Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,918 members, 7,863,226 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 01:24 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3683) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4506535 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3680) (3681) (3682) (3683) (3684) (3685) (3686) ... (3696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rydow(m): 12:53am On May 27
Is this still available?

SurveyorGeo:
DISTRESS SALE!!! One plot of Land for sale behind Unilag Estate Magodo, off Science Road, Elliot Avenue. 12million.
Land documents: Receipt and Survey Plan.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cash1115(m): 7:53am On May 27
Happy new week, happy children's day may we all witness more of it
We are available for ur pop, screeding, artwork, tv console,
We have the finest finishing 100%

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by CELEBRITYSAND: 8:10am On May 27
✅️ IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR QUALITY LOOK NO FURTHER ✅

📞 CALL OR WHATS APP CELEBRITY SAND AND GRANITE SUPPLIER ON. 08037136667

💥 WE SUPPLY💥 TO ANY LOCATION 
       🟡 GRAVEL.
       🟡 PLASTERING SAND.
       🟡 SHARP SAND.
       🟡 FILLING SAND
       🟡 TOP SOIL
       🟡 GRANITE
       🟡 STONEBASE
       🟡 SALT FREE SAND.
       🟡 WE HAVE 30 20 &10TONS.              TRUCK FOR PROMPT DELIVERY
       🟡SITE EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE FOR HIRE.

💥 OUR DELIVERY  AND QUALITY  TOP NOTCH 💥

📍TRANSPORTATION COST DEPENDS ON LOCATION AND QUANTITY.

🔴CASH ON DELIVERY ALSO AVAILABLE

✅️we also offer site management  services.

WHEN PROPERLY MOBILIZED WE CAN MOVE TO ANY LOCATION IN THE COUNTRY AND DELIVER.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fnglng: 10:11am On May 27
Hello House!!. what are the advantages and disandvantages of screeding a house before painting?.
Note: This is a commercial building (rented apartments) and the contractor is pushing for screeding the internal walls because according to him, it will last longer. Your professional inputs are welcomed. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 11:06am On May 27
fnglng:
Hello House!!. what are the advantages and disandvantages of screeding a house before painting?.
Note: This is a commercial building (rented apartments) and the contractor is pushing for screeding the internal walls because according to him, it will last longer. Your professional inputs are welcomed. Thanks
Screeding is not as durable as cement plastered wall. Screeding is just meant to give it a level of smoothness that cement render can't give.
You can get a relatively stronger screeding by using sufficient extra binder or ready mixed putty.
Even tenement houses do screeding to add value to the house. That should have been his argument rather than say it would make wall last longer.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 2:55pm On May 27
fnglng:
In my opinion, for a rental building, screeding is just an unnecessary luxury that will add little or nothing to the value of the property.

For a private residence, yes I'd absolutely go for it, but not for a commercial property.

Just make sure the plastering is done with range, and you're good to go.

PS: Not every plasterer knows how to do range plastering, especially Nigerian ones. Togolese masons are quite good at this.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kkonsults: 3:57pm On May 27
DISTRESS SALE

600sqm plot of land at Cerise Gardens, Osoroko, Ibeju Lekki.

It is situated in an estate opposite Dangote Jetty, free from government acquisition and with a registered survey.

Asking price: 6.5m naira

Call: 0816 989 7915
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:24pm On May 27
Rany4all:
In my opinion, for a rental building, screeding is just an unnecessary luxury that will add little or nothing to the value of the property.

For a private residence, yes I'd absolutely go for it, but not for a commercial property.

Just make sure the plastering is done with range, and you're good to go.

