Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (418) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4421764 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (415) (416) (417) (418) (419) (420) (421) ... (3673) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 7:34pm On Jul 18, 2016
Oga / engineer Agba

long time.
of course. For us poor souls we pray that we will reach level where we can afford 700 per sqm tiler. Amen

[quote authoqr=segcymoor post=47672756]
400! Bros it may surprise u that their is tiler of 700!

----
Fact![/quote]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 7:52pm On Jul 18, 2016
segcymoor:

400! Bros it may surprise u that their is tiler of 700!

----
Fact!
Earlier this year i contacted Abtilefix to do a tiling job for me in Abuja, their charges! Only government contractors and politicians can afford it.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 18, 2016
I'm looking for "intelligent" feedback from those "using or have supported/installed" wholehouse 110 volts in Nigeria.

Please I'm not looking for reasons not to use it but rather the challenges and how it was solved.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 8:39pm On Jul 18, 2016
@ egunmojagi who you epp self ? I am a business man and don't even think of picking a fight with me 'I will just leave the forum for you . I don't notice people who doesn't care about someone else feelings . I don't know the words to use Broda cos I don't want to face ban !! How do you expect me to take your advice when you're acting like a kid ? Baba dudu abeg . Make we mature

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:09pm On Jul 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I'm looking for "intelligent" feedback from those "using or have supported/installed" wholehouse 110 volts in Nigeria.

Please I'm not looking for reasons not to use it but rather the challenges and how it was solved.

Thanks.
I think for this to work one must have a stepdown.
The war round this is to have a total sum of power need of all your appliances, then have a step down made to support the total wattage.
Im sure you can have this made to your specification if you have a design and a good factory i n china to do this.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:23pm On Jul 18, 2016
Paragon PVC Ceiling

Anyone with info on how much it cost? Someone urgently needs this info.

Regards.

_________

To my Oga homeowner who provided the much needed info via email for the Port Harcourt request, more mortar and bricks to your project. May the pocket never run dry. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 18, 2016
erico2k2:

I think for this to work one must have a stepdown.
The war round this is to have a total sum of power need of all your appliances, then have a step down made to support the total wattage.
Im sure you can have this made to your specification if you have a design and a good factory i n china to do this.

Oh I have that part covered.

I'm looking for day to day life experience living with 110 in a 220 country.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:12pm On Jul 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

I'm struggling to see why you decided so STRONGLY to do this.........please share. 110 volt in a 220 volt country?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 11:24pm On Jul 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Oh I have that part covered.

I'm looking for day to day life experience living with 110 in a 220 country.

Some corporate buildings in 9ja use the 110/220V split phase connection. There are wall sockets that have both and u can choose 110/220 by either horizontal/vertical positioning.

It will offer you flexibility

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 11:40pm On Jul 18, 2016
n3xt:

That's good to know. Can you be of assistance with the information required? I need current price of building materials for a multi-Dwelling project in that location.

Thanks bro.

Am disappointed. Is NTA RD. Mgbuoba, now within 20km radius of H52

brabus:

Sorry about that. I can imagine the cost of keeping your men on site without doing any work. Travel cost and the risks. I've been there before and I've placed a caveat on it. For now, my job is only limited to areas within 20km radius from H52.

Wishing you all the best!

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 11:41pm On Jul 18, 2016
Egun I dont see why this is not doable. Can one place the stepdown/ converter by the change over / Nepa room....so that way the voltage conversion is first done by converting 240v from the pole to the 120v needed in the house?

Shame on people wey say I dont contribute anything on nairaland other than busting fraudsters.

grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jul 18, 2016
diordaves:

I'm struggling to see why you decided so STRONGLY to do this.........please share. 110 volt in a 220 volt country?

An astute question Sir.

1) I "plan" on being totally off grid by going solar right from the onset. No business with Nepa, their uncertainty and 240-480 wahala. In my opinion, it's cheaper when doing this from the get go like I'm doing.

I'll simply invert DC from batteries to 110 AC.
2) I thoroughly have a distaste for GB style wall outlets and especially plugs. Can one be more obtuse in 2016? I mean everything went smaller. Apple dock connector = smaller, USB = micro USB, etc

3) Home Automation. I'm very pro home automation and it's been weeks since I touched wall switch or turned stuff on. I'm using Apple HomeKit (Siri) and Samsung SmartThings with Amazon Echo (Alexa). My wife teases me that they're my in house groupies grin

The accoutrements are more easily available, maybe to me, in 110 volts (US type plugs and switches).

