Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,686 members, 7,831,127 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3543) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4433105 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3540) (3541) (3542) (3543) (3544) (3545) (3546) ... (3675) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:11am On Nov 09, 2023
somehow:
Solid or penny wise, pound foolish?

My oga, this is how building construction textbook like “ivor seely” and the likes explained it. But in practice only few of this you will see.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:12am On Nov 09, 2023
somehow:

There’s something called Slab On Fill.

It’s a type of slab that is done on a well compacted layer of soil and crushed stones.
It does not require the same class of cement you’d use for a suspended slab.

The crushed stone form the last layer.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:28am On Nov 09, 2023
rotecch77:

My oga, this is how building construction textbook like “ivor seely” and the likes explained it. But in practice only few of this you will see.

| Maverrick Project by NextHome, 2015

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:34am On Nov 09, 2023
n3xt:

Maverrick Project by NextHome, 2015
O waa Alright.
My ongoing gigantic project need it. Most especially the Hall section
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:42am On Nov 09, 2023
rotecch77:

O waa Alright.
My ongoing gigantic project need it. Most especially the Hall section

It’s the best way to build BUT then 🌚

Make I no talk.

I’ve had to investigate a foundation in Lekki area before and it was shocking to see that the soil used to fill the foundation has subside under the slab in less than 2 years after the project. I remember I share the video here on this topic .

Reason: Poor Compaction

We too dey rush our builds in these days of Buy and Build in one month. We hardly give time for natural compaction.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dastupakov(m): 7:42am On Nov 09, 2023
Hi!

My name is Dima. I'm working on digital product to bring effectiveness and transparency into construction projects. We already have solution which are adopted by several companies, but we are lack of market info to perfect it to construction companies needs.
I'm looking for experts from construction industry who can have a small talk with me about processes in their construction companies.
Your expertise will be a priceless help.

Please reach me out any way in my signature.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:49am On Nov 09, 2023
When laying a foundation on disturbed soil or an old building, you have to do more than just skimming the surface.

Ongoing: SCH Haus by NextHome | Preparing the site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy_WxyQHeyg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 9:03am On Nov 09, 2023
Its a solid for me..

I have used this method severally on my projects: warehouse, residential and commercial buildings because of the nature of the subsoil materials and the building load.

In foundation construction one of the filling materials is the hardcore; an aggregates that is hard, inert with less capillary action eg sharp sand, granites, boulders etc

In areas like Lekki and environs, it is unusual to see this type of filling because the whole area has been sandfilled with sharp sand which is also readily available in large quantities there.

But in areas where the sub soil is clayey, it become imperative to fill with hardcore because clayey is prone to shrinkage and swelling.

In such areas , I prefer these larger granites or smaller boulders as hardcore because they provides added strength for my oversite concrete, fills the void faster than the sharp sand as well as reduces capillarity in the subsoil.

somehow:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:42am On Nov 09, 2023
Aforxzy:

In areas like Lekki and environs, it is unusual to see this type of filling because the whole area has been sandfilled with sharp sand which is also readily available in large quantities there.

Though the type of sharp sands used in Lekki and other non-cohesive fill materials are less liable to shrinkage, we must understand they are more liable to being flushed out by water flow when it continues to percolate through a foundation.
So we cannot overlook the influence of water content on different types of soil when choosing fill materials in different sites especially in waterlogged areas.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:42am On Nov 09, 2023
@ afonxy

Exactly, reason why I’m using it in my current Hall construction section as I said earlier.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:51am On Nov 09, 2023
n3xt:

Though the type of sharp sands used in Lekki and other non-cohesive fill materials are less liable to shrinkage, we must understand they are more liable to being flushed out by water flow when it continues to percolate through a foundation.
So we cannot overlook the influence of water content on different types of soil when choosing fill materials in different sites especially in waterlogged areas.
Reason why it essential to compact any filling very well PREFERABLE IN LAYERS.
More so erosion can only acted on such foundation if it’s on real erosion water way,
That is if the foundation wasn’t built very well. If not the water will just be playing around the foundation.

World Tallest building in Dubai Burdji- Kalifa
Foundation comes to mind here also.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 11:21am On Nov 09, 2023
Price increase notification from Nigerchin Cable Manufacturer

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexProjects(m): 11:34am On Nov 09, 2023
[quote author=luvablesam post=126857709]Sense or nonsense?

Can professionals please trash this?
The reason for this arrangement is simply because of pressure.
Installing your tanks at an elevated level makes it possible for gravitational force to act on the flow of water moving down.
If it's the other way i.e down feed to up - feed ,that means you need to constantly put on your pumps using electricity which increases the cost of your household electricity.

In order countries where you have constant electricty,you don't have this arrangement.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kk0nsults: 11:42am On Nov 09, 2023
Kk0nsults:
Contact us for your Architectural Designs and Construction Drawings

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 12:38pm On Nov 09, 2023
n3xt:

Make I no talk.

I’ve had to investigate a foundation in Lekki area before and it was shocking to see that the soil used to fill the foundation has subside under the slab in less than 2 years after the project. I remember I share the video here on this topic .

We too dey rush our builds in these days of Buy and Build in one month. We hardly give time for natural compaction.

Well, I didn't rule out the importance of using good sharp sand compacting well especially in raft foundation...but then it's expected for ground floor slab to stand well even if filling collapse in the future hence necessity for well reinforced ground slab just like suspended slab

I once raised alarm sometimes last year a builder here.( Which is even chatting on this page now ) did a foundation even very close to where we are working now with just wire mesh

Our slogan: we do structures right... it's not mere saying

It's indeed |watchword!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 12:41pm On Nov 09, 2023
n3xt:

Make I no talk.