PS: Not every plasterer knows how to do range plastering, especially Nigerian ones. Togolese masons are quite good at this.
U save on painting when you screed.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by StesDcomedian(m): 4:42pm On May 27
MrKingOvie:
Good Morning everyone,
I am at the wiring stage and got this quotation from my engineer.
I would like the house to scrutinize it..It's a 3 bedroom Bungalow all en suite with 2 water heaters.
STAGE 2
QUOTATION FOR WIRING

(1) 1.5mm² Red(5 coils)
(2)1.5mm² Black (3 coils)
(3) 2.5 mm² Red(2coils)
(4) 2.5 mm² Black(2coils)
(5)1.5mm² Earth's (2coils)
(6) 4.0mm² Red(1coil)
(7)4.0mm² Black (1coil)
(cool2.5mm² Earth(1coil)
2 PIECES OF FISHING TAPES.
10MM² MEASUREMENT 46 YARDS

FITTINGS
13AMP sockets single (7 PCs)
13Amp sockets double (15pcs)
15amp sockets (2pcs)
1gangs switch (9pcs)
2gangs switch (6pcs)
3gangs switch (9pcs)
Ceiling Rose (9pcs)
Water heater switch (9pcs)
Cooker unit socket (1piece)
TV socket (7pcs)
Bell push and switch
Wall brackets (13pcs)
Chandelier (3pcs)
POP panel light 12watts( 26pcs)
Outside buckets fittings (9pcs)
Earth rod (1)
Earthing salts (3bags)
Long and short BS screw
Black star screw 2" INCH
Blacks tapes 4 pieces
Multiple colours tapes light 4 row, chokes 17 pieces...
Thanks in advance for your assistance

I think they are okay, at least the fittings you can see where they will be used, u can count it physically after they are done installing.

Please I sell lightings and Electricals at Lagos island, in case you need I can deliver nationwide
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 5:02pm On May 27
erico2k2:

Your combined expense on screeding and painting together would definitely be more than what you'd spend on painting alone if you don't screed.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:21pm On May 27
Rany4all:
Your combined expense on screeding and painting together would definitely be more than what you'd spend on painting alone without screeding.
you know you can add colour to ur screed, on external walls. Plus you might just get away with one topping if you screed .You will be shocked to find out the difference in 50ltr of screed and that of Sartain paint is really small!I just did mine hands on Jan just gone so I am talking from hands on experience!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 5:28pm On May 27
erico2k2:

If you don't screed, you won't need to use matte or satin. Cheaper emulsion is used.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 5:30pm On May 27
erico2k2:

you know you can add colour to ur screed, on external walls. Plus you might just get away with one topping if you screed .You will be shocked to find out the difference in 50ltr of screed and that of Sartain paint is really small!I just did mine hands on Jan just gone so I am talking from hands on experience!
Whether you screed or not, one coating of satin will do just fine. For emulsion however, you need 2 or 3 coats, but emulsion paint doesn't really require screeding anyway.

And why would I even use satin for a rental?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 5:34pm On May 27
gbadexy:

If you don't screed, you won't need to use matte or satin. Cheaper emulsion is used.
Exactly, and that's good enough for a rental property in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 5:34pm On May 27
Rany4all:
Whether you screed or not, one coating of satin will do just fine. For emulsion however, you need 2 or 3 coats, but emulsion paint doesn't really require screeding anyway.
I don't agree that one coat of satin will do just fine, even if there is color uniformity, there still needs to me a minimum film coat thickness.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:35pm On May 27
Rany4all:
I bet you any money if you do not screed on coating of Sartain wont do you. Fancy a bet?
You talking Emulsion, What grade? if you use High grade Emulsion with screed you need one coat.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 5:40pm On May 27
Rany4all:
Exactly, and that's good enough for a rental property in my opinion.
If the plastering is smooth, a thick emulsion primer may be used for matte application.
We have done it even for satin for rental property but nothing still beats screeding to give better smoothness.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 5:42pm On May 27
gbadexy:

I don't agree that one coat of satin will do just fine, even if there is color uniformity, there still needs to me a minimum film coat thickness.
Well I can't argue that one with you, because that's your bread and butter, but are you also saying that the combined cost of screeding and painting would be cheaper than painting alone without screeding?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 5:45pm On May 27
gbadexy:

If the plastering is smooth, a thick emulsion primer may be used for matte application.
We have done it even for satin for rental property but nothing still beats screeding to give better smoothness.
I'm not arguing about smoothness here, but cost compared to the value added as per return on investment.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 5:47pm On May 27
Rany4all:
Well I can't argue that one with you, because that's your bread and butter, but are you also saying that the combined cost of screeding and painting would be cheaper than painting alone without screeding?
No sir. Painting without screeding is much cheaper.