4) Familiarity. I am more comfortable with 110 volts as s system.

5) At the risk of enraging some of the natives but my electricals will mostly come from US anyways. So it makes sense to run the house itself as 110.

The reason I ask this is that I suddenly realized the other day that if a component failed then I must have a spare on hand. For example an electrical breaker.

Assuming that I can't possibly be the only one do I thought I should ask others to get feedback on what they have ran into.

Admittedly, on the surface this makes no lick of sense but then I'm EgunMogaji wink

Here are some of the collection for the wee garage apartment.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:01am On Jul 19, 2016
3strikes:
Egun I dont see why this is not doable. Can one place the stepdown/ converter by the change over / Nepa room....so that way the voltage conversion is first done by converting 240v from the pole to the 120v needed in the house?

Shame on people wey say I dont contribute anything on nairaland other than busting fraudsters.

grin grin grin

grin

There's no need for a step-down actually.

Since it's solar (sorry I didn't specify that initially) the inverter just needs to supply 110 to a whole house surge protector and then to the breaker box.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 12:03am On Jul 19, 2016
3strikes:

grin grin grin

It might be more efficient if he draws/connects to the public 11kv and steps it down to 110v. Although the utility comp will change a higher tarrif(industrial tarrif), but your power will be more available and stable enough to run sensitive equipment

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:04am On Jul 19, 2016
44chux:

Some corporate buildings in 9ja use the 110/220V split phase connection. There are wall sockets that have both and u can choose 110/220 by either horizontal/vertical positioning.

That's the beauty of a 110v system.

One can combine two legs (if there's space in the breaker box) of a 110v to get 220v right there in the house without any other equipment.

You can't easily go from 220v to 110v without equipment, costly ones.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:06am On Jul 19, 2016
44chux:

It might be more efficient if he draws/connects to the public 11kv and steps it down to 110v. Although the utility comp will change a higher tarrif(industrial tarrif), but your power will be more available and stable enough to run sensitive equipment

Going totally off grid, so nepa can keep their tarrifs grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 12:10am On Jul 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

grin

There's no need for a step-down actually.

Since it's solar (sorry I didn't specify that initially) the inverter just needs to supply 110 to a whole house surge protector and then to the breaker box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SIRD4I2/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_504_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51t2qbdSC2L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C97_&psc=1&refRID=EZW314QTYTXJR0J30568

Update: just wanted to show there are still split phase inverters. You won't appreciate this flexibility until a friend/relation brings you an expensive toy that can't be used until... coz itz 220v

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:14am On Jul 19, 2016
ottersberger:
I would've suggested or opened an alternative thread to continue the learning process and exchange of ideas and knowledge we had hirtherto enjoyed on this thread, but i am positive the drama will also find its way there.

The thing is that, I have long opened a fight thread and broadcasted here but nobody cares for it... except here where everyone is supposed to be learning. I will soon disappeared from Nairaland as whole anyway.

The real fight thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/3038050/review-bash-praise-clients-builders

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 12:24am On Jul 19, 2016
mufutau55:

The thing is that, I have long opened a fight thread and broadcasted here but nobody cares for it... except here where everyone is supposed to be learning. I will soon disappeared from Nairaland as whole anyway.

Hajji M.

Baba pls don't do that without handing over the barton. if you must, pls let me know so I will create a new moniker: "mufutau56" and continue in ur footsteps.
grin

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:28am On Jul 19, 2016
44chux:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SIRD4I2/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_504_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51t2qbdSC2L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C97_&psc=1&refRID=EZW314QTYTXJR0J30568

Update: just wanted to show there are still split phase inverters. You won't appreciate this flexibility until a friend/relation brings you an expensive toy that can't be used until... coz itz 220v

Oooohhh that would really hurt grin cheesy grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 12:36am On Jul 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Oooohhh that would really hurt grin cheesy grin grin

Nah it wont...you will just pass it down to people like us and we will give you feedback on how well it works.. tongue

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:47am On Jul 19, 2016
n3xt:
Paragon PVC Ceiling
Anyone with info on how much it cost? Someone urgently needs this info.
Regards.
_________
To my Oga homeowner who provided the much needed info via email for the Port Harcourt request, more mortar and bricks to your project. May the pocket never run dry. Thanks.