Well, I didn't rule out the importance of using good sharp sand compacting well especially in raft foundation...but then it's expected for ground floor slab to stand well even if filling collapse in the future hence necessity for well reinforced ground slab just like suspended slab

I once raised alarm sometimes last year a builder here.( Which is even chatting on this page now ) did a foundation even very close to where we are working now with just wire mesh

It's indeed |watchword!

Meanwhile, casting of ground slab in progress

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:43pm On Nov 09, 2023
walexProjects:
If it's the other way i.e down feed to up - feed ,that means you need to constantly put on your pumps using electricity which increases the cost of your household electricity.

I think this is something a high pressure dc pump can fix and interestingly they’re more efficient than the energy guzzling AC pumps.

I have DC pump and I’ve never had to worry about energy consumption.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:45pm On Nov 09, 2023
segcymoor:

It's a indeed [ A watchword!

I hope some people are paying attention to the bolded.

Build your slab on fill like it is a suspended slab.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cash1115(m): 12:48pm On Nov 09, 2023
It's the ember months again and as is well known, most people are planning to move into their new homes before the new year arrives.
We, at His Grace Interior and Exterior Decoration, always have the interest of our clients at heart. Therefore, in a bid to relieve you and make it easier for you to complete your project this year, we're giving you 10% discount on all projects handled by us.
This is not only for our existing clients, it is also opened to new customers.
With this -ember months discount, you can get your p.o.p ceiling installed witout breaking the bank.
There will also be discounts on all our other services like
*Wall and deck screeding
*Pillars and Arc designs,
*Windows and doors design,
*Wall demarcation and skirting,
*Parapets screeding e.t.c
Contact us while offer last, for durable and pocket friendly service.
Reach us on +2347069462837 or at hisgraceinteriors@gmail.com
Or visit our website on our signature

N.B: Terms and Conditions applied.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cash1115(m): 12:49pm On Nov 09, 2023

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 12:50pm On Nov 09, 2023
n3xt:

Na both be standard practice sef...not either
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ajiswaggs(m): 1:08pm On Nov 09, 2023
cash1115:
Good afternoon sir.....I want to make an enquiry

Like how many bags of Pop cement can be use on 180p/sqm measurement

Atleast the average amount of bag.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cash1115(m): 1:22pm On Nov 09, 2023
Ajiswaggs:
Good afternoon sir.....I want to make an enquiry

Like how many bags of Pop cement can be use on 180p/sqm measurement

Atleast the average amount of bag.

Thanks
50 to 55 depending on your design
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexProjects(m): 1:36pm On Nov 09, 2023
n3xt:

I think this is something a high pressure dc pump can fix and interestingly they’re more efficient than the energy guzzling AC pumps.

I have DC pump and I’ve never had to worry about energy consumption.

You're not getting it.

Why do I need to have a put on my pump when my tanks are already at an elevated level?
Even with a DC pump,you will still need starting current to start your pump.
Which is very high in DC motors.

But the solution been proposed has remove the need to constantly put on your pumps when water is needed.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:04pm On Nov 09, 2023
walexProjects:

You're not getting it.

Why do I need to have a put on my pump when my tanks are already at an elevated level?
Even with a DC pump,you will still need starting current to start your pump.
Which is very high in DC motors.

But the solution been proposed has remove the need to constantly put on your pumps when water is needed.

I get your point.

I’m saying if energy consumption is the problem, then a DC pump can fix it.

Working with an average of 100 litres of water a person need per day, I don’t think a building with 30 people will need more than 3,000 litres of water per day and 90,000 litres per month.

Even a 12v DC pump delivering 8 litres per minute will do 3,000 litres of water within 6 hours.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 2:07pm On Nov 09, 2023
dastupakov:
Hi!

My name is Dima. I'm working on digital product to bring effectiveness and transparency into construction projects. We already have solution which are adopted by several companies, but we are lack of market info to perfect it to construction companies needs.
I'm looking for experts from construction industry who can have a small talk with me about processes in their construction companies.
Your expertise will be a priceless help.

Please reach me out any way in my signature.

WhatsApp me.
Number in signature
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 2:39pm On Nov 09, 2023
Osinachiadima global Enterprise deal of building materials
Tiles
Doors
Sanitary Ware's
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 2:57pm On Nov 09, 2023
segcymoor:

It's indeed |watchword!

But RBC ( wire mesh) is WELL recommended for ground slab in all building book and in practice also

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 3:12pm On Nov 09, 2023
segcymoor:

If it’s a normal oversite concrete (German floor) that’s the best practice
If it’s for reinforced ground floor slab (raft slab) then it is totally wrong and a bad practice.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 3:18pm On Nov 09, 2023
segcymoor:

At your attached picture

Yes indeed you are doing it right.

I have seen instances where people reinforce their raft slab as tho it’s a suspended slab.

Raft slab reinforcement principle is different from that of suspended slab.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 3:23pm On Nov 09, 2023
rotecch77:

But RBC ( wire mesh) is WELL recommended for ground slab in all building book and in practice also

Yes you are right.

BRC (wire mesh) = oversite concrete
Reinforcement (high or mild yield) = ground floor slab (raft slab)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 3:38pm On Nov 09, 2023
n3xt:

I think a better way to render the bolded is

“Build your slab on fill so it doesn’t act like a suspended slab. “

When suspended slabs are designed, one of the main thing we design and check for is Deflection.

Owing that your ground slab is sitting on a well compacted fill material plus hardcor, we are not supposed to experience any form of deflection.

Hence it shouldn’t act as a suspended slab, and as such should not be reinforced as one.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3540) (3541) (3542) (3543) (3544) (3545) (3546) ... (3675) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.