We used primer for the external with hairline cracks with matte finish and primer for internal for satin finish for this building.

https://www.nairaland.com/4577731/ongoing-painting-pictures-nairalanders-lekki

The plastering was smooth though. Paint is still intact till now. I supplied the client's other project this year.
Nothing still beats proper screeding though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 5:52pm On May 27
Rany4all:
I'm not arguing about smoothness here, but cost compared to the value added as per return on investment.
Not screeding is saving cost and from the paint typed to be used.
I think tenants would expectedly pay more for a screeded wall with quality paint finish.
It would look odd to do pop ceiling, tiles and aluminum windows and have bland plastered wall with budget emulsion.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 6:16pm On May 27
gbadexy:

No sir. Painting without screeding is much cheaper....
Thank you, this is what I've been hinting at.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 6:22pm On May 27
gbadexy:

Not screeding is saving cost and from the paint typed to be used.
I think tenants would expectedly pay more for a screeded wall with quality paint finish.
It would look odd to do pop ceiling, tiles and aluminum windows and have bland plastered wall with budget emulsion.
There are so many other things that tenants are usually willing to pay more for...I don't think a screeded wall or paint quality is one of them though. You'd be surprised, some tenants would even paint over your quality paint with a different colour of their choice, unless you restrict them beforehand.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fnglng: 8:32pm On May 27
I really appreciate all your inputs regarding screeding and painting. the information i gathered so far will help me make decisions on that going forward. I say thank you all!!!!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:01pm On May 27
Rany4all:
There are so many other things that tenants are usually willing to pay more for...I don't think a screeded wall or paint quality is one of them though. You'd be surprised, some tenants would even paint over your quality paint with a different colour of their choice, unless you restrict them beforehand.

Some tenants will even lay wall paper over your nicely screeded wall. Some will build a media centre over it or lay plastic panel all over the wall.

For rentals, a professionally finished plastered wall will do. No tenant will pay more for a screeded wall than a plastered wall all other amenities being equal.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aduragbemi45(m): 10:17pm On May 27
fnglng:
I really appreciate all your inputs regarding screeding and painting. the information i gathered so far will help me make decisions on that going forward. I say thank you all!!!!
Hello sir, whether it is a rented apartment or you want to live there yourself pls screed it sir... if you really want to do so.....its your property...
Exterior wall screeding saves you from high futuristic maintenance...
Your site engineer knows the benefits..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dannie007(m): 11:48pm On May 27
From Experience!!! Most times is the Mixing technique. Like me I have a Electric mixer I use for mixing plastering sand and cement. It helps to eliminate the air in the Cement mix that can cause Crack.

Petmayor:
Hi Guys,

Pls, is having cracks on plastered wall an issue to be worried about or it will be taken care of during painting?

I have attached the picture. Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dannie007(m): 11:51pm On May 27
You got it correct. It's due to poor mixing.

uncleteeh:

This is much, it could be due to poor material mixture or workmanship during plastering.
After painting it will still show up.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 2:23am On May 28
Good morning house,

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sekzy99(m): 5:05am On May 28
sekzy99:
Evening all.

Planning to resume my project

I need a rough estimate to get the following done.

1. Electrical Wiring (Considering going off grid in the next 5 years)
2. Plumbering system

Note:
1. It’s a 4 bedroom with 4 baths
2. Location is Mowe, Ogun State.
3. This estimate is to help me know how much I need to have at hand before I call on electrician and plumber.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cash1115(m): 7:24am On May 28
Available and affordable

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Procarpenter: 8:33am On May 28
justcallmenuel:
Good evening house, I want to know the best gauge for this roof and how much a square meter is sold for..

And which country has the best quality?
There’s a lot of best quality material of stone coated roofing sheets it depends on your capacity that you can afford sir kindly chat me up through my signature below. I’m available to work for you sir with warranty.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3680) (3681) (3682) (3683) (3684) (3685) (3686) ... (3696) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gabbytabby, rotecch77(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.