way!

Mine is. Everyone in my neighborhood is built this way.

My only saving grace is that mine is short! So it cannot fail spectacularly. I do have pressure issues though and I want to solve those with an inline pressure pump.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 9:34pm On Jun 18, 2023
Sorry did you say 850k for this kichen cabinet set up i am looking at using HDF?
Or are you talking about a much bigger set up?

Seems a lot ooo IMO

hamtabfawaz:

I mainly use two types of boards for my kitchen setup.
standard HDF or HDF high gloss.
For Standard HDF = ₦850K . HDF high gloss = ₦1.3M
NB: prices are subject to change.

You can send me a DM on whatsapp & request for videos of previous projects. 09122348437

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GloriousGbola: 9:34pm On Jun 18, 2023
FEGEITOK:

Finally the secret is out.

Why tank stands in Nigeria tend to fail.

From the little I have seen the majority of water tank stands in Nigeria are built this way!

Mine is. Everyone in my neighborhood is built this way.

My only saving grace is that mine is short! So it cannot fail spectacularly. I do have pressure issues though and I want to solve those with an inline pressure pump.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

The other issue is corner cutting. If the tank stand is built with schedule 40 pipe, which has a thickness of 6mm - it will last much longer. But some people with build with pipe that is 3mm thick. That pipe will invariably have issues within two years.

We have the same issue in the oil and gas industry. You see stations with tanks that have 6mm shell looking pristine after 20 years. Then you see the Nigerian fabricated tanks with 4mm or 3mm shell which start leaking in two - three years.

Unfortunately client has no way of knowing what the vendor is doing,client may have paid for a standard tank stand but some vendors gonna vendor.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 9:38pm On Jun 18, 2023
GloriousGbola:

The other issue is corner cutting. If the tank stand is built with schedule 40 pipe, which has a thickness of 6mm - it will last much longer. But some people with build with pipe that is 3mm thick. That pipe will invariably have issues within two years.

We have the same issue in the oil and gas industry. You see stations with tanks that have 6mm shell looking pristine after 20 years. Then you see the Nigerian fabricated tanks with 4mm or 3mm shell which start leaking in two - three years.

Unfortunately client has no way of knowing what the vendor is doing,client may have paid for a standard tank stand but some vendors gonna vendor.

Let Nigeria not happen to us!

Very enlightening
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 9:41pm On Jun 18, 2023
FEGEITOK:

I think you are confusing steel water tank stands with steel tanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 9:51pm On Jun 18, 2023
44chux:

I think you are confusing steel water tank stands with steel tanks.

I know they are different.

I know the tank housing in Nigeria is built with metal, don't know the type of metal, I assume it is steel

I know the tanks in Nigeria are generally plastic

I was assuming that since the tank housing is metal, the reason why steel tanks fail can be applied to the water tank stand failures in Nigeria

Despite all attempts I could not single out the metal that supports the tank when conducting the search for reasons for failure, this was the closest I could get
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 9:53pm On Jun 18, 2023
egunmogaji, does this help you answer your question a little while ago

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:31pm On Jun 18, 2023
swiz123:
Good afternoon everyone.

Please, can an Engineer renovate a house with an architectural design?

Yes
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Geekop: 11:09pm On Jun 18, 2023
I have being reading about falling tank stands here and this makes me want to ask which is better between pipes and steel for tank stand.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:04am On Jun 19, 2023
This is mine bellow.I think of you gonna go this high use H beams.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 2:12am On Jun 19, 2023
erico2k2:
Ironically those pipes are generally thicker/ stronger than the H-beams. Especially when sourced from the used/scrap market.

It's more of a design issue. Copy and paste is cheaper for us. If it works for my neighbour, it will work for me.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:40am On Jun 19, 2023
44chux:

Ironically those pipes are generally thicker/ stronger than the H-beams. Especially when sourced from the used/scrap market.

It's more of a design issue. Copy and paste is cheaper for us. If it works for my neighbour, it will work for me.
Are you kidding me?when it comes to support H beams are the best.H beams can hold anything if the right strength is used.Galvanised pipes has hidden part prone to rust H beams dnt
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by visaclick: 4:57am On Jun 19, 2023
erico2k2:
and what makes you conclude Hbeam will be best? This cooy paste attitude is causing more harm than good and I don’t blame clients because quacks have flooded the profession. Just as a building needs structural analysis it is the civil engineers job to run the analysis and determine the specifications to use.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 6:57am On Jun 19, 2023
So this is the latest story that lead to the tank stand discussion.

Please note the accusation of gross negligence

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:08am On Jun 19, 2023
44chux:

those pipes really very scarce especially if you live outside of oil producing areas.

They're usually decommissioned pipes from pipelines which on its own is a risk because it has outlived its time. But that doesn't mean it will collapse. The collapse of tank stand is usually from the base. If you make mistake on the foundation,it will affect the general structure.

Another issue is the overloading of the structure. You can imagine a situation where you are meant to carry something too heavy for you

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:10am On Jun 19, 2023
erico2k2:

Are you kidding me?when it comes to support H beams are the best.H beams can hold anything if the right strength is used.Galvanised pipes has hidden part prone to rust H beams dnt
pipes in general have holes which can retain water. Upon accumulation, rusting will take place quicker than it is supposed to happen
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SALLYBERRY01(m): 7:36am On Jun 19, 2023
Good morning dear builders , I’m here on once again to introduce you to our buisness.
We manufacture and install various type of window blinds such as day night window blind, wooden blinds, Venetian blinds, we are fast and reliable with positive reviews on Nairaland.

Contact us 08119470142
Instagram: designsbyAtlantic

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AAMTiling(m): 8:16am On Jun 19, 2023
Happy New Week

Already at the tiling stage of your project? Call us for professional and topnotch tiling services.

O7O68853073

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adeememman(m): 9:37am On Jun 19, 2023
FEGEITOK:

Those days tank stands are made with concrete slabs and we never heard of collapse like this. Is it cost that made people abandon it cos I don't get

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by unzend: 10:47am On Jun 19, 2023
Hello Everyone,

Quick one please

Any advice as regards Good Paint quality.

Can I go for the generic Paints, I see President Paint is very expensive.

Normal ones like Value range from 8,500 to 12,000

President paint is 29000, almost X 3 of generic brands

I would like to paint both inside and outside the house.

What is the difference between President and brands forms of Paint
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abbeyb1ack: 10:52am On Jun 19, 2023
Abudu2000:
if there wasn’t any grid in place what will you be connecting to in the first place? Everything doesn’t have to be tribalism or sentiments but if you think it’s too expensive then make your own connection directly from kanji dam.

Be like this man they part of the CDA or is he the chairman cry cry cry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Geekop: 10:53am On Jun 19, 2023
adeememman:

Those days tank stands are made with concrete slabs and we never heard of collapse like this. Is it cost that made people abandon it cos I don't get

It's cos of the height. They mostly use concrete tank stand for bungalows and possibly a storey building.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3408) (3409) (3410) (3411) (3412) (3413) (3414) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Boykay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.