On their site: http://www.amoulaventuresltd.com/orders.htm
(see below)

I have used this on one of my projects... very good material.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:50am On Jul 19, 2016
3strikes:

Nah it wont...you will just pass it down to people like us and we will give you feedback on how well it works.. tongue

I'll just bring my Debbie Does Dallas / Blueray and watch it at your house.

You know, we can't take nonsense like that to Hajjs house grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:02am On Jul 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I'll just bring my Debbie Does Dallas / Blueray and watch it at your house.
You know, we can't take nonsense like that to Hajjs house grin

Are you kidding? Even sipping non-Alcoholic Hennessy sef. I am game o. smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:04am On Jul 19, 2016
44chux:

Baba pls don't do that without handing over the barton. if you must, pls let me know so I will create a new moniker: "mufutau56" and continue in ur footsteps. grin

LOL!

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:28am On Jul 19, 2016
mufutau55:

On their site: http://www.amoulaventuresltd.com/orders.htm
(see below)

I have used this on one of my projects... very good material.

Hajji M.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 2:59am On Jul 19, 2016
I was doing some research and stumbled upon this. Thought it was interesting so I decided to share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzhea4ckBAQ
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:06am On Jul 19, 2016
44chux:

44chux:

Sure. Same way you can have some 110V gadgets that are useless cos you are on 220V.

I have the hotel styled 110V/220V Twin Voltage shaver sockets by MK in my baths and couple of universal travel adapters for quick use in other areas (equipment room and the kitchen).

I knew this was standard installation in Total FinalElf office in VI and many other multinational organizations.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:44am On Jul 19, 2016
msogunro:
I was doing some research and stumbled upon this. Thought it was interesting so I decided to share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzhea4ckBAQ

I've seen a video of it being used in Ghana.

As I get more involved with my build I am seeing total wastefulness in how we build.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:14am On Jul 19, 2016
Anyone else into home automation?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 5:30am On Jul 19, 2016
I am requesting for a big role from you people here and i will take that role very serious.
Since elders can't control trolls, "small" agarawu should be able to. grin

Agarawu will be dealing with ANY moniker that's derailing this thread I.e not talking about building constructions. Any other discussion should go here https://www.nairaland.com/3038050/review-bash-praise-clients-builders

When we open this thread, let's read something meaningful and not the same old shyt.

Click like if you want me to play to that role share this post if you don't.

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:51am On Jul 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

An astute question Sir.

1) I "plan" on being totally off grid by going solar right from the onset. No business with Nepa, their uncertainty and 240-480 wahala. In my opinion, it's cheaper when doing this from the get go like I'm doing.

I'll simply invert DC from batteries to 110 AC.
2) I thoroughly have a distaste for GB style wall outlets and especially plugs. Can one be more obtuse in 2016? I mean everything went smaller. Apple dock connector = smaller, USB = micro USB, etc

3) Home Automation. I'm very pro home automation and it's been weeks since I touched wall switch or turned stuff on. I'm using Apple HomeKit (Siri) and Samsung SmartThings with Amazon Echo (Alexa). My wife teases me that they're my in house groupies grin

The accoutrements are more easily available, maybe to me, in 110 volts (US type plugs and switches).

4) Familiarity. I am more comfortable with 110 volts as s system.

5) At the risk of enraging some of the natives but my electricals will mostly come from US anyways. So it makes sense to run the house itself as 110.

The reason I ask this is that I suddenly realized the other day that if a component failed then I must have a spare on hand. For example an electrical breaker.

Assuming that I can't possibly be the only one do I thought I should ask others to get feedback on what they have ran into.

Admittedly, on the surface this makes no lick of sense but then I'm EgunMogaji wink

Here are some of the collection for the wee garage apartment.

So the advantages are just personal and not global......you are familiar with 110 grid but the cost of that familiarity is the simplicity you've forgone. Just on academic note since you've made up your mind, this whole build is a retirement end point. I'm not sure I will want to complicate my retirement contraption; I will keep it functional, simple and in sync with what's obtainable locally for there will be complications and pockets of inconvenience. You cannot swim against the tide long term without cost and complication.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (415) (416) (417) (418) (419) (420) (421) ... (3673) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: bfire(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.